Rams Select Braden Fiske, DL at #39 Overall.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The vast majority of the draft picks are older this year just the nature of the covid years. It'll normalize though then again the NIL money might keep it this way.
Even then it’s like you wanting some young stud OT. There is prospects & upside that teams look for .

The thing is is when you see maturity in a player & know there work ethic the upside in a lot of cases is more meaningful to there potential.

In The NFL they already make players stay 3 years out of HS.In The NBA only 1. That’s why imo COLLEGE PLAYERS should get paid .

As an SC Fan F’’’ The NCAA !! Mike Williams is my example of how The NFL(NBA) & NCAA manipulate this young men.

The example of Fiske being used is AD99.An older player who works hard & is proven. What AD99 did in college is a WHOLE other Story.Talking on working hard to get better in all aspects of the game .(study,body,practice,& game)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even then it’s like you wanting some young stud OT. There is prospects & upside that teams look for .

The thing is is when you see maturity in a player & know there work ethic the upside in a lot of cases is more meaningful to there potential.

In The NFL they already make players stay 3 years out of HS.In The NBA only 1. That’s why imo COLLEGE PLAYERS should get paid .

As an SC Fan F’’’ The NCAA !! Mike Williams is my example of how The NFL(NBA) & NCAA manipulate this young men.

The example of Fiske being used is AD99.An older player who works hard & is proven. What AD99 did in college is a WHOLE other Story.Talking on working hard to get better in all aspects of the game .(study,body,practice,& game)
No idea what that has to do with what I said but thank you for the contribution.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rich Hill trade chart is the most recognized as it was put together by studying NFL draft trades over the last 9 years.

The Rams gave up 177 points to get 152 pts according to that chart. Consider that the Panthers may have liked a player at that spot. They probably needed more incentive to move back.

That Jason fuck at otc has the Rams giving up double the value of the 39th pick. Fucking loser.

I will never value any other information put out by that site.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have heard a couple of NFL experts say that the only reason that Braden Fiske didn’t go in the first round was due to his shorter arms. So the Rams really got a steal.
Fiske apologist!

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Age is another reason; Fiske is twenty-four. Same age Kobie Turner was. But he (and Newton) should've been first-round picks over some of the players chosen, in my honest opinion.

Even with the trade-up, I feel we got a hell of a player and a possible steal - and we still have three picks in the first three rounds next year to play with.
And the intangibles with him and Verse should be considered. Those two will probably be more comfortable with this transition to the NFL, being side by side, and that will also show on the field.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The vast majority of the draft picks are older this year just the nature of the covid years. It'll normalize though then again the NIL money might keep it this way.

Very much true. Fiske will turn twenty-five in January. Turner just turned twenty-five two days ago. Young is another older prospect (turned 26 in March). Even Verse will turn twenty-four in November. We seem to value experience and talent, but you're right that a lot of the draft picks were older because of Covid and NIL...unless they had a ridiculous amount of talent.

And the intangibles with him and Verse should be considered. Those two will probably be more comfortable with this transition to the NFL, being side by side, and that will also show on the field.

Agreed. That chemistry should help them acclimate. They're clearly close, and that helps.

InfiniteRam

Rookie
Verse, Young, and Turner all project as 8-10 sack guys. If Fiske gets a handful, that's 30'ish sacks just from the D-Line starters. I like this.

Name
Richard Levy
It's ridiculous for posters to obsess about the Rams losing draft value in the Fiske trade.

The sole goal of the draft is to get impact players to help you towards winning the Super Bowl - period.

Draft value charts cannot account for the need to target areas of dire need and, frankly, they are simply a rough guage and are not really applicable for specific transactions and cannot account for the future potential of individual draftees.

The fact is that Aaron Donald's retirement created a massive roster hole, and the front office had to aggressively address it.

Giving up future draft picks is just the cost of doing business.

Just let it go folks.

I'm really jacked that we got this dynamic Florida State duo!!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
It's ridiculous for posters to obsess about the Rams losing draft value in the Fiske trade.

The sole goal of the draft is to get impact players to help you towards winning the Super Bowl - period.

Draft value charts cannot account for the need to target areas of dire need and, frankly, they are simply a rough guage and are not really applicable for specific transactions and cannot account for the future potential of individual draftees.

The fact is that Aaron Donald's retirement created a massive roster hole, and the front office had to aggressively address it.

Just let it go folks.

Thank you for saying what so many of us are thinking. Let this thread be about the stud the Rams just added to their roster FFS...take your useless, subjective draft value charts and burn em.... They are as moronic and pointless as draft "grades" before any of the draftees have even joined their teams, much less taken a snap......

dang

Legend
That's the point. Like the player, like the aggressiveness. Don't like consistently overpaying to acquire players and getting nothing in return for trading them. Teams fleece Les bc they know they can. They've seen him get the short end of the stick in trades time after time, so they're all gonna hold out for more when he comes callin'. Wish somebody else would do the negotiating in the future.
They wanted Fiske probably more than any of us knew. Perhaps as high as the R1.32 pick but they needed a trade partner.
However they didn’t want to lose any 2024 picks in R1-R3.
So working within these parameters they started with CAR. CAR said no dice with their R1.32. So they worked their way down until they found a partner. CAR took the call for R2.39 and the rest is history.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They wanted Fiske probably more than any of us knew. Perhaps as high as the R1.32 pick but they needed a trade partner.
However they didn’t want to lose any 2024 picks in R1-R3.
So working within these parameters they started with CAR. CAR said no dice with their R1.32. So they worked their way down until they found a partner. CAR took the call for R2.39 and the rest is history.

