“The Hunted”: Truth or Myth

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
For as long as I remember, NFL commentators have asserted that the defending champions become "the hunted" with a "target on their back" every week and facing opponents' best efforts to knock them off the top of the mountain.

Truth, or myth?

In my opinion, this is a bunch of hyperbolic cliched horse hockey.

I think that NFL teams give their best effort every week. Are there rivalries? Sure... but that is more of a question of familiarity breeding contempt, rather than added effort.

The Rams will, no doubt, face a tough gauntlet as they strive to repeat. And, for opposing fans, a date with the World Champs may be worthy of extra attention.

But this is the friggin' NFL. Any given Sunday, any given team can take down any given opponent - whether they're a defending champ or not.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
For as long as I remember, NFL commentators have asserted that the defending champions become "the hunted" with a "target on their back" every week and facing opponents' best efforts to knock them off the top of the mountain.

Truth, or myth?

I think that NFL teams give their best effort every week. Are there rivalries? Sure... but that is more of a question of familiarity breeding contempt, rather than added effort.

The Rams will, no doubt, face a tough gauntlet as they strive to repeat. And, for opposing fans, a date with the World Champs may be worthy of extra attention.

But this is the friggin' NFL. Any given Sunday, any given team can take down any given opponent - whether they're a defending champ or not.
It's absolutely true.

The season is long and it's just not possible to maintain a complete competitive equilibrium every week. Energy level's wax and wane.. that's where external motivation can, sometimes, be helpful.

It doesn't mean guys aren't consciously trying to give their best effort.

Playing "the best" is a chance to highlight yourself and your team, it's just an extra shot of adrenaline and such.. that comes out on the field.

You often see the proof in the inverse.. watch a team's energy level when they play a shitbag team in a shitbag town with no energy in the stadium. You often see good teams play bad games.

We're human, not machines.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's absolutely true.

The season is long and it's just not possible to maintain a complete competitive equilibrium every week. Energy level's wax and wane.. that's where external motivation can, sometimes, be helpful.

It doesn't mean guys aren't consciously trying to give their best effort.

Playing "the best" is a chance to highlight yourself and your team, it's just an extra shot of adrenaline and such.. that comes out on the field.

You often see the proof in the inverse.. watch a team's energy level when they play a shitbag team in a shitbag town with no energy in the stadium. You often see good teams play bad games.

We're human, not machines.
<ERROR >
<ERROR >
SPEAK FOR YOURSELF, HUMAN!
<ERROR>
<ERROR>

jjab360

Legend
I think there's definitely teams that get a target put on their backs, that is to say their opponents are looking to make a statement.

Look no further than last year's game against the Lions, you think Goff and co. didn't play harder that game than any other game they played last season?

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I think there's definitely teams that get a target put on their backs, that is to say their opponents are looking to make a statement.

Look no further than last year's game against the Lions, you think Goff and co. didn't play harder that game than any other game they played last season?
Correct. I don’t think they played harder.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

Truth, or myth?

I tend to lean to your belief on this one.

I believe the pressure is more self inflicted, by the defending Champion.

This is a brutal sport week in and week out, with teams giving it there all, every week.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
If you have played any sport competitively, you know that this is true. Every single time my teams went against the "best" team or an undefeated team we put a little more out there. Its extra motivation, which turns into extra adrenaline, which can rally your team quite well. I bet every single coach that plays us is telling their team before the game "Now lets go beat the Superbowl champions!"

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
But that could also work the other way too.

"We are a rebuilding team, we don't have a chance against the SuperBowl champions."

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
So you think the Lions went as far as a surprise onside kick and 2 fake punts every game last season? C'mon man.

They clearly had something to prove after the trade.
That’s not a matter of effort, that’s a high risk strategy (desperation, arguably). Two different things. Had they failed, they would have just looked silly.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
If you have played any sport competitively, you know that this is true. Every single time my teams went against the "best" team or an undefeated team we put a little more out there. Its extra motivation, which turns into extra adrenaline, which can rally your team quite well. I bet every single coach that plays us is telling their team before the game "Now lets go beat the Superbowl champions!"
I played plenty of sports competitively, and I had only one speed (probably why I’ve had two surgeries from pick up game injuries). :sur::wow2:

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I played plenty of sports competitively, and I had only one speed (probably why I’ve had two surgeries from pick up game injuries). :sur::wow2:
You must've witnessed it with your team mates at least then. The locker room buzz when that certain team was next, whether it was a rival, last years champions, or a top contender that year.

jjab360

Legend
That’s not a matter of effort, that’s a high risk strategy (desperation, arguably). Two different things. Had they failed, they would have just looked silly.
But they didn't fail because they had our ST weaknesses scouted well. Probably due to gameplanning weeks beforehand. They were more desperate to win this particular game, so they put in more work, hence there was more effort.

I think we're just playing a game of semantics here..

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
But they didn't fail because they had our ST weaknesses scouted well. Probably due to gameplanning weeks beforehand. They were more desperate to win this particular game, so they put in more work, hence there was more effort.

I think we're just playing a game of semantics here..
So, what you’re saying is…
DFDA9BED-5051-448B-8C08-A9DAE8F7CBAD.jpeg

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Of course people are motivated more and try harder versus the best. They want to say, they beat the champs. Same thing applies in many aspects of life, not just sports. It’s how we measure ourselves.

Tano

Legend
Personally, I think the getting motivated to play the champions is huge in the first few minutes of a game

After that, then it depends on the flow of the game.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Personally, I think the getting motivated to play the champions is huge in the first few minutes of a game

After that, then it depends on the flow of the game.
“Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.”

- Mike Tyson

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think it is totally true.

To be the best, you have to beat the best.

Playing the Rams this year is going to be everybody's Super Bowl.