Prisco & Kirwan’s Rams at Redskins Preview

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Everyone keeps saying we won't score points. Didn't we just put up 34 (31 in regulation) on one of the best D's in football? (ok 24 minus the punt return).

You would think against a lesser D we would be even better or get a little credit.
If you listen to NFL Network you would think all 24 were because Chancellor was out.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
And we would have scored more if not for the turnovers (Pead, I'm looking your way)
The Rams basically started there third team running back ..If Gurley plays,it should be fun.----WHY was no one complaining about Tavon Austin getting all his carries against Seattle. I Pead is ??? border line to make it through the season on 53.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How Crucial is this Weekend’s Game For the Rams?

Nick Wagoner joined Kevin Wheeler to talk about the RB situation, the importance of a win in Washington, and Nick Foles leadership ability.

Listen to Wagoner Talk Rams

RamBill

Legend
Fisher Up Front: Washington Preview

Rams Reporter Dani Klupenger sits down with Head Coach Jeff Fisher to discuss the Week 1 victory against the Seahawks and the upcoming matchup against Washington.

Watch Fisher Talk Redskins Game

RamBill

Legend
Joe Theismann: Rams a ‘Heck of a Football Team’

Former NFL quarterback and longtime friend of the show Joe Theismann joined The Ryan Kelley Morning After on Thursday to talk a variety of topics, including the NFL and the latest Republican debate.

His thoughts on the Rams this season:

“I think the Rams will have a top seven defense this year. They’ve been building it. I think the Rams are a heck of a football team. This is a great test for the Washington Redskins. It’s a great litmus test to figure out where they are as a football team.”

Listen to Theismann Talk Rams

RamBill

Legend
Sando: Kirk Cousins Has A 12.7 QBR on 3rd Down

NFL Insider Mike Sando delivers stats to help you make a pick for Rams at Redskins. He thinks the Rams D will be too much for Cousins to handle.

Watch Sando Talk Rams-Redskins

RamBill

Legend
Jim Thomas Previews Rams-Redskins Match-Up

St. Louis Post-Dispatch Rams beat writer Jim Thomas joined The Ryan Kelley Morning After on Friday to preview the Rams’ upcoming Week 2 match-up with the Washington Redskins over the weekend.

Jim Thomas: “We’ve seen it before and really, that’s the storyline of this game. (Left guard) Rodger Saffold and other players were talking about it almost immediately after the win over Seattle, the fact that they need the week-to-week consistency to pile up wins. They’ve had only a handful of two-game winning streaks under Jeff Fisher. They’ve never won three in a row. The feeling at Rams Park is they have a more seasoned team.”

Listen to JT Talk Rams-Redskins

RamBill

Legend
The Rams Special Teams Unit is Ready to Turn Heads
Posted by: Luke Schnake

http://www.101sports.com/2015/09/18/rams-special-teams-ready-part-season/

The locker room has cleared after a recent Rams practice, but wide receiver and special teams member Bradley Marquez sticks around, describing what went through his head on the key play of the Rams’ 34-31 win over the Seahawks.

Marquez’s recovery of a Seattle onside kick at the beginning of overtime was essential to logging the win. Marquez captured the 14-yarder from Seahawks kicker Steven Hauschka while signaling for a fair catch and taking a hit in the process.

“We were just saying, ‘watch the ball,’ and be ready for anything,” Marquez said. “And if nothing comes then we just get back in the return, but I just saw the ball go up and I was able to go make a play on it.”

“That was a big play. That was a veteran move,” special teams co-captain Daren Bates said. “It was a veteran play to get the ball and to call a fair-catch…You can’t get any better than that.”

Stomachs turned when it seemed the officials would order a re-kick, claiming Marquez’s fair catch signal was illegal due to the ball bouncing off the ground first, but those watching on television or the big screen in the Edward Jones Dome knew better.

The refs eventually got the call right, but not without invoking butterflies on the home side.

Marquez admitted not knowing what to think when he saw the flag.

“I don’t know. I guess I had mixed emotions.” Marquez said “In my head I was pretty sure it popped up in the air and I did everything correct so I was wondering what the flag was for…I wondered if I did something wrong, but I knew I hadn’t and they were able to get it corrected. The replay was playing over and over on the jumbo-tron and I guess they got together and got it right.”

