What McVay said to Tavon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MachS

Hall of Fame
In the first half we used a timeout for what I'm assuming was a formation mistake, but did anyone read McVay's lips when Tavon walked over to the sideline??

Tavon was walking over and the camera was zoomed in on McVay and he asked Tavon twice "what don't you understand?"

I think this tells us Tavon is still adjusting to the new offense and isn't 100% where he needs to be. The good news is he's been effective already and that should only increase as he gets more comfortable.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I agree. Tavon is starting to find his groove. But this is probably why he doesn't have tavon running routes, not confident in him yet. But there's no denying that tavon could make this offense unstoppable.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think this tells us Tavon is still adjusting to the new offense and isn't 100% where he needs to be

Not a surprise is it? I think the guy is a very slow learner and probably milked out the hammy if he did have a problem initially, in order to buy time to learn the offense.

But I'm gonna go easy on Tavon this week, since he did contribute positively to a huge team win. Good to see him produce out of the backfield, the guy really did a nice job spelling TG.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Did he really say that? McVay Doesn’t seem the type to say something like that.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Don't think he was being facetious, think McVay genuinely was asking him what part of the play didn't he understand, so he could correct him.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
In the first half we used a timeout for what I'm assuming was a formation mistake, but did anyone ready McVay's lips when Tavon walked over to the sideline??

Tavon was walking over and the camera was zoomed in on McVay and he asked Tavon twice "what don't you understand?"

I think this tells us Tavon is still adjusting to the new offense and isn't 100% where he needs to be. The good news is he's been effective already and that should only increase as he gets more comfortable.

Yep, that's basically what I read.
Tavon is grossly overpaid.

Ram65

Legend
Tavon had a great game.

He was slow learning the offense year one. I don't know what the problem was today. I hope he gets more opps. I'm sure he works hard at learning the plays because by all accounts he is considered a hard worker. Like to see him get some routes.

MachS

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The way we ran our fly sweeps today was slightly different, a wrinkle that was put in. If I remember correctly that was the first time we ran it so McVay seemed frustrated Tavon wasn't in the right spot. Probably something we repped multiple times this week.

It looks like McVay doesn't put up with mental mistakes. And when they happen it seems they get corrected unlike during the previous regime.

Overall I thought Tavon played well today. This was just interesting to me though as McVay seems typically pretty chill.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep, that's basically what I read.
Tavon is grossly overpaid.

What do you care? It's not your money. The rams can't cut him to save money and wouldn't cut him because he's a valuable piece of the offense. Don't understand why you're whining after such a great win.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
McVay expects perfection. I don't think his system is terribly complex to learn, it just has a lot of variables and is tough to defend.

He puts guys in position to make plays. Basically 180 to Fisher.

Last edited:

Flint

Pro Bowler
McVay does well on camera and seems like really likable guy in the interviews I've seen, but I think there's another side to him that's not so visible. Clearly he knows how he wants the offense run but he's also the OC so he should have the answers.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
What do you care? It's not your money. The rams can't cut him to save money and wouldn't cut him because he's a valuable piece of the offense. Don't understand why you're whining after such a great win.

I care a lot as all Rams fans should.
Because the money they wasted on him could have been used to extend Tree or AD.
THAT'S why I care, and why YOU should care.

Ellard80

Legend

Well lol.. if you think this is harsh for a Football coach.. im guessing that was sarcasm.

Because.. yeah that's 0.1 % of the level that any football coach I ever had would take it to.

I heard at least "What don't you fucking understand?" To the worst being comments about people's mothers having bigger schlongs then then them... all true.. but I'm sure if any of you played football you heard worst.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
He can make this offense very dangerous and I would love to see him succeed BUT I think they are showing him off all over the field and seeing if a team is interested. He just doesn't seem to fit

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
there's no denying that Tavon COULD make this offense unstoppable.
Tavon's career has been a textbook example so far of "Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda".

If anybody could do it it should be McVay.

Sorry, but after 4 years I'm going to wait till I see it happening.