Rams finalizing trade for mark barron

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
RamFan503 wishing for some of our East coast ribs:
And no amount of NE parboiled rib like substance is going to change that.
:mad: :LOL:
Did I ever tell you my secret recipe for my BBQ sauce?

Alan

Legend
RamFan503 wishing for more:
And by wanting those ribs, I take it you mean the ribs that were named best BBQ in the Pacific Northwest by Fodor's Travel Guide and not those things
Pacific Northwest eh? Hey, nothing wrong with being a regional star is there. :LOL:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pacific Northwest eh? Hey, nothing wrong with being a regional star is there. :LOL:

I will be happy to solve this problem. Both of you give me the best ribs you can make and I'll judge them. ;)

Alan

Legend
jrry32 willing to put up with anything for my ribs:
I'll take this offer. I'm cool with listening to you yack for hours. Not enough Rams fans in my neck of the woods. :)
Spring. I start my barbecuing May 1.
7 Tamarack Lane Litchfield NH. Bring the family and I'll torture them all equally. :LOL: :cheers:

RamWoodie

Legend
Nah. Just not a fan of Tavon. Don't think he'll ever do anything to warrant the pick on this team. He might with someone else but certainly not with Schotty.
That's ok...you're entitled to have that opinion...but if you're objective there's NO WAY to say the Rams have made the best use of Tavon's skills. I would be willing to say when they just play the kid, he'll produce. Playing him in special situations as they do, simply makes the defense focus on him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yea, I really want to see Joyner at FS. When Jenkins and Johnson return, we'll have those two and Gaines. Gaines can play the slot or Jenkins can. Joyner at FS gives us more range, ball-skills, and a freaking missile.

I also have to side more towards Alan's side on McDonald, I wasn't impressed with him at FS in college.
I have to admit that I don't see a lot of SEC and east coast action. Did you really watch much play from Pac 12 teams? I mean other than QB and WR? I almost exclusively watch Pac 12 (10) play and the guy was always a team leader and known as someone teams just didn't throw at - especially when he was playing FS.

Again - I'm not saying he was the best true FS available in that draft but he was far from a liability in pass coverage during his college years. His Junior year he was being talked about as a potential great one and some questioned whether he would return for his senior year. Then the Kiffin experiment happened. From that I think the one possible drawback was that TJ was asked to spend more time in the weight room and add a few pounds to fill the new role. I just don't think that will stop him from being a very good safety for our team when he is asked to play both FS and SS depending on the situation.

RamBill

Legend
Rams acquire safety Barron from Tampa Bay
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_e5a7d91a-568d-5142-97d6-9282161837f4.html

It was not a blockbuster move by any stretch of the imagination, but the acquisition of Tampa Bay safety Mark Barron by the Rams in exchange for a pair of 2014 draft picks was the "headliner" of Tuesday's trade deadline day in the NFL.

It's a curious move in the short-term, because Barron plays strong safety. The Rams already have a young up-and-coming strong safety in T.J. McDonald. But it certainly provides an upgrade of overall talent in the secondary over the long-term.

Barron, who turned 25 on Monday, was the No. 7 overall pick by Tampa Bay in the 2012 draft. He is the highest-drafted defensive back in school history at Alabama, where he was a two-time All-American and two-time national champion.

In the NFL, he had started 37 of a possible 39 games for the Buccaneers, making the Pro Football Writers of America all-rookie team when he recorded 88 tackles, 10 pass breakups, and an interception.

Last season he had an identical tackle total (88), with two sacks, two interceptions, and three breakups. In seven games this season for the Bucs, he had 49 tackles and three breakups.

According to observers in Tampa Bay, Barron didn't excel in coverage and didn't seem like a fit in the Cover 2-based defensive scheme of new Buccaneers head coach Lovie Smith.

At 6-2, 213, Barron is a collision player. He'll miss a tackle from time to time, but packs a wallop on contact. The consensus in Tampa seemed to be that Barron had plenty of potential but never played up to that potential. Nonetheless, there was some surprise that the Bucs gave up on him after just 2 1/2 seasons. But sometimes that's the case when there are regime changes as was the case in Tampa.

