The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
You say that so much I almost feel like you hope it happens. I get all that.

Quite the opposite - I don't want it to happen, which is why I'm banging the table for the patience of at least one more season and rebuilding the team around him, starting with a C who's not a turnstile. I've already stated we've seen this play out with the Rams before and we've seen where it ends up. Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it, and I'd rather not repeat it.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I'm sure you are offended and would expect nothing less. Cheers though my man. :beer2: :cool:
Okay, as we are both long time members and at the end of the day aspire for the same results, I will disengage here

I made my peace, sometimes it’s best to agree to disagree

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm hearing Stan Kroenke will pay thirty million dollars to the Detroit Lions to sweeten the (Stafford) deal

If we get Stafford over Goff, I'll be pissed. I'd rather have a disgruntled, coked-up Goff with his hair on fire like Richard Pryor than Stafford at his best.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
If the new guy doesn't provide an instant, obvious upgrade over Goff ... people are going to start questioning the move. If Goff lights it up with another team, people are going to start wondering why McVay couldn't have gotten that production here ... If both of those things happen ... look out.

We've seen this movie before in Ramville, and I have a bad feeling we are walking right down that same road again.
When you say ‘we’ve seen this movie before in Ramville’, to what are you referring?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then the most staunch supporters will continue their voyage of acceptance by transferring their righteous anger to the Rams and McVay. They will hate whoever comes in to replace him. Why was Goff replaced they don't understand and never will.
This is sad I thought you were better than this. You absolutely know that's false just stop.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Meant to include this in my response, but ...

Fact is that the ones making all the noise about Goff being moved will be the ones that refuse to accept he was part of the problem.

As one making a lot of noise about Goff, I've never denied he was part of the problem. But others - apparently McVay included - seem to think Goff is the only problem. I've seen no acknowledgement from him (other than his general, vague "I've got to do better" platitude) through his actions in fixing the OL (which was neglected last offseason), working on his own playcalling (which has become very predictable and unimaginative), and so on. Many of the posters here are the same way, to the point that they assume some JAG like Gardner Mishnew would have done better in this same situation, which would be laughable if it weren't so pitiful.

Yeah, call Goff out for not taking care of the football (something he did better with later in the season, seemingly the message got through). But why not call out his C for time and time again whiffing on blocks that left Goff with no place to step up to and often times getting him hit or sacked. And why not acknowledge some of his own problems specifically, like his 3rd and 4 and then 4th and 4 playcalls against the Jets, where he went for deep shots instead of continuing to work the ball down the field with higher percentage plays that had a better chance of making the first down? Instead, he comes up with the lame excuse that "well, they gave us some looks".

Goff isn't the only problem. But he's being treated as he was, up to and including a head coach who is refusing to acknowledge his own role in the problems of this offense.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
As one of his most staunch supporters I won’t like it .. but you bet your ass I’ll Support whoever is under centre ... but I’ll be throwing I told you so’s if we are sitting at home while goff makes the playoffs in his team

Yea but how many people on here are saying Goff is outright a bad quarterback? I want him on the colts cause I think he can succeed there and I want him do do well.
I know it's a business and we need to do what's best for the rams but we understandably feel loyalty and attachment to certain players sometimes. So I'm not sure there is a lot of people in this room that deserve an "I told you so." I think most people think Goff is a good qb and can succeed in the right environment. I hope it's the Colts. Now if he was traded to the bears I'd worry about him. No matter where he goes and I probably said this in at least in a half dozen posts I will root for him 1000% unless he is playing us or affects us like our playoff chances or something of that ilk. What he did for the rams and how he helped us get back to at least being a strong organisation shouldn't be forgotten or shit on. He will always be a ram to me.
That said and sentiments aside this team here as currently constituted might have gone as far as they can go with Goff. That's what it seems the organisation thinks and a lot of posters. By no means though should Goff be disrespected or downplayed.
I keep saying I don't like these people that think Goff is a salary dump. What??? Yea no he has value and his contract is pretty good for the accquiring team and he comes with some pedigree. So no need for the "I told you so" dude. That works both ways and a lot of the posters that said they thought it was time to move on can all be saying "I told you so" now. I don't see anyone doing that though because I believe most of us respect the kid even the ones that truly don't like him for whatever reason.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

As one making a lot of noise about Goff, I've never denied he was part of the problem. But others - apparently McVay included - seem to think Goff is the only problem. I've seen no acknowledgement from him (other than his general, vague "I've got to do better" platitude) through his actions in fixing the OL (which was neglected last offseason), working on his own playcalling (which has become very predictable and unimaginative), and so on. Many of the posters here are the same way, to the point that they assume some JAG like Gardner Mishnew would have done better in this same situation, which would be laughable if it weren't so pitiful.

