Rams Roster Preview: Cody Davis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Rams Roster Preview: Cody Davis

By Tevin Broner

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/7/13/5891421/rams-roster-preview-cody-davis

We've been previewing St. Louis Rams' players and now it's time to look at an undrafted free agent from 2013, Cody Davis. Davis didn't contribute much at safety last season, but might play a larger role this year.

The St. Louis Rams are a very young team and, as a result, it’s not uncommon to see a few late round draft picks [sometimes undrafted] stick around. Enter Cody Davis...an undrafted free agent from last year, who joined a team that didn't have much depth at safety.

Davis was an intriguing UDFA, as he'd had his share of on-field issues that lead to the absence of his name being called in the first seven rounds. For example, he was consistently late to the ball on passing plays. However, Davis is 6'2 and ran a 4.4 in the 40 yard dash at his Texas Tech pro day. Those measurements were good enough for the Rams to ink a deal with Davis. As a player, Davis identifies more with T.J. McDonald than Earl Thomas. During his college career, you wouldn’t have seen Davis making incredible interceptions, but you would've seen him making solid tackles.

Roster Battle

Davis' primary competition will be Matt Daniels and the Rams two safeties from the 2014 draft; Maurice Alexander and Christian Bryant. Daniels has been an interesting player, but he just can't stay healthy. Alexander will probably end up starting at some point during his career, but is that time now? Or years from now? Alexander is a raw project, but I do like him. Bryant I don't know much about, besides the fact that he's coming off a broken ankle, and that he was a solid starter for Ohio State. Fellow TST writer Brandon Bate wrote about the former Buckeye a couple months ago.

Since there's two backup safety positions available, my bet would be that Davis and Alexander solidify their spot on the team’s depth chart in those spots.

Will Cody Davis make the 2014 roster?

Yes he will make the roster for 2014. The Rams have nothing but uncertainty at safety this season, and while Rodney McLeod and T.J. McDonald will start, there's not much of a sure thing behind them. Plus, the Rams would be better off playing Davis - and not one of their rookies - if someone in the secondary should sustain an injury.

I doubt Davis will develop into a starter, but he should be a solid special teams player that could develop into a reliable backup. Who knows, Davis could be a better version of 2012's starting safety Craig Dahl.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Love Tevin's stuff, but we gotta cut somebody that may be a good player down the road. If Davis didn't/doesn't come to camp significantly improved, he gets the axe from me. Unless, Matt Daniels is just still physically unable to stay on the field & he can beat out McLeod.....Don't see it happening, but I've been wrong before...

Oh, that Craig Dahl comparison is just terrible....I almost wanna cut him for that...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I have Davis getting cut because I'm going with 6 CB's and 4 Safeties because of Joyner being the swing. Plus that Craig Dahl comparison just scared the Bejesus out of me!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Ok, swing it around, who's your slot corner in nickle packages?
So far I'm thinking either Reid or Gains. I really waiting on Training Camp & Pre_Season. Of course a lot can change!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So far I'm thinking either Reid or Gains. I really waiting on Training Camp & Pre_Season. Of course a lot can change!

Just from hi-light film, I don't think Gaines can hold a candle to Reid...or Joyner...or even Roberson...and I liked the other corner better than him from Florida

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I have Davis getting cut because I'm going with 6 CB's and 4 Safeties because of Joyner being the swing. Plus that Craig Dahl comparison just scared the Bejesus out of me!

The Craig Dahl comparison is so far off its comical. The only thing that Cody Davis and Craig Dahl have in common is they are both white.

Cody Davis can tackle. And about the only thing the "author" got right in this piece, is he ran a 4.4 and has better size than either McLeod and Joyner.

As far as Matt Daniels being his main competition, I respectfully disagree. While Cody Davis can play close to the LOS, Matt Daniels can ONLY play in the box. He is the epitome of a "downhill" type safety, and IMO, faces the biggest challenge of any of the returning safeties. He is very stiff, and has major issues playing the ball in the air. I have seen first hand, while in training cap, Daniels literally stop when trying to find the ball when in coverage.

McDonald AND Alexander both have been drafted over Daniels, so I see him having a tough road to make this roster.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
The Craig Dahl comparison is so far off its comical. The only thing that Cody Davis and Craig Dahl have in common is they are both white.
They do both have the same initials... :whistle:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Love Tevin's stuff, but we gotta cut somebody that may be a good player down the road. If Davis didn't/doesn't come to camp significantly improved, he gets the axe from me. Unless, Matt Daniels is just still physically unable to stay on the field & he can beat out McLeod.....Don't see it happening, but I've been wrong before...

Oh, that Craig Dahl comparison is just terrible....I almost wanna cut him for that...

I think you are gonna be wrong again. Matt Daniels isn't Cody Davis' competition to make this roster. They have "out drafted" Matt Daniels in both of the last 2 drafts. Not only due to the injury issues, but unless he is playing "in the box", he just isn't good enough in coverage to compete with the likes of Alexander, Davis, Bryant and Joyner for reps at Safety.

If anyone is going to make Davis expendable, it will be Christian Bryant, IF he is healthy enough not to spend the year on PUP/IR.

Rambition

Rookie
i predict cody will make the roster and not pick up where he left off on special teams, but end up turning some heads at safety during the course of the season.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
McDonald AND Alexander both have been drafted over Daniels, so I see him having a tough road to make this roster.

Actually never understood why Daniels is everybody's "Darling" or so it seems. Maybe because he's always hurt and has not been on the field and thus has not made a mistake. Again I hope they're all healthy and then let the chips fall where they may, but I know in the end special team coordinator John Fassel is going to have quite a bit of input on who will make the back end of the roster.

