Reasons for WR at 19

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
WTH are you talking about? Avila only worked out "to some degree?"
Dude is a freakin STUD, no matter what PFF thinks.
You may have misunderstood or I was vague. 2 of 10 worked out "to some degree". Noteboom as a backup and Avila as a stud. :biggrin:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Gee. I don't think so. Franklin looks like a taller Tutu to me.
Him and Tutu are two completely different animals. Tutu falls down if someone breathes on him. That's like comparing a reindeer to a rabbit.

Franklin has length and catch radius on the perimeter. He has real juice. He isn't shy underneath either, he will catch and convert chains. In fact given the way the Ducks worked the underneath there is extensive film of him doing that. He checks a lot of boxes that accentuate our offense, shit we need.

These are game highlights, not as good as cutups but at least it's one game:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga-4LPqGKM0

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ju61z8SwEQ

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I vote Legette if we can't get Coleman. He's fast and physical. Also Stafford has typically done well with the bigger WRs.
Legette's upside is serious. I've cooled on him a bit due to the way he talks though, kind of strikes me as a SF type player. But I'd be happy with him round 2 and take a stud corner or edge or LT early.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would imagine Rams would want him to run a ton of digs which is a huge staple of this offense (an intermediate throw that's been around since McVay was in Washington!).
I'll bet you're fun at parties.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I still can't get past the 165 lbs. That is Tutu weight at 2" taller, which makes him even skinnier. I'd say his size is the entire reason he hasn't worked out for us. As a rookie he got tossed around like a rag doll and was out the rest of the season. The coaches saw that and have only used him sparsely since then. I'm not on board with repeating that process when its still so fresh and we have a little skinny guy still on our team already
I compare it to Desean Jackson. Jackson was around a similar weight and frame at an older age (5'9", 169 lbs., twenty-two years old, compared to Worthy being 5'11", 165 lbs. and he won't turn twenty-one until late April).

Wouldn't you take a faster, younger, more head-on-straight version of Desean Jackson?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have been at parties with him ... Not so much.
Me either. Probably looks something like...

giphy.gif

WestCoastRam

Legend
Might I suggest we all do a lil psychedelics together at some point?

Free your mind and your Rams opinions will follow.

It's just a message board.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Him and Tutu are two completely different animals. Tutu falls down if someone breathes on him. That's like comparing a reindeer to a rabbit.

Franklin has length and catch radius on the perimeter. He has real juice. He isn't shy underneath either, he will catch and convert chains. In fact given the way the Ducks worked the underneath there is extensive film of him doing that. He checks a lot of boxes that accentuate our offense, shit we need.

These are game highlights, not as good as cutups but at least it's one game:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga-4LPqGKM0

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ju61z8SwEQ

He looked great when he got a free release off the line of scrimmage, but I really didn't see much of anything a taller and slightly bigger Tutu Atwell couldn't do. I wonder what he'll do when he's in bump and run coverage vs. NFL corners.

Will he get bumped off his routes from time to time? If the WRs are supposed to be somewhat interchangeable, who is he blocking? I even saw somewhere he had 9 dropped passes last year. He's a fine player, but to be honest, I'm not completely convinced he was the best WR on his team when I watched his games. And while it was the underwear Olympics, that gauntlet drill at the combine was one of the worst I've seen.

Last edited:

dang

Legend
Id love a bigger more physical presence like Legette or Coleman if Thomas Jr and Mitchell are gone.

View: https://youtu.be/gr-P2jxfD4k?si=F87UxTP5LjdioH0L

Highlights are always impressive. Legette’s make it look like he scored 40 TDs in his career but he only had 16 and was only a factor his senior year I must admit His high point and acceleration look elite so I would trust the Rams if they saw fit to draft him. The question is where. Wouldn’t want the R1.19 used for him but surely gone by R2.52.

MachS

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I vote Legette if we can't get Coleman. He's fast and physical. Also Stafford has typically done well with the bigger WRs.
Bingo. Stafford loves big, physical targets man. Why is the fucking draft still 2 months away....

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Highlights are always impressive. Legette’s make it look like he scored 40 TDs in his career but he only had 16 and was only a factor his senior year I must admit His high point and acceleration look elite so I would trust the Rams if they saw fit to draft him. The question is where. Wouldn’t want the R1.19 used for him but surely gone by R2.52.

Legette's problem is that he's never had more than thirty receptions until this year. He's not a finished product at all, definitely not a solid enough route runner to get separation.

The things I love are his hands (they're about as solid as it gets in this class, and every contested catch seems to go his way) and his sheer acceleration and YAC ability. He's a lot like Deebo, but bigger.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Legette's problem is that he's never had more than thirty receptions until this year. He's not a finished product at all, definitely not a solid enough route runner to get separation.

