Strauss: Bradford's injury is a turning point for franchise

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
• Joe Strauss

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_0db41247-b12b-58bc-9524-4c2eaa4b8cd9.html

The loss of Rams quarterback Sam Bradford to a second season-ending injury to his left anterior cruciate ligament gives rise to competing narratives:

The first demands cancellation of all Happy Talk at Rams Park. The 2014 season is officially stillborn. Abandon ye all hope of a winning record or, guffaw, a run to the playoffs. Coach Jeff Fisher and the front office are to be drawn and quartered for ignoring the position during premium rounds of this spring’s draft.

The second pivots from the great expectations that surrounded Bradford’s return from last season’s rupture to back-up Shaun Hill’s fitness to manage the Rams’ ground-and-pound offensive scheme.

Those who rate player value for

handicapping purposes projected Bradford’s worth at about one point per game above replacement. Regarding Hill, Fisher said Sunday, “There’s not a throw he can’t make.”

Short term, it’s challenging. Long term, it’s pitch black.

For now the Rams hand the ball to a quarterback who has attempted 16 passes the last three regular seasons.

Hill is backed by Austin Davis and SMU rookie Garrett Gilbert, who have little in common except they play the same position and have never thrown a pass in an NFL game that’s counted. The question isn’t whether the Rams will add quarterback depth in the next week or two, but who he will be.

Perhaps Hill can maintain his .500 record (13-13) as an NFL starter. He seemingly throws a nice ball from a three-quarters angle. He’s 34 and probably better suited for the situation than if the Rams had thrown in with Johnny Goofball or one of several other SEC quarterbacks available when they took Auburn rusher Tre Mason with their third-round pick.

Apologies for not buying into the knee-jerk Kurt Warner comparisons. Warner was a comet that comes around every three decades, not a lightning strike that hits the same spot every 15 years.

Folks who compare Hill favorably to Kellen Clemens may be entitled to their optimism. But that’s within the context of a possible break-even season.

The ramifications of Bradford’s relapse more dramatically impact the team’s long-term future. It is fair to say next season’s starter is probably not on campus. This is tough medicine for a franchise entering the third season of a three-year blueprint. Saturday night in Cleveland necessitates a paradigm shift.

Spending an early pick on a quarterback wouldn’t have softened the loss of Bradford for this season, but it may have offered direction down the road. Worse, Bradford goes down a second time after draft leverage gained via the RG III trade has evaporated. Fisher had no problem telling the world Bradford was his quarterback days before this year’s draft. Now the position is a long-term void.

No matter how clinical, how objective one wants to remain on the topic, it’s difficult not to wince at Bradford’s personal challenge.

Sure, the game has made Bradford obscenely wealthy, a fact numerous anonymous on-line critics cite when alleging organizational myopia or some sort of “toughness” deficiency on the quarterback’s part. Argue away whether the Rams reached when taking Bradford with the first overall pick in the 2010 draft. The belief here remains that Bradford never represented a transcendent talent. But he did become the league’s offensive rookie of the year. He did elevate his play before the left knee crumbled in last season’s seventh game. It was entirely believable his career arc would ascend along with the talent level around him.

Bradford rarely left St. Louis during his rehab. Pushing to get ready for Week 1 against the Minnesota Vikings, he became a daily 12-hour presence at Rams Park. Hostage to a seven-month rehab, he slumped in a chair June 19 mere moments after the Rams’ final optional training activity.

Bradford confessed he needed to gain additional stamina in the leg but also was pleased that the mentally exhausting daily routine was behind him. He could again travel, play some golf, have a life.

Now, without having taken a single regular-season snap, Bradford knows exactly the torture that awaits him. Fisher described the 26-year-old as “devastated.” Recalling the guy sitting in that chair two months ago, it’s possible to think Fisher’s term an understatement.

The Rams stand convicted of growing personally attached to a player within the most bottom-line of sports. Bradford has long been reluctant to let media close. He is far more engaging one-on-one than standing before a media mosh pit. Those with more regular, relaxed access describe a sincere, engaging guy who exhibits no trappings of the ego that typically accompanies the most important position in team sport. Bradford has done Vegas. (And why not?)

But reflecting on Johnny Manziel’s recent single-finger salute of the Washington Redskins’ bench, an Earth City type noted how liberating it was not having to obsess about this quarterback being attached to such goofball, distracting behavior.

