Teams are looking hard at Manziel and RGIII

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
http://www.ramsondemand.com/forums/rams-nfl-talk.26/create-thread

Before you bust on me for reading bleacher report, I think they have gotten better stories of late and as for the inside info, they talk to scouts just like everyone else. TIFWIW

6. Scout on Johnny Manziel: "Teams looking hard at him"

An NFC scout said something that stunned me, though maybe it shouldn't. He said there are at least a half-dozen teams interested in Johnny Manziel if the Browns—as expected—dump him. (I'm not totally convinced the Browns will cut ties, but everyone I speak to around the NFL says it's a certainty.)

The scout said what everyone has been thinking: The Cowboys are one of the teams interested, the front-runners. It's such a marvelously bad idea, it's certain to happen.

7. And RG3?

That same scout said there is even more interest in Robert Griffin III.

Said the scout: "Every team with quarterback needs will look at him. He'll have almost his pick of places to go. There's still a thought process that [Washington] ruined him and he can be fixed."

This scout predicted Griffin would end up with the Rams.

I don't want either and I really hope that this is not Fisher and Sneads answer to, ' another offseason of searching for a QB'. I wanted the Rams to draft RGIII after watching him in college. But after seeing him in the Pros I knew I was about as wrong as I could be. I don't think it is time to revisit the idea.....ever.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I'm with you @Elmgrovegnome. Please no!

Not only are both of these guys poor QBs but they're also awful people especially Manziel. At least RG3 has put some good things on film (albeit 3 years ago) but Manziel has done nothing to deserve a second chance. In fact, he's actively and repeatedly gone out of his way to make himself unemployable in the league although apparently at least half a dozen teams disagree.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Not only are both of these guys poor QBs but they're also awful people especially Manziel. At least RG3 has put some good things on film (albeit 3 years ago) but Manziel has done nothing to deserve a second chance. In fact, he's actively and repeatedly gone out of his way to make himself unemployable in the league although apparently at least half a dozen teams disagree.

I don't even want RGIII to come in as a potential back up on a small contract. From what I have read about him he is a cancer in the locker room.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I don't even want RGIII to come in as a potential back up on a small contract. From what I have read about him he is a cancer in the locker room.

I agree and I do not think Fisher will want him because he is a big proponent of team chemistry. Foles appeared to be a great locker room guy from what I understand but he just failed on the field. RG3 has failed on and off the field.

I hope we avoid both RG3 and Johnny like the plague.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Right now - unless Mannion is a stud and they were just afraid to take the packaging off of him as a rook - we are among the worst QB situations in the league.

We can't be nixing candidates because we don't like a guys media persona.

Last edited:

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Id actually prefer Manziel because I think RGIii is so broken. When a guy can't even line up under center, properly assess the defense and take a seven step drop (he was taking 6 or 8 or more and his line didn't know where to set the edge) I don't how he's ever going to play.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Count me as one of those who really liked RGIII at the draft. At the time, although I preferred all the draft picks from the Redskins, I still would have been fine drafting RGIII at #2.

His rookie season was no fluke. The dude has the potential be an elite QB in this league. He has shown that.

However, his recent form is concerning. As are the personality issues he has demonstrated at times in Washington. And above all the health issues cause great concern - does he even have the physical ability to play like he did in college and during his rookie season? There are simply too many question marks. This team is ready to make a run now if we have a legit QB. We need to draft a high end QB in April. Our window will not stay open forever. We cannot keep gambling on huge risks and hoping for the best. The draft is no sure thing either but at least grabbing a quality QB there is more likely than succeeding with massive reclamation projects.

I'd be thrilled if we could somehow swap RGIII in for Foles.... but I'm not sure how realistic that is. I'm sure there will be at least a few teams wiling to give Griffin the starting role. Beyond that, Snisher would likely have to work some cap magic.

If Snisher is not going to draft a QB, and instead goes the FA route, I'd prefer RGIII to Kaepernick.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
My main concern about RG3 is that even if he can mentally recover from the Washington debacle, he is so slight of build that I just don't think he can last. Dude is really small framed.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The free agent QB class this year is more intriguing than usual.

