Rams Roster Preview: Cody Davis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
CoachO with more detail:
What I mean, by saying they are interchangeable, is that the skill sets are all fairly similar. I think too many people hang onto the labels of FS/SS and what those distinct positions entail. I see the type player that Fisher seems to covet, are guys who may not have all of those characteristics, but players who can play the position in a way that suits his defense.

Having a true "ball hawking" Safety is becoming a luxury that most teams have moved away from. Look no further than what seems to be the model secondary right now. I ask you this, who would you label the "ball hawk" in the Seattle defense? Thomas or Chancellor? or is it more a case of both having similar qualities, both are very physical tacklers, and both are able to get where they need to b in coverage, mostly in ZONE?

It's one thing to accept the interchangeable concept, but it seems to be another to understand that letting go of the feeling that they have to have one big physical safety, while the other needs to be a ball hawk. I think what Fisher, and Williams want are guys who can do both, albeit might not be stellar in once area, but better than most overall.
Two things here:
Everything you say here could be true but if it is, I never again want to hear someone say that our DBs gave 10 yard cushions because of the lack of a true FS. Something which was said many times last year by many different "experts".

More importantly, he has yet to draft any safeties that have any skills as a center fielder. At least that's my impression. It isn't even a question of them being able to "cover" a receiver, be it a WR, RB or TE, it's their ability to play the "position" of center fielder. For example, Jenkins might be great in man to man coverage but he really sucks in zone coverage. IMO, it's going to be a weakness in our D until we find someone who does have those skills. Do you see someone on our team who has that skill set?

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
It seems to me that Fisher thinks he can get by on bargain bin safeties. (With the exception of McDonald.) I'm not ready to buy the hype on any of these undrafted players. Guys like Romo are going to light the rams up all year and it's going to be up to the pass rush to keep the defense in games. I hope I'm wrong but I see the Rams looking hard at some better safeties next year.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Two things here:
Everything you say here could be true but if it is, I never again want to hear someone say that our DBs gave 10 yard cushions because of the lack of a true FS. Something which was said many times last year by many different "experts".

More importantly, he has yet to draft any safeties that have any skills as a center fielder. At least that's my impression. It isn't even a question of them being able to "cover" a receiver, be it a WR, RB or TE, it's their ability to play the "position" of center fielder. For example, Jenkins might be great in man to man coverage but he really sucks in zone coverage. IMO, it's going to be a weakness in our D until we find someone who does have those skills. Do you see someone on our team who has that skill set?

You may disagree with me, but when he is allowed to focus at playing solely the Safety position, McLeod does have those skills. McLeod and Cody Davis were the only two at camp last year, who showed the ability to read the play, and actually anticipate where the ball was going, making a break on the ball in the air.

Now, saying he has the ability to diagnose the play, AND the ability to get there in time may be two different things.

I know most people will not agree with me, but this is one of the reasons I have been such a proponent of giving Davis a shot at the job. He is bigger, faster and a much better tackler than McLeod, and with the year in the system, he is now where McLeod was a year ago, when he "won" the job over an oft injured D. Stewart.

I understand what you are trying to say about not having a "center fielder" back there. But part of that has been because of the amount of time they have played a single high safety. I don't care who you are, Ed Reed included, covering the entire field in a single deep position is next to impossible. More often than not, when you see safeties getting to the edge to "help" a CB, they were in a 2-deep position and had HALF the field to worry about.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
How the safety position plays out in TC is what I'm most looking forward to seeing. I'm looking forward to reading your camp reports. I don't know which positions you're going to concentrate on but I hope safety is one of them.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
It seems to me that Fisher thinks he can get by on bargain bin safeties. (With the exception of McDonald.) I'm not ready to buy the hype on any of these undrafted players. Guys like Romo are going to light the rams up all year and it's going to be up to the pass rush to keep the defense in games. I hope I'm wrong but I see the Rams looking hard at some better safeties next year.

