Rams 2016 Free Safety candidates Questions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If we lose him, I go after Tashaun Gipson.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
If they lose Mcleod, Joyner will go deep as Gaines will displace Joyner at slot CB, and that would be a good thing!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is premature talk without knowing what money the players are asking for. Ideally they are able to resign the whole secondary. Like @ramfan46 said there are cuts that can be made elsewhere. Long, Cook, Saffold, but ideally I would only cut Cook, Long and Foles.

James Laurinitis should not be cut without an adequate replacement on board. Is Darren Bates good enough to be the starting mlb? How about Hager? If not then they cannot cut JL until a drafted mlb is in the fold.

Saffold could be a great swingman. He can play allover the line, and is leader for the unit. Everyone speaks highly of Saffold. Valuable backup?

Barron if possible they should keep him. He is a star talent. The team needs those types of players.

TJ with shoulder surgery I'd argue that he could be a FA loss. Maurice Alexander could fill his role and he's healthy. Barron could fill it. One drawback is TJ is the leader of the secondary, but could get offered bigger money than expected.

Jenkins and Tru should be priorities but if it is one or the other I favor Tru. Jenkins sounds like he wants to score big in the off-season.

McLeod could surprise in what he will command. I'd try to resign him. Maybe Alexander could play his role. But, why train these guys and let them walk?

Long looks done. Watching him Chase plays is painful. But is that because he is not healthy?

Cook no hands or concentration, but I wouldn't be surprised if they keep him. They don't have a similar threat at TE and his blocking has improved as the season went on. Defenses still fear him. But he hasn't earned his pay. I would cut him.

Foles cut

So. Long, Foles, and Cook get cut. JL, Saffold depending on the development of other depth players. Bring back the secondary.

If the Rams had a starting QB on the roster, I would think they could land a replacement for JJ or JL in round 1. But that pick may have to go to QB. Maybe they can franchise JJ and keep him for one year. That buys time to see if EJ Gaines can play at a high level again or if he needs more time to heal. If that question is answered they may draft a corner in round 1 in 2017. If they don't have to trade their two second rounders to move up, then maybe DE, MLB or DB gets addressed in the draft.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I agree that McLeod has to be considered the one that got away if it means losing either JJ, Tru or Barron.
You have to think in terms of both position value and talent.
CB > SS/FS. It's simply more difficult to replace a quality corner and you need at least two good ones. Gaines had a good rookie year but to count on him replacing either JJ or Tru is rolling the dice a bit.

We've got TJ under contract and a couple young talented guys being developed among our safeties.

CB > OLB/hybrid SS/sub-package guy
But...Barron is probably the more talented football player among all these guys, and our lack of depth behind Ogletree(coming off the injury) Laurinaitis(who is slowing down) and Ayers(if he returns at all) is lacking.

1. Tru J
2. JJ
3. Barron
4. McLeod

JMO

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
McLeod has developed nicely but if he ask for to much money he should not be resigned.Does anyone think McDonald can play the position Barron was.playing if we lose him to FA.If so then Alexander would take TJ spot although he did seem a little lost at times this year.We have talent in the secondary but we have to try to retain our core players.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One good thing about Fisher is that he knows corners and safeties. I trust he'll do the right thing. That said... McLeod is ok but nothing special. If some other team wants to throw 3-4 million at him let him walk. It's time we try Cody Davis or Christian Bryant or Lamarcus Joyner at FS. Re SS... Fish has got some decisions to make... Barron, TJ (next year), Mo... one of these guys is not going to be here next year and it might be Barron (which sucks). MOJO RAM is right about corners being more important than safeties... we need to resign JJ and Tru although I think JJ walks to the highest bidder. This is the business side of football I don't like (besides relocation)... we can't even keep our own players. We develop them for a couple of years, and then some of them hold us hostage to the highest bidder. I can only hope that some of these guys understand that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
..............James Laurinitis should not be cut without an adequate replacement on board. Is Darren Bates good enough to be the starting mlb? How about Hager? If not then they cannot cut JL until a drafted mlb is in the fold. If they don't have to trade their two second rounders to move up, then maybe DE, MLB or DB gets addressed in the draft.

So either Gregg has to find a adequate replacement or keep JL right? Are we so absolutely sure that the Rams can afford to continue to play James Laurinaitis @ his 15 million cap hit over the next two seasons:thinking:

Then the quick next question here & its a biggy....Can the defense manage to bear the load to cover up the weak poor slow performances that were turned in each & every week by JL in 2015 :notsure: particularly NOW .....after our 2015 defense roster suffers looses with our starters to free agency:huh: ......I need to remind myself that the Rams have 7 (SEVEN) main players & play-makers from our 2015 defense who will be UFA's! All of those 7 UFA's assisted JL with his shortcomings.

IMO ....Keeping JL as your starting MLB'er hurts this team in two major ways. His cap hit cost is off the charts in contrast to what the Rams get in return for his on field performance alone then add in the fact that his cap funds could be used to retain a strong defensive play maker but now you have to let that Ram play-maker walk??? All of which will make contribute JL's 2016 performance to help in his decline & harder to compensate. Sure looks like a great plan if you want a weaker defensive product on the field each Sunday in the 2016 season:palm:

So I would agree with you Elmgrovegnome that the best scenario is find an adequate replacement on board for JL. When you review the Work Play History Resume's of current Ram LB'ers.....we may not have to look afar & away here. Rams have four Lb'ers signed in 2016 that have played inside LB'er.

