Todd Gurley cleared to practice

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
I say we hold Gurley until at least week 3. Tre can get the job done until his return.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hoping to see a lot of this:

GATD1.gif

gurley.gif
KindlyHardElephant.gif

824960849.gif
gurley-gif-2.gif
5875936579026962_4629d3bd6a955f96027cc0821718f3b90294b75ad56713f43dd3a015dd879a98_large
You will...... (y);):party::banana::banana::shades::rolleyes::cool:

lockdnram21

Legend
Looking at our offense we have a bunch of guys who are very solid, we lack the guy who is great or elite. I'm not sure you can have a successful offense without an top level player. Gurley is that guy who can be the centerpiece on offense. We haven't had that guy since Jackson was in his prime, the only problem was the rest of the team sucked then.
Quick can be elite to in my opinion

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Hoping to see a lot of this:

GATD1.gif

gurley.gif
KindlyHardElephant.gif

824960849.gif
gurley-gif-2.gif
5875936579026962_4629d3bd6a955f96027cc0821718f3b90294b75ad56713f43dd3a015dd879a98_large
What he's going to see is a regular dose of 8 men in the box.
Foles, the WR's and the OLine are going to have to step up BIG time for this offense to get going and resemble anything close to those Gurley highlights IMO. Gurley has the talent to turn nothing into something and something into a big play, but i don't want Gurley to turn into the next Steven Jackson...meaning we need a competent group of players around him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I say we hold Gurley until at least week 3. Tre can get the job done until his return.

I want to see him play, now! But agree... It's only been 9-10 months.

I am nervous.

I am excited.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Jeff Fisher announces that RB Todd Gurley has been cleared to practice.
kramer-yeah.gif

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Question: I forgot who drafted him, but how's Melvin Gordon doing? I remember many people saying he was going to be better than Gurley.
San Diego got him. I haven't heard how he's doing!

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
PLEASE football Gods if you can hear me have mercy on Gurley pleaseee!! We have suffered enough the last decade please spare us our future star.

...oh and Fish try not to have Gurley back too early please. That is my only fear. I will never forget the feeling I had when I saw the Bradford injury last year thought I shit my pants in shear shock. The feeling still haunts me when I think of it and Gurley.

RamBill

Legend
Gurley cleared for added work in practice
By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_c9ec7e7d-c84a-51f5-bcf7-4ec4b208b35c.html

Rams running back Todd Gurley, the 10th pick in the NFL draft, has been cleared to begin practicing. Coach Jeff Fisher made the announcement at his weekly meeting with reporters at Rams Park.

“So that’s good news,’’ Fisher said. “Now we’re going to progress him slowly, but he’ll be able to participate in seven-on-seven and team (11-on-11) drills. To this point, he’s just been participating in the one-on-ones. We’ll take it slow, but it’s going to fun to get him on the practice field.’’

Fisher said that Gurley, who had ACL surgery on his left knee in November, will not play in the preseason.

“No, we don’t have any intention of doing that,’’ the coach said. “We’re just going to slowly increase his reps and see how he progresses. He may need a day off here or there, but it’s good news. Dr. (James) Andrews was really pleased with his progress, so he’s cutting him loose... (but) he’ll continue to wear the brace.’’

Fisher noted that Gurley did not actually see Dr. Andrews but that the team forwarded the results from a testing protocol from Rams Park.

When asked if the team was anticipating Gurley being ready for the season opener Sept. 13 against the visiting Seattle Seahawks, Fisher said, “Don’t know. Gonna bring him along slow.’’

On draft day, Fisher and general manager Les Snead referred to Gurley as a special and complete back and as the team’s running back of the future.

At the University of Georgia, the 6-foot-1, 222-pound Gurley rushed for 100-plus yards in 18 games. He scored 44 career touchdowns, which ranks second in school history behind Bulldogs legend Herschel Walker. But he never approached the 1,385 yards and 17 TDs he amassed as a freshman in 2012 because of injuries and suspensions.

He missed three games in 2013 with an ankle injury, finishing with 989 yards. As a junior he served a four-game suspension for accepting money for autographed memorabilia and, in his return to action, hurt his knee against Auburn in November. He finished his junior season with 911 yards and nine touchdowns.

“He’s excited. He had a blast in the warmups last night,’’ Fisher said. “His fun stopped when the game started because he wanted to play. He understands the situation he’s in.’’

MORE INJURY NEWS

Not a lot of good news to report from Nashville, but Fisher said that the Rams didn’t have a single player in the training room after Sunday night’s game in Nashville.

“You usually have something,’’ the coach said. “There’s usually an MRI or there’s an X-ray. ... It’s good news.’

’Fisher said that rookie offensive lineman Cody Wichmann had been removed from the physically unable to perform list and will also return to practice Tuesday. Wichmann, a sixth-round draft choice from Fresno State, has been slowed with a calf injury.

Fisher also feels there’s a chance that guard Rodger Saffold (shoulder), defensive tackle Michael Brockers (shoulder) and wide receiver Brian Quick (shoulder) have a chance to play Saturday when the Rams host the Indianapolis Colts in the teams’ third preseason game.

“A couple of guys, Rodger and Michael, they have a chance this week. We’ll just see,’’ the coach said.

Quick has been coming along slowly after suffering a major shoulder injury last season.

