Reasons for WR at 19

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, because the word “reach” has a specific definition. It’s not just any whiffed pick.
lol.
It does have a definition.
However it’s entirely based on subjective opinion that fans think is factual.
I can’t believe this is an actual discussion.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Neither can I. Let’s leave it at that and move on. :sunglasses:
Give Me Five GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is subjective though. As it is referenced off your board as a team. So it still ends up being opinion i.e. who makes the best educated guess.

One thing is for sure though with the Rams and wideouts... They look for intelligence and work ethic. So any of these guys who are diva types are out.
Anybody picked before a fan wants him to have been picked is a reach. Doesn't matter that the teams board could have had him going 10 picks earlier :D Reach is the worst used and likely the most arrogantly used word by fans in draft season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And the scary thing is the fans are right sometimes. :laugh4:

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Is there any chance of McConkey making it to us in the second round?
Highly unlikely. If nothing else, Panthers are almost guaranteed to take the best WR left at 33. He would seem like a great fit with them.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
A year ago many experts thought we “reached” for Turner & Young. Now they’d go 1st round in a redraft.

Puka would go top 5-10 in a redraft. Less than a year after being a 5th round afterthought.

The draft is fun. But it’s not a science. It’s almost comical to look back on drafts and see the picks, comments, analysis, etc. Let alone the “mock drafts”.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Any player that doesn’t work out could be considered a reach by fan logic.
Well, remember some of the former picks the Rams made? I used keep track of my picks back in the Devanney days. After a few years, I had built a better roster. I know that isn’t saying much, considering who I who it was, but some GMs make some consistently bad choices, and Devanney was an NFL GM.

I also think most fans were right about Tutu. So, I always think there is merit in fan opinions. In the end, it doesn’t matter. But it’s fun to play GM and Scout.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing we have going for us is we don't have to deal with the players. So if you want to cut so-and-so you don't have to sit him down, look him in the eye, and do that. Or if a young player isn't developing we don't know what things he's dealing with that stand in the way of it, or we haven't invested time and effort in getting that light to turn on for him. Which in the end means we judge players purely off what we see on the field and that does have some value at times for it.

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
some GMs make some consistently bad choices
It makes me laugh when people reason that because someone is a highly-paid professional they must be good at their job.

In the US, you have the NFL and other sports to prove otherwise; over here, we have the Premier League.

And that’s without going into politics, business, etc.

Just because someone is paid to do something, doesn’t mean that they’re good at it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It makes me laugh when people reason that because someone is a highly-paid professional they must be good at their job.

In the US, you have the NFL and other sports to prove otherwise; over here, we have the Premier League.

Just because someone is paid to do something, doesn’t mean that they’re good at it.
I know that I had a few bosses that weren’t good at their jobs. They were making three times what I was, so they must have known what they were doing….right? :zany1:

Memphis Ram

Legend
I attended the same school. Logic would say if LT is there they take him above everything else. Then Edge. Then Corner. Certainly we would not get to WR. But you never know with the Rams. I think McVay may have that priority very high, especially if there is concern with Kupp.
With the #19th selection in the 2024 NFL Draft, the Los Angeles Rams select

View: https://youtu.be/8ChEadTSaUs?si=kOPZq3XeZcYySQoh

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

WestCoastRam

Legend

Totally true. I do think we have significantly less bone heads at GM than we did 20 years ago. Some of those guys, sheesh!

"Guy big, run fast 40, me drafty him in top 10 Me try fix everything in free agency"

Memphis Ram

Legend
I’d be happy with this pick. I’d like Q. Mitchell a bit better but he’s likely gone.

Right now it looks like it would be nearly impossible for any teams GM to screw up this years first round pick. But, I’m sure someone will. I pray that it’s not Les.
Right now, it's just hard to come up with a better player that I'm almost sure will be on the board at #19.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd

lol! You stole my line!
I always say, “just because they pay you to do a job it doesn’t mean you’re good at it.”

I usually use the set up:
Have you ever had your car worked on and it still doesn’t run right?
Have you ever gone out to dinner and the food was lousy?
Have you ever seen a movie and thought it sucked?
…THAT’S when you hit ‘em with that line—hopefully an overpaid, dick nose manager.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With the #19th selection in the 2024 NFL Draft, the Los Angeles Rams select

View: https://youtu.be/8ChEadTSaUs?si=kOPZq3XeZcYySQoh

I'd be fine with that. Prefer LT > Edge > Corner > WR in that order all things equal but what matters is hitting on the pick more than anything else. This team needs difference makers to take that next step. It's obviously not hard to get to the playoffs with a coach like McVay, but taking that next step to a contender that has a good chance of winning it all will require some top level additions.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Because NFL teams nail every pick. Amirite?
It's not really a matter of whether or not teams nail every pick when it comes to "reaching."

It's just that no one has access to the 32 different draft board (opinions) that matter to be completely sure whether a media consensus top rated player would be available at a later selection.