We have to draft Winston

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Guys to think that Bradford is ever going to be healthy for a full year again is more than wishful thinking IMO. I was a huge Bradford fan and I still think he has enough talent to lead a team and win a Superbowl, however his body won't allow him to. He has pretty much conpletely missed 4 of the last 6 years of his football career. If you are running a team and using your brain and not your heart, you have to let him go.

Who knows when he'll be back next year and how the integrity of his knee has been effected by these knee injuries. So why not throw the new kid into the fire and let him develop. We will have a decent team around him.
Well, Geno Smith is one reason why.

I'd much rather the Rams find a guy who isn't getting all the press but is actually a good fit. Winston is the big name right now but to me, it looks like a bit of a down year for QB's. I wouldn't feel comfortable at all spending a first on one with all the other problems the Rams have.

And what about Gilbert? Has that ship sailed already? I thought he was a developmental guy that they wanted to bring along slowly. Seems like Bradford, Davis and Gilbert will be the one's competing for the starting job and I can't say that I'm opposed to that. I'd much rather build up the rest of the team with draft picks and get more immediate help or more picks with the 2015 first rounder.

V3

Hall of Fame
Only in sports will someone say "other than the sexual assault" and be serious.
I think that applies to any kind of celebrity. When a person is a celebrity, you have to keep an open mind and not jump to conclusions. Sadly, this world is a place where people will say and do anything to get 15 minutes of fame and/or money. All we as Rams fans have to do is look at Steven Jackson. A few years ago, some girl accused him a rape and it turned out she was lying. It's happened many times before and it's going to happen countless time more.

I'll just add, I have no idea what happened. I'm not saying he's innocent or guilty.

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Gilbert is not on the roster, is he even on the practice squad? Isn't Kenum there I can't imagine having 2 QBs there.

moklerman

Warner-phile
The last 4 years he has missed 9 games last year and 6 games 2 years ago. I get that he has a hell of a battle to get back to compete but let's not over exaggerate. If Bradford can some how get back to play a couple of preseason game, full healed not gimping around, he will still be the best option for 2015.
I'm still hoping that Bradford makes it back but I admit, I also am very leery of depending on his knee. But, is it actually possible that he just got unlucky twice? If one is pulling for him I guess you have to adopt that mindset but the hit that took him out this year was very awkward looking more than it was a big hit. I don't think all of his injuries can be ignored but IMO, there's still the possibility that he's just had some bad luck.

My gut tells me that the Rams are going to give Bradford one last chance. Maybe not as the unquestioned starter but taking a QB in the first means they have to move on for all intents and purposes. I don't feel they're ready to cut bait with Bradford. But he's down to his last chance with this team.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
In reality, a lot of teams could be viewed as 'set' at the QB position. Certainly teams in the same W-L position as the Rams. Tampa would take a QB, and the Jets might because Rex probably gives way to a new regime.

Jax just spent a 1st on Bortles, Tenn. will stand pat with Mettenberger and Oakland just invested in Carr. Houston and Washington are both likely to look at a QB, and it might be a foot race between them and the Rams to see who gets a shot at a QB.

Shuie3225

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The last 4 years he has missed 9 games last year and 6 games 2 years ago. I get that he has a hell of a battle to get back to compete but let's not over exaggerate. If Bradford can some how get back to play a couple of preseason game, full healed not gimping around, he will still be the best option for 2015.

Let's not get into a Bradford debate but 09-shoulder 10-healthy 11-high ankle 12-healthy 13-acl 14-acl.

4 of the last 6 he has been hurt. If we draft a rookie qb in round 1 he will be the best option for us. We would have to start developing him and getting him continuity with our offense. How would allowing Bradford to play next year help us for the future.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm still hoping that Bradford makes it back but I admit, I also am very leery of depending on his knee. But, is it actually possible that he just got unlucky twice? If one is pulling for him I guess you have to adopt that mindset but the hit that took him out this year was very awkward looking more than it was a big hit. I don't think all of his injuries can be ignored but IMO, there's still the possibility that he's just had some bad luck.

My gut tells me that the Rams are going to give Bradford one last chance. Maybe not as the unquestioned starter but taking a QB in the first means they have to move on for all intents and purposes. I don't feel they're ready to cut bait with Bradford. But he's down to his last chance with this team.
I agree I think they will give him a chance but they really need to look for a player that can be a number one guy. I thought Davis might surprise us all and he might still but they have to be ready to draft a guy in the first round. Hundley is moving passed Mariota for me more because of where I thin we will draft. But getting one of those two does not mean they could be THE guy next year.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Only in sports will someone say "other than the sexual assault" and be serious.
I wasn't down playing it. I might be wrong, but isn't that situation still being investigated?

