Some concerning player quotes...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
which is funny considering he is the rams all time leading tackler

I said it seemed like he never wanted to, ie when's the last time he made a TFL or laid a big hit? His tackles were always five yards passed the LoS. He consistently took the wrong angles and was never one to shed a block or attack the hole.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I hate the current CBA and think the downward spiral for execution across the NFL is due impart to that.
I'm sure it'll be an adjustment....they were too far the other way with OTA'a, two a days, and too much hitting...They went the other way...but maybe a bit too far...for SOME...many coaches have adjusted just fine...just not the Rams

GRob should have been benched well before that game. He should have had to work his way back up the roster, regardless of his ability. It would demonstrate accountability for playing poorly.
But still should have been active merl....You can't just start pointing out ONE guys mistakes and bench him...I also feel he lost the team with this benching...that was our first blow out...I call it the SEC standoff...defense laid down...for benching Greg in front of his G-Ma

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
But still should have been active merl....You can't just start pointing out ONE guys mistakes and bench him...I also feel he lost the team with this benching...that was our first blow out...I call it the SEC standoff...defense laid down...for benching Greg in front of his G-Ma

GRob is not the only guy who should have been held accountable, of course. But he was leading the league in penalties from early in the season and if Fish had been more concerned with the on-field product he would have set the precedent early on. IMO he was too concerned with making his 2 overall pick successful vs the overall health of the team.

And of course you can't sit everyone. But you start accountability right out the gate and start sitting those worst offenders and some of these guys might have played better. Also, it's not like Fish hadn't ever done that, as he and his defensive staff have sat non-performers or had them run the steps in SF pre-game for boneheaded play or decisions and there have been many points the defense bounced back from poor showings to go on runs of good games.

For myself it seemed there were a different set of rules on offense from the get go with Fish, where he gave non-performers playing time in spite of poor production and outright lack of execution. That is why this team never really developed offensively, along with some other key factors like horrible coordination, gameplanning and preparation.

But back to GRob everyone knew he had to be held accountable, and staff members had been seen screaming at him on the sideline. I honestly don't think the team quit due to his benching specifically, because in a merit-based league they understood it. I think they just knew they didn't have a chance by about four games into that losing streak under Case, and from there it's just the inevitable slide as guys start just trying to get through games vs win them.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But he was leading the league in penalties from early in the season
The one truth about Fish in his pressers was the comments concerning Greg and the refs...I don't think he committed a bunch of legitimate holding calls...Sorta like Quinn never got the benefit of the doubt about holding....and I'm sure he was instructed that when in doubt, protect the QB...meaning hold, grab, trip to prevent a violent sack....but totally agree...

Hell, Miami just cut 3 linemen in the middle of the season, and turned the team around. So, we shoulda been benching and cutting guys...and remember, we RELEASED KUSH & REYNOLDS!!!!!

RamsVA

UDFA
Name
RamsVA
This whole "kicking our existing culture in the teeth" thing is why I do not want a guy like McDaniels or Shanahan here. Too young and not enough success as LEADERS of men. Are they great offensive minds? Absolutely, but it is going to take A LOT more than an offensive genius to fix our team. We need a leader of men to come in here, set the tone, a new, win-only-is-the-acceptable tone. That's why guys like Payton or Gruden are who I'm personally rooting for. Guys who have done it on a HC level as well accountability level. There is tons of footage of these guys showing serious passion and dedication to the details of the craft. That's what I want.

Guys like McDaniels and Shanahan scare me because I think their respective egos and youth will hinder their ability to motivate. Look what happens with McDaniels, the dude imploded as soon as there was slight dysfunction. Read upon the Shanahan stories too, he's not the most mature guy you'll find on any given staff.

Get me a general, a leader of men, with the ability to design successful offense schemes, or at least able to recruit a competent coordinator for our offense. Payton or Gruden please.

