Rams 2016 Free Safety candidates Questions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
As most know Fisher does not have his top 2 free safeties (since 2013 season) under contract now. Both Rod McLeod & Cody Davis will be entering Free Agency in March. Cody Davis should be a a good possibility resign if Fisher desires. Is there anyone who would disagree with that statement. Can Cody Davis be considered a starter @ FS in 2016?

The Rod McLeod resigning would appear to be much more of an issue. Rod McLeod can play 3 NFL secondary positions and has 233 tackles in his last 3 seasons as a starter. Rod is one of the best hard hitting tacklers in the NFL @ the deep safety position. Rod's biggest weakness ..total lack of INT's. In previous four seasons a resign of Rod would have been a high probability but this 2016 Ram FA's is huge and will be highly costly. Based on previous FA decisions makes most members think this is a done deal. :cautious: Fisher will also have to resign & invest in starting strong safety TJ McDonald next yr at this time then add in that safety Mo Alexander who will be entering his 3rd season has many starts under his belt now.

Just how much future cap $$$ will Fisher tie up in both safety positions Rod & TJ at the sake of other needy Ram positions? Including the cap $$$ tied up in JJ & Tru? If they tie up all available safety cap funds in Rod how can they keep TJ McDonald? Could Fisher just go into the 2016 season absent Rod and go conservative with a Main Five of McDonald, Alexander, Bryant, Davis & Joyner? Could Fisher get two good stating safeties from those five?:bueller:

Signed Prospects:

Lamarcus Joyner -5-8/184 lbs 25/2 2016 cap hit $1,439,155 million.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737136/lamarcus-joyner
http://www.nfl.com/player/lamarcusjoyner/2543492/draft
http://www.nfl.com/player/lamarcusjoyner/2543492/combine

Christian Bryant-5-9/198 lbs 23/2 2016 cap hit $525,000 K
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737398/christian-bryant
UN-signed former Ram FS:
Rodney McLeod - 5-10/195 lbs 25-5 currently UFA past 2015 cap hit-$2,356,000 million

Cody Davis 6-1/206 lbs 26/4 currently RFA past 2015 cap hit -$585,000 K

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Can Cody Davis be considered a starter @ FS in 2016?
Let'em walk Boni....I'm putting TJ at Free in 2016....the main guys we need to sign are Barron, Tru Johnson, and J. Jenkins in that order....

McLeod has improved, but lets see how much he likes being HERE....Cody Davis is JAG....

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Let'em walk Boni....I'm putting TJ at Free in 2016....the main guys we need to sign are Barron, Tru Johnson, and J. Jenkins in that order....

McLeod has improved, but lets see how much he likes being HERE....Cody Davis is JAG....
I couldn't agree more especially about Cody Davis

Rams43

Hall of Fame
McLeod is a "want", but not a "need".

At most, he is 5th in line for resigning behind TruJo, Jenkins, Barron, and Hayes.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
We have developed McLeod.. Keep talking.. You will regret letting him get away. I could be wrong and you can tell me that later. I've seen nothing but improvement from him. Yes, he still has issues, but a good solid player right now.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don

I don't know if TJ is quite athletic enough for a FS he is a bit stiff and slow in his hip rotation to take on the cover duties of an FS. We are blessed with a pretty stacked secondary and some good options. A little off topic but I would love to get a guy like Su'a Cravens to add to the secondary as a S.S / OLB. cheaper than keeping Barron behind A.O and a nice project to work with if Barron asks for the moon. Unfortunately I don't think we can add a hybrid that high in the draft.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
As most know Fisher does not have his top 2 free safeties (since 2013 season) under contract now. Both Rod McLeod & Cody Davis will be entering Free Agency in March. Cody Davis should be a a good possibility resign if Fisher desires. Is there anyone who would disagree with that statement
I think TJ McDonald and Barron are our Top 2 Safeties, without any doubt! Not say McLeod and Davis are Bad!! Just who's the best!

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have developed McLeod.. Keep talking.. You will regret letting him get away. I could be wrong and you can tell me that later. I've seen nothing but improvement from him. Yes, he still has issues, but a good solid player right now.
Pretty sure he was a top 10 free safety this year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams have the talent and depth to let Rodney walk. TJ to his spot. Mo to TJs role. And if they bring back Barron they are fine.

CB is another story.

This is not a great defense yet, also. Re-signing everyone would be foolish. Gotta use that depth.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I have also been pondering what the Rams will do at FS this offseason.

