Time to be serious about our QB situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Moving forward. What do we do at QB?

• Nothing to worry about. Stay faithful to Sam Bradford and hope he lasts the season?

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • A fresh start. Trade him out to another team? A fresh start may be the best for both parties.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Bring in a FA. Keep Sam, pick up someone in FA to compete for the starting role?

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • Draft high. Keep Sam, try and draft a QB, high in the draft to compete?

Votes: 14 14.4%
  • Belt & Braces. Restructure Sam's contract, pick up a QB in FA and draft high.

Votes: 56 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iced

This class of QB's isn't exactly awe inspiring, and i don't think its a good idea to force a pick because you need a qb - see ponder,locker, gabbert, manuel as recent examples being way over drafted (which hey i'm glad happened, we got quinn that way lol)

however if a possible prospect is available in the 2nd or 3rd i'd pull the trigger..

but before any QB will be successful back there, we gotta fix the line first

V3

Hall of Fame
Bradford IS the guy! I can't think of any way the Rams are better next year, and for many years after if he is not the QB. Would you trade up with what it takes to draft the top 2 guys? I wouldn't, and Fisher cant.

Starting all over in year 4 of a rebuild is not an option. Things should be fixed by now. Starting over is simply not an option for this regime.
Well, if they do plan on moving to LA, the next couple years would be the perfect time to "semi-rebuild". The Rams have poisoned the well so we all know the tickets aren't going to sell next season. And the year after that if they've moved to LA, tickets will sell no matter what since it's the "new thing in town". So they have a few years to do whatever they want without fear of it doing anything to the bottom line. They don't need to blow the team up or anything but now is the perfect time to find and try a new QB. The problem is, I don't think any of them will amount to much so it'd just be wasting a pick and time figuring out if the new QB is worth keeping.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
If that's "easy", I'd hate to hear your "hard" plan.
I agree. ...that would be my plan......making it work would be work..... but I don't think impossible. ... ;)

Go Rams.......... ;)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
More I think about it, the more I suspect they're gonna push to sign a FA QB. Reasons:

1. Rams don't have a lot of draft picks to play with. If they trade for a QB it's gonna be worse and they still need to address OL and get a young QB with upside.

2. Dropoff from the trade option QBs to the poor FA QB class isn't too great. Sanchez, for example, knows the offense and while he won't wow anyone is there really an appreciable difference between him and Glennon? That dropoff needs to be considered along with losing picks. Hoyer, Mallet, Locker, Moore, Gabbert etc aren't inspiring either, I know, but still the goal is depth and competition among those names for Bradford not finding Drew Brees.

3. Rams have been bit by FA OL additions. Meanwhile rising teams like Dallas have demonstrated that getting your OL pieces in the draft can provide immediate dividends.

4. OL group in this draft is one of the deepest positions. Even if the Rams need to address OT, OG, and C they can pull it off given the availability of interior OL well into most drafts and certainly this one.

5. Bradford contract re-do will enable them signing one OL FA along with a vet QB since none of these guys are gonna command big bucks.

6. If teams get stupid on the QBs the Rams do consider in FA they move along to OL and proceed as we have already expected them to.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's conceivable, because the team that trades for him could restructure his contract afterward. And we'd clear a lot of room ourselves.
But that's not how I voted.
I'd imagine though that a team wouldnt complete the trade unless they were assured Bradford would extend, and to what terms. Another layer of risk to an all ready risky situation.
I suppose a better version of that option would be to trade/release Bradford

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
They should keep Bradford and bring in several vets. If Foles is available they should trade with Philly by swapping 1st round picks plus getting a 3rd or 4th. Then they can also sign Josh Freeman or some other younger reclamation vet on a cheap prove it deal and also bring back Davis as well as pick up a late round rookie developmental guy for the PS. Then they have 5 QB's in camp and let the chips fall where they may.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'd imagine though that a team wouldnt complete the trade unless they were assured Bradford would extend, and to what terms. Another layer of risk to an all ready risky situation.
I suppose a better version of that option would be to trade/release Bradford
It's not so much extend as it would be a whole new contract, but you're right. There's some level of risk involved. I just don't think it would be that big of a risk.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I do not think that QB Sam Bradford will take a pay cut why would he? Sam could easily be extended & restructure so Sam does not loose $$$ in the long run. So Sam is one of our QB's.

