Rams will use franchise tag on either Johnson or Jenkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
With free agency approaching, Los Angeles Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins has reportedly fired his agent, according to Bleacher Report’s Jason Cole. Under NFL rules, Jenkins cannot hire another agent for five days and therefore Jenkins and the Rams will not negotiate during that time. How much will this impact the probability of Jenkins signing with another team? Will the Rams be able to sign Jenkins before the start of free agency? Bleacher Report NFL Insider Jason Cole discusses the Rams’ dilemma with Jenkins.

Watch Cole Talk Jenkins
200.gif

Ram65

Legend
Had to know it won't be easy. I think 45/5 is low. I think 50/5 would be good for both parties. Unfortunately, the Maxwell contract was for 6/63. Still up front and guaranteed money is important part too. Rams have a lot other talent on defense that will have to be paid too. Got to sign at least one. JJ getting 60/5 years would be good too.

jap

Legend
Had to know it won't be easy. I think 45/5 is low. I think 50/5 would be good for both parties. Unfortunately, the Maxwell contract was for 6/63. Still up front and guaranteed money is important part too. Rams have a lot other talent on defense that will have to be paid too. Got to sign at least one. JJ getting 60/5 years would be good too.

They're negotiating. The Horns will approach from the low end of a potential contract while Jenks and his agent will attack from the high end. Isn't that what we all do when negotiating a contract with a new employer?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Its clear Jenkins will take the highest bid. Are the Rams afraid to give it him because it might affect their ability to retain their top players down the road? Is he worth 10-12 mil a year? He's pretty good but far from the best at his position. So far he's not a pro bowler. But he wants pro bowler money. And Gaines, Joyner and Roberson are getting better. If I'm the Rams I'd up the offer to 5/50 but no more. If he rejects it, start making other plans for that position.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
If that reported offer is accurate, then I'm a little disappointed with Demoff.

I think a $10 million offer would have been more of a fair market price, given the new $155 million team cap. Might have at least drawn a counteroffer and the parties would now be negotiating and drawing closer. Now Jenkins has made an impetuous knee jerk agent decision and nobody can talk to each other except in the press. NEVER a good idea.

Meanwhile, if TruJo is tagged, he gets $14 million, doesn't he? That will only add fuel to JJ's irritation. Also not a good thing.

I dunno. Would hate to lose JJ over one million dollars a year.

Then again, maybe the Ram brain trust decided that the $45 million for 5 years was their line in the sand.

Kinda hints that they've received good news on Gaines' health? Or that they're pretty danged comfortable with drafting and developing an inexpensive shiny new CB?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's not like Jenkins is a top 5 corner. With Sneads ability to drafts CBs I would be okay with going into the season with Johnson, Gaines, Joyner, Roberson and a rookie. Which it looks like is going to happen.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Have a feeling JJ wont be a Ram next year. He is looking for the biggest pay day possible. Don't blame him for that really. Someone will pay big, they always do, and this is his big money contract. Even if Rams offer 50/5 some other team will pay 60/5 most likely cause some team always over pays for a player, just how FA works.

As Legatron pointed out, this regime has been on point with drafting cb's. Not worried if we lose JJ. We got Joyner, Gaines and Roberson and a potentially mid round CB from the draft.

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
I'd offer up the remainder of my birthday wishes for the next 1239283 years in hopes for the Rams to tag and trade JJ and then figure out a long term deal with Tru!!

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Jenks real value is probably right around that 9 million number. He has accomplished just as much as Vontae Davis when he signed a 9 million a year deal and he isn't better than Aqib Talib making 9.5 million. However when Tru and Norman get tagged Jenks will be the best Corner on the market with a starting price of at least 9.5 mil a year or more realistically 10.5 million a year.

If the rams dont think he is worth it and they have Tru under contract one way or another see ya later and lets go after Marvin Jones.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a question, guys. If our front four is talented, which I think most of us can agree is the case, and our linebacker play increased in blitz packages last year with Barron and Akers, doesn't that make the CB position stand out as being even more as a successful unit? Don't get me wrong. Both Johnson and Jenkins are talented corners, but doesn't Williams scheme, and the talent that we have promote more opportunities for corners to make higher impact plays on defense?

