Rams will use franchise tag on either Johnson or Jenkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If both players want to stay and the Rams offer them market price why can't they keep both of them? The question is do the Rams want to give them the market rate.

What is market price? Free agency is basically an auction, and JJ in particular will go to whichever team values or overvalues him most.

Add in that the Rams may believe that they are pretty good at picking up DBs later in the draft, so it may not make sense to put so much cap space into having two premium CBs on their big free agent contracts. Maybe Snisher even figures that they'd be better off signing one - and using the huge contract needed to sign the second to grab a WR, since the Rams have pretty much sucked at getting WRs in the draft.

I mean, with an unlimited budget - sure, sign both. But a second premium CB free agent contract might be better off going towards the offense.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/27/2016-franchise-and-transition-tag-numbers/

2016 franchise and transition tag numbers
Posted by Mike Florio on February 27, 2016

Now that the salary cap has been set at a whopping $155.27 million for 2016, the franchise and transition tags for the coming league year can be calculated. Fortunately, someone better at calculating things than me has done the calculating.

The franchise and transition tag numbers for each position appear below. The first number is the nonexclusive franchise tag; the second is the transition tag.

Cornerback: $13.952 million/$11.913 million.

Quarterback: $19.953 million/$17.696 million.

Running back: $11.789 million/$9.647 million.

Receiver: $14.599 million/$12.268 million.

Tight end: $9.118 million/$7.713 million.

Offensive line: $13.706 million/$11.902 million.

Defensive end: $15.701 million/$12.734 million.

Defensive tackle: $13.615 million/$10.875 million.

Linebacker: $14.129 million/$11.925 million.

Safety: $10.806 million/$9.116 million.

Kicker/punter: $4.572 million/$4.123 million.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Snead should of locked up 1 of these corners within the last 2 years.Now they will both want close to top dollar when we could of had them for a lot less.

I agree with this. They both had their questions surrounding them, so it is admittedly easy for us to say this with the benefit of hindsight.... but you get the feel this brass loves Jenkins and wants to keep him at (almost) any cost. If that's the case, why didn't you just sign him earlier? I know he said he was 'betting on himself' but I think what would've have been enough $$$ to get him to sign 1 or 2 years ago - betting on himself or not - will no longer be enough today.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Well, first things should come first. IOW, do the Ram doctors believe that Gaines is gonna be 100% this year? If so, then many more options are available. If not, or even if they're just not sure, then Ram options are much more limited.

In an even semi reasonable world, both CB's could be signed for approx $10 million. Not a $14 million tagged price. Both are very good CB's, but are they top 5? I don't think so either.

Yet it seems prudent to sign at least one, if only to maintain our D strength. And that's assuming that Gaines is healthy.

The money saved by allowing one CB to depart would come in handy for a FA at WR, TE, DE, or toward a QB.

I do have great faith in Snead's ability to draft another CB, especially in this loaded class. Not to mention that GW and coach Cecil have done a terrific job of developing young corners, as well.

By Tuesday we'll all know how this worked out. But I'm not all that worried.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Well .... Jason Cole is not the most reliable source....... And... the article states PFF has Janoris ranked 26th out of 111 CB's and Tru ranked #19
PFF is the least reliable source, since it knows nothing about how Greg Williams' scheme uses the CBs different than other teams.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I would have no problems tagging Johnson, letting Jenkins walk, and then investing that money into several depth players. Their is a point where we are making a mistake by paying these guys so much. If we really want to be mediocre, we will pay these good players elite money.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What is market price? Free agency is basically an auction, and JJ in particular will go to whichever team values or overvalues him most.

Add in that the Rams may believe that they are pretty good at picking up DBs later in the draft, so it may not make sense to put so much cap space into having two premium CBs on their big free agent contracts. Maybe Snisher even figures that they'd be better off signing one - and using the huge contract needed to sign the second to grab a WR, since the Rams have pretty much sucked at getting WRs in the draft.

I mean, with an unlimited budget - sure, sign both. But a second premium CB free agent contract might be better off going towards the offense.

i hear what you're saying and that's why i asked if the rams are willing to pay market price.

but what seems like crazy money now will be the norm a couple of years down the track. the rams will be the best judges of if either cb is worth it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

per rotoworld.

Trumaine Johnson - DB - Rams
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Rams are "leaning toward" franchising tagging free agent CB Trumaine Johnson.

The Rams also want to keep free agent Janoris Jenkins, but it sounds like they have a slightly higher grade on Johnson. Jenkins recently changed agents, suggesting he's prepared to hit the open market. With Josh Norman not going anywhere, Jenkins would be the top corner available if he isn't re-signed.
Related: Janoris Jenkins

RamBill

Legend
Rams Expected To Tag CB Trumaine Johnson As CB Janoris Jenkins Flips Agents
By 3k

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/2...ams-st-louis-trumaine-johnson-janoris-jenkins

As the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine heats up, the Rams are doing some front office work inside the halls of Lucas Oil Stadium.

We've got some news coming out as the Los Angeles Rams, with everyone at the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine, is clearly working on some free agency angles as well.

As we've discussed often, the key story for the Rams in free agency (or perhaps Priority A) is the expiring contracts of CBs Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson (to say nothing of all the other expiring contracts throughout the secondary and teamwide).