Our most recent trade partner in Tampa, with Lovie have the the opportunity to get the top QB of their choice in the draft is the place to start in getting serious. Lovie's should be solid set with his vet Josh & young gun Jameis @ QB then 3rd stringer Mike Glennon is there for the trade. Lovie has so many needs @ RB, FS, OG & the DL.

Rams are thick in the DL however two of my favorite DL'ers Hayes & Langford will be UFA's in 2016 anyway. Currently Hayes has a cap hit of 4.4 mil & Langford has a 7 mil cap hit that gives Rams a 2015 NEW cap savings of 11.5 million. Both would be instant veteran HEALTHY starters forming a stout big Buc DL. Lovie get two outstanding super class acts that he loves to begin his new era in Tampa. His DL goes from weak to stout & good:
DE- Hayes
DT- McCoy
DT- Langford
DE- Johnson
Rams can add RB Zac Stacy to form a 3 for 1 trade for QB Mike Glennon. Glennon cost is a little bit over what Stacy's will plus Mike is will not be a UFA until 2017.

Yes the Rams will miss those two DL'ers our third DE & our 3rd DT but Rams will not have the cap $$ to sign them in 2016 anyway so they will be gone. Fact is Rams organization has major chunks of cap tied up in the DL now. 30 mil in 2015 in Long & Quinn alone! That's serious. Rams must free up cap $$$ to attack the 17 UFA's in 2016 anyway ASAP. I would get Michael Brockers new contract done early then start on Greg Zuerlein, Janoris Jenkins, Bryan Quick, Mark Barron, Benny Cunningham & Trumaine Johnson to name a few.

Rams have Five reserve DL'ers under contract in 2015 to go with the four first round starters. Veteran 28 yr/5 Eugene Sims, 23/2 old Ethan Westbrooks & 26/2 yr Mason Brodine. Rams have 27 yr/2 Doug Worthington & 25 yr/3 Matt Conrath behind Langford. All Snead would need to do is draft a low cost NT type.

Both Bradford 6-5 & Glennon 6-6 are very similar type QB's being pocket passers so the Offense can work the same no matter who is taking the snap. Then draft a rookie Shane Carden type QB in the 5th rd for the 3rd QB along with a Austin Davis as the 4th. Then reassess after 2015 season concludes & regroup to tinker if more is needed.

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
If Bradford says no to a pay cut, what's to keep us from holding onto him till the start of season and then just cutting him. He's guaranteed a chance to compete for a starting spot with us, he'd only get picked up as a backup in the above scenario. I think Bradford's leverage on restructuring is over-emphasized.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Option 6: Fix the oline. Pray that whomever's QB doesn't have to do too much work then with a dominant running game.

To me this is the most realistic option, period.

OJM

UDFA
I said this on a post once Sam went down the second time, that it's best if the Rams and Sam part ways. It's been too much bad luck here with him. I think he and this team deserve a new start. I don't care if he becomes healthy and plays well for the next 10 years. I know it won't happen here. If I were in his position and I thought about retirement like he did, I'd want to be released or traded to get that bad vibe away from me. If we don't have a healthy quarterback within the next two seasons, this young talent will be gone anyway. All those draft picks will have gone on to other teams or put of the league. We will be looking at a new coach and more than half the team will have changed. We need a new quarterback and two new linemen. If Barksdale is gone, that will make 3,but I expect one of those spots to be filled by what's currently on the roster.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Bradford says no to a pay cut, what's to keep us from holding onto him till the start of season and then just cutting him. He's guaranteed a chance to compete for a starting spot with us, he'd only get picked up as a backup in the above scenario. I think Bradford's leverage on restructuring is over-emphasized.
I agree that in that case the leverage is heavily tilted in the Rams favor. Question though, at what point do the Rams have to be under the cap? Because if they were to part ways, and free up cap space I'd like them to be in a position to take advantage of it.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I was in the camp of drafting a QB last year (Bridgewater), this year I'm in the Hundley camp but overall, no matter who it is, I want the Rams grabbing a 1st - 3rd round talent QB to compete with Bradford. No more of this he's our guy 100% automatically crap. Time to bring in some real competition.
Okay, but name a QB who is, or even may, be available who will provide Sam with legitimate competition. Sam is the best option out there.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Yes, we need to tell Bradford stirnly "we need you to stay healthy." Then he'll be like "IK, that's what I want too." Then I'll give him a hug and say "why did they ever doubt you? I'm gonna go tell them how it is." Then he'll be like "don't be too hard on them" because he's a nice guy.