IMO, if the sexual assault is a legitimate charge against him I wouldn't consider him at all. If he is cleared of any wrong doing I'd probably be able to look past the crab legs and "fuck her right in the pussy" silliness.

Shuie3225

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Comparing Winston to Russell or Vince Young isn't fair to me. While I understand your point about having your QB a leader and a mature person on and off the field, I think these are different cases. Jamarcus was just a pure bust with a great arm but I was never a fan of him or thought he would be special in the league. V. Young had other issues going on and I don't think was completely healthy mentally or mentally strong enough to handle the stress of the NFL.

You can't say that Winston isn't a leader. He leads his guys on the field. He plays great in great moments and is a winner. Does that make you forget about all the other idiotic decisions he makes off the field? Of course not. But in our division with the defenses we have, a physically imposing and strong qb that can make plays with his legs when needed is a neccessity. He has more pro tools and has PROVEN to win again and again in big games. His mental strength is evident when dealing with all the scrutiny. I think he is battle tested and would be a great fit if he could mature and become a pro.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Anyone comparing Winston to Young or Russell from a football IQ standpoint should really take a look at him. He's nothing like them.

Since the media talks down on the Rams and the Winston, it'll be a match made in hell (in an awesome way). They'll both play like they're possessed by the devil himself and we'll likely be the one of the hated teams in the NFL. He will likely bring swagger to the team that will motivate the defense to kill Krapondick even more

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think he is battle tested and would be a great fit if he could mature and become a pro.

This is key.
It's also not out of the question. He could very well be a great NFL player.
It's just a bit dicey.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Let's not get into a Bradford debate but 09-shoulder 10-healthy 11-high ankle 12-healthy 13-acl 14-acl.

4 of the last 6 he has been hurt. If we draft a rookie qb in round 1 he will be the best option for us. We would have to start developing him and getting him continuity with our offense. How would allowing Bradford to play next year help us for the future.
I agree that the Rams shouldn't put all of their eggs in the basket of Bradford's health but it isn't outside the realm of possibility that Bradford could have an Alex Smith, Matt Stafford, etc. type of run of health. He's only 27 and if he finds a way to stay healthy, has a good 8+ years of playing time left and would solve the Rams' QB situation.

Now, no one can count on that but if the Rams draft a 1st round QB, that means that Bradford is gone as any kind of option. I think it would be more prudent to find out if Bradford can come back as well as having another option in reserve as opposed to drafting a 1st round QB and starting over. Unless there is a Luck/Elway type of sure bet QB sitting there, I'm not ready for this team to start over at QB again.

It can seem like it's easy to find a QB in the draft but look at Oakland or Cleveland or Tampa Bay or any number of other teams that keep trying to find their heir apparent. It is, in fact, very difficult to land a starting QB in the draft. But it comes down to "the devil you know". I'd be right there with you if there was a QB in the draft that I thought was worth rolling the dice on but as it stands, I think rolling the dice on Bradford's health is a better bet than rolling the dice on one of these college guys.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Anyone comparing Winston to Young or Russell from a football IQ standpoint should really take a look at him. He's nothing like them.

Since the media talks down on the Rams and the Winston, it'll be a match made in hell (in an awesome way). They'll both play like they're possessed by the devil himself and we'll likely be the one of the hated teams in the NFL. He will likely bring swagger to the team that will motivate the defense to kill Krapondick even more
Winston hasn't done anything at the NFL level yet.
I'm not saying he won't either.
I'm just saying, the immaturity shouldn't be taken likely.
We have seen many immature players, with tons of talent and upside, fail.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Winston hasn't done anything at the NFL level yet.
I'm not saying he won't either.
I'm just saying, the immaturity shouldn't be taken likely.
We have seen many immature players, with tons of talent and upside, fail.
That's really the biggest point for me. A first round QB is a huge risk and generally an admission of starting over. Sure, sometimes guys can mature and pull it all together but in this day and age of symposiums designed to prep these guys how to act and conduct themselves it's a very disconcerting player who still gets into lots of trouble.

Sure, stealing crab legs or cussing at other students or whatever isn't a huge issue all on it's own or when applied to the average college student. But when you add it all up and couple it with the publicists covering up what they can as well as the player being constantly advised on what not to do...it does not instill any confidence in the ability of that player to all of a sudden "get it" and fly the straight and narrow. Then hand that guy millions of dollars to boot?

