Todd Gurley trade for David Johnson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
I can appreciate your sons fandom, but he's just plain wrong.

David Johnson is good but he's no Todd Gurley. He did well in AZ because of their offense.

Here's the deciding question, you put DJ in our offense would he do as good as Gurley did (I think that's a big no from most people)? Now flip that, Gurley in the AZ offense? You've got to be mad if you don't think Gurley would be better in the AZ offense than DJ.

BeachRam78

Rookie
Name
john
No way I would even consider that trade. Even if the Cards threw in two 1sts. Todd is on a completely different level and any doubters will see that this year. David Johnson is a good player but it's not even close between him and our boy Gurley.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well, this year, 2016, Gurrrley will probably get 20 touches per game, and he wants to be more involved in the passing game!
Last Season, and he didn't play in the first 4 games, according to Roto world, his stats looked like this:
Rushing;
229 for 1106 Yds. / 85.1 Per,Gm. / 5 - 100+ Yd. Games / and 10 TD's!
Receiving;
21 for 188 Yds. / a 9.0 average.
And according to Roto-world he only had "1 Fumble!"

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Here's how that conversation would go down in my house,

SON: No, Dad, I would not make that trade for Gurley.

ME: You know you were adopted, right?

Last edited:

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I think its a fair to say Gurley is the better pure power/speed and more natural instinctive runner after their rookie seasons. David Johnson looks to be the real deal and I like his game.

Now because Arizona had Johnson more involved in the passing game and this question is based on future fantasy statistics, I will give an honest answer. Trade Gurley for David Johnson? hmmmm

14093181232251.gif

DVontel

Rookie
David Johson is obviously the better receiving option, but Gurley is obviously better at everything else. I'll even admit that & look at my avi. Both are special talents, but Gurley is just a different breed.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Pure talent wise Gurley is the better player, by far IMO. Fantasy wise you can make a strong argument for Johnson because he catches alot of passes. However if you put Gurley on the Cards and he is asked to do what Johnson does I think Gurleys stats would be crazy.

I would like to see Gurley more involved in the passing game now that the shackles are off. If he is, he definitely would have similar stats compared to Johnson if not better.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Pure talent wise Gurley is the better player, by far IMO. Fantasy wise you can make a strong argument for Johnson because he catches alot of passes. However if you put Gurley on the Cards and he is asked to do what Johnson does I think Gurleys stats would be crazy.

I would like to see Gurley more involved in the passing game now that the shackles are off. If he is, he definitely would have similar stats compared to Johnson if not better.

With the shackles off and Gurley likely being featured more in the passing game, the only thing holding that area of his stats back in 2016 is Benny Cunningham. Benny was mostly the feature 3rd down back last season and that obviously hindered TG's snaps & results in his receiving statistics.

Benny and the other RB's need their game snaps to keep TG fresh but I can't imagine it being proportioned as it was in 2015.

Gurley showing some of his Pass Pro skills
todd-gurley-flips-clay-matthews.gif

Gurly showing his ability to find the open seam with the catch, run & jump
eDGuWms.gif

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Lol, do yourself even know what this means?

He only looks good from all those screen passes, as a running back, rushing the ball he put up 500 yards. Big deal.

Edit. To answer your question, I meant the whole way he was used, he was used more in the passing game than running it seemed so HB wise Gurleys better is what I'm saying, but lets not be the sarcastic grammer police "do yourself even know". Well see how Gurley and Johnson play out this season then talk about it.

Last edited:

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
So my son is a Cardinals fan (it started when Kurt Warner played there) and today I asked him if he would trade straight across Todd Gurley for David Johnson. He thought about it for a bit and said no. He thinks David Johnson is better than Gurley in the system that Arizona runs, namely, a lot of screen passes to the RBs.

Now my son, 19 years old is normally pretty darn intelligent (except regarding this hypothetical trade). I told him he's crazy, that Gurley is a LOT better than Johnson. Still, he said he wouldn't do that trade if it was his decision.

So, I'm asking all of you, what "stats" or "common sense" reasoning would you tell my son to help him understand the obvious, that Gurley is insanely talented and it would be a steal if AZ had the opportunity to trade Johnson for Gurley straight across? What words would you use to make him understand the error of his ways, haha!
Tell him as long as he lives under your roof and puts his feet under your dinner table such nonsense will nit be tolerated! (Blue font, but only light blue)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Johnson might be a pretty good back. But he's not elite. Todd Gurley is elite. One of those once every few years backs. Maybe even once a decade.

When the Cardinals lose Palmer and pass game suffers, which back would anyone choose to carry the offense? Any GM who traded Gurley straight up for Johnson would be unemployed the next day. I suspect the OP's son might be a homer for his team.

RamzFanz

Damnit
DJ is well rounded and a very good player. For a 3rd round pick, Cards definitely got a great value but so did the Rams with Gurley at 13th overall. He could have been 1st

It's unreasonable to compare their receiving stats with the grand canyon between these two teams' passing game. I've seen nothing that tells me Gurley can't be just as good as DJ in a solid passing game and chances are better now we'll get to at some point this season.

As a HB, it's two different tiers. I'm not looking for DJ to be a top tier HB this season, but he still might have a monster season overall. His kick return numbers are sick too.

In the AZ offense? I'm still choosing Gurley because Gurley has good hands and is more powerful and elusive after he has the ball in his hands and it would up AZ's run game to balance their attack more.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'd take Gurley all day, every day, but I won't sell Johnson short, he looks to have a bright future, and will probably be one of the best young backs out there.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
While like most people here I'd prefer Gurley, I do understand where the guy is coming from with DJ being a better "fit" for AZ. They love to pass the ball in the desert and he might very well be the best receiving back since Faulk

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'd take Gurley all day, every day, but I won't sell Johnson short, he looks to have a bright future, and will probably be one of the best young backs out there.

Yes I concur and I drew this comparison in another thread a while back.

Todd Gurley = Eric Dickerson
David Johnson = James Wilder Sr.