Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. But saying they had no part in losing was what my original response was. The defense is at fault for that loss. Had that not happened and allowed an immense TOP we have no clue what the offense would have been. McVay called an offense like they were down 21 points. If we were ahead would he have called something different. Who knows? So yes, it's the crucial part of the game the morale changer and the flow of the game changed at that point. So yeah that is on the defense.
So basically, unless the team shuts out the opponent, the defense has some share of the blame for the loss?f

Ellard80

Legend
So basically, unless the team shuts out the opponent, the defense has some share of the blame for the loss?f
bro that is textbook strawman.

The point is that the defense fell apart in the 4th quarter.

One example would be how they had the ball with over 5:31 left and ran out the entire clock with two time outs and 2 min warning.

That's bad defense. This has happened in other games as well.

The offense is MORE to blame for sure - but to say the defense has no blame at all in the last loss is inacccurate.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

One example would be how they had the ball with over 5:31 left and ran out the entire clock with two time outs and 2 min warning.

The offense is MORE to blame for sure - but to say the defense has no blame at all in the last loss is inacccurate.
So you accuse me of a straw man and follow up with one of your own? Classic...
It was an exaggeration to make a point. I would think that is very obvious. (Just like your post) And BTW, the post I responded to was in reference to the Eagles game.
The defense this year has played very well, despite playing with little in the way of resources.
Being critical of Morris this year is nothing more than following an agenda, he has worked wonders with what he has and deserves the credit for it.
As for the Pitt game, the D disappointed in the 4th Q for sure but the reality is that they did their job for 3 quarters and were only in a bad spot because of the offense inadequacy.
Alas, whether some blame is placed the D's feet, it still doesnt minimize Morris getting the most out of them

Ellard80

Legend
So you accuse me of a straw man and follow up with one of your own? Classic...
It was an exaggeration to make a point. I would think that is very obvious. (Just like your post) And BTW, the post I responded to was in reference to the Eagles game.
The defense this year has played very well, despite playing with little in the way of resources.
Being critical of Morris this year is nothing more than following an agenda, he has worked wonders with what he has and deserves the credit for it.
As for the Pitt game, the D disappointed in the 4th Q for sure but the reality is that they did their job for 3 quarters and were only in a bad spot because of the offense inadequacy.
Alas, whether some blame is placed the D's feet, it still doesnt minimize Morris getting the most out of them
lol.... yeah I didn't re-make any argument you made, so no strawman here.

I was responding to a statement you made about something.

Which now you are saying was an "Exaggeration"?

but I actually agree with you partially, just the statement you made before was ridiculous hyperbole.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
No. But saying they had no part in losing was what my original response was. The defense is at fault for that loss. Had that not happened and allowed an immense TOP we have no clue what the offense would have been. McVay called an offense like they were down 21 points. If we were ahead would he have called something different. Who knows? So yes, it's the crucial part of the game the morale changer and the flow of the game changed at that point. So yeah that is on the defense.

Who said the defense has no blame?

I said, "we haven't lost a game because of the defense"...which doesn't mean they are blameless. It means you can look at every loss and the offense, McVay's offense, the high powered Rams offense did diddly squat.

The Philly game was brought up as an example of the defense "losing a game" because they allowed a TD drive in 30 seconds at the end of the first half. But our vaunted offense was shutout in the 2nd half as the defense allowed a measly 6 points. We lost 3 games by scoring 17 points or less. That's not RAM football. During McVay's tenure as our head coach, we've had some good defenses but we've only won 3 games when scoring less than 20 points in 7 years. In the game vs SF we lost with 23, we kicked a FG as time expired, down 10 points. So in reality, we scored 20 points while we were still in that one. The offense pulled the defense's ass out of the fire at Indy in OT but.....our offense scored 3 points in the 2nd half before OT. Again, not Rams football. The defense shut down Seattle and Arizona in two of our 3 wins.

I stand by my statement, we haven't lost a game because of the defense. That's pretty special since our defense is so young and was supposed to suck, if we listened to Rams fans (and others) prior to the season. Our offense has been inept in every loss this season. Show me a game the offense played marginally well that we lost.

TexasRam

Legend
I think Raheem has done a nice job this year considering the talent he is working with. The lack of pass rush and the terrible CB play.

It’s hard to say this but the offense has not been good enough. Injuries, Mcvay, Stafford and now Kupp this last week have screwed the pooch affecting the W-L column.

Having said that, Morris is responsible for not helping the offense out by running a passive scheme that creates nearly no turnovers or feild
Position advantage. Further, he’s sticking with underperformers too long rather then rotating in alternatives.

It’s true that Morris plays a safe defense that relies on the offense to do the heavy lifting. The offense just can’t deliver. Both units are at fault.

