This is Tavon's year....new system, and he needs it!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
That article is brutal for him. Hope he somehow reads this thing and it puts a fire up his butt. (not literally, that would make him worse)

I like his speed and quickness, he can be a game changer with some help. Putting him in the backfield and running him up the middle was foolish and they have done it time and time again over the past few seasons, that needs to stop with the new OC/HC.

Split wide on the sweep is fantastic, screens and other quick hitter type plays is where he will excel.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think by now we all know what Tavon is. He runs pour routes, has small hands, is not good at working through traffic because he is easily bumped off his route, good situational RB, decent kick returner.

I doubt any new coaching is going to fix the negatives. If he was as good as people continue to say, then we would have at least seen more than a flash here or there as a receiver.

I hope he's gets a shot in the Desean Jackson role. Taking advantage of his speed is the only way I think he has a shot at any success.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
really thought he was on his way after that Colts game..

he better start crushin it

HellRam

Starter
I think by now we all know what Tavon is. He runs pour routes, has small hands, is not good at working through traffic because he is easily bumped off his route, good situational RB, decent kick returner.

I doubt any new coaching is going to fix the negatives. If he was as good as people continue to say, then we would have at least seen more than a flash here or there as a receiver.

I hope he's gets a shot in the Desean Jackson role. Taking advantage of his speed is the only way I think he has a shot at any success.

For the most part I agree with you here. However, I do think Tavon has become a better route runner this last season. He had career highs in receptions and yards. I remember reading some stats after a game and Austin had 7 receptions in one game, so he can get open. And the offense he was playing in is still atrocious as ever. You're right when you say he is what he is at this point. That said, I believe in a propper offense Tavon is a 600 to 800 yard WR as is. So a really nice 3rd option ideally.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Yes. I really really hope he has a break out season this year. It's time. It's crazy to say it but he will be past his physical prime soon. He needs to get all kinds of crazy productive this year! :)

HellRam

Starter
He's a very well paid third option, which spells "NFL" baby.

I agree he's overpaid. But it is what it is at this point.

If Tavon can get let's say... 700 recieving yards to go along with 200 rushing yards this season, which isnt too crazy of a prediction. Thats close to a 1,000 scrimmage yards. That would make his salary not so bad, plus he's quality punt returner as well.

Hopefully McVay gets this offense going.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
He works hard and is a good kid by all accounts. He will be given an opportunity to max out his potential by this new staff. It could really be a lot of fun to watch, especially if Gurley can return to form.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

stats don't come anywhere near to showing what tavon brings to the team. fuck the stats.

it's his time to explode in an actual nfl offense this season with an oc that knows what the fuck he is doing.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He works hard and is a good kid by all accounts. He will be given an opportunity to max out his potential by this new staff. It could really be a lot of fun to watch, especially if Gurley can return to form.

Not sure that's true tbh. If he was a hard worker he'd be a good route runner by now and would be a good team leader at the very least among the wideouts. But he has never stepped up to do that. This WR room didn't have anyone leading it, and if he was leading them it's even worse.

I made excuses for Tavon for a long time and I'm past that now personally. I want to see it on the field. He has the staff now to set him up for success, this is a definite prove it year for him.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Not sure that's true tbh. If he was a hard worker he'd be a good route runner by now and would be a good team leader at the very least among the wideouts. But he has never stepped up to do that. This WR room didn't have anyone leading it, and if he was leading them it's even worse.
He puts in time in the off-season, whether its working out with Stedman Bailey, or even Randy Moss. I don't think Tavon was expected to run good routes in college, and I doubt Fisher expected it either, and the only good WR coach Tavon had in the Pro's was Groh. I think Fisher let Tavon "do his thing" because it can work, kind of like his punt returns, his returns can be horrendous or they can be big gains. Not everyone is a leader, it doesn't come natural for every player. Also now that he is the senior WR we might see a different Tavon. Sometimes coaches will get rid of players if they want a certain player to ascend into a leadership role.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
On the one hand, I see a headline that says "This is Tavon's year" and immediately roll my eyes because we've heard it all before.

But on the other hand, I remember how much more effective he was under Schotty than he was the last couple of years under Cignetti/Boras. And I know he wasn't all-pro under Schotty (we all complained about Schotty and look where that got us!) but at least he looked like someone who defences feared.

Think about that play against the Bears in the EJD where he ran one way and reversed course for a TD. Or the Colts game that someone has already mentioned where he took a slant or a cross (I forget which) all the way for a long TD and also caught one deep from Kellen Clemens (?) - the one time he looked like a proper deep threat.

He could be a real asset and I hope McVay can figure it out - I've got infinitely more faith in him to achieve that than I did in Fisher.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

stats don't come anywhere near to showing what tavon brings to the team. freak the stats.

it's his time to explode in an actual nfl offense this season with an oc that knows what the freak he is doing.

Exactly
The closest thing he had to a real OC was Schottenheimer.
He's ours, he's got skills and I'm ready to see him (and the offense) explode this year

…..

Legend
I'm glad we get to sit through another of Tavon's "This is gonna be the year" years.

Sean McVay is young, confident and I dont think he has the emotional investment in Tavon. I doubt he wants to invest too much more time into him. He'll need to create his legacy this year or its never going to happen.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Tavon is the least of my worries in this offense. Honestly, Goff and Gurley are more of a concern as it stands right now. I don't care how much $ Tavon got, at least he produces on the field....and at multiple positions. Just because he is not a "#1" WR doesn't mean he is not a valuable weapon. He is. He always HAS been. I expect him to be even more dangerous in McVay's scheme.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

stats don't come anywhere near to showing what tavon brings to the team. freak the stats.

it's his time to explode in an actual nfl offense this season with an oc that knows what the freak he is doing.

I sure hope he finally has the type of year he should have, in a good Offence w/ a good HC/OC this should be his Best year yet! But IF he can't get-it-together now, he'll be Trade Bait in 2018!

fearsomefour

Legend
Tavon is the least of my worries in this offense. Honestly, Goff and Gurley are more of a concern as it stands right now. I don't care how much $ Tavon got, at least he produces on the field....and at multiple positions. Just because he is not a "#1" WR doesn't mean he is not a valuable weapon. He is. He always HAS been. I expect him to be even more dangerous in McVay's scheme.
O Line, Goff, Gurley, TEs, WRs not named Tavon, then Tavon.
He hasn't lived up to his draft position, but, under the last staff no one did.
I am looking forward to seeing of Austin can be consistent under a new O and coaching. But, a lot of other things need to get better too.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Exactly
The closest thing he had to a real OC was Schottenheimer.
He's ours, he's got skills and I'm ready to see him (and the offense) explode this year

if mcvay can get more out of ta his value as a decoy is truly under estimated