Time to be serious about our QB situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Moving forward. What do we do at QB?

• Nothing to worry about. Stay faithful to Sam Bradford and hope he lasts the season?

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • A fresh start. Trade him out to another team? A fresh start may be the best for both parties.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Bring in a FA. Keep Sam, pick up someone in FA to compete for the starting role?

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • Draft high. Keep Sam, try and draft a QB, high in the draft to compete?

Votes: 14 14.4%
  • Belt & Braces. Restructure Sam's contract, pick up a QB in FA and draft high.

Votes: 56 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Don't get me wrong, I love Sam B, I want him to succeed, but with every day that passes, I'm becoming less and less confident that we have the personnel at QB to make a difference in our division, let alone the league. I think my hope and belief in Sam B has finally left the building, his unfortunate second ACL injury was a killer blow to both him and the Rams as a season. I'm annoyed that we didn't draft well at QB last year, to at least have some competition, I had my hopes on that Garropollo guy, but there we go...

I don't think we can pick up someone in the later rounds any more, we don't have the time to waste, saying that, the QB class this year really doesn't instil any confidence in me...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont think trading him with his contract/cap hit is a viable option

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I dont think trading him with his contract/cap hit is a viable option
It's conceivable, because the team that trades for him could restructure his contract afterward. And we'd clear a lot of room ourselves.
But that's not how I voted.

FRO

Legend
I think you bring in the best vet option you can. If Winston or Mariota are there at 10 draft them. If you get a decent offer to move up, take it. That being said don't sell the farm for either QB and go into the draft expecting both to be gone at 10. After those 2 QBs this draft is empty. It's smart to take care of the QB option early in the process.

We need to spend more resources on our offensive line. Not many QBs will do well behind our line.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm sure there's a team out there that could take him and restructure a new deal...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
We keep Sam, but trade for someone like Mike Glennon because I would be shocked if Foles or Brees will even be available and draft a QB if you like his potential. Grayson, Carden or Bridge.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Winston and Mariota seem to be the only two viable options in the draft this year which aren't projects

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I was in the camp of drafting a QB last year (Bridgewater), this year I'm in the Hundley camp but overall, no matter who it is, I want the Rams grabbing a 1st - 3rd round talent QB to compete with Bradford. No more of this he's our guy 100% automatically shit. Time to bring in some real competition.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Sam isnt going anywhere this season but they will bring in competition

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Easy.... improve the talent at the position top to bottom.
1. If possible restructure Sam's contract.
2. Bring in a quality QB who is capable of pushing Sam and gives the Rams a solution for this Season if Sam gets hurt.
3. Draft a QB. Who can possibly push for the starting role in year 2 but gives a solid back up QB if Sam does go down
4. None of this matters if we do not also improve our Offensive line top to bottom.....both starters and depth wise......
I truly believe that Sam gives us our best chance to win in immediate future...but great depth at any position. ... never hurts....

Go Rams.......... ;)

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Draft a couple stud OLinemen sign one
Sign DeMarco Murray and hand the ball off fifty times a game.

V3

Hall of Fame
You don't have the option I'd take: Bring in a backup QB and just wait another year. This draft is looking like it sucks for QB's. Right now, I don't want any of them. Bradford isn't the future, either. Just play the season out and see how long Bradford can last and look for legit QB options next year. There aren't any legit options in this draft, IMO(other than the top two, which we aren't getting). I'd even look to trade down to pick up extra picks for next year's draft to make it easier to move up. Drafting a QB in this draft is a complete waste of a pick and would just set the franchise back even more. As a St. Louisan, it's not like there's anything to get excited about next season anyway.

fearsomefour

Legend
Winston and Mariota seem to be the only two viable options in the draft this year which aren't projects
To me Mariota is a project. Winston less so, but, who knows what his mentality is.
I would take Winston of those two, but, still not the guy I would want.

fearsomefour

Legend
It's conceivable, because the team that trades for him could restructure his contract afterward. And we'd clear a lot of room ourselves.
But that's not how I voted.
I don't even think his contract is that unusual at this point. His cap number of $16M or whatever for 2015....a team may take that on for one year if they are desperate enough for a QB, then, redo a deal if he was healthy and played well. The bigger issue for the Rams is the team wouldn't get much for him with his injury history. I just hope his agent is open to redoing his deal.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Easy.... improve the talent at the position top to bottom.
1. If possible restructure Sam's contract.
2. Bring in a quality QB who is capable of pushing Sam and gives the Rams a solution for this Season if Sam gets hurt.
3. Draft a QB. Who can possibly push for the starting role in year 2 but gives a solid back up QB if Sam does go down
4. None of this matters if we do not also improve our Offensive line top to bottom.....both starters and depth wise......
I truly believe that Sam gives us our best chance to win in immediate future...but great depth at any position. ... never hurts....

Go Rams.......... ;)
If that's "easy", I'd hate to hear your "hard" plan.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Can we grab the OT I want, the OG I want, and I nice QB option? That is the question.....

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
This all hinges around when the Rams have a definitive prognosis on when/if Bradford will be available. If he's not available until the season starts or beyond, then I think you seriously have to consider parting ways and acquire as good a veteran QB as you can get, even if it means spending above market value. If Bradford is expected to be ready for most of training camp then I think you're looking at signing an experienced FA and drafting a developmental QB in the 2nd or 3rd, the second tier behind Mariota & Jamison. Regardless of Bradford's projected prognosis, I think the Rams will be in play for draft day trades moving up for Mariota or Jamison if either starts to slide or moving back in the 1st and taking whoever they deem the 3rd best QB in the draft and at the same time acquiring additional picks to make up for those lost signing Barron.

No matter where you stand on the subject it's going to be fascinating to watch it play out.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
Bradford IS the guy! I can't think of any way the Rams are better next year, and for many years after if he is not the QB. Would you trade up with what it takes to draft the top 2 guys? I wouldn't, and Fisher cant.

Starting all over in year 4 of a rebuild is not an option. Things should be fixed by now. Starting over is simply not an option for this regime.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't 100% agree with any of the scenario's put forward! We go with Sam. I don't see any QB, be it a Vet or in the Draft that could Take the Job from Bradford! But we need a quality back-up, a good draftee who learns fast and plays faster!!

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
I guess I'm the only one that wants a fresh start.

IMO, a team can't succeed without having stability at the QB position. Having to turn to the backup QB for even a few games usually results in disaster. Look at the Cardinals and Eagles last year. Even with good offensive coaching and a good backup (neither of which the Rams are guaranteed to have), offenses sputter when the starter goes down. The timing is always off for at least a game or two, and the whole offense gets out of sync. I've been a huge Bradford fan since he was drafted, but I don't think anyone can argue with his injury history.

I think I would rather start a Glennon or Foles for 16 games, rather than a Bradford for 8. Heck, I would take 16 games of Flacco over 8 games of Brees or Manning, regardless of who the backup is.

My plan would be to hold onto Bradford for now, but try to work a trade for someone like Foles or Glennon. If that fails, try to sign any top free agent if a good one shakes loose (doubtful). If that fails, hope that one of Mariotta/Winston drop a few spots and trade up to grab him. And if that fails, I would still grab a QB in the 2nd round. Only under that last scenario would I keep Bradford though, and he would only be there to compete with the rookie.