Rams players i'd love to trade :

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I know the answer from the Offensively minded folks here what they would do, but thinking along the line of trading value for value....Our greatest strength on the team is the Dline, so maybe losing the player that hurts would be Aaron Donald or to a lesser degree, Robert Quinn or Brockers. In return, we get a dream #1 WR......My first reaction would be HE.LL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (especially for dealing way a future HOFer in Aaron Donald)...So how about it? Pick the best WR you can think of, and do the trade...or, would you?

No, this is just not necessary. We can sacrifice a 2017 or 2018 draft pick because our CAP # will be quite low.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, this is just not necessary. We can sacrifice a 2017 or 2018 draft pick because our CAP # will be quite low.

Except that as the Rams resign some of their good young players the Cap # won't be so low. And since the Rams have given up so many draft picks, they won't have as many inexpensive replacements on the team, so they will need to sign more vets for depth.

There are still times to trade draft picks, but the Rams have already traded a bunch.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Except that as the Rams resign some of their good young players the Cap # won't be so low. And since the Rams have given up so many draft picks, they won't have as many inexpensive replacements on the team, so they will need to sign more vets for depth.

There are still times to trade draft picks, but the Rams have already traded a bunch.

Here's how I read our situation, the Rams have little more than about 1/3 the total potential free agents in 2017 than we had this past off-season. As it stands today, with no further trades or contracts added to the roster, we would be about $38.mil under the CAP for 2017, add our allowed carryover of approximately $12.mil. from this year, we would be close to $50.mil. under, add the near $10.mil. in annual rise for the entire league CAP, we are likely close to $60.mil under the CAP.

The following is a list of 2017 Rams UFA's, age and current yearly CAP cost :

Trumaine Johnson - CB - 26 - $13,952,000
Michael Brockers - DT - 25 - $6,146,000
Kenny Britt WR - 27 - $4,850,000
Case Keenum - QB - 28 - $3,635,000
Garrett Reynolds - G - 29 - $2,000,021
T.J. McDonald - SS - 25 - $1,833,000
Brian Quick - WR - 27 - $1,703,125
Benny Cunningham - RB - 26 - $1,671,000
Greg Zuerlein - K - 28 - $1,250,000
Chase Reynolds RB - 28 - LA - $862,500

Tru Johnson is currently being paid at 'franchise tag' numbers, either he will sign a new long term contract which would likely lower his first year (2017) CAP cost by some 40%, or he will be history, bringing us another near $14.mil under the CAP (-$74.mil under). Signing Brockers to a new long term contract may come in at close to 5 years, $50.mil., although his 1'st year (2017) may not register much higher than a $1.mil over todays CAP amount. As far as the remaining 'good young players' as you mention, who other than TJ McDonald & Benny Cunningham merit a big raise in CAP costs ?

If there is one thing the Rams front office does well, it's manage the CAP. The Rams picked the right year to give up multiple draft picks for our new rookie QB, and this is because as we will now be short two picks for 2017, we have deep resources in available CAP funds going forward. Under Fisher, we have built a team primarily on the draft, and I believe most would agree that while there have been mistakes, we have a solid base of young players to build upon. A few key players purchased in free agency is what potential play-off teams do when they feel close, and the Rams have arrived at that place. The Rams have a 2'nd round draft pick and the probability of a 3'rd, although that remains to be seen based on compensation for what was lost this year, ... we also should have more available CAP dollars than at any time I can remember, let's just hope the money is spent well. jmo.

lockdnram21

Legend
If u do trade for a receiver he better have a couple years on contract because he leaving this offense first chance. Fisher has never had a really good receiver

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If u do trade for a receiver he better have a couple years on contract because he leaving this offense first chance. Fisher has never had a really good receiver

Josh Gordon is an RFA, so we'd have him for two years minimum, ... and cheap. :yay: :deadhorse:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
naw.....I'm cool...continue to build thru the draft....with better picks...

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
naw.....I'm cool...continue to build thru the draft....with better picks...

What draft ? We are already light at CB & FS, more so with a # 1 WR. The Rams have a 2'nd round pick next year, and that's about it after the Goff trade.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Tru Johnson is currently being paid at 'franchise tag' numbers, either he will sign a new long term contract which would likely lower his first year (2017) CAP cost by some 40%, or he will be history, bringing us another near $14.mil under the CAP (-$74.mil under). .

