Proof that sea monsters do exist

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Bluntnose six-gill shark. Deep sea species that can grow to be 20 feet long.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
nope.gif

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't worry; you'll never encounter that type of shark unless you go on a submarine. Going up to the surface is too much for the biology of those creatures, and they end up dying violently every time they try.
Yeah that's kind of assumed by the "deep sea shark encounters a submarine" part of the post :D

oldnotdead

Legend
When I lived in Santa Monica I used to ride my bike every weekend from Santa Monica pier to Redondo Beach pier (round trip). Along the way usually in Playa Del Rey I would see multiple "sea monsters" on the beach and wading in the surf. Both male and female varieties. As I rode through Manhattan Beach I would see the mermaids sunning themselves. Awww yeah those were good days.

True story:

While in the Navy I spent a few months on board an old DE of the Dealy class. We were on a training cruise with 50% reservists in the crew who were doing their "summer camp". It was about 2300 we were cruising south at about 12 knots about 50 miles off shore about midway down Baja. I was in sick bay talking with the chief corpsman (our doc) when there was a very strong slam on the starboard side about 3/4 of the way down the hull. The entire ship shuddered and the OD ordered an immediate stop as he assumed we had hit some floating debris which was common enough. They put a boat over the side and did a visual inspection.

The inspection didn't find anything but there were problems with the rudder so we returned to homeport which at the time was Naval Station Long Beach. A dive team was sent overboard to inspect the problem when we returned to port. What they found was the rudder had impact marks but more frighteningly were the marks along the hull. The plating had been dented and there were clear tentacle marks (huge ones) all along the hull from midships all the way to the stern.

The damage was not severe enough to warrant repair as the ship was to be decommissioned within 2-3 years and it was simply a ship used for reservist training at that point. The farthest that ship went after that was circling Catalina. The XO told me that the ship had been intentionally hit by a giant squid! So when I see those illustrations of old sailing vessels being attacked by giant squids I don't view them as fantasy. Apparently, we weren't the first one and not the last one to have that experience. Needless to say, the guys who did the offshore inspection that night were a bit shaken.

The DE was 315 feet OAL with a 35' beam. Can you imagine the size of the creature willing to take on that ship? Huge whales have shown similar attack scars. So yeah that is my sea monster story and yeah it actually happened.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Oh, but I've found something even scarier than that shark: the Humboldt squid. They will target deep sea divers with 15 mph strikes, try to undo masks and oxygen tanks with their tentacles, and they're smart and strong. And did I mention that they're almost never alone? They swim in shoals that are around a thousand squids on average. Oh, and I've heard stories about fishermen from Mexico trying to fish them, and the squids knocking them into the water where they devour the fishermen.

Yeah, I'm never going in the ocean, no thank you. I'm fine with my dry land.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh, but I've found something even scarier than that shark: the Humboldt squid. They will target deep sea divers with 15 mph strikes, try to undo masks and oxygen tanks with their tentacles, and they're smart and strong. And did I mention that they're almost never alone? They swim in shoals that are around a thousand squids on average. Oh, and I've heard stories about fishermen from Mexico trying to fish them, and the squids knocking them into the water where they devour the fishermen.

Yeah, I'm never going in the ocean, no thank you. I'm fine with my dry land.
Sounds like the beginning of a Memento Deep Sea Horror story!

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't worry; you'll never encounter that type of shark unless you go on a submarine. Going up to the surface is too much for the biology of those creatures, and they end up dying violently every time they try.
best way to avoid humans. shark lives matter!

Memento

Name
Jemma
Sounds like the beginning of a Memento Deep Sea Horror story!

No, this is actually real. Maybe I'll write a short horror story to post in an anthology like Stephen King's done in the past.

best way to avoid humans. shark lives matter!

They...actually do. Honestly cried at the Gordon Ramsay documentary about shark fin soup; the poor sharks didn't deserve that fate.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Bluntnose swim in relatively shallow waters at night and are even fished. Only one ever recorded attack on humans.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Can it play edge ?

The shark or the squid? Pretty sure the shark struggles with edge work, takes too long to change directions, but is a forceful striker. Squid is better in coverage, changes direction easily, but often requires a crowd to bring down people.