Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Tano it's where he aligns not what he's designated at for salary purposes. OLB get paid less than DE. It was an issue years ago with OLBs with the Ravens as both edge rushers were being paid as OLBs not DEs even though they were being played as DEs. Sometimes Hoecht aligns as an OLB (at wide 9 for example) other times he aligns in a 5T which is a DE position. They are switching sides with him and Young as well for matchup purposes for a given defensive play call. Watch how they use Hoecht and Young it's interesting.

This game was lost because of missed kicks but more importantly piss poor playcalling and the lack of adjustments by McVay and Morris. In other words the coaching by McVay and Morris was bad because they simply didn't adjust.

Yes the Rams were very balanced in that they passed 29 times and ran 30 times. But it's when they passed and ran. They were running well, especially with Freeman who was gashing them. But McVay continued to give Henderson the ball despite Freeman gaining more yards with fewer carries. The Steelers were emphasizing pass defense. McVay should have recognized that and run the ball down their throats and forced the Steelers to stop them. Then use those runs to set up the pass. It also protects the OL when they can be the aggressor in run blocking. This is elementary coaching stuff. Why did Morris insist upon playing his thug buddy? He doesn't have anyone better? BS He refuses to accept his thug wannabe buddy isn't that good.

This was a difficult game to watch because this team had the game to win but bungled it away. McVay has to understand that backed up like that he must accept that Stafford can lose games as easily as he wins them. His INT percentage over the past 3 years is worse than Goff's ever was during his last 3 years as a Ram. McVay is making basically the same mistake with Stafford as he did with Goff.

Next year maybe they should trade McVay for 5 first round picks. Then hire Kalen DeBoer and his staff. Kalen is going to be an absolutely brilliant NFL coach soon. He's got a tremendous staff around him. Kalen has been a winner wherever he's been. Since 2005 his record is 97-11.

McVay struggles at times making adjustments. He was so focused upon being balanced he lost his perspective on simply winning the game. If ever there was a game to be run dominant it was this game and Sean never saw that. He never saw that Freeman was the horse he needed to ride to win so he kept trotting out Henderson forgetting why he released him in the first place.

Memphis Ram

Legend

The best NFL coaching jobs no one is talking about: Sando’s Pick Six​

Raheem Morris: Aaron Donald is the only Rams defender drafted in the first two rounds. Donald is the only one earning more than $2 million per year. Ahkello Witherspoon, signed in late June, is their only notable addition in free agency. A Rams defense that was supposed to be terrible has instead been respectable, ranking fifth in passer rating allowed, 16th in points allowed and 22nd in EPA per play.

Further, this defense costs less in 2023 cash than any defense in the league, per Spotrac. Also per Spotrac, the gap in cash spending between the Rams’ defense and the offenses Los Angeles has faced averages nearly $60 million per week, by far the largest (the disparity for Kansas City ranks second).

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

The best NFL coaching jobs no one is talking about: Sando’s Pick Six​

Raheem Morris: Aaron Donald is the only Rams defender drafted in the first two rounds. Donald is the only one earning more than $2 million per year. Ahkello Witherspoon, signed in late June, is their only notable addition in free agency. A Rams defense that was supposed to be terrible has instead been respectable, ranking fifth in passer rating allowed, 16th in points allowed and 22nd in EPA per play.

Further, this defense costs less in 2023 cash than any defense in the league, per Spotrac. Also per Spotrac, the gap in cash spending between the Rams’ defense and the offenses Los Angeles has faced averages nearly $60 million per week, by far the largest (the disparity for Kansas City ranks second).

Uh-Oh ... I know someone on this Forum that is NOT going to be happy with Mike Sando of the Athletic.

oldnotdead

Legend
When Hoecht is in coverage it's because Morris is using him as a WIL or SAM and coverage is part of that responsibility. But the DC should know that a guy like Hoecht has rushing speed but not coverage speed, i.e. Hoecht wins in pass rushing with strength and quickness while coverage requires long speed (which is why DK sucks). Hampton has the kind of long speed as a OLB they need to play WIL or SAM. Nick simply needs to be coached up on coverage technique.

oldnotdead

Legend
Sando ignores that this defense didn't improve until Pleasant got here. Sando ignores that this was a #1 defense that Raheem dropped into the toilet to #19 in two years. Then Pleasant arrives and the flushing stops and Morris takes the undeserved bows.

As Ram fans who have watched this team closely who knows better? A guy who looks at it superficially and counts beans and declares wow look at this. Not really asking himself what has changed. Sando isn't doing his job.

I'm just a fan and I predicted this before the season started.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Sando ignores that this defense didn't improve until Pleasant got here. Sando ignores that this was a #1 defense that Raheem dropped into the toilet to #19 in two years. Then Pleasant arrives and the flushing stops and Morris takes the undeserved bows.

As Ram fans who have watched this team closely who knows better? A guy who looks at it superficially and counts beans and declares wow look at this. Not really asking himself what has changed. Sando isn't doing his job.

I'm just a fan and I predicted this before the season started.
HAHAHA…

On cue…

Credit Pleasant.

Hey… who is Kendrick’s position coach?

LolZ

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I think it would be fair to say, we haven't lost a game this year because of defense.

I don't know what games you are watching but I disagree. The game where they were able to go down the field in 34 seconds and score a TD because of a PI on the defense is one before the half is one.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't know what games you are watching but I disagree. The game where they were able to go down the field in 34 seconds and score a TD because of a PI on the defense is one before the half is one.
The game the offense scored 14 points?