RGIII
Manziel
possibly Kaep
Bradford

Any one of those 4 would make me feel a lot better about the QB situation but none of them would make me feel like we have the position locked down.

If I had to order them:

Bradford
Kaep
RGIII
Manziel

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

is it possible that rg3,manziel and capudick just wanted out of their situation and played poorly on purpose. if they came cheap I would bring them in if they aren't up to snuff cute them. beggers can't be choosers.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
is it possible that rg3,manziel and capudick just wanted out of their situation and played poorly on purpose. if they came cheap I would bring them in if they aren't up to snuff cute them. beggers can't be choosers.

Maybe Manziel is stupid enough to screw up, thinking he'd go elsewhere and be better off. Kaepernick and RG3 cost themselves too much money for that realistically to be the case.

Even Manziel would have been better off behaving. Becoming the regular starter, and then leaving when his contract is up.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil

I wouldn't rule anything out with these knuckleheads but if that's what they did, they can stay the hell away from my team.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Right now - unless Mannion is a stud and they were just afraid to take the packaging off of him as a rook - we are among the worst QB situations in the league.

We can't be nixing candidates because we don't like a guys media persona.

It is way beyond media persona. Griffin has not looked good in his few opportunities. He needs fixing and how likely is that to happen on the Rams? Manziel has drug and alcohol problems. How committed would he be to any team?

My main concern about RG3 is that even if he can mentally recover from the Washington debacle, he is so slight of build that I just don't think he can last. Dude is really small framed.

And there is that too.

The free agent QB class this year is more intriguing than usual.

RGIII
Manziel
possibly Kaep
Bradford

Any one of those 4 would make me feel a lot better about the QB situation but none of them would make me feel like we have the position locked down.

If I had to order them:

Bradford
Kaep
RGIII
Manziel

Of the 4 Bradford is the only guy I consider...and I don't think he is a good leader or a great QB. His arm is good at times but overrated for the most part. He often threw the ball late on easy throws. His eye rolling and open expression of disgust doesn't endear him to players, I'm sure. However! With the improvement of the OLine in having the lowest number of sacks (even though that can be partly contributed to Keenum's scrambling) could allow Bradford to play a bit better. But he always held the ball too long so that may neutralize that affect......and there is the injury potential.

I don't think so. Performing poorly, flaunting team rules, looking lost on the field is no way to make other teams think you are a solution to their problems.

I really wish one of these players was the solution at QB for the Rams but I just don't see how it is possible. They need a QB that can play the NFL game and deal with NFL defenses by more than just running away on every play that your first read is not open.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I would stick with Keenum before I would bring in Manziel. That guy is a total screwup and can't even learn from his plentiful mistakes.

Psycho_X

Legend
Johnny Football in L.A.? No thanks.

No kidding, people thought he couldn't handle his partying issues in Cleveland what the hell is he going to be like in LA and driving distance to Vegas.

RG3 and Caepercrap... man I hate both of those dudes. With our defense I think they could help us win more than what we have currently IF we had the right OC to go with them. Someone who understands their strengths and weaknesses. It would take a perfect marriage there and not sure Fisher is up to the task.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Thing I don't like about RG3 is I don't think he's done blaming everyone else for his problems. I suspect he's going to need a second tier of failure before he might consider himself to be the problem, and even then it's doubtful. If the Rams do give him a shot I'm not worried about it though, provided they don't go with him as a primary option.

Johnny is similar in that one failure might not be enough, but personally I don't think he's blaming everyone else. I think he is having a hard time slaying that inner party boy. This is why I think a head coach like Fish might be exactly what he needs. If Fish were to settle him down the Rams could end up with a legitimate option at QB.

I've never seen Johnny as someone it is wise to bet on as your main guy going into camp. But there is nothing wrong with adding him as a darkhorse on the roster. Let him compete, let Fish handle him through camp and see what you have. If he plays well in preseason the Rams could still trade him if they think he's going to implode. If he screws up cut him. It's no big deal really IMO.