Ranking the Star Trek Captains

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How about ship's doctor/medical officer?

I have Bashir narrowly ahead of McCoy for the top spot.
I'd rank thusly:

5. Phlox (severe downgrade by being a huge part of the mess that was Dear Doctor and basically developing a cure for an entire species, then telling them they couldn't have it because evolution wants them to die.)

4. Bashir (good doctor, but could be very annoying.)

3. Crusher (Pulaski would have been about 47th or so thanks to her rampant bigotry towards Data. It was better when McCoy did it to Spock because Spock gave it right back. Pulaski just looked like a bully.)

2. The Doctor (singlehandedly kept Voyager going until the show got good.)

1. McCoy (The original and best. It is spooky how much Karl Urban sounds so much like DeForest Kelley in the role.)

Mike was better?
C'mon man.

Nelson might be the better writer, but no way he was better onscreen than Joel.
Did you know Joel's gone on record that if Mike had been there in the beginning, Mike would have been the host from Day 1?

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I'd rank thusly:

5. Phlox (severe downgrade by being a huge part of the mess that was Dear Doctor and basically developing a cure for an entire species, then telling them they couldn't have it because evolution wants them to die.)

4. Bashir (good doctor, but could be very annoying.)

3. Crusher (Pulaski would have been about 47th or so thanks to her rampant bigotry towards Data. It was better when McCoy did it to Spock because Spock gave it right back. Pulaski just looked like a bully.)

2. The Doctor (singlehandedly kept Voyager going until the show got good.)

1. McCoy (The original and best. It is spooky how much Karl Urban sounds so much like DeForest Kelley in the role.)

Did you know Joel's gone on record that if Mike had been there in the beginning, Mike would have been the host from Day 1?

Well, then Joel's thinking is just wrong. :)
Mike was good, I just like Joel a bit more.

I didn't watch the entire run of Voyager, so I guess I missed when it got good.

What I like about Bashir is that if he wanted to he could basically be Kahn and take down everybody, but he chooses to be a good guy. I just find his character more interesting than Crusher, although I like her as well.

McCoy of course is the gold standard

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Picard/Sisko! McCoy/Basir! Loved TNG and Deep Space 9! Watched TOS when it was new and loved it. The writing and characters were lots better in the later series is why they get my vote!

RamzFanz

Damnit
Hell Picard is part Android now... He'd kick Kirk's ass in a fight hands down! Plus his voice is way cooler!

But Picard didn't sing Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds so that negates the voice advantage.

Picard sure couldn't have pulled this shit off:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The moves...
200.gif

200.gif

200.gif

200.gif

200.gif

grease

Picard over Kirk
Original over next generation

Doesn't everyone know this?

No, because Janeway has more balls than Picard and a smidgeon less than Kirk. Sisko doesn't count since DS9 was an Applebee's/Motel 6 in space.

1. Kirk
2. Janeway
3. Archer
4. Cue Ball

Boffo97

Name
Dave
No, because Janeway has more balls than Picard and a smidgeon less than Kirk. Sisko doesn't count since DS9 was an Applebee's/Motel 6 in space.

1. Kirk
2. Janeway
3. Archer
4. Cue Ball
Sisko did get the Defiant (and a promotion to Captain, which puts off another possible "doesn't count" reason) later.

grease

Sisko did get the Defiant (and a promotion to Captain, which puts off another possible "doesn't count" reason) later.

OK but ranking the restauranteur/hotelier above any of the other captains exploring the unknown makes little sense to me.

bluecoconuts

Legend

1. Kirk
2. Janeway
3. Archer
4. Cue Ball

Janeway? She got her ship lost for 3 years on a routine mission, no way she's that high, she's one of the worst. Archer wasn't even qualified to sit in the chair.

grease

Janeway? She got her ship lost for 3 years on a routine mission, no way she's that high, she's one of the worst. Archer wasn't even qualified to sit in the chair.

Yes, Janeway. Shit happens and she kicked ass throughout the Delta Quadrant. Archer was a fair degree of nepotism or legacy due to his father building the warp engines but even he kicked ass when confronted with the Xindi.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
OK but ranking the restauranteur/hotelier above any of the other captains exploring the unknown makes little sense to me.
It isn't like he was Quark, or that DS9 was Disneyland. It was the Outpost guarding a door to the unknown.

And the first bastion of defense when the Dominion started coming through.

grease

It isn't like he was Quark, or that DS9 was Disneyland. It was the Outpost guarding a door to the unknown.

And the first bastion of defense when the Dominion started coming through.

He sat on his ass waiting for something to happen while ordering swizzel sticks and bath towels. A glorified doorman/alarm system at best.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Here's the true list:
1. Picard

2. Everyone else is tied for last place

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yes, Janeway. crap happens and she kicked ass throughout the Delta Quadrant. Archer was a fair degree of nepotism or legacy due to his father building the warp engines but even he kicked ass when confronted with the Xindi.

A few instances doesn't just make for a great captain. A good captain doesn't get lost in the first place, and then get people killed as they stop every 5 minutes to look at new things, all while making erratic commands. Good captains are consistent with their methods.

grease

A few instances doesn't just make for a great captain. A good captain doesn't get lost in the first place, and then get people killed as they stop every 5 minutes to look at new things, all while making erratic commands. Good captains are consistent with their methods.

Janeway was great rather than good. Ship and crew were returned from the vast unknown which required unique command choices and restraint.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Janeway was great rather than good. Ship and crew were returned from the vast unknown which required unique command choices and restraint.
I do wonder if Janeway's getting home forced the reboot. Had we had any new shows set in the TNG/DS9/Voy era, the Delta Quadrant tech that Janeway brought home with her probably would have really changed the setting.

That's possibly why she got a promotion instead of a court martial for all those Prime Directive violations when she got back. ;)

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
C'mon guys. Kirk was a cowboy; Picard a diplomat.

Janeway was the closest any the Star Trek captains came to an NFL HC. She brought in FA: Neelix, Kes, 7 of 9. She started with an expansion crew, bringing in Maquis members to fill out the roster. Plus, she was dealing with an absentee owner.

Technically, Voyager was lost for 7 years.

Btw, just forget the first 2 seasons. That was all about figuring out the dynamic and weeding out the traitors. By the end of season 3, the show--and Janeway--was transformed.