This isn't correct, currently he is $0 against next years cap since he has no contract or roll over dead money as a franchise tag in 2016 for going into 2017. The "savings" of not retaining him next year is already in the $38mil you have above.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This isn't correct, currently he is $0 against next years cap since he has no contract or roll over dead money as a franchise tag in 2016 for going into 2017. The "savings" of not retaining him next year is already in the $38mil you have above.

Quite correct, should have left out the $14.mil CAP savings, thanks for pointing that out. Still, with or without Tru, we'll have deep pockets for available CAP, and if we re-sign him long term, his first year CAP # is likely near 30-40% lower than it is today. jmo.

lockdnram21

Legend
What draft ? We are already light at CB & FS, more so with a # 1 WR. The Rams have a 2'nd round pick next year, and that's about it after the Goff trade.
They have every pick but 1st round... only way titans get the 3rd is if we get a extra because of Janoris

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
They have every pick but 1st round... only way titans get the 3rd is if we get a extra because of Janoris

My understanding is that the Titans get the 1'st & 3'rd, but the 3'rd they get would be our Compensation pick if we get one, and if we don't get it, they receive our regular 3'rd.

lockdnram21

Legend
My understanding is that the Titans get the 1'st & 3'rd, but the 3'rd they get would be our Compensation pick if we get one, and if we don't get it, they receive our regular 3'rd.
If we don't get a comp pick they don't get it from my understanding.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I am totally with you....but I wonder if we are a minority? The second part of getting a franchise QB (hopefully Goff) is getting a prime weapon at WR...They care about Offense more than defense, because they consider defenseive ground and pound games boring, and want the high flying, scoring teams......

To make all things as even as possible ....you need the players to be at the same point in their careers (same time playing/gain reputation and so that the salary /contract elements are as equal as possible) and generally at the saem level at their respective positions....this is one of the few times I can think of such a comparison can easily be made:

Aaron Donald 14' draft pick #13
2yrs experience
20 sacks, 116 tackles, 2FF

Odell Beckham Jr. 14' draft pick #12
2yrs experience
2755yrds, 25TDs, 291 receptions

GO......

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
do you guys really think a #1 receiver in our offense is going to tear it up? haha not gonna happen

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
do you guys really think a #1 receiver in our offense is going to tear it up? haha not gonna happen

I don't know how much more it will open up, but stacking the box becomes very difficult when Gordon or another true # 1 WR needs defending.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
I don't know how much more it will open up, but stacking the box becomes very difficult when Gordon or another true # 1 WR needs defending.

I agree with that somewhat but keenum cant throw deep he just doesn't have the arm. when Goff gets it I think it could help us a lot more. oh and we would have to stop running 3 yard out routes too

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I agree with that somewhat but keenum cant throw deep he just doesn't have the arm. when Goff gets it I think it could help us a lot more. oh and we would have to stop running 3 yard out routes too

Keenum doesn't need 7 step drops to throw bombs, but he can handle 3 or 5 step drops for a simple fly or post pattern. It doesn't have to be often, but enough to stretch the field and force coverage which also helps open up our running game. While Goff's arm is the ideal, Keenum still has skills enough to get the ball to a receiver, the problem we have are with those receivers going up and getting it or managing to hang onto it. jmo.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Quite correct, should have left out the $14.mil CAP savings, thanks for pointing that out. Still, with or without Tru, we'll have deep pockets for available CAP, and if we re-sign him long term, his first year CAP # is likely near 30-40% lower than it is today. jmo.

Austin's contract info seems to be available now:
http://overthecap.com/player/tavon-austin/2189/
Austin is now a $15m hit for 2017.

SaCkaveli20

Rookie
Name
Chris
Being a WR guy. (I love them. Randy Moss is my favorite player of all time) I would NOT trade Donald for any receiver in the league. The ONLY player I would even entertain trading Donald for would be Aaron Rodgers. Obviously that's a fantasy world, and not even sure I would do that.
Aaron Donald for President.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Austin's contract info seems to be available now:
http://overthecap.com/player/tavon-austin/2189/
Austin is now a $15m hit for 2017.

Spotrac has it about $2.mil less, and both Austin's & Ogletree's 5'th year option CAP hits had already been counted towards the total 2017 CAP in my earlier estimates. I believe Austin's new 4 year contract begins in 2018 and is extended thru 2021.
I don't have the 2017 5'th year option salaries on hand, so i've been using the Spotrac's figures at WR & MLB.