That being said, I guess my main question is, if we loose either Johnson or Jenkins, which one will make more of an impact on the team that they go to next.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Jenkins strikes me as the type of person that will take it personally if Tru was tagged and not him.So if they do tag Tru he might not budge and want top corner money.If Gaines is fully healed and JJ won't come back down to earth i say let him walk.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
We need to sign Tru like today so we can transition tag JJ - this seems like the best we can do under the circumstances - do you think? or is it the Franchise tag that gets us compensation?

image.jpg

Last edited:

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I think Tru getting the tag wont affect Jenks one bit he might actually prefer it because it means he doesn't get it. If Tru gets the tag Jenks can test the market and get a long term deal from the highest bidder way more security than the tag.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
When one thinks about it, Jenkins isn't exactly holding all the cards here. The Rams are.

Question is, does Jenkins realize that yet?
No. No he does not.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The more I think about this, the more bizarre it seems.

Firstly, JJ fires his agent of 4 years right when he needs him the most. Meanwhile depriving himself of representation as the tagging deadline passes. All over a tantrum resulting from a disappointing Ram offer. Really childish response.

Secondly, I've been thinking and I believe JJ has developed a greatly overinflated opinion of his worth.

Let's see...

Is he a top 5 CB? Top 7? Maybe top 10? ( I think we're getting a little warmer, now). Yet it seems like he wants to be paid as a top 5 overall CB.

Well, he's not even the top ranked CB in FA, frankly. Josh Norman and TruJo are both ranked ahead of him, I believe.

In fact, if Gaines and TruJo are both healthy, JJ may be the third ranked CB on his own team!

Let that sink in for just a moment...

Know what would be some poetic justice?

Jenkins winds up signing for just a couple hundred thousand more than the Rams would ultimately have offered. And on an also ran team that plays outdoors in a cold weather climate. Lol.

I hope Jenkins wises up, and soon. He's playing some seriously high stakes poker and the Rams are holding the better cards.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Tru getting the tag wont affect Jenks one bit he might actually prefer it because it means he doesn't get it. If Tru gets the tag Jenks can test the market and get a long term deal from the highest bidder way more security than the tag.

The tag is used as a bargaining tool. And a give the team time to work out a deal tool. You don't often see a player play under the tag much anymore. They usually have a deal worked out before the season starts.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
The tag is used as a bargaining tool. And a give the team time to work out a deal tool. You don't often see a player play under the tag much anymore. They usually have a deal worked out before the season starts.

Does either tag give you draft compensation in case a deal doesn't work out?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jenks real value is probably right around that 9 million number. He has accomplished just as much as Vontae Davis when he signed a 9 million a year deal and he isn't better than Aqib Talib making 9.5 million. However when Tru and Norman get tagged Jenks will be the best Corner on the market with a starting price of at least 9.5 mil a year or more realistically 10.5 million a year.

If the rams dont think he is worth it and they have Tru under contract one way or another see ya later and lets go after Marvin Jones.

You're not accounting for the cap rising. Talib and Davis signed their contracts in 2014 when the salary cap was at $133 million. The salary cap is now at $155 million. If you do the math, $9 million a year under a $133 million cap is equivalent to $10.5 million a year under a $155 million cap.

Not to mention the fact that Byron Maxwell got $10.5 million a year last off-season as the top FA CB.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Besfore I get started I'm a little drunk and posting this from my phone so forgive my spelling. But Fisher and the rams took a shot on this fucking head case and he has had his ups and downs but with there help they kept this guy clean for the first time in his football life and he's gonna turn around and give them the middle finger when they offer him pretty much a top 10 deal?? Well FUCK HIM! SORRY UNGRATEFUL POS! We Dont need your shit here give Tru the money and let gains start. Dudes probably gonna get paid and then get suspended for smoking weed in a titty bar. I'm done with him! Fuckem. Good luck to you bud go to the raiders get your money and fizzle out. I'm done with you. My drunk rant is over.