Morris is an average DC. His PPG is good but his lack of aggression is poor so it leaves his stats looking good but the overall team outcome worse then it could be.

He is definitely not an elite DC. But he’s serviceable. He’s like a Havenstein. Let’s see how Oldnotdead likes that comparison LOL.

Ellard80

Legend
Who said the defense has no blame?

I said, "we haven't lost a game because of the defense"...which doesn't mean they are blameless. It means you can look at every loss and the offense, McVay's offense, the high powered Rams offense did diddly squat.

The Philly game was brought up as an example of the defense "losing a game" because they allowed a TD drive in 30 seconds at the end of the first half. But our vaunted offense was shutout in the 2nd half as the defense allowed a measly 6 points. We lost 3 games by scoring 17 points or less. That's not RAM football. During McVay's tenure as our head coach, we've had some good defenses but we've only won 3 games when scoring less than 20 points in 7 years. In the game vs SF we lost with 23, we kicked a FG as time expired, down 10 points. So in reality, we scored 20 points while we were still in that one. The offense pulled the defense's ass out of the fire at Indy in OT but.....our offense scored 3 points in the 2nd half before OT. Again, not Rams football. The defense shut down Seattle and Arizona in two of our 3 wins.

I stand by my statement, we haven't lost a game because of the defense. That's pretty special since our defense is so young and was supposed to suck, if we listened to Rams fans (and others) prior to the season. Our offense has been inept in every loss this season. Show me a game the offense played marginally well that we lost.
lol, you responding to wrong person i was responding to dieter.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
No but allowing a team to go down the field and score a TD in less than 38 seconds does.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I don't understand why some fans want to point at the D. Is it because fans don't want to criticize McVay and his offense? Or Stafford? Or they just like railing on Morris?

The D has played above their head.....or at least above expectations. Way above. The offense is consistently inconsistent. They look like two completely different teams before and after the half. Sometimes that's a very good thing. Sometimes it's very bad. And the only time they've looked the same is when they've sucked for 60 minutes.

Offense is McVay's expertise so I have hope he'll straighten it out. Otherwise, there's always Morris to scapegoat. Or Kendricks. Or Hoecht but that might be a bit off base after Sunday.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't understand why some fans want to point at the D. Is it because fans don't want to criticize McVay and his offense? Or Stafford? Or they just like railing on Morris?

The D has played above their head.....or at least above expectations. Way above. The offense is consistently inconsistent. They look like two completely different teams before and after the half. Sometimes that's a very good thing. Sometimes it's very bad. And the only time they've looked the same is when they've sucked for 60 minutes.

Offense is McVay's expertise so I have hope he'll straighten it out. Otherwise, there's always Morris to scapegoat. Or Kendricks. Or Hoecht but that might be a bit off base after Sunday.
6th round & and Vet min corners.
6th & 7th round picks at Safety.
3rd Rounder & UDFA at ILB.
3rd rounder & UDFA at OLB.
1st rounder, UDFA & 3rd rounder.

This is the talent on the D.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The defence is playing better than I expected. Most of the vets left and we're playing a bunch of youngsters. Like yesterday, most of the points were scored when we gave them a short field. We failed to score and they gained a lot of momentum. Make them FGs and quit throwing picks and the D looks a little better.

oldnotdead

Legend
Every year it's Raheem doesn't have the talent. BS he had Ramsey, Floyd, Gaines, Wagner and most of all Donald and he still tanked the defense. That old nag of an excuse has no legs. He took basically the same defense that Staley had at #1 then added Von Miller and dropped it to #15. Yeah NO FUCKING TALENT

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Every year it's Raheem doesn't have the talent. BS he had Ramsey, Floyd, Gaines, Wagner and most of all Donald and he still tanked the defense. That old nag of an excuse has no legs. He took basically the same defense that Staley had at #1 then added Von Miller and dropped it to #15. Yeah NO FUCKING TALENT
Lol…
You truly are obsessed.

THEY WON THE SUPERBOWL.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well if you're gonna ding him for only being ranked 15 with that stacked team then fair enough. But you have to give him credit for having a middle of the pack defense with this current roster too then.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Well if you're gonna ding him for only being ranked 15 with that stacked team then fair enough. But you have to give him credit for having a middle of the pack defense with this current roster too then.
Careful there ... Reason, Common Sense and Objectivity will simply not be tolerated with him.

You have been Warned!

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn

This thread is about the Defensive Coordinator.
Whom chooses to play Derion Kendrick and plays a DL Michael Hoecht at OLB.
Nuff said.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Our defense has played better than expected at times, but sucks bad at the worst moments. The common theme with the defense is that it seems like teams figure them out by the fourth quarter and start imposing their will on them. Problem with the offense is that they also trail off by the end of the game. If I remember right, I also read that our red zone statistics aren't very great. Gotta score TDs when we get there, would make a world of a difference.