I was originally on the Gruden and Cowher train but age doesn't define a HC - actions do. Look at the Steelers Mike Tomlin or Adam Gase in Miami. A leader is one who can have a plan and get his team to buy into it. McVay seems to have done that in Washington. I'd be happy with Cowher first, Gruden second, but I think the smart long-term choice would be McVay. His run-first mentality would be great with Gurley and play-action offense could do wonders for Goff like it has for Cousins. Too bad the Rams aren't bringing in a Bill Polian-type GM/Pres of Operations that could give a young first-time HC like McVay the opportunity to come in and focus on key aspects instead of having to worry about what's being done above. Demoff and Snead's own issues probably deny McVay the opportunity in LA.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I was originally on the Gruden and Cowher train but age doesn't define a HC - actions do. Look at the Steelers Mike Tomlin or Adam Gase in Miami. A leader is one who can have a plan and get his team to buy into it. McVay seems to have done that in Washington. I'd be happy with Cowher first, Gruden second, but I think the smart long-term choice would be McVay. His run-first mentality would be great with Gurley and play-action offense could do wonders for Goff like it has for Cousins. Too bad the Rams aren't bringing in a Bill Polian-type GM/Pres of Operations that could give a young first-time HC like McVay the opportunity to come in and focus on key aspects instead of having to worry about what's being done above. Demoff and Snead's own issues probably deny McVay the opportunity in LA.

Great post and I agree completely. I don't base egos or stubbornness on age, rather on the person. The NFL is an ego-filled business with a lot of testosterone flying around. It takes a a mature and humble individual, regardless of age, to be successful. From everything we read it sounds like McVay is an exception to the whole experience vs capability factor. He is young, but has spent 8 years in the league and he is a tremendous communicator according to all the reports from players and coaches. If he is indeed comparable to Shanny in terms of X's and O's then there's no way he isn't the choice. He is a humble, smart, capable, confident leader with great communication skills, as mentioned earlier.

My top 3:

1. Payton
2. Gruden
3. McVay

Please no McDaniels or Shanny (there, I said it!!) something g tells me Shanny will implode like McDaniels as soon as he hits adversity. Just my opinion though...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm sure it'll be an adjustment....they were too far the other way with OTA'a, two a days, and too much hitting...They went the other way...but maybe a bit too far...for SOME...many coaches have adjusted just fine...just not the Rams

-- When you get a coach that doesn't take advantage of practice time I have serious issues, unless it is proven successful. --Fisher also changed the weekly routines teams have done for years to that Monday Tuesday thing.
--He said it was better for the players, but added work for the coaches..??? Then was that another issue The Rams players were not coached up ???

--The Greg Robinson thing might have been to show Les Snead up ??

Fisher had 2 rookies running bleachers his first year at Candlestick before a game. Was it Pead & Jenkins ???

He locked out Vince young & Steve McNair with Tennessee. He didn't back him up. He was a Bud Adams guy. Always in the pocket of the owner.
Seeing Buddy Ryan hit his OC ?? Another example of how Fisher does not understand Coaching offense.
Ryan throwing keys on Fishers table to be the D.C. in NO's ...

When McNair was locked out Fisher was scouting Matt Lienart , same year Vince Young cameout. ---It was reported he liked Johnny Football as well. Great QB's who winnHeiesman's Excellent scouting. How many of those types have worked out ?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Personally, I don't think we start consistently winning until we get a new owner. It starts from the top. Stan is mediocre with every team he owns. Get a guy who cares more about winning then his money and you'll see a change.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Then was that another issue The Rams players were not coached up ???
Nope.
--The Greg Robinson thing might have been to show Les Snead up ??
Nope.
He was a Bud Adams guy. Always in the pocket of the owner.
Nope.
Ryan throwing keys on Fishers table to be the D.C. in NO's ...
Nope.
It was reported he liked Johnny Football as well.
Nope.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
JL55 said The Rams seemed like they never wanted to win
I don't have the exact quote, but I read this^ article, and I'm sure this is out-of-context! this puts the wrong spin on what JL was saying about the Rams!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Great post and I agree completely. I don't base egos or stubbornness on age, rather on the person. The NFL is an ego-filled business with a lot of testosterone flying around. It takes a a mature and humble individual, regardless of age, to be successful. From everything we read it sounds like McVay is an exception to the whole experience vs capability factor. He is young, but has spent 8 years in the league and he is a tremendous communicator according to all the reports from players and coaches. If he is indeed comparable to Shanny in terms of X's and O's then there's no way he isn't the choice. He is a humble, smart, capable, confident leader with great communication skills, as mentioned earlier.