The panthers traded up to 32 to take a wr.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I know some people will give us a lower draft grade because what we gave up to get Fiske. But the way I see it, if we stood pat at 52, was there a player remaining that could give us the same impact at a needed position? I don't think so. Call it the cost of doing business. He's
There was not anyone like him, who could fit in as a Ram DE ... the next guy off the board was a pure 3-tech. And Rams plan to sue Kobie there ... and after him there wasn't a DT taken for a long time --- so they could have taken a 3-tech and had two, or wait and "overdraft" the next guys, one who was a NT --- we're set there, and then get to the guys who look like they could fit Jonah's spot.

It was now or never to get higher quality. Sure, the 3rd-round guys could *play* but would they have the impact of Fiske?

Probably not, because Fiske is fairly rare ...

He has a couple issues, but still, looks the part, has good character and for his position is more athletic than most anyone you arte going to find in the draft.

Overpaid? Sure. Enough to worry about? No.

He will more than certainly be upgrade over Jonah Williams.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

Just let it go folks.

I actually see very, very few people here complaining about the pick and the price.
Maybe a couple?
I think it’s just people disagreeing on the fact they overpaid for the pick, based on all the different pick value charts.
No big.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
The "The White AD"... put some pressure on him.

I remember people referred to Kevin Greene as "The White LT"... so why not?
I think that was Bill Bain who called George Andews "The White LT" after he got 6 sacks or so in first half of 1984 season. And Andrew went down and Wilcher took over.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Nobody is obsessing. There is just predictable discussion of what was an overpay of draft spots. I'd say most of those who have observed it was an overpay are fine with it. He seems like an ideal fit for this defense.

dang

Legend
The panthers traded up to 32 to take a wr.

My point is if the Rams put a R1.32 value on Fiske - was that worth trading their R2.52/R5.155/2025.R2 picks to get?
No one on this forum knows what value the Rams assigned to Fiske the PLAYER - but my opinion is they felt the trade was worth the PLAYER. Who gives a SHIT if it was a good trade for the PICK position based on some value chart.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
I have been busy with family this weekend but been keeping up with the draft and this board of course. Not much time to share. We were storm chasers in Oklahoma yesterday and its evening. Kind of fun for us. Not for others (prayers)

Color me surprised at the critics trading a second round next year for this dynamic duo. This story is so damn fun. Can't replace the GOAT Aaron Donald but you may likely be able to do better in the aggregate. (Stole it from Moneyball)

Just the way I look at it, we traded a very high third round pick for this game changing strategy after we win the Super Bowl this season.

GO RAMS!!!

Name
Richard Levy
Thank you for saying what so many of us are thinking. Let this thread be about the stud the Rams just added to their roster FFS...take your useless, subjective draft value charts and burn em.... They are as moronic and pointless as draft "grades" before any of the draftees have even joined their teams, much less taken a snap......
I totally agree with you about the idiotic draft grades. The problem is that too many people take this wacko stuff way too seriously.

Are people actually sitting in front of a psychic or getting their palms read to see which player will turn out to be a stud, and to see which team had a better draft?

Unfortunately, too many people fall for this absolute nonsense.

Name
Richard Levy
Nobody is obsessing. There is just predictable discussion of what was an overpay of draft spots. I'd say most of those who have observed it was an overpay are fine with it. He seems like an ideal fit for this defense.

Respectfully, there is no such thing as an overpay of draft value.

The value of a specific draft spot is directly related to the quality of an available player and that urgency of the need that a team has for a specific player in that player's position in that spot in the draft.

These draft value charts are meaningless in that they seek to quantify things that are not actually equivalent, and they don't factor in the value that a player has to a specific team, a team's needs and the qualities and skills required by the team drafting, or trading for a player.

The Rams approach of F them picks is a perfect example.

Giving up significant draft capital is a wise move if you can obtain a player necessary to win the Super Bowl e.g. Matt Stafford and Von Miller.

At the end of the day, there is no guarantee that a drafted player in any round will even play in the league, or start, much less be a Pro Bowler.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I totally agree with you about the idiotic draft grades. The problem is that too many people take this wacko stuff way too seriously.

Are people actually sitting in front of a psychic or getting their palms read to see which player will turn out to be a stud, and to see which team had a better draft?

Unfortunately, too many people fall for this absolute nonsense.

True but we were very happy with the Rams draft straight away this year and last year while we sat back gobsmacked at how awful the drafts were in the linehan years straight after each draft.

Sometimes we can tell which draft will grade well.