Alan

Legend
CoachO nailing it:

Cody Davis can tackle. And about the only thing the "author" got right in this piece, is he ran a 4.4 and has better size than either McLeod and Joyner.

As far as Matt Daniels being his main competition, I respectfully disagree. While Cody Davis can play close to the LOS, Matt Daniels can ONLY play in the box. He is the epitome of a "downhill" type safety, and IMO, faces the biggest challenge of any of the returning safeties. He is very stiff, and has major issues playing the ball in the air. I have seen first hand, while in training cap, Daniels literally stop when trying to find the ball when in coverage.

Totally agree with all of that Coach. I would just add that I don't think any of safeties on our roster have the ability to be good in all schemes. For a coach who wants to eliminate the the SS/FS label he sure doesn't seem to draft players that fit that mold. Reid might have filled that need 2 years ago before his knee surgeries but then he wasn't one of our draft picks either. Do you disagree with that CoachO?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Totally agree with all of that Coach. I would just add that I don't think any of safeties on our roster have the ability to be good in all schemes. For a coach who wants to eliminate the the SS/FS label he sure doesn't seem to draft players that fit that mold. Reid might have filled that need 2 years ago before his knee surgeries but then he wasn't one of our draft picks either. Do you disagree with that CoachO?

Not sure what you mean by them not drafting players that fit the mold. I think when you look at players like McDonald, Alexander and to a lesser degree, Christian Bryant, all these players have similar skill sets. I think that in time, you will see two of them on the field together, in what would then play right into the "interchangeable" concept.

As far as Reid is concerned, I don't quite understand all the "love" he is getting from many of the posters. I understand he WAS a dynamic player prior to his injuries. But he hasn't played a down of football in 2+ years. To look at his highlight reels from pre-2012 and think he will come right in and be that player again, IMO, is somewhat naive.

He has a huge hurdle to clear before I will count on him being a part of this roster in 2014.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Just from hi-light film, I don't think Gaines can hold a candle to Reid...or Joyner...or even Roberson...and I liked the other corner better than him from Florida

Going to have to disagree here. I think Gaines could have been picked in the third round. I was so excited when we drafted him, I think he'll be a steal. But this thread isn't about Gaines, it's about my favorite UDFA. I agree with Rambition's outlook on Davis. He's got a good head on his shoulders, and I think he'll continue to prove his roster spot in training camp, but ultimately end up starting this season as a special teams gunner.

Alan

Legend
CoachO with this:
Not sure what you mean by them not drafting players that fit the mold. I think when you look at players like McDonald, Alexander and to a lesser degree, Christian Bryant, all these players have similar skill sets. I think that in time, you will see two of them on the field together, in what would then play right into the "interchangeable" concept.

As far as Reid is concerned, I don't quite understand all the "love" he is getting from many of the posters. I understand he WAS a dynamic player prior to his injuries. But he hasn't played a down of football in 2+ years. To look at his highlight reels from pre-2012 and think he will come right in and be that player again, IMO, is somewhat naive.

He has a huge hurdle to clear before I will count on him being a part of this roster in 2014.
McD lasted until the 3rd round because of his inability to handle FS duties.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/mo-alexander?id=2543677
Mo Alexander:
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Explosive, punishing tackler. Very good size and movement skills. Has a 38-inch vertical jump and explosion in his legs. Covers ground fast and is surprisingly loose-hipped for a converted linebacker. Drops into the box and fits in the run game. Physical tackler. Effective blitzer. Aggressive and energetic. Has special-teams experience.

C.B. Bryant FS:
Weaknesses
Very short with a lean build, short arms and small hands. Is not a ball hawk.

So Mo is listed as a SS and nothing I've read about him would indicate he has any of the FS skills he would need to fit Fisher's ideal FS/SS hybrid. So anyway, that's what I meant about Fisher not drafting players who can handle the responsibilities of both a FS and a SS. It's fine to say you don't believe in getting players who can't do both but I've seen no evidence in his drafting that he actually believes in the whole FS/SS interchangeability thing.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
McD lasted until the 3rd round because of his inability to handle FS duties.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/mo-alexander?id=2543677
Mo Alexander:
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Explosive, punishing tackler. Very good size and movement skills. Has a 38-inch vertical jump and explosion in his legs. Covers ground fast and is surprisingly loose-hipped for a converted linebacker. Drops into the box and fits in the run game. Physical tackler. Effective blitzer. Aggressive and energetic. Has special-teams experience.

C.B. Bryant FS:
Weaknesses
Very short with a lean build, short arms and small hands. Is not a ball hawk.

So Mo is listed as a SS and nothing I've read about him would indicate he has any of the FS skills he would need to fit Fisher's ideal FS/SS hybrid. So anyway, that's what I meant about Fisher not drafting players who can handle the responsibilities of both a FS and a SS. It's fine to say you don't believe in getting players who can't do both but I've seen no evidence in his drafting that he actually believes in the whole FS/SS interchangeability thing.

What I mean, by saying they are interchangeable, is that the skill sets are all fairly similar. I think too many people hang onto the labels of FS/SS and what those distinct positions entail. I see the type player that Fisher seems to covet, are guys who may not have all of those characteristics, but players who can play the position in a way that suits his defense.

Having a true "ball hawking" Safety is becoming a luxury that most teams have moved away from. Look no further than what seems to be the model secondary right now. I ask you this, who would you label the "ball hawk" in the Seattle defense? Thomas or Chancellor? or is it more a case of both having similar qualities, both are very physical tacklers, and both are able to get where they need to b in coverage, mostly in ZONE?

It's one thing to accept the interchangeable concept, but it seems to be another to understand that letting go of the feeling that they have to have one big physical safety, while the other needs to be a ball hawk. I think what Fisher, and Williams want are guys who can do both, albeit might not be stellar in once area, but better than most overall.