The game they held Eagles to their second lowest output of the season?

That game?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
You are allowed your opinion and to disagree. I watch all the games. Haven't missed one in 24 years. The one you reference is the Philly loss. True 30 seconds, DPI and 7 pts before the half, to make it a 3 pt deficit (17-14). And our offense scored how many in the 2nd half while our D allowed 6 points? Z-E-R-O.

Now, I don't know how many years you've been watching McVay's Rams but when we're down 3 at the half and our D only allows 6 in the 2nd, our offense (when it's not shitting the bed) overcomes that easily.

Don't blame that L on the D unless you really expected to win that game 14-10.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I was very harsh on Morris in past years. But I think he has been doing an absolutely incredible job so far in 2023-24.

It is very perplexing, IMO, that he generally seems to have the DBs playing with less cushion than before. At least on paper, you would think past rosters would have lent themselves better to playing closer coverage. Or that it at least would have been a wash.

At this rate, he doubtlessly will be poached and net us a comp pick, which I'd be greatly in favor of. Viewing his body of work as a whole, I don't see how you can't favor the draft pick. A comparably competent DC should not be hard to find IMO.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Yes he is doing a good job doing what he should have always been doing. Being more aggresive.
Dont forget that the steelers came off a bye week. It is no coincidence that they out played us in the 4th qtr.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I was very harsh on Morris in past years. But I think he has been doing an absolutely incredible job so far in 2023-24.

It is very perplexing, IMO, that he generally seems to have the DBs playing with less cushion than before. At least on paper, you would think past rosters would have lent themselves better to playing closer coverage. Or that it at least would have been a wash.

At this rate, he doubtlessly will be poached and net us a comp pick, which I'd be greatly in favor of. Viewing his body of work as a whole, I don't see how you can't favor the draft pick. A comparably competent DC should not be hard to find IMO.

I think the problems we have in the second half lately have been on offense. The defense has played well enough for us to be 4-3 or 5-2. But at times our second half offense a times looks like Jeff Fisher's offense in terms of production and points.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
You are allowed your opinion and to disagree. I watch all the games. Haven't missed one in 24 years. The one you reference is the Philly loss. True 30 seconds, DPI and 7 pts before the half, to make it a 3 pt deficit (17-14). And our offense scored how many in the 2nd half while our D allowed 6 points? Z-E-R-O.

Now, I don't know how many years you've been watching McVay's Rams but when we're down 3 at the half and our D only allows 6 in the 2nd, our offense (when it's not shitting the bed) overcomes that easily.

Don't blame that L on the D unless you really expected to win that game 14-10.

The going into the locker room down 3 instead of up.
You don't think that played a part in morale?
It's the defense's job to prevent scores and turnover the possession to the offense.
Unless you are named Raheem Morris and then it's the defense job to take up a bunch of clock, prevent the big play and let them score FGs. (Something is a bit different this year, but it's still more of the same.)

It is a totally different game had that not happened. That's 100% on the defense. Sorry. No way to know what would have happened, otherwise. The game is so much more about emotion that one can understand. So yeah, I still think the defense lost that game more than the offense failed to produce enough points.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
It's the defense's job to prevent scores and turnover the possession to the offense.
Unless you are named Raheem Morris and then it's the defense job to take up a bunch of clock, prevent the big play and let them score FGs. (Something is a bit different this year, but it's still more of the same.)

It is a totally different game had that not happened. That's 100% on the defense. Sorry. No way to know what would have happened, otherwise. The game is so much more about emotion that one can understand. So yeah, I still think the defense lost that game more than the offense failed to produce enough points.
Nonsense.
There was an entire half to play. Don’t blame the D for the offense being incompetent.

Come on, dude.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Rams are 16th in points scored.

Rams are 14th in points allowed.

Pretty clear which unit is underperforming.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Mcvay going ZERO backfield to start the half was STRANGE!!

If running the ball 8 straight against the cards coming out of half winning. I’d say you don’t take that element away with the thought of Running the Ball.

Watt dropped because with Stafford at QB there is no threat of a run.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

So you're gonna double down on blaming the defense? Okay.

Morale? It only affected the offense? The defense came out and held what some are calling the best team in the NFL to 6 points in the second half but those poor emotional offensive players had their heads stuck up their ass because of 1 late first half TD? Come on man, this ain't peewee football. Grown assed men don't allow that shit to affect them. The offense is clearly underperforming and can't put together 2 solid halves of football in a game....sometimes none.....while the defense is overachieving and playing their asses off. And I love the guy but it all falls on McVay. He's the offensive genius (truly) and through 7 games he can't get them to play a solid 60 minutes on offense. Of course he put them behind the 8 ball vs Pittsburgh by going empty/5 wide to start the 3rd quarter. I guess it was an attempt at intimidating the Steelers? Didn't work and gave them the lead.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Exactly. And this is with the majority of the money (cap space) being spent on the offense.

The offense is supposed to be carrying this team.

The offense IS THE PROBLEM.

Ellard80

Legend
offense is more of the problem for sur...

the defense is going to have meltdowns because it lacks talent.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
So you're gonna double down on blaming the defense? Okay.

No. But saying they had no part in losing was what my original response was. The defense is at fault for that loss. Had that not happened and allowed an immense TOP we have no clue what the offense would have been. McVay called an offense like they were down 21 points. If we were ahead would he have called something different. Who knows? So yes, it's the crucial part of the game the morale changer and the flow of the game changed at that point. So yeah that is on the defense.