Todd Gurley cleared to practice

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SaCkaveli20

Rookie
Name
Chris
Yeeeaaa! Good news for sure.
Got my first fantasy draft of the season tomorrow night after work. Best believe I'll be wearing my brand new Gurley II jersey!!! (I was going to wear it regardless, I just wanted everyone to know I just got mine :D)

thumb.aspx

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I just watched Fisher's Under the Lights, and he said Gurley will be back sooner than people expect. I know there's no contact, but this is a really really good sign. That means they trust him cutting on it now. I could see him being back for Week 1 or 2.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I just watched Fisher's Under the Lights, and he said Gurley will be back sooner than people expect. I know there's no contact, but this is a really really good sign. That means they trust him cutting on it now. I could see him being back for Week 1 or 2.

I'd get him the biggest brace possible, with cold rolled steel on the sides. That way if someone hits him low, there's no lateral movement in the knee. Might tear something else, but not the knee again.

I'm only joking, of course....well, maybe not.

FRO

Legend
Looking at our offense we have a bunch of guys who are very solid, we lack the guy who is great or elite. I'm not sure you can have a successful offense without an top level player. Gurley is that guy who can be the centerpiece on offense. We haven't had that guy since Jackson was in his prime, the only problem was the rest of the team sucked then.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Question: I forgot who drafted him, but how's Melvin Gordon doing? I remember many people saying he was going to be better than Gurley.

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Question: I forgot who drafted him, but how's Melvin Gordon doing? I remember many people saying he was going to be better than Gurley.
Chargers. And he has 6 carries for 11 yards. Sat out yesterday due to an ankle. So really, hasn't done much of anything. lol

RamBill

Legend
Rams report: Gurley cleared for full practice on Tuesday

• BY JOE LYONS

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_af42252a-07e9-51d8-b888-7e0096f9c591.html

Rams running back Todd Gurley, the No. 10 overall pick in the spring's NFL draft, has been cleared to begin practicing. Head coach Jeff Fisher made the announcement in a Monday meeting with the media at Rams Park.

“So that's good news,'' Fisher said. “Now we're going to progress him slowly, but he'll be able to participate in seven-on-seven and team drills. To this point, he's just been participating in the one-on-ones. We'll take it slow, but it's going to fun to get him on the practice field.''

Fisher said that Gurley, who underwent ACL surgery on his left knee in November, will not play in the preseason.

“No, we don't have any intention of doing that,'' the coach said. “We're just going to slowly increase his reps and see how he progresses. He may need a day off here or day, but it's good news. Dr. (James) Andrews was really pleased with his progress, so he's cutting him loose... (but) he'll continue to wear the brace.''

Fisher noted that Gurley did not actually see Dr. Andrews but that the team forwarded the results from a testing protocol from Rams Park.

When asked if the team was anticipating Gurley being ready for the season opener Sept. 13 against the visiting Seattle Seahawks, Fisher said, “Don't know. Gonna bring him along slow.''

On draft day, Fisher and general manager Les Snead referred to Gurley as a special and complete back and as the team's running back of the future.

At the University of Georgia, the 6-foot-1, 222-pound Gurley rushed for 100-plus yards in 18 games. He scored 44 career touchdowns, which ranks second in school history behind Bulldog legend Herschel Walker. But he never approached the 1,385 yards and 17 TDs he amassed as a freshman in 2012 because of injuries and suspensions.

He missed three games in 2013 with an ankle injury, finishing with 989 yards. As a junior he served a four-game suspension for accepting money for autographed memorabilia and, in his return to action, hurt his knee against Auburn in November. He finished his junior season with 911 yards and nine touchdowns.

“He's excited. He had a blast in the warmups last night,'' Fisher said of Gurley. “His fun stopped when the game started because he wanted to play. He understands the situation he's in.''

Fisher also said that rookie offensive lineman Cody Wichmann had been removed from the physically-unable-to-perform list and will also return to practice Tuesday. Wichmann, a sixth-round draft choice from Fresno State, has been slowed with a calf injury.

RamBill

Legend
Rams clear Todd Gurley for practice but not preseason games
By Nicholas Wagoner
ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...back-todd-gurley-cleared-participate-practice

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- For the first time since he was drafted with the No. 10 overall pick in April, St. Louis Rams running back Todd Gurley has been cleared to participate in all aspects of practice.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher announced Monday evening that Gurley will be able to expand his practice regimen to include seven-on-seven and team drills beginning this week.

To this point, Gurley, who is recovering from a torn left ACL suffered in November, has been limited to individual work and spending the bulk of practices on the sideline with the athletic training staff.

Rams running back Todd Gurley will wear a brace on his left knee as well as a yellow "no-contact" beanie on his helmet during practice.

"Todd Gurley has been cleared for practice, so that's good news," Fisher said. "We'll take it slow, but it's going to be fun to get him on the practice field."

Gurley's return to practice is the next logical step in his recovery, and it comes at the halfway point of the preseason. The Rams lost 27-14 to the Tennessee Titans on Sunday in the second preseason game.

Fisher said the Rams recently put Gurley through some testing on the knee and sent the reports back to Dr. James Andrews, who performed Gurley's knee surgery. Andrews was pleased enough with the progress to allow Gurley to expand his workload.

Fisher made it clear that though Gurley is going to be more involved in practice, he won't play in the remaining two preseason games.

"We don't have the intention of doing that," Fisher said. "We're just going to slowly increase his reps and see how he progresses. He may need a day off here and there. But it's good news."

As part of Gurley's return to practice, he will wear two uniform accessories intended to protect him. Fisher said Gurley will continue wearing the brace on his left knee and add a yellow "no-contact" beanie on his helmet, which signifies Rams players are not to hit Gurley during practice. The beanie had heretofore been worn by receiver Brian Quick, who no longer needs it after a shoulder injury.

Fisher said Gurley has been eagerly awaiting the chance to do more, even though he knows it's still only practice.

"He's really excited," Fisher said. "He had a blast in the warm-ups last night, then his fun stopped when the game started because he wanted to play. But he understands the situation that he's in."

Ram65

Legend
He still will need some holes to run threw. Glad he is getting closer to playing.