Rams Select Braden Fiske, DL at #39 Overall.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I have been busy with family this weekend but been keeping up with the draft and this board of course. Not much time to share. We were storm chasers in Oklahoma yesterday and its evening. Kind of fun for us. Not for others (prayers)

Color me surprised at the critics trading a second round next year for this dynamic duo. This story is so damn fun. Can't replace the GOAT Aaron Donald but you may likely be able to do better in the aggregate. (Stole it from Moneyball)

Just the way I look at it, we traded a very high third round pick for this game changing strategy after we win the Super Bowl this season.

GO RAMS!!!

Exactly - who else was going to play there. Just think if The Rams traded those picks for BURNS(Panthers)?
These 2 are signed for the next 4 years at a NEED !! There higher rated than Kobie Turner & Byron Young were last season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Unfortunately, too many people fall for this absolute nonsense.
Oh Jesus Christ.

It's not nonsense if even some of us enjoy talking ball. This includes the draft. It includes projecting what may come of it as well. And most here enjoy this stuff. So lighten the fuck up Francis. Climb down off that high horse and maybe you'll have some fun.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I don’t know how many times I’ve said this draft class is different. Our 2nd round pick next year probably gets what teams got this year in the 4th. The Fiske trade seemed unbalanced until you take that into account. You can throw the trade value charts in the trash this year.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Why are we giving a shit about a second?

With pick 32 we’re basically picking in the second anyway.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why are we giving a shit about a second?

With pick 32 we’re basically picking in the second anyway.

i think it started when one poster said les takes it up the arse in every trade. then the trade chart war began.

don't pay any attention to that fuck jason from otc.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't care a bit about trade values and such. I trust McSnead knows their business far better than any of us. I was hoping to read more about the player and what he brings to our Dline. How good does Verse and Fiske make us? It was fun to watch Fiske relentlessly blow past the Center or Guard and getting after the QB in the Senior Bowl. I don't know how good Verse will be, but I am very optimistic about him. I am kind of confused about the difference between an Edge and DE in a 3-4, because I thought they were the same?

TexasRam

Legend
I don't care a bit about trade values and such. I trust McSnead knows their business far better than any of us. I was hoping to read more about the player and what he brings to our Dline. How good does Verse and Fiske make us? It was fun to watch Fiske relentlessly blow past the Center or Guard and getting after the QB in the Senior Bowl. I don't know how good Verse will be, but I am very optimistic about him. I am kind of confused about the difference between an Edge and DE in a 3-4, because I thought they were the same?
To quote Braden Fiske, "You have no idea what you have just done".

...queuing JimYoungblood. :woozy2::laugh2:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Oh Jesus Christ.

It's not nonsense if even some of us enjoy talking ball. This includes the draft. It includes projecting what may come of it as well. And most here enjoy this stuff. So lighten the fuck up Francis. Climb down off that high horse and maybe you'll have some fun.
Bruh, sounds like YOU may be the one who needs a Xanax, haha. And sorry, but draft grades are (IMO) ridiculous unless those grades are given after 3 or so years... But I guess a lot of people really love that shit.

Clutching pearls over how some random derp like Foolio feels about your draft? Sounds about as productive as a Rob Boras offense to me...

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Sometimes we can tell which draft will grade well.
But grading a draft now is like a quiz leading up to a mid-term exam. They say year three is when you really find out what the grade is. And in the Rams case (or any other team who trades away picks prior to the draft), the players acquired with those picks aren't included in the draft grade even though they should be. We got Cooks, Fowler, Ramsey and Von Miller with draft picks and they were all first round picks who had already proven their worth on the field but weren't a part of the Rams draft grade (by the 'experts'). All four of them played in 1 of the 2 Superbowls we got to.

In the case of Fiske, the Rams got #39 (510 pts) gave up #52 (380 pts), #155 (29 pts) for a subtotal of 409 pts as well as a 2025 2nd round pick, which could be anywhere from #33 (580 pts) to #64 (270 pts). And they say future picks are valued a round lower so if that's true, then that 2nd rounder had a current value 265 to 216. That sounds a little more reasonable. Did they overpay? According to the chart, yes. But according to the chart Penix was worth 1400 points and Atlanta probably won't begin to get their return on that for 3 or 4 years. We'll have to wait and see how Fiske works out. Might be he was a steal. Might be it was a bad move.

But it's certainly worthy of discussion.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I'm thinking Fiske was their "must have" guy to pair with Verse--i.e., if they got Verse, they'd do what they had to do to get Fiske.
As the run on DT's started in the early 2nd, with the better DT's already gone, Snead & McVay did what they had to to get this kid.
Had Fiske been picked already, I think they'd have just waited until #52. But they see something in Fiske, but not just him -- him + Verse as a combo.
As for value?? let's say I'm looking at a Ram, but I get better terms if I get a Ford F150. I overpay for the Ram. Every. Time. I'm sure a Ford is a fine truck, & the terms might be better, that is until it starts shorting out & your dome light blinks incessantly & your ABS light goes on for no reason & your steering goes out until you restart the engine, etc. etc. etc. (no I'm not a bitter former Ford owner, not at all...)
The Rams are smart. (back to the football Rams) I don't think they just overpay for no reason... at least not since Tayvon.

Name
Richard Levy
But grading a draft now is like a quiz leading up to a mid-term exam. They say year three is when you really find out what the grade is. And in the Rams case (or any other team who trades away picks prior to the draft), the players acquired with those picks aren't included in the draft grade even though they should be. We got Cooks, Fowler, Ramsey and Von Miller with draft picks and they were all first round picks who had already proven their worth on the field but weren't a part of the Rams draft grade (by the 'experts'). All four of them played in 1 of the 2 Superbowls we got to.

