The Official ROD Football (Soccer) Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JackKirbyFan

Rookie
How do you even watch soccer. I remember way back in the 1970s there was a soccer league here and they brought in Pele to play. So everybody gets excited and then my dad and I go watch him play and do did
thousands of others. Problem was we had to actually watch soccer. They didn't tell us that part. I hear they call it "The Beautiful Game". More like the "Dismal Game" to me.

JackKirbyFan

Rookie
i did not use the words "stupid" or "watching crap". Also, I just kind of compare watching soccer with reading a plotless novel. I admit I don't know much about the game and neither do any of my large circle of sports buddies.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i did not use the words "stupid" or "watching crap". Also, I just kind of compare watching soccer with reading a plotless novel. I admit I don't know much about the game and neither do any of my large circle of sports buddies.
You crapped on soccer fans your whole initial post don’t back off it now. Just leave the thread and we’ll go back to enjoying the sport.

JackKirbyFan

Rookie
Repeat: I did not crap on soccer fans. I would be "crapping" on my wife if I did so. She enjoys watching and rooting for the USMNT and hate they failed to qualify for next summer's World Cup. She can't stand football but wants the Rams to win so I'll be happy. I watch the soccer matches with her and she tries to explain tactics and strategy but I don't get it. As she even admits We Americans prefer games of Accumulation and soccer admittedly is not that kind of game--but as she claims that's entirely the point. Enjoy the game and she's cheering for Poland now that the US is out because she still has family there--even after Auschwitz where her grandparents were exterminated.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
AUSTRALIA ARE THROUGH TO THE WORLD CUP!!!

3-1 over Honduras !!!

:yay:

Jackson Irvine is the fucking man. Is he appreciated in Australia? Does he get a lot of game time for the national team? He’s the best player to ever play for my club and it’s not even close. Man I miss that sexy bastard.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
Jackson Irvine is the freaking man. Is he appreciated in Australia? Does he get a lot of game time for the national team? He’s the best player to ever play for my club and it’s not even close. Man I miss that sexy bastard.

lols.

He’s played about a dozen games for the National side.

Now the Rams are out I can turn my attention to Forest .... and how they will obliterate the gunners in the FA Cup and then attempt to avoid the drop after sacking their fifth manager in three seasons.

Sigh. :rolleyes: :poop:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
lols.

He’s played about a dozen games for the National side.

Now the Rams are out I can turn my attention to Forest .... and how they will obliterate the gunners in the FA Cup and then attempt to avoid the drop after sacking their fifth manager in three seasons.

Sigh. :rolleyes: :poop:
Be careful there! Or I'll send Arsenal Fan TV after your butt! :D

TK42-RAM

Arsenal look so much bigger than Forest. Maybe it’s the aqua blue uniforms? ;)

TK42-RAM

:eek: - Well that was a huge surprise. Forest played really well , the gunners did not.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Why are people in here that aren't soccer fans? No game is beautiful if you don't understand it. like watching football and wondering why they don't kick more. I realize in the U.S it is about instant gratification and high scoring. Soccer so nuanced with individual challenges all over the field while playing in a team concept without breaks continued fluidity and the constant challenge to create space. I think it is the most amazing sport no not always the most entertaining I guess but certainly the most complex. It takes a long time to understand what the players and teams are trying to do. I didn't even understand changing the line of confrontation or why you would ever play narrow as opposed to wide. why is the build up so important or the pass back to a keeper actually helping the attack etc...... Allright rant over

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
So what does everybody think of the World Cup draw? Group F is downright brutal. France seems to have one of the easiest groups. If England can perform well vs Belgium that's a group they could take.
Any group with Germany is brutal don't really see a challenge there for them
England should get out of G
H is interesting don't count out Japan but Lewandowski and Co. should take it followed by Columbia and James
Brazil Argentina and France seem sure things.
Group A looks Fun The hosts will have to beat the Saudi's to move on as Uruguay should be the class of the group
and Group B with Portugal and Spain could be a dogfight

TK42-RAM

Why are people in here that aren't soccer fans? No game is beautiful if you don't understand it. like watching football and wondering why they don't kick more. I realize in the U.S it is about instant gratification and high scoring. Soccer so nuanced with individual challenges all over the field while playing in a team concept without breaks continued fluidity and the constant challenge to create space. I think it is the most amazing sport no not always the most entertaining I guess but certainly the most complex. It takes a long time to understand what the players and teams are trying to do. I didn't even understand changing the line of confrontation or why you would ever play narrow as opposed to wide. why is the build up so important or the pass back to a keeper actually helping the attack etc...... Allright rant over

Agreed. I never grew up with English Football but have grown to love the intricacies of the game the more and more I watched it. Sure they don’t score as much but in most cases the game is not over until that final whistle which makes it nerve racking until the end.

I’m a bit of a sporting tragic and appreciate most games, particularly the football codes. Australian Rules Football is something most dont understand or appreciate basically because people haven’t grown up with it. The rules are difficult to understand but once you do people usually love it and there is no off side rule and has evolved from various codes particularly Rugby Union and the Irish Gaelic football code.

Side note - when Twitter was in its formative years Kurt Warner had a question and answer session and I asked him whether he had seen a game of Aussie Rules Football and he answered “ Yes I’ve seen those guys, they’re crazy!” ;)

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I vaguely remember that comment. I played Soccer as a kid got pretty good played club and finally quit playing once girls and beer became more interesting in H.S. My son has rekindled my interest. We watch a lot mostly Bundasliga as he Identifies with his majority German heritage but we watch LaLiga, Ligue 1 of course Premiere etc...
My favorite thing is watching my son play he is 14 now and quite good playing at the gold level here in So.Cal which is a very competitive soccer region. Yes with out investing you will not get the rewards hence the high scoring in a lot of sports. You don't have to be knowledgeable to no that points are good except golf but that sport is crazy LOL.
I love close games in all sports and the scoring or lack of in Soccer doesn't bug me a bit

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m reading it’s possible that Olivier Gironde and his perfectly coiffed hair might be a Hammer. How do you boys feel about this possibility?

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Won’t happen unless it’s a loan deal, in fact it won’t happen full stop.