#1-Alec Ogletree (3 yrs starting ILB'er @ UGA), #2- Akeem Ayers (played ISLB'er last seasons Pats SB win & proved that he could overcome those 2nd tier level OL blocks due to his large size & power) & #3- Bryce Hager (starting 3 yr starting MLB & QB of the defense) & #4- Cameron Lynch (2 yr starter @ MLB), even #5- Darren Bates has played inside LB'er in the Rams goal line defenses the last two seasons, in college he was an in the box SS.

Looks to me the Rams have some easy very good options available to them @ MLB'er. I believe all of whom would be an instant upgrade performance @ MLB'er but the real serious question is..... which of our 11 defensive players will be able to make the call on the field before the snaps.

Last edited:

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
So either Gregg has to find a adequate replacement or keep JL right? Are we so absolutely sure that the Rams can afford to continue to play James Laurinaitis @ his 15 million cap hit over the next two seasons:thinking:

Then the quick next question here & its a biggy....Can the defense manage to bear the load to cover up the weak poor slow performances that were turned in each & every week by JL in 2015 :notsure: particularly NOW .....after our 2015 defense roster suffers looses with our starters to free agency:huh: ......I need to remind myself that the Rams have 7 (SEVEN) main players & play-makers from our 2015 defense who will be UFA's! All of those 7 UFA's assisted JL with his shortcomings.

IMO ....Keeping JL as your starting MLB'er hurts this team in two major ways. His cap hit cost is off the charts in contrast to what the Rams get in return for his on field performance alone then add in the fact that his cap funds could be used to retain a strong defensive play maker but now you have to let that Ram play-maker walk??? All of which will make contribute JL's 2016 performance to help in his decline & harder to compensate. Sure looks like a great plan if you want a weaker defensive product on the field each Sunday in the 2016 season:palm:

So I would agree with you Elmgrovegnome that the best scenario is find an adequate replacement on board for JL. When you review the Work Play History Resume's of current Ram LB'ers.....we may not have to look afar & away here. Rams have four Lb'ers signed in 2016 that have played inside LB'er.

#1-Alec Ogletree (3 yrs starting ILB'er @ UGA), #2- Akeem Ayers (played ISLB'er last seasons Pats SB win & proved that he could overcome those 2nd tier level OL blocks due to his large size & power) & #3- Bryce Hager (starting 3 yr starting MLB & QB of the defense) & #4- Cameron Lynch (2 yr starter @ MLB), even #5- Darren Bates has played inside LB'er in the Rams goal line defenses the last two seasons, in college he was an in the box SS.

Looks to me the Rams have some easy very good options available to them @ MLB'er. I believe all of whom would be an instant upgrade performance @ MLB'er but the real serious question is..... which of our 11 defensive players will be able to make the call on the field before the snaps.

This so much. JL55 looks so bad to me that it will be addition by subtraction at this point. He just can't run at all anymore. He never could shed a block to begin with. Draft a MLB in the 2nd or 3rd round and if they aren't ready, play Tree in the middle and use JL55 money to resign Barron. The new guy could sit behind Tree until he's ready. Also, I liked what I saw of Hager last preseason on D. He was always around the ball. He seemed to have decent speed as well.

You'd still have Tree, Ayers, Barron, Hager, Lynch and Bates. A new high round pick would add to the competition and strengthen the unit overall. My vote would be to let Tree or McLeod call the D if he's resigned. Weddle had no problems calling the D for the Chargers on the back end. TJ seems like he has a strong enough football mind to call the D as well.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
If the Rams make the right roster adjustments they can afford to resign all the young talent they need too. CL, JL and Cook all need to be restructured, traded or cut.

Of course this is all just my opinion lol.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

There is only one MLB capable player on the roster besides JL. That is Hager IMO. But that is only judging from preseason. The team needs a linebacker that is very strong at the point of attack and that can move laterally. That is not Ogletree or Ayers. Ogletree is best in space. Ayers is more of a pass rusher than a block shedding run stuffer. Bates played in the middle as the primary backup and he didn't look good doing it. Believe me, I want both Chris Long and Laurinitis replaced. But James is the QB of the defense. I really wish they were able to have landed CJ Mosely when they tried to trade up with the Ravens, but it just didn't happen. He was all over the field and stout in the middle against the Rams. That is what they need. I really don't believe it is on the roster right now. Maybe a free agent? But just getting rid of JL without a guy that you know can handle the QBing duties and be good in the middle it is a risk IMO, despite him not playing so well this past season. (although he was good early in the year)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Draft a MLB in the 2nd or 3rd round and if they aren't ready
I have no issues with drafting a MLB'er but using a second day draft pick in May might me premature. We could have a bona fide replacement or contenders already here signed wearing a LA Ram uni. I would prefer to utilize our 4th rd'er on MLB'ers like Jared Norris Utah State or Blake Martinez of Stanford types.
....play Tree in the middle and use JL55 money to resign Barron.
I agree fully that using some of JL cap $$$ to retain Mark Barron even if its just for 1 more season.... would be brilliant:yess:. But would prefer to keep Tree on the outside where his skills are far best suited. But yes Tree could easily play MLB.
I liked what I saw of Hager last preseason on D. He was always around the ball. He seemed to have decent speed as well.
Bryce Hager by far has the best chance to replace JL brain power before the snap. He is a smaller Lb'er 6-1/235 pounder but smaller Lb'ers fit what Gregg Williams desires. I do not believe that Gregg wants a 6-2 255 pounder like Ragland playing his middle.