You are all bad people

A55VA6

Legend
Keep Bradford, draft QB high, have reliable vet. That's really best case scenario right now.

I really want the guy to be Bradford because I was watching highlights from his rookie year up until now, and I really think he's got what it takes to be AT LEAST a very solid QB that takes care of the football.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Okay, but name a QB who is, or even may, be available who will provide Sam with legitimate competition. Sam is the best option out there.

Anyone, at this point. I disagree that Sam is the best option heading into next year. I would never consider a QB that has been injured half of his career our best option. Of course this is my opinion.

iced

I do not think that QB Sam Bradford will take a pay cut why would he? Sam could easily be extended & restructure so Sam does not loose $$$ in the long run. So Sam is one of our QB's.

Our most recent trade partner in Tampa, with Lovie have the the opportunity to get the top QB of their choice in the draft is the place to start in getting serious. Lovie's should be solid set with his vet Josh & young gun Jameis @ QB then 3rd stringer Mike Glennon is there for the trade. Lovie has so many needs @ RB, FS, OG & the DL.

Rams are thick in the DL however two of my favorite DL'ers Hayes & Langford will be UFA's in 2016 anyway. Currently Hayes has a cap hit of 4.4 mil & Langford has a 7 mil cap hit that gives Rams a 2015 NEW cap savings of 11.5 million. Both would be instant veteran HEALTHY starters forming a stout big Buc DL. Lovie get two outstanding super class acts that he loves to begin his new era in Tampa. His DL goes from weak to stout & good:
DE- Hayes
DT- McCoy
DT- Langford
DE- Johnson
Rams can add RB Zac Stacy to form a 3 for 1 trade for QB Mike Glennon. Glennon cost is a little bit over what Stacy's will plus Mike is will not be a UFA until 2017.

Yes the Rams will miss those two DL'ers our third DE & our 3rd DT but Rams will not have the cap $$ to sign them in 2016 anyway so they will be gone. Fact is Rams organization has major chunks of cap tied up in the DL now. 30 mil in 2015 in Long & Quinn alone! That's serious. Rams must free up cap $$$ to attack the 17 UFA's in 2016 anyway ASAP. I would get Michael Brockers new contract done early then start on Greg Zuerlein, Janoris Jenkins, Bryan Quick, Mark Barron, Benny Cunningham & Trumaine Johnson to name a few.

Rams have Five reserve DL'ers under contract in 2015 to go with the four first round starters. Veteran 28 yr/5 Eugene Sims, 23/2 old Ethan Westbrooks & 26/2 yr Mason Brodine. Rams have 27 yr/2 Doug Worthington & 25 yr/3 Matt Conrath behind Langford. All Snead would need to do is draft a low cost NT type.

Both Bradford 6-5 & Glennon 6-6 are very similar type QB's being pocket passers so the Offense can work the same no matter who is taking the snap. Then draft a rookie Shane Carden type QB in the 5th rd for the 3rd QB along with a Austin Davis as the 4th. Then reassess after 2015 season concludes & regroup to tinker if more is needed.

tampa may not pick up charles johnson's option

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Anyone, at this point. I disagree that Sam is the best option heading into next year. I would never consider a QB that has been injured half of his career our best option. Of course this is my opinion.
I completely understand the injury concern but from a talent standpoint, IMO, no one out there is even close.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I completely understand the injury concern but from a talent standpoint, IMO, no one out there is even close.

FA wise I'd agree with you, Draft wise, cant really say because college and the NFL and are different animal. I just cant have Bradford as "my" forsure bet anymore especially after tearing that acl twice.