Todd Gurley trade for David Johnson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Gurley is 3 years younger than Johnson too - and history suggests that a RBs production will taper off once he hits 30.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Gurley is 3 years younger than Johnson too - and history suggests that a RBs production will taper off once he hits 30.

A great point to worth mentioning BuffaloRam.

David Johnson.. Born 12/16/1991 (age 24)
Todd Gurley........ Born 08/03/1994 (age 21)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
David Johson is obviously the better receiving option, but Gurley is obviously better at everything else. I'll even admit that & look at my avi. Both are special talents, but Gurley is just a different breed.
Guess we'll see. Gurley was purposely not used in the passing game last year as his knee was not 100% and turning to catch would put added stress on the knee. The coaches said as much during the off season. We will likely see him more in the passing game this season but if he is reeling off 50 yard TDs, what's the point? I'd just as soon see him used in the best way that helps the team. The idea that he couldn't be used as a pass catcher is just not based in reality. He's a far better running back than Johnson. He's simply better with the ball in his hands whether it be by the pass, lateral, or hand off.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You don't tell your son anything. He's a Cardinals fan. It won't matter.

As for the question, there's zero chance I'd trade Gurley for David Johnson. The only advantage Johnson has is pass-catching, and Gurley is pretty darn good at that too. Gurley has advantages in athleticism, physicality, vision, instincts, strength, etc.

It's just not close between them as pure runners.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
David Johson is obviously the better receiving option, but Gurley is obviously better at everything else. I'll even admit that & look at my avi. Both are special talents, but Gurley is just a different breed.

Saying David Johnson is "obviously" the better receiving back is ridiculous. Just because AZ's offense and their QB gave him more opportunities to catch the ball doesn't mean he's better at being a receiving back. Put Gurley in that offense and he would do just as good if not better receiving the ball.

Just because Gurley didn't have as many opportunities to catch the ball doesn't mean he's inferior at it.

Athos

Legend
The Eagles were awful defensively last year(30th in the league) but DJ has nice moves in traffic and is great in open space for a big back, but at 6'1" 225 he should be better in between the tackles and forcing his will physically IMO. Reminds me a little bit of Steven Jackson that way.

I look at some of those holes and runs Johnson didn't finish, and some of the slow footedness in hitting the hole and then think if Todd was on that team, he'd have gone for 300+ total yards.

DVontel

Rookie
Saying David Johnson is "obviously" the better receiving back is ridiculous. Just because AZ's offense and their QB gave him more opportunities to catch the ball doesn't mean he's better at being a receiving back. Put Gurley in that offense and he would do just as good if not better receiving the ball.

Just because Gurley didn't have as many opportunities to catch the ball doesn't mean he's inferior at it.
Dunno dude. Do yourself know? Maybe you could ask someones elses.
I guess not man. My myself screwed up. I'll will make sure to not make that mistake next time. :)

DVontel

Rookie

It's not, but if you believe he's better at that too, then all the power to you my good man.

DVontel

Rookie
Guess we'll see. Gurley was purposely not used in the passing game last year as his knee was not 100% and turning to catch would put added stress on the knee. The coaches said as much during the off season. We will likely see him more in the passing game this season but if he is reeling off 50 yard TDs, what's the point? I'd just as soon see him used in the best way that helps the team. The idea that he couldn't be used as a pass catcher is just not based in reality. He's a far better running back than Johnson. He's simply better with the ball in his hands whether it be by the pass, lateral, or hand off.
That's fine & all, & I have no problem admitting Gurley is a better RB, but I don't think Gurley is or will be a better receiving option than Johnson. That's going back to their college tape as well. However, like you said, what it does matter if he's piling up rushing TDs each week? Gurley is great, maybe even elite very soon, but David is a damn great RB as well.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Gurley actually ran mid 4.3s in high school. His old teammate, Keith Marshall, said that if Todd had run at the Combine he would've had a sub-4.4 time. Keith knows a thing or two about speed too. Gurley also raced Chris Conley at practice several times and Todd won all but one race. Conley ran a 4.35 at the Combine. Gurley has some serious speed and he should get more of it back this year.