The Bucs received fourth- and sixth-round picks from the Rams in exchange for Barron.

How the Rams use Barron this season remains to be seen. It's hard to imagine Barron replacing strong safety T.J. McDonald, a third-round draft pick in 2013 who already is one of the Rams' better defensive players and arguably their best defensive back.

The Rams feel that McDonald is capable of playing free safety even though he's got a strong safety's frame at 6-2, 219.

Free safety Rodney McLeod suffered a knee injury, what has been described as a sprained MCL, Sunday in Kansas City. However, it's not believed to be a serious injury, but rather something that might sideline him for a week or two _ if at all.

Barron is in the third year of his original four-year deal coming out of college, so the Rams inherit about $900,000 of his $1.705 million base salary for 2014. He's due to make a base of $2.3 million in 2015.

One other factor to be considered in the trade for Barron: The 2015 draft does not look strong at the safety position. At this point, the feeling by some at Rams Park is that there may not be a safety of Barron's caliber available in the '15 draft.

The Rams made several other moves Tuesday, but still have some work to be done. The team released QB Case Keenum from the 53-man roster, and released sixth-round draft pick Garrett Gilbert from the practice squad.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to admit that I don't see a lot of SEC and east coast action. Did you really watch much play from Pac 12 teams? I mean other than QB and WR? I almost exclusively watch Pac 12 (10) play and the guy was always a team leader and known as someone teams just didn't throw at - especially when he was playing FS.

Again - I'm not saying he was the best true FS available in that draft but he was far from a liability in pass coverage during his college years. His Junior year he was being talked about as a potential great one and some questioned whether he would return for his senior year. Then the Kiffin experiment happened. From that I think the one possible drawback was that TJ was asked to spend more time in the weight room and add a few pounds to fill the new role. I just don't think that will stop him from being a very good safety for our team when he is asked to play both FS and SS depending on the situation.

Yes.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I have to say - I love this trade. Mark Barron was a special talent when he came out and just bc he want a fit in TB doesn't mean he isn't a special talent now.

Classic case of buy low here. A 4th and a 6th - you need to look at how often those kind of pics pan out - way more often than being EJ Gaines and Mo Alexander, it is Greg Salas and Fendi Onobun.

I thought the Rams would sell before buying / but they stayed young, they stayed cheap / and they got more talented.

Good day for us.

Tweed335

UDFA
Boy, we gotta hit on at least one of these trades, or FA's, right?

I like this move. I immediately thought of Harper when I heard about this trade. I was living in Nola when GW was there and the grey beard of Harper excelled. The Saints won with D that year.

Is it bad that I cringe at Barron's seemingly sturdy starting record since he's headed for the Rams? I just hope his performance and durability can continue, perhaps, even improve. With just one player that we've acquired via trade, or free agency, it would be nice if it worked out.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yawn. I've beat two teams that went on to win the KC Royal and the Jack Daniels. Regional indeed. :mustache:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It was not a blockbuster move by any stretch of the imagination, but the acquisition of Tampa Bay safety Mark Barron by the Rams in exchange for a pair of 2014 draft picks
Huh. Wonder who's leaving then. o_O

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to say - I love this trade. Mark Barron was a special talent when he came out and just bc he want a fit in TB doesn't mean he isn't a special talent now.

Classic case of buy low here. A 4th and a 6th - you need to look at how often those kind of pics pan out - way more often than being EJ Gaines and Mo Alexander, it is Greg Salas and Fendi Onobun.

I thought the Rams would sell before buying / but they stayed young, they stayed cheap / and they got more talented.

Good day for us.

Gotta agree that we're buying low on an extremely talented player. Look at Barksdale. Put in a system that didn't fit him, cut, and has turned into a good player here in a scheme that fits his skill-set. Lets hope they can find a way to work Barron in like that.

fearsomefour

Legend
They might both be strong against the run, but Barron's physical attributes and ceiling far exceeds Mikell's.
Well especially at this point. It is a bit of a concern to me that the Bucs are done with him in such a short period of time. We will see.