So DRAFTING 3 of them in this years draft doesn't equate to "looking hard" at the position already? You exclude McDonald from the mix, and yet he was a 2nd round pick. Why are guys like Joyner (2nd round) Alexander, (4th round) and even Bryant (who was a very good pick, sans his injury) not to be given the same exclusion?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
How the safety position plays out in TC is what I'm most looking forward to seeing. I'm looking forward to reading your camp reports. I don't know which positions you're going to concentrate on but I hope safety is one of them.

I don't really focus on any one position. I try to pay close attention to who is getting reps with each unit, (1st, 2nd, 3rd), across the board. I tend to focus on the 7 on 7 drillls early in the practice, because its killing two birds with one stone. Get to see the DBs AND the WRs compete, while also seeing how the QBs are performing.

For example, last year, one of the red flags for me, regarding the QBs, was seeing BOTH Clemens and A. Davis "scrambling" during a 7 on 7 drill to "extend the play" because they couldn't make the reads "on time". Also the lack of accuracy they BOTH struggled with.

Also, seeing Jenkins compete with Givens be in in 1 on 1 drills, or the 7 on 7, he noticeably was much more intense when squaring off vs, Givens, than he was vs any of the other receivers. It was fun to watch.

nighttrain

Legend
i predict cody will make the roster and not pick up where he left off on special teams, but end up turning some heads at safety during the course of the season.
Thinking the exact same thing, Davis was in 12 games last season, that's a bunch for an UDFA
train

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I c
So DRAFTING 3 of them in this years draft doesn't equate to "looking hard" at the position already? You exclude McDonald from the mix, and yet he was a 2nd round pick. Why are guys like Joyner (2nd round) Alexander, (4th round) and even Bryant (who was a very good pick, sans his injury) not to be given the same exclusion?

I completely forgot about Joyner..... besides I thought he was slated to play mosy nickel?

Mo from my understanding is supposed to be more of a project seeing as he's a converted line backer. It just seems like there are more project players at the safety position then anywhere else and it is a bit concerning.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
There are lot of question marks related to many of the safety candidates. Alexander is green and coming off an injury and neither Bryant nor Daniels could not practice during OTS.

There is lot to like about Davis. He was an academic all American and has really good measurables for the position. He has good height 6-2 (204lbs), ran a 4.41 40, and has 41.5" vertical. I hope he will present a serious challenge to McCloud for the SS job this year. My question is does he have the instincts and espcially the physicality Fisher and Williams desire form their safeties.

From NFL.com http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/cody-davis?id=2541135

At Texas Tech's pro day, Davis ran the 40-yard dash in 4.42 and 4.41 seconds. He had a 41 1/2-inch vertical and 10-foot-3 broad jump. His short shuttle time was 4.00 seconds and he had a 6.78-second three-cone drill. He had 15 lifts of 225 pounds on the bench press. After witnessing Davis' workout at the Super Regional Combine at Cowboys Stadium, NFL.com and NFL Network analyst Bucky Brooks wrote: It's hard to find big, physical safeties with speed and movement skills. Davis was not only one of the most impressive athletes in attendance, but he was routinely cited as the highest-rated prospect in the building by several scouts. He certainly didn't disappoint evaluators by putting together a solid overall performance. Davis clocked 40 times in the mid-4.4-second range and continued to pop with impressive measurements in the vertical (41.5 inches) and broad jumps (10-foot-3). Most impressively, Davis showed exceptional change-of-direction quickness in the pro-agility shuttle and three-cone drills as well as during his positional workout. Davis smoothly executed turns and transitions while displaying better-than-anticipated balance and body control for a guy his size (6-2, 203 pounds). He also showed outstanding ball skills, awareness and hands in drills. With defensive coordinators searching for guys capable of matching up with the big-bodied receivers and tight ends dominating the NFL, Davis will certainly garner strong consideration as a potential mid-round selection.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I c

I completely forgot about Joyner..... besides I thought he was slated to play mosy nickel?