My top 3:

1. Payton
2. Gruden
3. McVay

Please no McDaniels or Shanny (there, I said it!!) something g tells me Shanny will implode like McDaniels as soon as he hits adversity. Just my opinion though...
I don't believe your right about Shanahan, he's been around long enough, and on different Teams, and with his Dad teaching him to start with, he'll do well!
Maybe the Rams will bring Mike Shanahan in, like the Jags did Coughlin, as a Exec. VP in charge of Player/personnel, a post between Demoff and Snead!?!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Hard to believe there is a perennial losing team that has a "good culture"
I don't think the culture created the losing but I am certain the losing had an adverse effect on the culture

The coach has to change the culture. Fisher was too easy going to change anything. The next coach has to to have a strong plan and a strong will to enforce it. They need to get rid of mistake prone players. Get some professionals to replace them. Attitude and work ethic has to be a priority in the draft. No guys with character issues. You can't come in and thinking you have arrived. The winners in the NFL all work to be the best even in down years.

The next coach has a tough job and can't try to be everyone's buddy.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I don't believe your right about Shanahan, he's been around long enough, and on different Teams, and with his Dad teaching him to start with, he'll do well!
Maybe the Rams will bring Mike Shanahan in, like the Jags did Coughlin, as a Exec. VP in charge of Player/personnel, a post between Demoff and Snead!?!

All good my brotha, we'll see what happens. I wish I had the article I read a month ago, it outlines the dysfunction that occurred in Washington when Dad Shanny was the HC and son Shanny was the oc. There were a lot of rifts between he and the players/some members of staff. He may have matured since then, but those sorts of things circle within the league and create bad perceptions. There's also talk he rubbed people the wrong way in Atlanta as well. Sometimes it's not what you know so much as it's who you know and if I was a betting man, I'm sure some potential posturing coaches may shun from working under him bc of his prior trangretions. If we're strictly X's and O's this guy takes the cake, but when you're THE head hancho on the team you've got to be able to handle yourself a certain way 100% of the time. That is why I would rather see a guy like McVay who may be a little less scheme savvy (negligible) than Kyle but who commands everyone's respect and has it from everyone he has ever worked with.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Sorry, this is out of my Dead Horse post, but I just gotta jump in.

This is why I like McVay.

Different players respond to different kinds of coaching.

Some guys respond to butt kicking.

Some guys respond to encouragement.

Some guys respond to simple correction.

Some guys respond to punishment.

Some guys respond to rewards.

There are all sorts of ways that guys learn. Heck, there are 8 modalities of learning, so the idea that they can say, "well, we're at our wits' end. I mean, we shout and we shout and we shout and...nothing. No change."

Well, duh. Maybe he doesn't respond to being shouted at. AND... you should have known that from your scouting process. Part of the scouting process should include how best a player is coached to improve...cuz, you want to get them to produce at the next level, right?

Or, did you really just get a mound of potential and think you could simply shout him into being a Pro-Bowl Left Tackle???

Oh... You did? Hmmm. Well... um.... So what's your plan B?

I'm hoping it's McVay and a coaching staff that actually understands that there's more than one way to coach besides VOLUME... /smdh

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I said it seemed like he never wanted to, ie when's the last time he made a TFL or laid a big hit? His tackles were always five yards passed the LoS. He consistently took the wrong angles and was never one to shed a block or attack the hole.

Please lets get over this.. Jl job was to never attack the line fisher always had him patroling the middle of the field and when fisher did send him on a blitz he nearly always got there. JL value to the defense was making sure everyone was lined up being smarter then the opposing qb.. Alec didnt look good at mlb either because in this defense the olb are the ones that makes plays.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
All good my brotha, we'll see what happens. I wish I had the article I read a month ago, it outlines the dysfunction that occurred in Washington when Dad Shanny was the HC and son Shanny was the oc. There were a lot of rifts between he and the players/some members of staff. He may have matured since then, but those sorts of things circle within the league and create bad perceptions. There's also talk he rubbed people the wrong way in Atlanta as well. Sometimes it's not what you know so much as it's who you know and if I was a betting man, I'm sure some potential posturing coaches may shun from working under him bc of his prior trangretions. If we're strictly X's and O's this guy takes the cake, but when you're THE head hancho on the team you've got to be able to handle yourself a certain way 100% of the time. That is why I would rather see a guy like McVay who may be a little less scheme savvy (negligible) than Kyle but who commands everyone's respect and has it from everyone he has ever worked with.
I posted a couple quotes from that article in another thread. The gist of it was that Kyle has had no one to challenge him and Mike had been an enabler by hiring all his friends and not enstilling accountability.

www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/kyle-shanahan-staff-inexperience-at-core-of-redskins-dysfunction

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
The thought that each position group is being coached and told what to do completely away from the rest of the offense seems like a poor decision to me.

It's imbecilic.
If that was really happening, Fisher et al should have been fired a long time ago.