Rams sign Kamren Curl

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Great signing

Now go resign Johnson and draft DeJean. That said:

1. Sadly, I do not think DeJean will make it to 19 - he is way too talented and an impactful player! that will climb up these so-called draft boards as media shlocks speak with actual decision makers - who should have him rated higher than we currently expect based on his tape, attitude and metrics. OK it will depend on whether they view him as a CB or Safety but why would you switch a potentially dominant talent to the inside when he is capable of dominating outside?

2. Johnston deserves a good multi-year [3-year] deal that doesn't break the bank. I suspect Atlanta or the Chargers will offer him one

If we were to sign both, look out, our secondary will be superb with a great mix of depth, talent and experience.

I have always seen Lake and Yeast as being more situational, and there is great value in that, as they do certain things extremely well so I am not sure this great signing affects our starting rotation.

Thought?
Johnson was actually not good last season, in any regard. I'm hoping we can improve on that.
Callen Bullock would be a nice addition. From what I have read he is considered to have great range. 3rd rd target possibly
Bullock is a ball hawk. If only he could play the run, he'd be a sure fire 2nd rounder. He's still a steal if we could grab him in the 4th, or even with our comp pick in the 3rd.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
The video was a pre free agency video. But, it’s time to move on. Jake trusted his source and the guy was wrong, or the predicted deal never materialized. I don’t understand why people keep bringing it up.
Its still Friday. He said it was set to happen today. As far as I can tell, we still have many hours to see if anything materializes before we call him wrong.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
McSnead continue to hit line drive singles and double beefing up the interior of our roster.

Upgrade interior line with 3 now maulers. Check.

Elite blocking TE with upside as a pass catcher and 6'7" frame. Check,

Vet corner who was still very good last year and an upgrade. Check.

Now very good young safety at a very reasonable contract. Check.

None of these deals has back breaking numbers either.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I’m also not going to harp on what he said. It’s pointless. He taking way too much criticism here …

Jake seems like a nice young guy, and tremendous Rams’ fan.

There was one poster that was abusive, and he got a Board timeout for it.

Jake has not couched his comments. He has expressed certainty regarding a major move. That’s different from a strong, informed opinion.

It’s OK but criticism will come with being wrong.

There’s a long time, frequent Board member that constantly states his opinions as facts, and is frequently (and justifiably in my opinion) called out for it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Its still Friday. He said it was set to happen today. As far as I can tell, we still have many hours to see if anything materializes before we call him wrong.
We’ve all been wrong about stuff, especially when trusting outside information. IMO it’s best to just drop it.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Following the jaw dropping news that probably crashed the site :-( how about signing Justin Simmons? That would give us a quite brilliant pairing

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Jim, if everything remains the same as it is now.
That is good question ... Curl has been a boundary safety -- always on the short side of the field when they are in their 1st and 10, etc package.

Then when they go to 3rd and long or the "pass package" he has been playing middle linebacker the last two years. Before that he was basically a "Star" ... he's done that less last 2 years.

As you know, Rams don't play strong- and free safety. They go left and right with this caveat .. late in 2022 they went boundary and field ...which is only time they have done that since 2020 and the Fangio-type system.

So, will they stay left and right? Or will they go boundary and field (one safety short side of field and one on the wide side)

I am very curious to know. With Curl they can do either
Who do you think takes the other starting spot at safety?
Great question and I don't know. Yeast? Yeast has questionable ball skills and missed a lot of tackles ... essentially got benched and JJIII took over.

Could JJIII stay? And below you mention Lake.

Wildcard is Taylor --- is he a player? He got reps late in season. Maybe they see things in him we are not privy to. Jeff Fisher always said the biggest improvement for any player is from year 1 to year 2 ... can he mak a leap?

Does Lake move back or stay in the Star role.
He certainly has skill set to do both ... He and Curl are same type of guy.

Will everyone be somewhat interchangeable?
Another great questions ... and yes, I think, just a guess, that is what could happen.

some speculation on passing downs, using 5 DBs and 2 LBers
they could do this ...
Williams at BC
Tomlinson??? or someone as the field corner
star-Lake
S- Curl
S- Taylor???? (Yeast, JJIII, etc)
LB-Jones
LB-??? Call it Hummell ... we don't know other guy

or
they could do this ...
Williams at BC
star-Durant
S- Curl
S- Lake
LB-Jones
LB-??? Call it Hummel... we don't know other guy

Dime - they could do this ...
Williams at BC
star-Curl
S- Taylor?
S- Lake
LB-Jones
LB-Yeast

they could do this ...
Williams at BC
star-Lake
S- Taylor?
S- Yeast?
LB-Jones
LB-Curl

All those, and more are possibilities
I see Curl as being able to play S and nickel LB (Rams call it Money) (and maybe never star)
I see lake as being able to play S and Star
I see Yeast as able to play S and Money
I see Durant as being able to play CB ar Star
I see Taylor as a S ... not sure if he can do more.
We know that in the past JJJIII was like curl, could play S and nickel LB, even some in slot

But, really, way to early to know anything fur sure. I do think the plays that Fuller made mistakes
wore thin ... Curl is known to be super-smart (he's worn green dot before) he's know as good tackler
and maybe not an elite cover S ...