The things I love are his hands (they're about as solid as it gets in this class, and every contested catch seems to go his way) and his sheer acceleration and YAC ability. He's a lot like Deebo, but bigger.
If we draft him, I can see him and Puka running people over in the secondary. Talk about a physical passing game and YAC potential.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He looked great when he got a free release off the line of scrimmage, but I really didn't see much of anything a taller and slightly bigger Tutu Atwell couldn't do. I wonder what he'll do when he's in bump and run coverage vs. NFL corners.

Will he get bumped off his routes from time to time? Who is he blocking? I even saw somewhere he had 9 dropped passes last year. To be honest, I'm not completely convinced he was the best WR on his team when I watched his games. And while it was the underwear Olympics, that gauntlet drill at the combine was one of the worst I've seen.
Main thing I don't want is a diva. I think that would be like piss in the well with this WR group. So whoever it is as long as he is going to do the work and has the perimeter speed we require to juice this offense I'm fine with whoever they pick. If I was going to knock Franklin what I'd knock is how easily his catch focus can be disrupted by DBs. That works against some of his value which is the long frame and catch radius. But all these wideouts have weaknesses once you get past that top three.

What the Rams will be looking at are the options who bring deep threat and who have some size to them. So outside that top three the options are guys like Thomas, Franklin, Mitchell. I think Coleman lacks the juice for the early range. McConkey, Burton and Wilson lack length for 19. I mean they'd probably be fine with a guy who is six foot after a trade down but if you have options with similar traits that bring the length and he's gonna be in that X role then that length is something you'll favor.

The guys who we are looking at round 2-3 are quite a bit less polished as route runners, or have a size or speed deficiency compared to those top options. But back to Franklin he's got the key things I expect them to want in a wideout. Those things being size, length, and enough polish to plug in day one in that X role. But hey maybe I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time nor will it be the last.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Id love a bigger more physical presence like Legette or Coleman if Thomas Jr and Mitchell are gone.

View: https://youtu.be/gr-P2jxfD4k?si=F87UxTP5LjdioH0L

I would take that guy, beast like. I have always been a little jealous of Seattle with their freak like WR and Pittsburgh has a WR like that too. What Stafford could do with him and Puka and Co along with our fine O line (the most important unit on a football team) and stud RB could be a thing of beauty.
That said at 19 its simply about taking the best football player that falls to 19. One or two will fall as teams in front reach which is NEVER a good thing. Even if its not a great "need", take the best football player. If it fits a need, fine but not required.
Now it looks like Snead and McVay are onto something about drafting NFL worthy players. This last draft did not seem like a fluke. All the players that seemed to overplay their draft status did not do it with smoke and mirrors. They are legit.
Now, that lousy "music" in that video. WOW it is horrible. If half the guys hanging out on a street corner could "sing"(they could) like that with auto tune, over dubbing and production is it actually music ? Almost as bad as "mumble rap".
Sing people, its really hard to do and so is in playing a guitar. Talent is not common.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Main thing I don't want is a diva. I think that would be like piss in the well with this WR group. So whoever it is as long as he is going to do the work and has the perimeter speed we require to juice this offense I'm fine with whoever they pick. If I was going to knock Franklin what I'd knock is how easily his catch focus can be disrupted by DBs. That works against some of his value which is the long frame and catch radius. But all these wideouts have weaknesses once you get past that top three.

What the Rams will be looking at are the options who bring deep threat and who have some size to them. So outside that top three the options are guys like Thomas, Franklin, Mitchell. I think Coleman lacks the juice for the early range. McConkey, Burton and Wilson lack length for 19. I mean they'd probably be fine with a guy who is six foot after a trade down but if you have options with similar traits that bring the length and he's gonna be in that X role then that length is something you'll favor.

The guys who we are looking at round 2-3 are quite a bit less polished as route runners, or have a size or speed deficiency compared to those top options. But back to Franklin he's got the key things I expect them to want in a wideout. Those things being size, length, and enough polish to plug in day one in that X role. But hey maybe I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time nor will it be the last.
I could be wrong, too. But, unless one of the big three falls into their laps and/or Cooper Kupp is done and we don't know it yet, I don't think the Rams in the WR business at #19.

And my judgement could be clouded because I go to the Bill Parcells Bigger is Better School.
Tavon Austin, Tutu Atwell. Lamarcus Joyner on defense. Enough. Especially in the early rounds.

Last edited:

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I could be wrong, too. But, unless one of the big three falls into their laps and/or Cooper Kupp is done and we don't know it yet, I don't think the Rams in the WR business at #19.

And my judgement could be clouded because I go to the Bill Parcells Bigger is Better School.
Tavon Austin, Tutu Atwell. Lamarcus Joyner on defense. Enough. Especially in the early rounds.
I don't think the Rams go after a WR at 19 either but since FA hasn't started yet, we just don't know what they are planning. When I said I'd go for Legette, definitely didn't mean at 19 tho :laugh1: