Silva: Rams Lack of Urgency on O-Line Amazing/Alarming

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Evan Silva ‏@evansilva

Lack of urgency by #Rams to put capable starters on their O-Line is pretty amazing/alarming. Easily NFL's worst OL on paper pre-draft.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I can't like this sentiment enough. Not as in like it, agree with it. I hope their master plan works.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
From the outside looking in, it's easy to see it like that but obviously we don't have all the info. No way the Rams feel they still need to pick up three starters for their OL. They must feel pretty strongly that they already have one of those starters on the roster. They obviously plan on drafting one and must feel pretty confident they can land one with one of their first two picks. I think the biggest gamble is the FA situation. I think they are rolling the dice a bit on getting someone like Barksdale or Blalock at a bargain price by waiting, most likely, after or during the draft.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Well. Could it really get much worse?
The injuries last year were tough. It killed us.
The organization knows how bad it was. It's not a big secret.

I'm very pleased they didn't over pay for wiz. I'm pleased they're not going to overpay for Joe.

I'm in the Barksdale camp, but he still has some faults.

I'm very confident that our oline will be better than last years week 16 line up.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think what concerns me is not only filling the starting roles, but having suitable depth.

God forbid Saffold or Robinson gets hurt.

Just getting to 5 starters isn't good enough.

This team has taken building the defensive line so seriously, but the offensive line is almost shuffled aside as insignificant. (I am exaggerating, but the effort applied to each has not been equal - and the proof is evident in our current situation)

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
CGI_Ram summing it up nicely:
I think what concerns me is not only filling the starting roles, but having suitable depth.

This team has taken building the defensive line so seriously, but the offensive line is almost shuffled aside as insignificant. (I am exaggerating, but the effort applied to each has not been equal - and the proof is evident in our current situation)
Well said CGI.

While this might be true: "I'm very confident that our oline will be better than last years week 16 line up.", is merely being better than last year (extremely low bar) enough to get us to the next level?

Baffling.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Evan Silva ‏@evansilva

Lack of urgency by #Rams to put capable starters on their O-Line is pretty amazing/alarming. Easily NFL's worst OL on paper pre-draft.

Couldn't agree more! The O line will be this year's excuse for not making the playoffs.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Wait, ... did I sleep thru the draft, the second phase of free agency and all our potential trade options, again ?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Evan Silva ‏@evansilva

It is alarming. I also don't get the lack of urgency here.

The one thing I will say is that some of our Olinemen were so bad last year (I'm looking at you Davin Joseph) that pretty much anyone could reproduce their production. If we sign Barksdale I'll feel a little bit better about it

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Wait, ... did I sleep thru the draft, the second phase of free agency and all our potential trade options, again ?

No you didn't sleep thru them. Although believing that the draft and the scrub round of FA is going to yield 3 starters and decent depth would mean you're dreaming.:)

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
No you didn't sleep thru them. Although believing that the draft and the scrub round of FA is going to yield 3 starters and decent depth would mean you're dreaming.:)
Curious ... if we don't fill those spots thru FA, trading, or the draft, where should we apply ? Or are you suggesting we should just wrap it up, that the season is already over ?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I have a feeling we're going to sign Barksdale and Blalock, that or we really love Barrett Jones or Demetrius Rhaney, because I just can't see them neglecting the OL this much. Even if the draft goes perfect we almost certainly can't fix the OL with both starters and depth.

BadCompany

Rookie
Maybe they'll draft offensive linemen with every single pick we have. Wouldn't that be another way to steal some draft-day press?

Memphis Ram

Legend

Wow. How long have you been asleep? The season starts tomorrow and the Rams are toast. The early off-season award winners will fill the playoffs once again this season.

oh_noes.gif

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

Well stated sir. I award you 1,000,000 internetz.

"Coach Fisher, I have Alex Barron on line 1........Jason Smith on Lines 2 and 3."

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Well. Could it really get much worse?
The injuries last year were tough. It killed us.
The organization knows how bad it was. It's not a big secret.

I'm very pleased they didn't over pay for wiz. I'm pleased they're not going to overpay for Joe.

I'm in the Barksdale camp, but he still has some faults.

I'm very confident that our oline will be better than last years week 16 line up.
Wiz didn't get paid shit tho. either the Rams didn't care for him or he didn't care for the Rams. and it really couldnt get much worse than last year lol. or could it...

FRO

Legend
I have a lot of faith in Fisher and Snead, but their track record on building an offensive line has been lackluster. Hope they right the ship this offseason.

What I would have like to see is some veteran placeholders so we can go into the draft not being forced to draft for need.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Curious ... if we don't fill those spots thru FA, trading, or the draft, where should we apply ? Or are you suggesting we should just wrap it up, that the season is already over ?
The season isn't over... but it's awfully hard to win when you can't pass because your QB is running for his life every play and you can't run because the defense is in the backfield every play.

Just makes winning terribly difficult.

Plugging the open holes (both starters and depth) with rookies and second tier free agents is not a recipe for success, IMHO.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The season isn't over... but it's awfully hard to win when you can't pass because your QB is running for his life every play and you can't run because the defense is in the backfield every play.

Just makes winning terribly difficult.

Plugging the open holes (both starters and depth) with rookies and second tier free agents is not a recipe for success, IMHO.
I won't panic until ... its time to panic.