Silva: Rams Lack of Urgency on O-Line Amazing/Alarming

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
When is that?
For me, ... after the draft if we fail to add some solid offensive linemen. Hey, my mock wants :

A trade for LG Mathis
A 1 year prove-it deal with Barksdale matching what Wisniewski received.

Draft :

1a) RT - Flowers
1b) C - Erving
3) CB - PJ Williams

A lot would have to go right for this to happen, but I can hope ... (y)

V3

Hall of Fame
Wait, ... did I sleep thru the draft, the second phase of free agency and all our potential trade options, again ?
So you're fine with being forced into taking draft picks solely based on what position they play, because that's what the Rams are going to have to do. And to top that off, expecting rookie O-linemen to come in an play at a high level is beyond unfair to them. GRob was the 2nd overall pick and he wasn't very good all year. Hell, he couldn't even play for like 6 weeks. Also, expecting to get any FA players worth a damn right before TC or the season starting is a horrible plan. If that's what Fisher is expecting, he should be fired right now.

I'm sorry, I'm tired of hearing excuses for the Rams and Fisher. They've completely failed the O-line and it's part of the reason Bradford is in Philly. God help Foles this season because expecting a bunch of rookies to give him the time he needs is a fantasy I can't believe in.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Wiz didn't get paid crap tho. either the Rams didn't care for him or he didn't care for the Rams. and it really couldnt get much worse than last year lol. or could it...
This talk of players not interested in the Rams is not right. Players will sign with anyone for the right amount. And with $23 mil in cap space the Rams had to money to bring it at least one top FA OL and a good BU but chose not to sign anyone ( cant count the one they signed because they let another go). Very discouraging.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Such an easy fix... why don't they just sign some overpriced, past their prime FA lineman? ??

Because clearly that plan works.

/Sarcasm

Personally I'm ok with whatever their crazy plan is... because at least it's a different one....

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I truly believe that the best player on the board is gonna be an Offensive linemen at 10

As soon as the season begins our O-line will be in the best shape it has ever been - with young
promising beasts like GRob, Rhaney, Sherff and co, with some promising players like Reynolds
as our starting guard, we will add some depth for sure.

Unfortunately that won't be saying much / and it will still take an other 3 years of work to get
the thing to where it was in the 80's when we had the best offensive line in the universe

But we have addressing it for the last two years - the job just isn't done yet, the idea of lack
of urgency is silly. It's just a job that isn't gonna get done this year

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
So you're fine with being forced into taking draft picks solely based on what position they play, because that's what the Rams are going to have to do. And to top that off, expecting rookie O-linemen to come in an play at a high level is beyond unfair to them. GRob was the 2nd overall pick and he wasn't very good all year. Hell, he couldn't even play for like 6 weeks. Also, expecting to get any FA players worth a damn right before TC or the season starting is a horrible plan. If that's what Fisher is expecting, he should be fired right now.

I'm sorry, I'm tired of hearing excuses for the Rams and Fisher. They've completely failed the O-line and it's part of the reason Bradford is in Philly. God help Foles this season because expecting a bunch of rookies to give him the time he needs is a fantasy I can't believe in.
Please show me where I'm fine with being forced into anything, ... or being a Fisher homer ? We are where we are and i'm hoping for the best. In 3 years with 9 players being drafted in the first 3 rounds, the Rams have built an excellent young Defense and Special Teams unit while turning over nearly the entire roster. Yes, there have been some misses, mostly free agents, but this team is far better today than it was 3 years ago. jmo.
By the way, check out my post just prior to your reply.

Stel

Starter
Amazing/Alarming? No, but it gives the pundits something about which to write for the 24/7 information cycle pre draft.

So far, other than Wisniewski (and I have to think something odd was going on there), I can't name a single FA that has signed somewhere else that I think the Rams erred in not signing.

The simple fact is that people run around with their hair on fire over the Rams lack of progress on the Oline but it is hard to point to a mistake they've made in signing OLs (I'm limiting that to this offseason - I think there are some mistakes in the past).

The FAs who have been signed by a team this season fall into three categories: 1. Paid more than we would/should pay; 2. Stayed with their team; or 3. Didn't want them.

Time for concern? Maybe, but mainly I am just curious about the plan.

Someone earlier asked when it was time to panic. I'd say wait until the first game of the regular season. If we don't have a viable Oline by then, it will be a problem.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Curious ... if we don't fill those spots thru FA, trading, or the draft, where should we apply ? Or are you suggesting we should just wrap it up, that the season is already over ?

That's exactly the point, where are we going to apply for lineman.
Obviously, I'm not suggesting we wrap up the season, I'm suggesting we get Blaylock and Barksdale signed so we can go back to looking at BPA on our draft boards.

Alan

Legend
Riverumbbq contemplating doing some procrastinating at some future date:
I won't panic until ... its time to panic.
Nothing wrong with indulging in a little panic now to get warmed up a little. It helps set the mood for later when can go into full fledged all out panic.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I concur with everyone's worries, But I trust in Snisher, and will be patient, no matter how NERVE RACKING it is!! ( at least until post-draft moves are made!!)

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Someone earlier asked when it was time to panic. I'd say wait until the first game of the regular season. If we don't have a viable Oline by then, it will be a problem.
I asked when... and, if it turns out ot be the first game, Fisher and Snead ought to be fired.

They get paid handsomely for getting ahead of the curve on needs... being in a position like that on day one is cause for dismissal IMHO.