But now Bradford’s anterior cruciate ligament is badly bowed. A reality encroaches that the Rams can never again trust him as starting quarterback, at least not under terms of a contract that would pay him more than $16 million next season.

Saturday night in Cleveland ended an era in which the Rams could proceed on what they wanted to happen. Today they must tacitly acknowledge what needs to happen.

In the next eight months the Rams must decide whether to pursue a free agent such as Alex Smith, to trade for someone else’s talent (Kirk Cousins) or to move all-in to gain an early first-round selection to be exercised on Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota or some other luminary within a quarterback-rich draft.

One hopes this season still viable. The current regime has done solid work exhuming the franchise by granting time to younger players rather than trying to fool folks with blanket retreads.

Fisher showed himself able to manage a tough situation last season. Unfortunately, it will be riveting to watch how this organization does the same going forward.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Best reporting I've seen yet on the SB situation.

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
So tired of the reporting Austin Davis hasn't taken an NFL snap in a meaningful game/regular season game.. I have read this from several different writers now and I say,Well no shit not one NFL QB or player had taken a regular season snap until they did it.. No matter anyone's draft status you don't know what you have until you put them in battle.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
See, I disagree. With all due respect I think the "reporting" is flawed from the outset.

His premise is that Shaun Hill isn't the QB that Kellen Clemens is? That's a unadulterated crock of shit. I've not heard one person who knows QBs who's trying to say that Hill isn't a significant upgrade over Clemens. Bradford was playing great, but the way this guy paints it, you'd think Josh Blue was our backup QB fer cryin out loud. (he's a comedian with Cerebral Palsy for those who don't know him. He's hysterical. Check him out if you don't already know of his stuff)

Rather than do any actual analysis of the offense that Schottenheimer asked Kellen Clemens to run and the offense that Schottenheimer will ask Shaun Hill to run and compare rosters and compare the throws each QB can make and then look at what Kellen Clemens did which is to go 4-2 outside our division and lose 3 game inside the division, twice to Seattle and arguably, we should have won one of those games, he acts like he's Xanax ran out. Oh, and in winning those 4 games, he beat 2 playoff teams and a team that just missed the playoffs in Chicago. No, we whopped two playoff teams.

If we analyze the throws Hill CAN and DOES make with these players against what Clemens COULD and DID make leading this team to quality wins and it tells us that if this team executes as it's capable of doing, with Shaun Hill at the helm, they are capable of winning a LOT of games. Heck, the way the schedule is breaking down, we SHOULD be 5-0 heading into our home game with Seattle.

Our future is still very bright. Very bright.

If people think this Bradford stuff is old, this Chicken Little reportage is getting REALLY old.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Doesn't Joe usually do movie reviews?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This is very difficult situation because if the Rams did not feel anyone in the draft was worthy then why draft the guy? Now I concur that maybe they should have considered more of a priority, but I don't think anyone would have bet on Bradford being injured now.

Strauss is correct on the future IMO, it's not like Hill is young and next year could be more unsettling, however, you never know what is going to develop of if the Rams will make a trade. However, again it is easy to write what the should have done let's hope there is an answer sooner rather than later.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
The guys that think we shoulda drafted Manziel write articles like this. He already us off for the season. I still say restructure Sam, trust Hill, and see what we got in Gilbert and Davis. We can still make a run if we stay healthy.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
I wonder if Strauss has watched 1 snap this year? I seriously doubt it. We get NO serious coverage for the Rams from the Post and so Bradford goes down and they all do a piece. Not impressed.

duckhunter

Starter
Whatever you or me think of the piece is not the issue to me. We will have to go through a thousand of these regurgitations of the simple facts until some sane or insane point is made and that is not an attractive proposition to me. I call the QB situation a tar baby because we will argue the merits of articles like this one probably right up to the draft and then probably through the exhibition season. Seems like a lot of wasted energy and angst for fans and management. If Hill goes down, a lot can get ugly real quick.

I would of put Bradford's injury risk at 50/50 this year and would raise it to 75/25 if he comes back to the Rams at all next year. It's so unfortunate because we are pretty close elsewhere on the team.

Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Whatever you or me think of the piece is not the issue to me. We will have to go through a thousand of these regurgitations of the simple facts until some sane or insane point is made and that is not an attractive proposition to me. I call the QB situation a tar baby because we will argue the merits of articles like this one probably right up to the draft and then probably through the exhibition season. Seems like a lot of wasted energy and angst for fans and management. If Hill goes down, a lot can get ugly real quick.

