Rams request interview with Cleveland oc john defilippo

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I wonder what Travis Benjamin, Joe Thomas and Alex Mack think of DeFilippo.

Athos

Legend
[QUOTE="jap, post: 693458, member: 558]

Hell, a guy like Case with a strong arm, accuracy, and vision can galvanize our offense along with TGII. We don't really need a game changing QB (although I will certainly not complain if we manage to snare one)---just a competent game manager.

Snaring a coach who can develop a passing game to effectively complement the running game and provide intelligent input on adding QB options would be a seriously positive acquisition.[/QUOTE]

Keenum is not accurate and we can and should strive for more than just a game manager.

Those types of QBs don't typically win playoff games or SBs anymore. Or win very mucho in general.

MountainRam

Rookie
Rams need to move fast to hire DeFillipo on Monday.

Simple reason? Don't let Defillipo think hmmmm.....I may get a chance to be OC for a team with QB names like Cutler, Eli Manning, Bradford, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota etc OR I could go to Rams and coach?

jap

Legend
[QUOTE="jap, post: 693458, member: 558]

Hell, a guy like Case with a strong arm, accuracy, and vision can galvanize our offense along with TGII. We don't really need a game changing QB (although I will certainly not complain if we manage to snare one)---just a competent game manager.

Snaring a coach who can develop a passing game to effectively complement the running game and provide intelligent input on adding QB options would be a seriously positive acquisition.

Keenum is not accurate and we can and should strive for more than just a game manager.

Those types of QBs don't typically win playoff games or SBs anymore. Or win very mucho in general.[/QUOTE]

OK, badly worded reply. I don't want Case as a starter as I have stated often recently. His game character and effort is decent enough so was talking about a recipe here. Start with Case's game character & effort, add strength, accuracy, vision, and stir.

The problem with attempting to get a seasoned vet with all those attributes fully developed is the cost factor and the Horns have a lot of people to try and retain this off-season, although some high-salaried vets can be parted with. Jrry's idea of going after a high profile blue-chip rookie QB is fine IF he is the real McCoy. The last rookie QB who I banged the table for was Joe Montana, and he was chosen by one of our main enemy camps. I haven't seen Goff enough to say anything decisively as yet, but it is interesting that he has been compared to Aaron Rodgers. What's left is finding young QB on the cusp of blossoming into someone special, perhaps already on our roster, and securing the in-house coaching talent perceptive enough to recognize that on-the cusp talent.

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
Cleveland's offense was able to make a lot of noise this season with limited parts and an almost non-existent running game. That's not something. Carr has turned into a upper tier QB and he was definitely not a sure thing coming in, one has to wonder how much he had to do with that. I'm not sure why guys are ragging on someone who's got a better resume than what we were toying with this year.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
I don't know much about him but, I just looked around on some Browns forums and their fans seem pretty upset at the possibility of losing this guy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Those types of QBs don't typically win playoff games or SBs anymore. Or win very mucho in general.

OK, badly worded reply. I don't want Case as a starter as I have stated often recently. His game character and effort is decent enough so was talking about a recipe here. Start with Case's game character & effort, add strength, accuracy, vision, and stir.

The problem with attempting to get a seasoned vet with all those attributes fully developed is the cost factor and the Horns have a lot of people to try and retain this off-season, although some high-salaried vets can be parted with. Jrry's idea of going after a high profile blue-chip rookie QB is fine IF he is the real McCoy. The last rookie QB who I banged the table for was Joe Montana, and he was chosen by one of our main enemy camps. I haven't seen Goff enough to say anything decisively as yet, but it is interesting that he has been compared to Aaron Rodgers. What's left is finding young QB on the cusp of blossoming into someone special, perhaps already on our roster, and securing the in-house coaching talent perceptive enough to recognize that on-the cusp talent.[/QUOTE]

Keenum had accuracy problems in the last game. Otherwise his accuracy was fine. I am not saying he is the future at QB but he can hold down the fort if needed.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Report: St. Louis Rams to Interview John DeFilippo on Monday for Offensive Coordinator Position.

On Tuesday, Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network reported that the St. Louis Rams requested permission from the Cleveland Browns to interview offensive coordinator John DeFilippo. Remember that while head coach Mike Pettine was fired, most, if not all, of his assistants are still under contract, something that is pretty standard until a new coach is hired.

Upon hearing the news, I waited in anticipation to see whether the Browns would grant DeFilippo permission to interview for a lateral move. Remember that Jimmy Haslam has already said that there were a few coaches that the organization would be asking to stick around. Would DeFilippo be one of those "names?" Apparently not, because Mary Kay Cabot reported today that DeFilippo is now scheduled to interview with the Rams on Monday, January 11th.