Yeah, call Goff out for not taking care of the football (something he did better with later in the season, seemingly the message got through). But why not call out his C for time and time again whiffing on blocks that left Goff with no place to step up to and often times getting him hit or sacked. And why not acknowledge some of his own problems specifically, like his 3rd and 4 and then 4th and 4 playcalls against the Jets, where he went for deep shots instead of continuing to work the ball down the field with higher percentage plays that had a better chance of making the first down? Instead, he comes up with the lame excuse that "well, they gave us some looks".

Goff isn't the only problem. But he's being treated as he was, up to and including a head coach who is refusing to acknowledge his own role in the problems of this offense.
I'm honestly shocked he's taking this route with other board members and I'm extremely sad he's going this way. Shame a mod won't step in because this is just beyond words.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
What would lead you to question his work ethic? 2019 & 2020 plenty of articles about Goff's off season conditioning, and how he is stronger, put on weight etc. Then plays thru a broken thumb in game that he was able to rehab and play thru. And career wise, how many OC, QB coaches and systems has he adapted to? 4 straight winning seasons, 3 playoff trips.
I get it, his play was not great at times and there's a shiny new toy out there which many would love to have. But this stuff about his personal effort, personal life etc, why are we going there? At the end of the day, if our QB, who's been here for 5 years has a work BS

2 systems. 1 his rookie year and the same one since then.

And fair enough - I don’t know it’s work ethic that is stopping him from processing plays and diagnosing defenses quicker - it could be that it’s not a question of how hard he works at it - that’s why I presented it as an “or” kind of question. Regardless, he does not seem to me to be mentally grasping it the way he needs to. He is slow on his diagnostic and careless with the ball while he sits back there figuring it out.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75

I think that can be misconstrued. The rams may feel they have gone as far as they are going to go with Goff.
The other thing is if the line is less than stellar and we all have chimed in about this it's not all Goff he just doesn't fit the offense because to give him a great line is very expensive. The dead cap alone gets you one great left tackle with some change left over. Even centers are being paid now etc. So the rams don't have that cap space so they want a creator mobility etc. That's all. It's not all on Goff not at all. He is part of a problem but it's easier to help solve the problem by replacing one piece instead of many.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I believe the smoke. I think the Rams are trying to make a change under center.

And I think it comes down to either work ethic, processing speed, or both.

The decision making just hasnt progressed as much as it should. When he knows where to put it, Goff has an elite arm. But he doesn’t see it as often as it seems he should and it costs us sacks and turnovers.

I think McV wants a sharper mind at QB. But I am just guessing.
Does Jared Goff lack (football IQ) Mental Quickness?

Shuie3225

Starter
And why not acknowledge some of his own problems specifically, like his 3rd and 4 and then 4th and 4 playcalls against the Jets, where he went for deep shots instead of continuing to work the ball down the field with higher percentage plays that had a better chance of making the first down?

See this is the problem man. You can't tell when the issue is Goff and when it's not. There were numerous threads on this exact point and it shows why Goff has regressed. Im not trying to insult your football knowledge, but blaming the result of those plays on McVay is a joke.

Both play calls were the CORRECT calls vs the defensive looks, Goff chose the wrong WRs in the progression. He locked onto his first read which was Akers on the 3rd down. The 4th down if he waits a split second longer he has Kupp wide open on a crossing route. Goff needed 4 yards yet Goff chose the deep options on both those plays. McVay didn't tell him to go deep, he chose to. All our route combos have deep options, its up to the QB to go through the progression, have some situational awareness, and find the correct WR.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So the Rams would be better off with Jordan Love at QB than Jared Goff?
He's better than Wolf and on a rookie contract. He has a cap hit of $2.8 mil. We would gain over $12mil by trading Goff, that would cut our cap overage from $27mil to $17mil. Of course you would ask for pick compensation and GB would have a haul from trading Rodgers.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
When you say ‘we’ve seen this movie before in Ramville’, to what are you referring?

Martz threw Warner under the bus. Refused to adjust his playcalling for him after teams caught up with him. Let the OL deteriorate. Warner got hurt. Thought he could roll with just about any QB, so went to Bulger, who while serviceable, was nothing close to Warner. Dumped Kurt, who had a huge career rennaissance a few years later with AZ by merely figuring out that using a glove could fix his grip problems, something that could have been done in house with us. The Rams continued to deteriorate and the franchise went into a tailspin that it only relatively recently came out of. Oh, and all of that happened after an offensive genius got schooled in a Super Bowl by Bill Belichek.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Goff isn't the only problem.
You say that. But then I read your posts and it sounds like you don't think he was a problem. Or you act like his problems are 100% correctable.

But what if McVay thinks that's not true. Should he hold on to Goff to make us happy?