We have to draft Winston

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Somehow I get this feeling that now with Connor Cook staying in school that Brett Hundley will be the target because they compare him to Steve McNair so we know how Fisher felt about him and I do think Hundley might be there when the Rams draft whereas Mariota and Winston will not.

That's funny. I'd think that Winston would project to Mcnair better than Hundley would.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Other than the sexual assault issue...his off field stuff is silly kid shit. Immature, maybe...but it's stuff that can be overcome with age/time.

His talent appears to be through the roof.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Im torn on him, he probably is the best qb prospect in college football but he is an aweful person off the field. There is also a pretty good chance he stays another year anyways.

Athos

Legend
Well, unless they decide to trade up to get him.
It probably won't cost much more than they gave up to draft Austin, and look at how well that's worked out.

We've already traded away a 4th and 6th rounder for Barron. I really don't see us trading up. I see us trading down in the 1st, and possibly the 2nd as more likely options, unless we luck into Mariota.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I didn't read it but agree FULLY with the title. We gotta have him...

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Relax. Sam will be back.
It would be irresponsible for the Rams to rely on that at this point. I'd love to see Sam completely bounce back and take the starting job back...but simply can't expect that.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
It would be irresponsible for the Rams to rely on that at this point. I'd love to see Sam completely bounce back and take the starting job back...but simply can't expect that.

I guess so. We need to have a backup plan - but I feel that there are still a few other holes that require filling. The thing is - we're not going to be in a position to draft Mariota or Winston (or maybe Hundley or whatever - because its a long, long time yet to the draft and usually the guys who are talked about this far in advance fall - and guys come from nowhere etc) and I really don't want to see us give up the house to get one of them. Its easy to say "well Trade Sam and get some picks" but he's got no trade value. I suppose we could trade Stacy and try to recoup some picks that way for it?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I guess so. We need to have a backup plan - but I feel that there are still a few other holes that require filling. The thing is - we're not going to be in a position to draft Mariota or Winston (or maybe Hundley or whatever - because its a long, long time yet to the draft and usually the guys who are talked about this far in advance fall - and guys come from nowhere etc) and I really don't want to see us give up the house to get one of them. Its easy to say "well Trade Sam and get some picks" but he's got no trade value. I suppose we could trade Stacy and try to recoup some picks that way for it?
I didn't say we have to draft one of the top guys or imply to trade Sam. It would be impossible to trade Sam with his contract.

I'm just saying that to go all in on Bradford would be foolish. Bring him back (hopefully at a reduced price) and make him compete for the job, be it against Davis, another vet, rookie, whoever. And I mean a real competition with a legitimate alternative...not some BS competition against lesser talents. At this point I don't know that Austin Davis would really qualify as that, but he at least has earned the right to compete for a backup job.

I'd be ok with Austin Davis, Sam Bradford, a rookie in the first 3 rounds, and perhaps another vet fighting it out for the 3 spots.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
We've already traded away a 4th and 6th rounder for Barron. I really don't see us trading up. I see us trading down in the 1st, and possibly the 2nd as more likely options, unless we luck into Mariota.

They were willing to pay a heavy price to trade back up to take Zack Martin in round 1.
It just didn't work out.

If they felt strongly about Winston why wouldn't they try and get him?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
When I hear the phrase "incredibly talented, but has maturity issues" I think of J. Russell and V. Young.

Your QB is the team leader. Maturity issues should not be taken lightly.

I liked that the Panthers owner sat down personally with Newton. He had a one on one conversation with him regarding the organization's expectations from their team leader.
Cams been great for the organization

V3

Hall of Fame
Yeah, after yesterday's game, Bradford gets another chance. I want the Rams to draft a QB high in the draft but I want Bradford as our starter next year.
How do we even know he'll be ready to play next year? From what I've read, it takes longer to recover from a 2nd ACL tear. That's a BIG "if" to risk your entire season on. Beyond that, do you think Bradford is going to take a huge paycut to come back here on a "prove it" deal? I have my doubts. And after all that, why would anyone think Bradford could even make it a full season anymore?

V3

Hall of Fame
When I hear the phrase "incredibly talented, but has maturity issues" I think of J. Russell and V. Young.

Your QB is the team leader. Maturity issues should not be taken lightly.

I liked that the Panthers owner sat down personally with Newton. He had a one on one conversation with him regarding the organization's expectations from their team leader.
Cams been great for the organization
Those two were also dumb as rocks. I don't know how intelligent Winston is but just hearing Russell or Young talk, you could tell your IQ was dropping just by listening.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Other than the sexual assault issue...his off field stuff is silly kid crap. Immature, maybe...but it's stuff that can be overcome with age/time.

His talent appears to be through the roof.

Only in sports will someone say "other than the sexual assault" and be serious.

Shuie3225

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Guys to think that Bradford is ever going to be healthy for a full year again is more than wishful thinking IMO. I was a huge Bradford fan and I still think he has enough talent to lead a team and win a Superbowl, however his body won't allow him to. He has pretty much conpletely missed 4 of the last 6 years of his football career. If you are running a team and using your brain and not your heart, you have to let him go.

Who knows when he'll be back next year and how the integrity of his knee has been effected by these knee injuries. So why not throw the new kid into the fire and let him develop. We will have a decent team around him.

Athos

Legend
They were willing to pay a heavy price to trade back up to take Zack Martin in round 1.
It just didn't work out.

If they felt strongly about Winston why wouldn't they try and get him?

#1. Winston isn't a talent worthy of future 1st rounders and that's the only leverage we have.
#2. We most assuredly need to draft an OG, if not two, and that will require the use of those 2nd and 3rd round picks.
#3. We likely need another LB.
#4. Center.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Guys to think that Bradford is ever going to be healthy for a full year again is more than wishful thinking IMO. I was a huge Bradford fan and I still think he has enough talent to lead a team and win a Superbowl, however his body won't allow him to. He has pretty much conpletely missed 4 of the last 6 years of his football career. If you are running a team and using your brain and not your heart, you have to let him go.

Who knows when he'll be back next year and how the integrity of his knee has been effected by these knee injuries. So why not throw the new kid into the fire and let him develop. We will have a decent team around him.
The last 4 years he has missed 9 games last year and 6 games 2 years ago. I get that he has a hell of a battle to get back to compete but let's not over exaggerate. If Bradford can some how get back to play a couple of preseason game, full healed not gimping around, he will still be the best option for 2015.