Mo from my understanding is supposed to be more of a project seeing as he's a converted line backer. It just seems like there are more project players at the safety position then anywhere else and it is a bit concerning.

What most people refer to as "projects" to me, translates into players the organization see as being guys who will be here for the "long term". These are examples of the "best player available" mindset, vs. the draft for filling "immediate" needs. Players like Alexander and C. Bryant both have tremendous upside, even if it doesn't happen THIS YEAR.

But since day one, Fisher and Snead have shown that they are building a roster of football players, upgrading the roster from the bottom up. Even if that means taking the so called "projects" based on their potential 2 and 3 years down the road.

Alan

Legend
Afro Ram preaching to the converted:
I completely forgot about Joyner..... besides I thought he was slated to play mostly nickel?

I'm right there with you Afro. Any player drafted below the 3rd round really doesn't have much chance for long term success. The value was there at RB in the 3rd round this year but the need was at S. Let's hope they know more than we do and their approach will work out for us. To be fair, I don't think there was anything decent available in the third round anyway. It was a really thin class at S this year. Especially at FS/non box safety.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Ok, Dahl wasnt very athletic and Davis is very athletic. Can we put that one to rest? It just said that because they're both white. Hahaha!!!

On a side note, how about that Matt Giodano TD last year? He earned his money with that one awesome play. Lol

We have a lot of safeties. I hope Davis can put it together.

RamWoodie

Legend
Cody Davis is not a guy to short change. He needs to work on his coverage skills...and was probably debriefed on that at the end of last season. He's very good of STs too...so this is a "wait and see'er".

fearsomefour

Legend
What most people refer to as "projects" to me, translates into players the organization see as being guys who will be here for the "long term". These are examples of the "best player available" mindset, vs. the draft for filling "immediate" needs. Players like Alexander and C. Bryant both have tremendous upside, even if it doesn't happen THIS YEAR.

But since day one, Fisher and Snead have shown that they are building a roster of football players, upgrading the roster from the bottom up. Even if that means taking the so called "projects" based on their potential 2 and 3 years down the road.
I agree and it's why I have been excited about their approach. They are looking for guys who fit what they want to do....sounds silly to say, but, a lot of teams get hung up on the 40 time nonsense still. Falling in love with best athlete available and not considering scheme ect. is a bad recipe (baa and BPA are two different things in my opinion).
Taking a flyer on a guy who fits what you wanna do is awesome. I really like how they are building the roster.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I agree and it's why I have been excited about their approach. They are looking for guys who fit what they want to do....sounds silly to say, but, a lot of teams get hung up on the 40 time nonsense still. Falling in love with best athlete available and not considering scheme ect. is a bad recipe (baa and BPA are two different things in my opinion).
Taking a flyer on a guy who fits what you wanna do is awesome. I really like how they are building the roster.

Lots of successful coaches/GM's select the best available athlete, then develop them. Some guys with below average measurables work out, some don't. It doesn't mean you go draft a bunch of slow guys. Lots of guys make a lot of money because all they can do is run....Some lose a lot of money because they're slow.

fearsomefour

Legend
Lots of successful coaches/GM's select the best available athlete, then develop them. Some guys with below average measurables work out, some don't. It doesn't mean you go draft a bunch of slow guys. Lots of guys make a lot of money because all they can do is run....Some lose a lot of money because they're slow.
Understood. Although, it is is all relative. Rice and Bruce both fell in the draft because they were "slow". Taking for granted anyone that is drafted has elite or close to elite athletic abilities it is important to not fall in love with a 4.3 vs a 4.4. Straight line speed, other than being a measurement of athleticism doesn't mean a ton.
The Steelers have kept their D and pass rush specifically going for years (with an occasional down year) by selecting some OLB that others didnt want, because they for what the Steelers do.