Rank the GM's...Do you agree with Les?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Is Les the 23rd ranked GM in YOUR opinion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Who besides Quinn, Long, Bradford, JL, and Saffold?

Brad Poppinga? Tye Hill? klopfenstein? Fendi Odobun?
Just curious......

Calling that trade a no brainer is only cause it was such an overwhelmingly great trade - especially with 20/20 hindsight. But if you recall aT the time many thought the Skins got the better of the trade - RG3 after his rookie year was considered the second coming

Steven Jackson, Brandon Lloyd, Lance Kendricks would also make the list. No one is saying it was filled with talent, that is clear by how many guys are out of the league now...but the team did not have ZERO talent....

Yeah there wer some talking heads that thought the rams shoulda kept RG3 and traded SB, but most of them were saying that you had more value form RG3+picks from SB than with just picks from RG3. I know of very few that really thought (and yes you can always find a few, that why I do not say no one) RG3 for those picks wasn't per win....teh question was more if the Redskins had any win from it (and his first eyar it looked like it).

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My thoughts on how he's helped build the roster:
Free Agents
Wells - not a good move
Long - OK, but couldn't stay healthy... not a good move
Cook - "good" player, but hasn't differentiated himself yet. What irks me is the money we are paying him. I think he's overpaid (not his fault)
Dunbar - was good when they acquired him but once that PED thing came to light, his play tailed off. Not a good move
Langford - good move for what was expected (depth)
Finnegan - bad move, we barely got anything from him and then he was gone
Williams (Chris) - bad move
Hill - bad move
Britt - I'm going to defer judgement until I see what he can do with this new offense
Joseph - bad move
Hayes - good move
Barksdale - neutral (but gone now)
Carrington - bad move, really didn't do much for us
I may have missed one or two... but, overall, I'd say his ranking on free agents would place him in the bottom quarter of all GMs.

Drafts
Brockers - good pick
Quick - I'm going to defer judgement until I see how he makes it out of his serious injury. Up until that small sample last year, I would have classified the pick as bad
Jenkins - Neutral - I'll give him one more year to become the consistent shut down corner (he thinks he is)
Pead - bad pick, I'm going out there and say he won't make it
Johnson - good pick
Givens - bad pick
Watkins - bad pick
Zuerline - good pick
Austin - Neutral, I'll give him this year to see if he can thrive in the new offense
Ogletree - good pick, but needs to start strong for once
McDonald - good pick
Bailey - good pick (I think)
Jones - neutral, this is the year... last chance
McGee - bad pick
Hekker - good pick/move

I'm going to defer judgement on all the 2014 class because it's really too early... except Donald. I think he's already shown he can be an impact player at the NFL level.

So.... looking at it all, as I type this? I'd say 23rd is at least close to where his ranking belongs.

A LOT depends on how some of these youngsters play this year, especially that first draft class... I'm talking Jenkins, Johnson, Quick (coming off the injury), maybe Pead (although I don't hold out much hope for him). I think Givens is toast.

But guys like Austin and Bailey also need to emerge and make names for themselves.

Like I said, I think the ranking is fair (or close to fair) but can improve dramatically if some of the draft picks kick it up a notch and guys like Cook and Britt come on strong.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Free Agents
Wells - not a good move
Cook - "good" player, but hasn't differentiated himself yet. What irks me is the money we are paying him. I think he's overpaid (not his fault)
Dunbar - was good when they acquired him but once that PED thing came to light, his play tailed off. Not a good move
Hill - bad move
Britt - I'm going to defer judgement until I see what he can do with this new offense
Joseph - bad move
Hayes - good move
I may have missed one or two... but, overall, I'd say his ranking on free agents would place him in the bottom quarter of all GMs.

Drafts
Brockers - good pick
Quick - I'm going to defer judgement until I see how he makes it out of his serious injury. Up until that small sample last year, I would have classified the pick as bad
Jenkins - Neutral - I'll give him one more year to become the consistent shut down corner (he thinks he is)
Johnson - good pick
Givens - bad pick
Watkins - bad pick
Zuerline - good pick
Austin - Neutral, I'll give him this year to see if he can thrive in the new offense
McDonald - good pick
McGee - bad pick
Hekker - good pick/move

I'm going to defer judgement on all the 2014 class because it's really too early... except Donald. I think he's already shown he can be an impact player at the NFL level.

So.... looking at it all, as I type this? I'd say 23rd is at least close to where his ranking belongs.

A LOT depends on how some of these youngsters play this year, especially that first draft class... I'm talking Jenkins, Johnson, Quick (coming off the injury), maybe Pead (although I don't hold out much hope for him). I think Givens is toast.

But guys like Austin and Bailey also need to emerge and make names for themselves.

Like I said, I think the ranking is fair (or close to fair) but can improve dramatically if some of the draft picks kick it up a notch and guys like Cook and Britt come on strong.

No offense, but your judgement on some of this is redonk. Dunbar a bad move? He played very well for us and still contributes. Not likes he's paid a whole lot. Carrington didn't do much but he also didn't play much. His expectations were very low. Wells and Long only didn't pan out because of injury. Not a person on earth can know that's gonna happen. Davin Joseph and Chris Williams only even played because others were injured. May not have been the best signings, but they were strictly cheap depth signings when there were no better options. Hill was not a bad move. He came in to be the backup. Sam got hurt. That's Sneads fault? Hill was one of the best backup QBs in the league. Typically backups are backups for a reason. When half the backups are forced into action because of injury, you can't be surprised when the team struggles. Snead essentially started from scratch.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Free Agents
Wells - not a good move
Hill - bad move
Joseph - bad move
Hayes - good move

Drafts
Brockers - good pick
Johnson - good pick
Givens - bad pick
Watkins - bad pick
Zuerline - good pick
McDonald - good pick
McGee - bad pick
Hekker - good pick/move

Gotta disagree, Rmfnit. Sorry.

You are quick to pan the marginal FA signings, but call the Britt bargain basement signing as too close to call and reserve judgement until you see how he fits in our "new" O. That's called bias where I come from.

And you conveniently omit the '14 draft other than the obvious Donald. Five starters, man!

And where is the love for Snead's late round and UDFA successes? There's probably at least a dozen on our 53.

And don't get me started on his RG3 and Foles trades. Both HR's, if you ask me.

I consider Snead our best talent evaluator since Klosterman. That goes back maybe 45 years. And I don't think it's all that close.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Some of you need to go back and look at the drafts, and offseason FA moves made by other GM's recently and over the years. I keep the Lindy, Sporting news etc magazines that are very interesting reads in hindsight .
I have every year dating back until around the late 90's.

Snead has turned over a bad roster using all methods available to an NFL GM. I'm not saying he should be top 10 or anything, but i think 23rd is a bit low. IMO Snead is still learning from his mistakes and is getting better each year. Even the so called "great" GM's make bad moves. I don't think the gap between a great GM and an average GM is very wide.