In the case of Fiske, the Rams got #39 (510 pts) gave up #52 (380 pts), #155 (29 pts) for a subtotal of 409 pts as well as a 2025 2nd round pick, which could be anywhere from #33 (580 pts) to #64 (270 pts). And they say future picks are valued a round lower so if that's true, then that 2nd rounder had a current value 265 to 216. That sounds a little more reasonable. Did they overpay? According to the chart, yes. But according to the chart Penix was worth 1400 points and Atlanta probably won't begin to get their return on that for 3 or 4 years. We'll have to wait and see how Fiske works out. Might be he was a steal. Might be it was a bad move.

I have no issue with discussion about the merits of a trade; we're all passionate about football.

But let's be honest, some posters were ripping Snead for the Fiske trade and stating that he is an idiot who gets exploited by other GM's who can't wait to rip him off in trade deals. Posters are basing their opinion of Snead's moves based upon trade value charts that certain posters take to be the gospel truth.

How many of these rival GM's who have supposedly scammed Snead in these trades have a Super Bowl on their resume?
After all, winning a Super Bowl is the point of making trades isn't it?

Many of these same posters ripped Snead for not getting much in return for trading Jalen Ramsey to Miami last year.

This was mindless of the fact that whether you're selling a car or trading a football player, the value of the item that you're selling is only what buyers are prepared to pay.

Since Ramsey's play had tailed off significantly as he aged, no team was prepared to pay more for his services, and based upon his play last season, Miami certainly must regret having traded for Ramsey.

By questioning the validity and the relevance of draft value charts and draft grades, some posters seem to think that I'm somehow raining on the football talk parade.

That's not my intention, but I'm not going to stay silent when people are stridently trashing a GM's work based upon flawed tools such as trade value charts and draft "grades".

Last edited:

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I'm thinking Fiske was their "must have" guy to pair with Verse--i.e., if they got Verse, they'd do what they had to do to get Fiske.
As the run on DT's started in the early 2nd, with the better DT's already gone, Snead & McVay did what they had to to get this kid.
Had Fiske been picked already, I think they'd have just waited until #52. But they see something in Fiske, but not just him -- him + Verse as a combo.
As for value?? let's say I'm looking at a Ram, but I get better terms if I get a Ford F150. I overpay for the Ram. Every. Time. I'm sure a Ford is a fine truck, & the terms might be better, that is until it starts shorting out & your dome light blinks incessantly & your ABS light goes on for no reason & your steering goes out until you restart the engine, etc. etc. etc. (no I'm not a bitter former Ford owner, not at all...)
The Rams are smart. (back to the football Rams) I don't think they just overpay for no reason... at least not since Tayvon.
I'm with you on everything you had to say about Verse and Fiske but when you trashed the Ford F150 you crossed the line buddy. I have been driving my F150 for 12 years now and have not had any of the problems you mentioned. I buy a truck for its toughness and reliability not because it has the same name of my favorite sports team. There now I feel better.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I couldn't care less about Nimrods in the media grading drafts.

I said we were optimistic last year's draft would help the Rams get back on track. And now we're very optimistic this year's draft will put them over the top.

Meanwhile we all knew after each linehan draft that the Rams were screwed.

Sometimes we know whether a draft is good or bad at the end of that draft.

JYB

Starter
They wanted Fiske probably more than any of us knew. Perhaps as high as the R1.32 pick but they needed a trade partner.
However they didn’t want to lose any 2024 picks in R1-R3.
So working within these parameters they started with CAR. CAR said no dice with their R1.32. So they worked their way down until they found a partner. CAR took the call for R2.39 and the rest is history.
Has that actually been reported, that they tried to get up to Carolina's first pick in the 2nd? This is the first I've heard that.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Thing is they saw a guy in Fiske that they wanted on the team. A guy that loves football and that prepares the right way. McVay and Snead had him in their sites from the start of round 2 and were going to pay whatever price they needed to go get him. Value charts are moronic in my opinion.
What if the Rams had given up a 3rd rounder to move up to draft Nacua last year. The "Experts" would say that 's terrible value. Oh really?
A draft expert and 5 bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Dutch Bros.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
This was my favorite pick of the draft. He has freakish traits similar to Turner, just a different blend of size. It’s a bonus that he’s played next to Verse and has some built in chemistry. Comes across as a natural leader that loves the game and his preparation.
The actual trade doesn’t bother me at all. Compensation reminds me of the Lamarcus Joyner trade up. I’d say that one was a push. Solid player, but a bit inconsistent and floated between nickel and safety. He did play a long time for 3 teams in the league as smaller db so you could say the pick had value.

WestCoastRam

Legend

Rams paid a big price in trade with Panthers to move up 13 spots for Braden Fiske
By Michael David Smith

The Rams must love rookie defensive lineman Braden Fiske, because they paid the Panthers a fortune to move up in the second round and draft him.
To move up from No. 52 to No. 39 and draft Fiske, the Rams gave up the 155th overall pick in this year’s draft, as well as the Rams’ second-round pick in next year’s draft.
That’s a rare price to pay, for a move up of just 13 spots in the second round. In fact, according to Seth Walder of ESPN Analytics, the Rams overpaid by the most any team has overpaid to move up on Day Two of the draft in at least the last six years.
Ultimately, the Rams used two second-round picks and a fifth-round pick on Fiske. That’s a lot to spend.
For the Panthers, it’s a great deal that nets them a second-round pick next year in addition to Jonathon Brooks, the running back the Panthers drafted after making another trade that packaged the two picks they got from the Rams. The Panthers didn’t have a 2025 second-round pick, having shipped it to Chicago in last year’s Bryce Young trade, but now they have a second-round pick after making a good trade on Friday.