In his first year as an offensive coordinator in the NFL, DeFilippo was seen as a bright spot, at least in comparison to defensive coordinator Jim O'Neil and special teams coordinator Chris Tabor. There were definitely some flaws in the Browns' offense -- the thing that stands out the most is the fact that the team ranked 32nd in the red zone and 32nd in goal-to-go situations. In the red zone, they only scored touchdowns 38.3% of the time. To compare, the median team in the NFL scored touchdowns 55.1% of the time, while the best red zone team scored 69.4% of the time.

Those who watched the games got a sense that DeFilippo would learn from his mistakes, and his playcalling seemed to accommodate the Browns' offensive personnel well. One of his faults was trying to keep yle Shanahan's zone blocking scheme for three-fourths of the season, in hopes that he'd be allowing some continuity from the previous season. When he finally adapted over the final fourth of the season, the Browns' running game exploded in comparison to what they had been doing, and they actually ended up being ranked 16th in rushing yards per play on the season.

Josh McCown also set a couple of franchise records as a passer. It's not a guarantee that the Browns will lose DeFilippo, but they also apparently aren't going to hold he (and presumably other members of the staff) hostage, and understandably so.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2016/1...-to-interview-john-defilippo-on-monday-browns

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
BTW if McCown checks out medically I would entertain a trade for Foles. Foles might make more money, but only has one year left on his contract McCown has 2 years. Hire DeFilippo trade Foles for McCown and then draft Carson Wentz. WTH? It's January and once again no post season so to pontificate is all we have as Ram fans have right now.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I definitely like the idea of an outside influence.

We've seen a lot of players come and go, now on our 3rd OC... And this offense has underperformed through all of it.

I'm not saying the whole playbook needs to be scrapped, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings.
I COMPLETELY AGREE!! When everyone in the World can predict your next play, ( ie Hekker's fake punt!) you know it's time for some changes!!

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
As other have said, the Brows did quite well in offense until things went off the rails at QB. And they did it with fairly limited parts. Browns fans are upset at the possibility of losing him, which is always a good sign for teams looking to lure coaches away. He might not be a super heavyweight name but why would anyone who is come to the Rams who have no QB and are defence first? We should move fast to hire him Monday. In my opinion he is easily the best OC candidate we could realistically grab this off-season, barring something drastic happening.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
BTW if McCown checks out medically I would entertain a trade for Foles. Foles might make more money, but only has one year left on his contract McCown has 2 years. Hire DeFilippo trade Foles for McCown and then draft Carson Wentz. WTH? It's January and once again no post season so to pontificate is all we have as Ram fans have right now.

I can't imagine why any team would want to trade for Foles, except for perhaps Kansas City since they have the coach who drafted him. But they are the Browns, so I suppose it's possible and it would be a good trade for us. McCown is a pretty good QB if you can protect him so definitely concur.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It would be rather stupid to hire an emerging offensive coaching talent just to cramp his style.
Very True! And if coach vermeil can grow as a coach late in his career so can Fisher!! (I Hope!!)

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Bringing this guy in for interview and firing 5 coaches make me think Fisher got a intervention.

jap

Legend
Keenum had accuracy problems in the last game. Otherwise his accuracy was fine. I am not saying he is the future at QB but he can hold down the fort if needed.

Keenum has accuracy problems, period. His issues were not just in the last game. He was better than Nick Foles, but that isn't saying much. He is a backup guy.

In fact, I would prefer that the Horns strive to get two QB's in front of him with greater strength, accuracy, and field vision. I don't want a sizable drop-off if our eventual new starter becomes sidelined. It's aggravating to see a real pro like Wes work his route running craft to get free only to have the pass sail out of reach ahead, behind him, well over his head, or into the turf.

Sean Mannion needs to get heavily into the mix this off-season. We still have to await the fall-out from Monday's upcoming interview to see whether we may have a new OC very soon. Whoever becomes the new OC needs to get his staff in place and get involved evaluating the incumbent offensive talent while staying abreast of scouting reports of available talent at the NFL/collegiate levels---not just for QB's but the entire offense.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bringing this guy in for interview and firing 5 coaches make me think Fisher got a intervention.
I'm thinking the two are unrelated. The best case scenario on firing all 5 coaches would be to hire an OC who can hand pick his staff. If they go with the fairly unproven DeF, and Fisher hand picks the staff, it seems more along the lines of new boss, same as old boss

Ram65

Legend

Looks like Foles has two years left on his contract. Rams can cut him in 2017 with only a 1MM dead money cap hit. They are on the hook this year 2016 for 8.75MM Cap Hit and 8MM dead money if released.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/nick-foles/

YEAR AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING BONUS ROSTER BONUS WORKOUT BONUS CAP HIT DEAD CAP
rams2.png
25 $1,022,000 $1,000,000 $2,000,000 $20,000 $4,042,000 $7,792,000
rams2.png
26 $1,750,000 $1,000,000 $6,000,000 - $8,750,000 $8,000,000
rams2.png
27 $10,750
,000 $1,000,000 $1,500,000 - $13,250,000 $1,000,000
rams2.png
28 UFA

You never know but I did think any team would take Foles with that contract.