I would of put Bradford's injury risk at 50/50 this year and would raise it to 75/25 if he comes back to the Rams at all next year. It's so unfortunate because we are pretty close elsewhere on the team.

Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

It really is a lot of wasted energy that will be discussed for the next year.

I just wanna focus on the positives because the negatives are all you hear, now.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
It may be a turning point for the franchise. It may also turn out that our run-heavy offense doesn't need to invest big in a QB to succeed.

Gotta let the season play out before we know anything.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
It may be a turning point for the franchise. It may also turn out that our run-heavy offense doesn't need to invest big in a QB to succeed.

Gotta let the season play out before we know anything.

Its just you need a big arm to really punish them on the play action if they start cheating by putting 8 in the box...s'okay though. Hill can do it,

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
See, I disagree. With all due respect I think the "reporting" is flawed from the outset.

His premise is that Shaun Hill isn't the QB that Kellen Clemens is? That's a unadulterated crock of crap. I've not heard one person who knows QBs who's trying to say that Hill isn't a significant upgrade over Clemens. Bradford was playing great, but the way this guy paints it, you'd think Josh Blue was our backup QB fer cryin out loud. (he's a comedian with Cerebral Palsy for those who don't know him. He's hysterical. Check him out if you don't already know of his stuff)

Rather than do any actual analysis of the offense that Schottenheimer asked Kellen Clemens to run and the offense that Schottenheimer will ask Shaun Hill to run and compare rosters and compare the throws each QB can make and then look at what Kellen Clemens did which is to go 4-2 outside our division and lose 3 game inside the division, twice to Seattle and arguably, we should have won one of those games, he acts like he's Xanax ran out. Oh, and in winning those 4 games, he beat 2 playoff teams and a team that just missed the playoffs in Chicago. No, we whopped two playoff teams.

If we analyze the throws Hill CAN and DOES make with these players against what Clemens COULD and DID make leading this team to quality wins and it tells us that if this team executes as it's capable of doing, with Shaun Hill at the helm, they are capable of winning a LOT of games. Heck, the way the schedule is breaking down, we SHOULD be 5-0 heading into our home game with Seattle.

Our future is still very bright. Very bright.

If people think this Bradford stuff is old, this Chicken Little reportage is getting REALLY old.

That was a lot of hostility for such an optimistic post. (y)

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
• Joe Strauss

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_0db41247-b12b-58bc-9524-4c2eaa4b8cd9.html

The loss of Rams quarterback Sam Bradford to a second season-ending injury to his left anterior cruciate ligament gives rise to competing narratives:

The first demands cancellation of all Happy Talk at Rams Park. The 2014 season is officially stillborn. Abandon ye all hope of a winning record or, guffaw, a run to the playoffs. Coach Jeff Fisher and the front office are to be drawn and quartered for ignoring the position during premium rounds of this spring’s draft.

The second pivots from the great expectations that surrounded Bradford’s return from last season’s rupture to back-up Shaun Hill’s fitness to manage the Rams’ ground-and-pound offensive scheme.

Those who rate player value for

handicapping purposes projected Bradford’s worth at about one point per game above replacement. Regarding Hill, Fisher said Sunday, “There’s not a throw he can’t make.”

Short term, it’s challenging. Long term, it’s pitch black.

For now the Rams hand the ball to a quarterback who has attempted 16 passes the last three regular seasons.

Hill is backed by Austin Davis and SMU rookie Garrett Gilbert, who have little in common except they play the same position and have never thrown a pass in an NFL game that’s counted. The question isn’t whether the Rams will add quarterback depth in the next week or two, but who he will be.

Perhaps Hill can maintain his .500 record (13-13) as an NFL starter. He seemingly throws a nice ball from a three-quarters angle. He’s 34 and probably better suited for the situation than if the Rams had thrown in with Johnny Goofball or one of several other SEC quarterbacks available when they took Auburn rusher Tre Mason with their third-round pick.

Apologies for not buying into the knee-jerk Kurt Warner comparisons. Warner was a comet that comes around every three decades, not a lightning strike that hits the same spot every 15 years.

Folks who compare Hill favorably to Kellen Clemens may be entitled to their optimism. But that’s within the context of a possible break-even season.

The ramifications of Bradford’s relapse more dramatically impact the team’s long-term future. It is fair to say next season’s starter is probably not on campus. This is tough medicine for a franchise entering the third season of a three-year blueprint. Saturday night in Cleveland necessitates a paradigm shift.