I mean, there was a chance that Ryan Leaf and Lawrence Philips would mature and take responsibility for themselves too but I don't see the upside in taking that risk. Winston, IMO, isn't so far(if at all) better than other college QB's that a team would want to risk him being the head case that he seems to be.

I'm too set in my preference for a more prototypical, dropback passer though so I never get too excited about guys that seem to depend on their threat of running to set up their passing game. I agree that it can be a weapon but in terms of approach, I'd much rather the Rams emulated what the 49ers and Seahawks did and find a guy later in the draft.

But I'd still take what Arians and Palmer are doing.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I wasn't down playing it. I might be wrong, but isn't that situation still being investigated?

IMO, if the sexual assault is a legitimate charge against him I wouldn't consider him at all. If he is cleared of any wrong doing I'd probably be able to look past the crab legs and "freak her right in the pussy" silliness.

What about the pellet gun thing? $4,000 worth of damage is a felony and that magically got swept under the rug. The landlord had actually been trying to evict him and his roomies because of all the complaints.

The guy seems to be a turd.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That's really the biggest point for me. A first round QB is a huge risk and generally an admission of starting over. Sure, sometimes guys can mature and pull it all together but in this day and age of symposiums designed to prep these guys how to act and conduct themselves it's a very disconcerting player who still gets into lots of trouble.

Sure, stealing crab legs or cussing at other students or whatever isn't a huge issue all on it's own or when applied to the average college student. But when you add it all up and couple it with the publicists covering up what they can as well as the player being constantly advised on what not to do...it does not instill any confidence in the ability of that player to all of a sudden "get it" and fly the straight and narrow. Then hand that guy millions of dollars to boot?

I mean, there was a chance that Ryan Leaf and Lawrence Philips would mature and take responsibility for themselves too but I don't see the upside in taking that risk. Winston, IMO, isn't so far(if at all) better than other college QB's that a team would want to risk him being the head case that he seems to be.

I'm too set in my preference for a more prototypical, dropback passer though so I never get too excited about guys that seem to depend on their threat of running to set up their passing game. I agree that it can be a weapon but in terms of approach, I'd much rather the Rams emulated what the 49ers and Seahawks did and find a guy later in the draft.

But I'd still take what Arians and Palmer are doing.

I'm good letting Davis play next year too if there isn't a guy worth taking high in the draft. Wait until next year and make a move. If this is as you say a weak QB class just sit still and use that pick for an area of need. For example MLB.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
#1. Winston isn't a talent worthy of future 1st rounders and that's the only leverage we have.
#2. We most assuredly need to draft an OG, if not two, and that will require the use of those 2nd and 3rd round picks.
#3. We likely need another LB.
#4. Center.

Your points are absolutely valid, but it doesn't mean that Fisher and Snead feel the same way.

If they really want Winston they'll try and get him.
That's my only point.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I'm good letting Davis play next year too if there isn't a guy worth taking high in the draft. Wait until next year and make a move. If this is as you say a weak QB class just sit still and use that pick for an area of need. For example MLB.
I just wish I had more confidence in Snisher to identify what a good QB actually is. Well, not just them as most teams don't fare to well at predicting that sort of thing but there are good QB's that aren't the first one's off the board. If Andrew Luck is sitting there, okay fine but it's very difficult to get any "value" with those sort of guys. They have to really play well just to warrant their draft spot and contract.

As bad as most of the QB's in the league are though, I'm very reluctant to just jettison Bradford. When you add that to the very particular type of QB needed to perform well in Schotty's system, I just don't see very good odds for the Rams in taking one of these QB's with very obvious question marks. That's not to say that one or more of them won't turn into something or that the Rams absolutely shouldn't take that approach but Bradford's health is a better risk than the complete unknown of a rookie. At least for 2015.

Because as much as I want the Rams to really improve and even do something different, it's taken too long to instill what's here and it has worked at times. 2015 is a make or break year for this entire regime for me. If Bradford can't stay healthy or if the offense can't get clicking consistently or if they can't get above .500...I think it's time to scrap it all. But I'll give 'em one more year.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Apples and oranges, I know... Lawrence Phillips was a very, very talented RB that the Rams thought they could get straightened out...

Sum1

Hall of Fame
What about the pellet gun thing? $4,000 worth of damage is a felony and that magically got swept under the rug. The landlord had actually been trying to evict him and his roomies because of all the complaints.

The guy seems to be a turd.
I honestly don't know anything about it to have an opinion. Very well could be a problematic guy...but I also remember doing or seeing others do a lot of really dumb crap at that age in college.

...though I also wasn't a star football player at a major program either.