Until McLeod emerged the Rams always seemed to be in search of a reliable FS, and even though McLeod appears to have settled into the job, I think he is more expendable than both Jenkins and Johnson at CB because the Rams have more options for his replacement and good CBs are more valuable. If the Rams want to bring back Davis they can tender him and it is doubtful another team will try to sign him to a multi year contract. With Cody Davis and Christian Bryant waiting in the wings at least the Rams will have options if McLeod leaves. Although we have not seen enough of Davis or Bryant to know what they really offer as full-time starters at least they have knowledge of Williams' system.

If the Rams were going to spend some $$ on the FS position I would prefer to see Eric Weddle in horns over resigning McLeod. Also if I had to choose, I think bringing back McDonald next year is much higher priority than keeping McLeod this year.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
You want to let a top 10 safety walk? Doubtful. I see either Johnson or Jenkins getting let go. Everyone else is too important to the defense. Let's not weaken what we have already. Sign the in house guys and upgrade the offense.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You want to let a top 10 safety walk? Doubtful. I see either Johnson or Jenkins getting let go. Everyone else is too important to the defense. Let's not weaken what we have already. Sign the in house guys and upgrade the offense.
I would say that Rod McLeod is a sure top 5 IMO. Check out the current UFA FS's ....
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/free-safety/

OK would you advocate a good chunk of cap funds be sent to the free safety position. Whats in the plan next yr at this time on the strong safety post are you going to let our strong safety TJ McDonald walk as a UFA ? If not Rams would dump major chunks of cap funds into the two safety posts...something that the big two (Fisher/Snead) have said in the past they did not have high on where they would invest cap funds in. (Safety posts)

If we use the cap funds on Free Safety then the Rams stand to loose one of the two UFA CB's then its highly probable that EJ Gaines would move into what ever vacant corner post is left. Anyone think different? That would make third yr DB Lamarcus Joyner staying in the Nickel corner post & thus removed from any Free Safety starting post contentions. How do you all feel about 2nd yr Safety Christian Bryant? Does he not have some interesting talents & skills to bring to the table? He is signed & will cost very little.

LACHAMP46 has been banging the drum for TJ McDonald to move back deep....would this not place many of his best skills & talents far away from where his special talents would be use less often. I think that TJ Mc Donald can play deep safety without too many issues so I agree with you LACHAMP46 & can see why this could work ........but I also think he is a much better.....future all pro @ STRONG SAFETY.

Note:TJ McDonald needs to learn to play smarter & not be so reckless that involves significant danger to other fellow Rams players ask Alec Ogletree & Janoris Jenkins. Whereas Rod McLeod seems to have sharpened his recklessness & got it fine-turned towards more opponents.

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend
Exactly. Don't overthink it, McLeod has developed into a solid player

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
McLeod needs to be resigned. He's the only one currently on the roster that has the hips and feet to play Single High consistently. TJ is a SS. If you put him back deep he will be a liability in coverage against any decent route runner. I know everyone wants Earl Thomas to walk through the door, but McLeod ain't no slouch. He has FS, ST and Nickel ability when needed. SS's are easy to find IMO. A good Free isn't easy to find. A great one is like finding a specific drop of water in a lake. Also resign Cody Davis, he is a ST stud and is a good backup for Hot Rod. Yeah I just called our FS Hot Rod. I'd be very aggressive trying to keep this secondary intact. Chris Long, Saffold, Cook and JL55 would all go to make the necessary cap room to keep Johson, Jenks, McLeod, Barron and Hayes.

Right now, I'd keep McLeod over TJ Mac. He's healthy, ascending and no else on the roster is close to his ability at FS except possibly Joyner and he's settling into the Nickel role. You have Mo Alexander behind TJ and I think Mo could replace TJ easier than a new guy coming in to replace McLeod. McLeod isn't a star, but he's very important to the stability of the secondary IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams should bring back McLeod if his demands are reasonable. He's a solid FS. T.J. McDonald should not be playing FS. Doesn't make nearly as good a use of his skill-set.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rams should bring back McLeod if his demands are reasonable. He's a solid FS. T.J. McDonald should not be playing FS. Doesn't make nearly as good a use of his skill-set.

I agree w/jrry on this.

McLeod is a pretty good fit for William's back end.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Getting McLeod back would be awesome. I think he's up there on the priority list.

He's a talent that the Rams have developed very well.

Hopefully the rest of the league is sleeping on him and his contract doesn't get blown up too much.