Reasons for WR at 19

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Okay. I did some research on Brian Thomas. I loved his highlight film, but I don’t think he’s versatile enough for the Rams. He’s a go route type of receiver. He’s got a great speed/height combination, but he’s had some drops and the key for me was his route running at the combine. He looks fantastic running straight but he was awkward running any other routes, especially crossers. I don’t think McVay would want a one trick pony. I understand McVay loving Odunze. He is a complete receiver. I don’t think the Rams would ever be able to reach him though.

So I rescind my take on Thomas. He’s not a first rounder in my book. The Rams got Chris Givens in the 4th years ago didn’t they?
I've been working through them too. Thomas would be fed on deep outs and posts all day long by Stafford. But if the rumors are to be believed he is gone before we pick anyway.

As of this moment I think the wideout they are sweet on is Franklin. Suspect he is in their hot group for 19.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
It is really about available talent and fit at 19. If we go WR I think that would indicate that our top targets are gone already. It's going to be interesting.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've been working through them too. Thomas would be fed on deep outs and posts all day long by Stafford. But if the rumors are to be believed he is gone before we pick anyway.

As of this moment I think the wideout they are sweet on is Franklin. Suspect he is in their hot group for 19.
Think I'd prefer Mitchell over the skinny Franklin.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Gee. I don't think so. Franklin looks like a taller Tutu to me.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
All I can say is WR, C, OT, Edge, CB, TE, DT in the first round aside, this is going to be one enjoyable draft to watch. I wish there was a bar we could all meet at to watch. Everybody pick a position. Losers buy rounds. And since there are going to be many losers, that's a lot of free beer!!!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I was watching, and reading about him this morning. He is a great athlete, but he struggles with corners getting physical with him, especially off the line. I’d see that it might be a negative for the Rams because they value blocking skills with receivers.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
WR at #19? Boy that would be a shocker. You know how some teams can't draft well at certain positions? What position is that for the Rams? WR? No, they drafted some studs and other pretty good WRs. Kupp in the 3rd. Puka in the 5th. Reynolds in the 4th. Two positions are their blind spot. OL and CB. They've drafted 10 OL since McVay arrived. Two have worked out to some degree. Avila (#36) and Noteboom (#89). The other 8 were drafted in the 90's or later. And not one has produced well. Edwards held down LG for a while but he was a turnstile at times. And then concussion issues arrived. They've drafted 5 CBs and only 1 higher than 130 (Long at #79 and he wasn't good). My point is, draft OL high and there's a better chance for success. CB? They've yet to have success though there are 3 still with the team so they have a chance to succeed. But their best CBs were acquired via trade. Sign a CB or trade for one, draft OL early. I hope they take an OL at #19 or trade down and take one in the 20's.
WTH are you talking about? Avila only worked out "to some degree?"
Dude is a freakin STUD, no matter what PFF thinks.

WestCoastRam

Legend

I would imagine Rams would want him to run a ton of digs which is a huge staple of this offense (an intermediate throw that's been around since McVay was in Washington!).

WestCoastRam

Legend
I was watching, and reading about him this morning. He is a great athlete, but he struggles with corners getting physical with him, especially off the line. I’d see that it might be a negative for the Rams because they value blocking skills with receivers.
I like this guy from what I've seen but if we go WR, I want a pass catcher with skills we don't have on the roster and don't want to duplicate what we already have. I want a big X receiver with size, speed, and catch radius or most of these things.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like this guy from what I've seen but if we go WR, I want a pass catcher with skills we don't have on the roster and don't want to duplicate what we already have. I want a big X receiver with size, speed, and catch radius or most of these things.
As deep as this wide receiver crop is, after the big three they all have warts. With Kupp playing mostly from the slot, McConkey isn’t likely to be a Ram, even though he’s able to play outside. But he can block.

I’ve seen Pearsall rated as low as 4th round. But I agree that it seems a true field stretcher would be a nice compliment. I don’t know if McVay does. But we all know that Stafford historically has had some taller receivers. The Rams interest in Mike Evans would indicate that maybe they are thinking the same as you. If they took one early I’d lean AD Mitchell. In round 2 maybe Leggette.

But there are a lot of options in middle rounds.

WestCoastRam

Legend
As deep as this wide receiver crop is, after the big three they all have warts. With Kupp playing mostly from the slot, McConkey isn’t likely to be a Ram, even though he’s able to play outside. But he can block.

I’ve seen Pearsall rated as low as 4th round. But I agree that it seems a true field stretcher would be a nice compliment. I don’t know if McVay does. But we all know that Stafford historically has had some taller receivers. The Rams interest in Mike Evans would indicate that maybe they are thinking the same as you. If they took one early I’d lean AD Mitchell. In round 2 maybe Leggette.

But there are a lot of options in middle rounds.
Lots to like about AD. Think he probably goes around our pick or right after us.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The one unknown for a lot of these guys is character/leadership/love for football, for us fans.

From what McVay said a few months ago, and the success of the last draft, I think that they will continue to scrutinize that part of it. So who knows how that turns out.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Again not a first round pick, and we see the results. But that could also be due to the fact the Rams didn’t have a first round pick, so this year, if the Rams keep the pick, will be a mystery.
Who has McVay drafted with a first round pick? Whether it be the 2nd round or 3rd, whatever player was taken first was McVay's top choice

Edit- McVay did in fact trade a 1st rounder for Brandin Cooks, and a 2nd round pick with a good player for Sammy Watkins

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who has McVay drafted with a first round pick? Whether it be the 2nd round or 3rd, whatever player was taken first was McVay's top choice
It's not a good argument.

2017 first 2 picks are a TE and a RB
2018 first 2 picks a T and a C
2019 We have our first D player in Rapp followed by a RB, CB and T
2020 first 2 picks a RB and WR
2021 a WR and ILB
2022 an OG/OT
2023 Avilla

So every year but 1 McVay's first pick has been on offense with most years the first 2.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion

Lord I hope not. I'd have Franklin just barely in my top 10 of WR's, behind the big 3, McConkey, AD, Coleman, Thomas, etc. Not a big fan of him. Rail thin and not very special at anything but deep balls.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not a good argument.

2017 first 2 picks are a TE and a RB
2018 first 2 picks a T and a C
2019 We have our first D player in Rapp followed by a RB, CB and T
2020 first 2 picks a RB and WR
2021 a WR and ILB
2022 an OG/OT
2023 Avilla

So every year but 1 McVay's first pick has been on offense with most years the first 2.
Yup. In 7 seasons, McVay has used 1- 1st rounder and 3- 2nd rounders to acquire WR
And while the best WR currently on the team were not in that group, it surely doesnt mean that's the only aisle he'll shop in