WestCoastRam

Legend
That is good question ... Curl has been a boundary safety -- always on the short side of the field when they are in their 1st and 10, etc package.

Then when they go to 3rd and long or the "pass package" he has been playing middle linebacker the last two years. Before that he was basically a "Star" ... he's done that less last 2 years.

As you know, Rams don't play strong- and free safety. They go left and right with this caveat .. late in 2022 they went boundary and field ...which is only time they have done that since 2020 and the Fangio-type system.

So, will they stay left and right? Or will they go boundary and field (one safety short side of field and one on the wide side)

I am very curious to know. With Curl they can do either

Great question and I don't know. Yeast? Yeast has questionable ball skills and missed a lot of tackles ... essentially got benched and JJIII took over.

Could JJIII stay? And below you mention Lake.

Wildcard is Taylor --- is he a player? He got reps late in season. Maybe they see things in him we are not privy to. Jeff Fisher always said the biggest improvement for any player is from year 1 to year 2 ... can he mak a leap?

He certainly has skill set to do both ... He and Curl are same type of guy.

Another great questions ... and yes, I think, just a guess, that is what could happen.

some speculation on passing downs, using 5 DBs and 2 LBers
they could do this ...
Williams at BC
star-Lake
S- Curl
S- Taylor???? (Yeast, JJIII, etc)
LB-Jones
LB-??? Call it Hummell ... we don't know other guy

or
they could do this ...
Williams at BC
star-Durant
S- Curl
S- Lake
LB-Jones
LB-??? Call it Hummel... we don't know other guy

Dime - they could do this ...
Williams at BC
star-Curl
S- Taylor?
S- Lake
LB-Jones
LB-Yeast

they could do this ...
Williams at BC
star-Lake
S- Taylor?
S- Yeast?
LB-Jones
LB-Curl

All those, and more are possibilities
I see Curl as being able to play S and nickel LB (Rams call it Money) (and maybe never star)
I see lake as being able to play S and Star
I see Yeast as able to play S and Money
I see Durant as being able to play CB ar Star
I see Taylor as a S ... not sure if he can do more.
We know that in the past JJJIII was like curl, could play S and nickel LB, even some in slot

But, really, way to early to know anything fur sure. I do think the plays that Fuller made mistakes
wore thin ... Curl is known to be super-smart (he's worn green dot before) he's know as good tackler
and maybe not an elite cover S ...
Your the tits man

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Low risk, high reward signing: Rams are getting more physical on both sides; can’t wait to see how they perform on the field

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Depends on source. PFR has him pretty low, PFF higher and SIS kind of in between ... different eyes see different total of missed tackles...

the age of information, I guess ... who do you trust the most?
.... gotta trust your eyes.
And, my eyes see a future pro-bowl safety.
This kid can HIT, he can tackle, he chases down WR's.... really a great pick up at SS.
Not sure what this means for JJIII tho, who is a FA as well.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
JJ is probably gone. If he couldn't stand out among last season's group he doesn't have it any more. Even if he were willing to return on the cheap that roster spot is best served by a pro teams member.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good player, good signing, but as far as the trend goes (actually signing a safety) - I think this was also a "we don't want to draft a safety" signing after the AD news

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
This kid can HIT, he can tackle, he chases down WR's.... really a great pick up at SS.
He's not really a strong safety ... he has played the boundary for Washington so sometimes he was a SS and sometimes a FS, depending on what the offense did. Then, plays some linebacker in nickel, and early on a lot of slot CB ...

Rams don't use, or haven't used SS and FS, they use a left safety and a right safety, so both safeties have to play both.

But, while I think he's good, remember he has not picked off a pass in 3 years, and is not considered a great coverage guy ... but overall a good signing should be upgrade to Fuller.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
He's not really a strong safety ... he has played the boundary for Washington so sometimes he was a SS and sometimes a FS, depending on what the offense did. Then, plays some linebacker in nickel, and early on a lot of slot CB ...

Rams don't use, or haven't used SS and FS, they use a left safety and a right safety, so both safeties have to play both.

But, while I think he's good, remember he has not picked off a pass in 3 years, and is not considered a great coverage guy ... but overall a good signing should be upgrade to Fuller.
Whoa... that makes sense, thanks @JimY53 !

Memphis Ram

Legend
Low risk, high reward signing: Rams are getting more physical on both sides; can’t wait to see how they perform on the field
Gee. While good players, I wouldn't say that the last couple of signings on defense were necessarily physical.

I'm hoping more physicality gets added though.