To that end, we've now got a report from NFL Media's Ian Rapoport that suggests the Rams could use the franchise tag on Johnson:

Ian Rapoport ‎@RapSheet
#Rams are leaning toward franchise tagging CB Trumaine Johnson, sources say. A bit unexpected, but there is a lot of outside interest in him

That would suggest that Johnson is the top priority among the potential free agents in the secondary. So with that being the case, that leaves Janoris as either the more certain signing or more likely to hit free agency. Perhaps in preparation for the latter, CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports that Jenkins has signed with a new agent less than two weeks away from the March 9 opening day of free agency:

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora
with free agency approaching and him in demand, Rams CB Janoris Jenkins has changed agents and hired @schwartzfeinsod I'm told

So as we wind down the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine and head toward NFL New Year's Day, keep an eye out on TST for updates regarding free agency...and Priority A.

RamBill

Legend
L.A. Rams leaning toward tagging Trumaine Johnson
By Austin Knoblauch NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-rams-leaning-toward-tagging-trumaine-johnson

The Los Angeles Rams want to keep Trumaine Johnson in the fold, and they're willing to use the franchise tag in order to make it happen.

The Rams are leaning toward franchise tagging the fifth-year cornerback, sources informed of the team's thinking told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport on Saturday. The move is somewhat unexpected since the team still needs to sign cornerback Janoris Jenkins to a long-term contract before the March 1 franchise tag deadline.

A cornerback of Johnson's caliber would be poised for a big pay day if he hit the open market. The Rams have more than $50 million in salary-cap space after cutting Chris Long, James Laurinaitis and Jared Cook last week, so there's still a chance they could sign Johnson before the start of the free agency period.

Rams general manager Les Snead said determining Johnson and Jenkins' futures was the team's top priority heading into the NFL Scouting Combine.

"We will meet with their reps, maybe more than one time at this combine," Snead said Thursday in Indianapolis. "I'm not saying anything gets done. We have a lot of things going on, but that's priority A."

Still, it seems as if the Rams are more worried about losing Johnson, at this point, than they are about Jenkins potentially hitting the open market.

Last season, the hard-hitting Johnson finished with 58 tackles and seven interceptions. Jenkins, who was selected ahead of Johnson in the 2012 draft by the Rams, had 56 tackles and three interceptions. Both players were ranked near the top of Around The NFL's top 99 free agents.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I agree with this. They both had their questions surrounding them, so it is admittedly easy for us to say this with the benefit of hindsight.... but you get the feel this brass loves Jenkins and wants to keep him at (almost) any cost. If that's the case, why didn't you just sign him earlier? I know he said he was 'betting on himself' but I think what would've have been enough $$$ to get him to sign 1 or 2 years ago - betting on himself or not - will no longer be enough today.

Exactly

Ramer

Been a Ram fan too long to quit now
Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images
As the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine heats up, the Rams are doing some front office work inside the halls of Lucas Oil Stadium.

We've got some news coming out as the Los Angeles Rams, with everyone at the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine, is clearly working on some free agency angles as well.

As we've discussed often, the key story for the Rams in free agency (or perhaps Priority A) is the expiring contracts of CBs Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson (to say nothing of all the other expiring contracts throughout the secondary and teamwide).

To that end, we've now got a report from NFL Media's Ian Rapoport that suggests the Rams could use the franchise tag on Johnson:

That would suggest that Johnson is the top priority among the potential free agents in the secondary. So with that being the case, that leaves Janoris as either the more certain signing or more likely to hit free agency. Perhaps in preparation for the latter, CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports that Jenkins has signed with a new agent less than two weeks away from the March 9 opening day of free agency:

So as we wind down the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine and head toward NFL New Year's Day, keep an eye out on TST for updates regarding free agency...and Priority A. http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/2/27/ ... is-jenkins

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'll be pissed if both these guys aren't in horns next year.
Why the hell wouldn't we use the remaining 6 mill from last year, to front load these guys contracts. Instead we're not rolling it over to this year?
I know we have quite a bit of cap space this year, but use what we can to keep our own.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Jenks switching agents 2 weeks before Free Agency beyond weird. Screams over estimating his value. Could be good for us if the market brings him back down to earth

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They gotta keep one so that they don't have to prioritize CB in the draft. I'll feel a lot better once they have one of these guys locked up, along with Barron.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Why the hell wouldn't we use the remaining 6 mill from last year, to front load these guys contracts. Instead we're not rolling it over to this year?
I know we have quite a bit of cap space this year, but use what we can to keep our own.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/2/25/11112862/los-angeles-rams-2015-salary-cap-space-carry-over

"Instead of carrying over the additional salary cap space, the Rams elected to use $1.245 million to offset incentives earned in 2015, but not yet accounted for on their their salary cap. The end result is the exact same amount of available salary cap space as if instead the Rams had rolled over all of the remaining room from 2015."

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame

seriously. don't fuck around.. just get both of these guys back

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Anybody got any history on Jenkins new agent.Good agent?hard-ass?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/2/25/11112862/los-angeles-rams-2015-salary-cap-space-carry-over

"Instead of carrying over the additional salary cap space, the Rams elected to use $1.245 million to offset incentives earned in 2015, but not yet accounted for on their their salary cap. The end result is the exact same amount of available salary cap space as if instead the Rams had rolled over all of the remaining room from 2015."
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I wasn't aware.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
It's not a huge loss if one of them walks, Joyner is our nickel and Gaines will be back this year as well. I'd like to have both, but we will keep at least one, we can't lose them both.