V3

Hall of Fame
Please show me where I'm fine with being forced into anything, ... or being a Fisher homer ? We are where we are and i'm hoping for the best. In 3 years with 9 players being drafted in the first 3 rounds, the Rams have built an excellent young Defense and Special Teams unit while turning over nearly the entire roster. Yes, there have been some misses, mostly free agents, but this team is far better today than it was 3 years ago. jmo.
By the way, check out my post just prior to your reply.
Your post changes nothing, IMO. You're still taking OL with your first two picks(not sure how you're getting a second first round pick). What if someone like Cooper, White, etc falls to the Rams? If you take them one of them, the odds of finding rookies capable to starting immediately are very slim. Also, Mathis is old and has had injuries(totally ignoring the cap ramifications). Haven't the Rams learned from that by now?

I also never called you a Fisher homer. I said I'm tired of the excuses being made. Saying everything will be okay because they can just take three rookies in the draft or trade for an old/injury prone vet doesn't fly with me anymore. The Rams can't afford to have a mediocre O-line anymore. It nearly made Bradford retire from football and I don't hold much hope for Foles anymore....not with this O-line, at least.

My post isn't intended to be a shot at you. Not in the slightest. I'm just saying that I'm tired of the excuses being tossed out there(by many people) saying how we have all the time in the world left and any remaining problems can be fixed in the draft or FA. The way the Rams have gone about "fixing" the O-line has been a joke heretofore, and they've set themselves up to be forced into taking a position instead of the best player because they're backed into a corner. That's not how you build winning teams.

V3

Hall of Fame
But I trust in Snisher

Why, especially with regards to the building of the O-line? They haven't even been able to get above .500. They deserve to be questioned at this point in their tenure.

People love to say their sub-par record is because Bradford kept getting hurt. Well, what was part of the reason he kept getting hurt? It's because they failed to build a competent O-line that could protect him.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why, especially with regards to the building of the O-line? They haven't even been able to get above .500. They deserve to be questioned at this point in their tenure.

People love to say their sub-par record is because Bradford kept getting hurt. Well, what was part of the reason he kept getting hurt? It's because they failed to build a competent O-line that could protect him.

His first knee injury was on a questionable hit as he went out of bounds. Could happen with the best line in NFL history. The second knee injury was when it was breathed on wrong.

There have definitely been line problems - major ones - but it's dubious to put Bradford's knee injuries on them.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
lol "lack of urgency is alarming."

They'll find the players they deem that fit the best and if they are available.

They aren't gonna rush to satisfy writers and internet bloggers on bleacherreport or w/e.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Your post changes nothing, IMO. You're still taking OL with your first two picks(not sure how you're getting a second first round pick). What if someone like Cooper, White, etc falls to the Rams? If you take them one of them, the odds of finding rookies capable to starting immediately are very slim. Also, Mathis is old and has had injuries(totally ignoring the cap ramifications). Haven't the Rams learned from that by now?

I also never called you a Fisher homer. I said I'm tired of the excuses being made. Saying everything will be okay because they can just take three rookies in the draft or trade for an old/injury prone vet doesn't fly with me anymore. The Rams can't afford to have a mediocre O-line anymore. It nearly made Bradford retire from football and I don't hold much hope for Foles anymore....not with this O-line, at least.

My post isn't intended to be a shot at you. Not in the slightest. I'm just saying that I'm tired of the excuses being tossed out there(by many people) saying how we have all the time in the world left and any remaining problems can be fixed in the draft or FA. The way the Rams have gone about "fixing" the O-line has been a joke heretofore, and they've set themselves up to be forced into taking a position instead of the best player because they're backed into a corner. That's not how you build winning teams.

Pretty obvious with the draft presented, ... a trade down and a trade back up with the two 2'nds you would now have. As far as CAP, least of my worries when after the draft we should have something better than $5.mil on hand plus an ability to still restructure a contract or two. This also discounts our own potential CAP casualty cuts between the draft and the beginning of the season.

I never said 'everything' will be OK, I can't make a judgment like that until we are well into the new season. Mathis would become a stop gap at LG, just as Barksdale would become a stop-gap at RT, and Barnes/Jones a potential stop-gap at Center. All three of these players would become solid depth when the rookies are prepared to move into the line-up. Mathis is a Pro-Bowler who could be an ideal fit between Robinson & whoever happens to become the new Center.

I can't worry about what got us to the point we are at now, that's history, but I can, like others here, offer what I believe may be a solution. Some like to fix blame, I prefer to fix the problem.
jmo.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
ah-ahahahahahahahahah! when is the correct time to panic? Sounds like a question for the Titanic...At least we didn't grab some beat up, or never was FA's...Seriously....I don't care if we never sign another one...I'd rather start 5 rookies than go FA route...
I hope we do it right, but it seems a couple players here and there and the need wouldn't be nearly as great. Perhaps the Snisher feel the 2015 draft for OL is a rich as the 2014 draft for wr...still wonder why we didn't get one wr last year...or one more lineman?
Freak it, we've gone this far.

Alvin Dupree!!
Bud Dupree is a stud player...Nothing against Long, but he'd really be nice...

this team is far better today than it was 3 years ago. jmo.
Not just your opinion, any real fan..that has seen the rise and fall, should be able to notice how close we really are to being a really good team....It's probably why there is so much frustration about the o-line...People feel Snisher knows how to really fix this, but they haven't...the real question is, WHY?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Not just your opinion, any real fan..that has seen the rise and fall, should be able to notice how close we really are to being a really good team....It's probably why there is so much frustration about the o-line...People feel Snisher knows how to really fix this, but they haven't...the real question is, WHY?

The only way I can answer this is because Fisher has only had 9 picks in the first 3 rounds of his 3 year tenure, and he has turned over nearly an entire roster in that time frame. He's a defensive minded coach who has pushed most of his top picks towards correcting the D first, and imo he's done a fine job of it, ... same with Special Teams.
I would agree that it's now past time to give the Offense the same degree of thoughtfulness, especially the OL.
jmo.