Spending an early pick on a quarterback wouldn’t have softened the loss of Bradford for this season, but it may have offered direction down the road. Worse, Bradford goes down a second time after draft leverage gained via the RG III trade has evaporated. Fisher had no problem telling the world Bradford was his quarterback days before this year’s draft. Now the position is a long-term void.

No matter how clinical, how objective one wants to remain on the topic, it’s difficult not to wince at Bradford’s personal challenge.

Sure, the game has made Bradford obscenely wealthy, a fact numerous anonymous on-line critics cite when alleging organizational myopia or some sort of “toughness” deficiency on the quarterback’s part. Argue away whether the Rams reached when taking Bradford with the first overall pick in the 2010 draft. The belief here remains that Bradford never represented a transcendent talent. But he did become the league’s offensive rookie of the year. He did elevate his play before the left knee crumbled in last season’s seventh game. It was entirely believable his career arc would ascend along with the talent level around him.

Bradford rarely left St. Louis during his rehab. Pushing to get ready for Week 1 against the Minnesota Vikings, he became a daily 12-hour presence at Rams Park. Hostage to a seven-month rehab, he slumped in a chair June 19 mere moments after the Rams’ final optional training activity.

Bradford confessed he needed to gain additional stamina in the leg but also was pleased that the mentally exhausting daily routine was behind him. He could again travel, play some golf, have a life.

Now, without having taken a single regular-season snap, Bradford knows exactly the torture that awaits him. Fisher described the 26-year-old as “devastated.” Recalling the guy sitting in that chair two months ago, it’s possible to think Fisher’s term an understatement.

The Rams stand convicted of growing personally attached to a player within the most bottom-line of sports. Bradford has long been reluctant to let media close. He is far more engaging one-on-one than standing before a media mosh pit. Those with more regular, relaxed access describe a sincere, engaging guy who exhibits no trappings of the ego that typically accompanies the most important position in team sport. Bradford has done Vegas. (And why not?)

But reflecting on Johnny Manziel’s recent single-finger salute of the Washington Redskins’ bench, an Earth City type noted how liberating it was not having to obsess about this quarterback being attached to such goofball, distracting behavior.

But now Bradford’s anterior cruciate ligament is badly bowed. A reality encroaches that the Rams can never again trust him as starting quarterback, at least not under terms of a contract that would pay him more than $16 million next season.

Saturday night in Cleveland ended an era in which the Rams could proceed on what they wanted to happen. Today they must tacitly acknowledge what needs to happen.

In the next eight months the Rams must decide whether to pursue a free agent such as Alex Smith, to trade for someone else’s talent (Kirk Cousins) or to move all-in to gain an early first-round selection to be exercised on Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota or some other luminary within a quarterback-rich draft.

One hopes this season still viable. The current regime has done solid work exhuming the franchise by granting time to younger players rather than trying to fool folks with blanket retreads.

Fisher showed himself able to manage a tough situation last season. Unfortunately, it will be riveting to watch how this organization does the same going forward.

I don't "like it", but I sure agree with it.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Regarding hostility, Bradford going down has made it crazy off the hook everywhere. On Facebook, some guys on the Rams Club actually got in such a heated cluserflack of an agument over Hill, one guy posted his phone number and address challenging the guy to come over and they would kill each other. The post got deleted, but it was ugly. When did we as Rams fans become Raider fans? All in all, it's just a game, but for some, it's worth dying for or putting your family at risk for a drive-by shooting.

Imperial

UDFA
Name
Imperial
Coach Jeff Fisher and the front office are to be drawn and quartered for ignoring the position during premium rounds of this spring’s draft.

This part bugs me. He's assuming Fisher and Snead had a QB on their board with a good early-round grade and failed to pull the trigger, which I sincerely doubt was the case.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

This paragraph sums up Bradford's toughness and work ethic.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The season can't start soon enough.
Just bring on the Vikings already.

1-0.

AZRamsFan93

The guys that think we shoulda drafted Manziel write articles like this. He already us off for the season. I still say restructure Sam, trust Hill, and see what we got in Gilbert and Davis. We can still make a run if we stay healthy.
I wish I could muster your level of optimism.

I agree with the article. We have a long term void at QB.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I wish I could muster your level of optimism.

I agree with the article. We have a long term void at QB.

I just beleive in our positions other than QB. But hey, they definately have a cloud over them, now. :(