“I think he’s got a chance to play this week,’’ Fisher said. “We’re taking the yellow hat off him; the yellow hat tells the defense ‘don’t hit me’ on the practice field; the yellow hat is like a red jersey. I’m going to take the yellow hat off of Brian and put it on Todd; I may have a ceremony tomorrow and let Brian graduate and pass it over to Todd.’’

Fisher said that center Tim Barnes, the fourth-year pro from Mizzou, did not play Sunday because of lower-leg soreness.

RAM-BLINGS

Robert Quinn, the Rams’ two-time Pro Bowl defensive end, was impressed with what he saw of 2014 Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota on Sunday night in Nashville.

“I think he’s gonna be a special player,’’ Quinn said after the Titans’ 27-14 preseason win. “They’ve got him moving out of the pocket (and) even when he’s sitting in the pocket, he’s delivering some nice passes. It’s still early, but they might have a nice piece of talent over there with that quarterback.’’

Mariota, the No. 2 overall pick last spring, was on the field for just 18 offensive snaps Sunday. He completed five of eight passes for 59 yards and also rushed once for a yard. He showed excellent pocket presence and was the victim of a pair of dropped passes, including one in the end zone.

• Former Mizzou TE Chase Coffman hauled in a pair of touchdown passes Sunday and said it was a thrill to play well against the Rams.

“Just trying to make plays and show that I can be counted on,’’ the sixth-year pro said. “It’s fun playing against a team from the hometown state, but we go to Kansas City next week,’’ he said. “That’s my hometown, so it’ll definitely be special.’’

A third-round draft choice of the Cincinnati Bengals in 2009, Coffman starred in football and basketball at Raymore-Peculiar High in suburban Kansas City.

• Another former Tigers’ standout TE, Michael Egnew, was waived Monday by the Saints. Egnew was selected by Miami in the third round of the 2012 draft. ... Jacksonville placed former Illini WR Arrelious Benn on injured reserve with a fractured collarbone; a second-round pick by Tampa Bay in 2010, Benn lands on IR for the third straight season.... Former Ram Brandon Gibson was also placed on IR by the Patriots. Gibson suffered a knee injury over the weekend.

Frogbelly

Rookie
Name
Frogbelly
Fisher may not have liked what he's seen from his rb's so far. Watts has looked the best, though it has been against the 3's and 4's. Then Pead/Benny. I also think Gurley should not play until game 3.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/8...s-sam-bradford-nick-foles-philadelphia-eagles

What The Rams Learned From From Sam Bradford
By misone@MightyOrMisone

"I told him he didn't deserve this." Those were the words uttered from Jeff Fisher to Sam Bradford after he tore his ACL for the second time in less than a year, last August.

Bradford was the face of the franchise and the primary reason for Fisher taking the Rams head coaching job. You can say that they were joined at the hip for that reason. Fisher made it no secret that Sam was the teams present and future.

At the time of Bradford's ACL tear, he was looking healthy. The ball was flying out of his hand with the best velocity anyone had ever seen come from Bradford. He was looking good in limited work and individual drills during spring practices. The confidence in his knee was sky high.

Now fast forward nine months, and it's May 2015 and Jeff Fisher is in a press conference with Les Snead and - his new "weapon" the number ten overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft - Todd Gurley.

In that press conference he made it crystal clear that Todd Gurley is not only the present face of this team, but the future, and he will not be rushed back. Patience will be shown, and they are in no hurry to get him on the field. Although the temptation has to be there not only for Gurley, but for Fisher to see him on the field as well.

I can't remember one time ever in the history of ACL rehabilitation, a player has been said to look this good and take so long to receive any sort or practice reps. They might not get preseason action, but they will get some reps in practice, even if they can't be touched. When Bradford looked this good, they let him practice.

Not only did they let him practice, but they changed their mind on their approach. Initially Bradford was supposed to have a spring littered with off days to rest up. That was the big plan going in. But when Bradford showed up and showed out, that plan went to scraps as he was allowed to practice day after day after day...

Bradford's knee passed all the tests, and looked good in action, but no one could have foreseen the lack of strength around the knee would ultimately caused it to re-tear.

It appears the Rams have learned a major lesson from Sam Bradford, and that lesson is patience. The simple truth of the matter is if you are confident that the player knows the playbook and can get in the regular season games and be fine without playing in the preseason, than that player should not play.

No matter how eager you are to get him back out there. Adrian Peterson hasn't played in a preseason game in years. Tom Brady averages about 15 snaps, per preseason. Neither player was shown any love in the preseason coming off their injuries.

Jeff Fisher has taken a new approach. One he does not have a history of taking. That approach is showing more patience with his favorite players. Yes, the players are eager to get on the field, but that does not mean they are the only ones. Coaches can be just as much in a hurry. Like the fans who can't wait to see this new investment in action, coaches are on the edge of their seats.

They too are essentially fans, as it all starts with them liking a player enough to bring him in - and you really like him if he is brought in in the top ten picks and coming off of major knee surgery - hence the beginning of fandom.

Now one month into camp, Todd Gurley has just been allowed to take team reps. This sounds like he is more ready than ever, but then you hear about how he is not allowed to practice blitz pick-up - one of the more contact heavy drills there are - and you take and step back and remember that Fisher is going to play it as safe as possible until the season starts. While Gurley is finally getting reps, he is still not getting touched, at all!

So thank you Sam Bradford for playing such an intricate role in teaching a valuable lesson. It sucks for you and the Rams' organization that you had to suffer the fate that you did for this lesson to be learned, but ultimately, you might have saved the season and confidence of a young talented back named, Todd Gurley...