This^^^^^^^^^^

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
but David is a damn great RB as well.

No arguments with you there. I think where we run into the problem is when the OP said his son wouldn't trade straight up for Gurley. I think even Bruce Arians might think that's a bit ridiculous. My thoughts when I read that....

azcards

UDFA
No arguments with you there. I think where we run into the problem is when the OP said his son wouldn't trade straight up for Gurley. I think even Bruce Arians might think that's a bit ridiculous. My thoughts when I read that....

LOL! That gif is great.

IIRC, the Cards were targeting Gurley in the 1st round and would have taken him if available. But hell with Gurley off the board I'm glad the Cars have Dj since Gurley wasn't an option anymore. And since Glass Ellington can't stay healthy, having Chris and Dj sure beats just Ellington.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
They're both perfect fits for their team.

David Johnson is a pretty good runner with great pass catching skills as a former WR. In a pass happy offense, he's an excellent fit.

Todd Gurley is a great runner with pretty good pass catching skills. In a run first offense, he's an excellent fit.

I think both teams would be stupid to trade. They have the perfect guys for what they do already.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They're both perfect fits for their team.

David Johnson is a pretty good runner with great pass catching skills as a former WR. In a pass happy offense, he's an excellent fit.

Todd Gurley is a great runner with pretty good pass catching skills. In a run first offense, he's an excellent fit.

I think both teams would be stupid to trade. They have the perfect guys for what they do already.

Disagree. Cardinals would not hesitate to make the trade. The running game has always been important to Arians. Gurley is a quality pass-catcher and brings something to the running game that only a handful of other backs in the league can. He's a true match-up nightmare in an offense like Arizona's. Defenses would have to pick their poison. They'd have to leave the box open for Gurley to gash them or open themselves up to Arians's favorite weapon, the deep ball.

Gurley changes the way defenses have to gameplan for Arizona. Arians would jump all over that. Especially because he could involve him in the passing game without any issue. An elite running back mixed with a top tier passing attack is just lethal.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Gurley was picked tenth overall despite recovering from a torn ACL, and despite running backs generally not being first round value anymore. Johnson was drafted in the middle of round 3. These picks were based on college production and measurable. From that perspective it isn't even close. Gurley's's potential is off the charts and Johnson just looks like a good back.

Before anyone says that you cannot look at it that way, I will say you absolutely can, because these players only played one NFL season under very different conditions. One on a playoff caliber team with a top offense and the other still recovering from his injury, on one of the worst offenses in the league, with a mostly rookie offensive line. So, the most tangible things we have to compare them is their college career, and Todd wins that hands down.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I have a feeling in the Boras/Groh offense Gurley will put to rest what kind of receiving back he is. While Goff is still getting his feet wet Gurley will be the offense. By ground and by air.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Gurley was picked tenth overall despite recovering from a torn ACL, and despite running backs generally not being first round value anymore. Johnson was drafted in the middle of round 3. These picks were based on college production and measurable. From that perspective it isn't even close. Gurley's's potential is off the charts and Johnson just looks like a good back.

Before anyone says that you cannot look at it that way, I will say you absolutely can, because these players only played one NFL season under very different conditions. One on a playoff caliber team with a top offense and the other still recovering from his injury, on one of the worst offenses in the league, with a mostly rookie offensive line. So, the most tangible things we have to compare them is their college career, and Todd wins that hands down.

And even with all those factors holding Gurley back he still averaged more YPC than Johnson. It really isn't close, Gurley is far and away the better running back.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I thought one of you guys was suggesting this.....and was gonna freak out....

No real comparison...not yet...let DJ start a whole season...be the main weapon...I'll let you know...even with a top rated offense...but at the moment, he's just the avg. back...pretty good when there's pieces all around...
gurley is a bulletin board, gameplan around, type player...