Marquez, brought to St. Louis as an undrafted rookie free agent, has impressed the coaching staff with his mental and physical acumen.

“(Marquez) is an instinctive football player,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “That was not the only really good play he made. He made a couple of other really good plays. He works hard, he pays attention, he acts like he’s been around for three or four years. We can trust him and put him in some unusually difficult positions, especially as a personal protector on our punt team to make all the calls and protection and things. We trust him and he gets it right.”

The rookie is a cog in the Rams’ special team unit, a unit that’s a source of great pride for the team. For every Tavon Austin return for a touchdown or Johnny Hekker punt, there are 11 guys on the field executing an important part of each special teams play.
john fassel

Rams special teams coordinator John Fassel looks on as officials discuss an onside kick call in Sunday’s game vs. the Seahawks.

Special teams players traditionally don’t receive much outside praise for their play, but Bates says that’s taken care of in-house.

“We try to give each other our praise when we get in the meeting room and we get to see each other’s work. We know what we’re doing as individuals, but we get to see our peers on film.” Bates said. “So we’re able to congratulate and praise each other and that’s all you need sometimes…It’s always good to get it from the media and fans, but to keep each other going we do it inside our meeting rooms.”

Hekker is the unit’s other co-captain and has made first and second NFL All-Pro teams over the past two seasons, respectively.

The Rams punter says the team’s resilience impressed him most in their week one win.

“As a unit we didn’t hang our heads.” Hekker said. “The second special teams play we had after the kickoff cover was our punt that got returned for a touchdown, and I’ve been in a couple games before where our first couple plays haven’t gone very well and we’ve hung our heads and kind of let that lead to a whole game-wide poor performance.”

The offense, defense, and special teams all made mistakes Sunday, but all three bounced back.

This hasn’t always been the case with the Rams in recent years, but Nick Foles, Hekker, and Bates were patrolling the sideline in week one making sure their troops’ heads stayed high.

“I think we’re very close knit. We have a great group of guys and are led by an amazing group of coaches that are highly experienced and have our trust and a ton of respect.” Hekker added. “Our special teams unit is young, but we’re very well led by Coach (John) Fassel and Coach Fisher. They have a lot of hand-on knowledge of special teams and they take a lot of pride in it. We see that and take a lot of pride in it as well and look out for each other on the field.”

The pride the Rams staff have in their special teams knowledge shows in stories like rookie free agent Marquez’s. The receiver’s life took a turn for the positive after not getting any draft day calls. He may be a bit player, but the rookie says he’ll do his job each week on a special teams unit that should have teams taking notice.

“The vets really bring the younger guys along and they made me feel comfortable, especially with being a rookie in my first game and first season.” Marquez said “They’ve helped bring me along and imparted me with their wisdom and knowledge they’ve gotten over the years. I’m still learning every single day from these guys.”

“The confidence they instill in me to get my job done helps me to go out and play worry free. I’ve been blessed to find a role thus far and hopefully I can continue to help us in whatever way they need me.”

RamBill

Legend
Slowing Redskins' run game is Rams' top priority in Week 2
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...redskins-run-game-rams-top-priority-in-week-2

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Ask any member of the St. Louis Rams defensive line, and he'll tell you that rushing the passer is a right that must be earned.

The Rams learned the hard way at the start of last season when they were 29th in the league against the run through the first five games, giving up 152.5 yards per game and 4.92 yards per carry. The results weren't pretty, and a defense expected to set the pace for sacks instead set an NFL record for futility with just one in the first five games.

Which is why the Rams emphasized a fast start overall this year -- but with a particular focus on getting out of the gates better against the run. That focus will once again take center stage on Sunday when they take on the Washington Redskins and perennially-underrated back Alfred Morris.

“They ran the ball well," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. "They’re a good running football team. Their offensive line’s much improved. Tight ends are blocking well. Running back is a heavy back. It’s a completely different challenge than what we faced last week from a run-game scheme standpoint."

Last week, the Rams had a similar approach to stopping the run first and executed it pretty well, limiting Seattle to 3.9 yards on 32 rush attempts. Subtract a 24-yard burst by running back Marshawn Lynch, and he averaged just 2.88 yards on his 17 other attempts.

The early run stops led to plenty of pass-rushing opportunities as the Rams finished with six sacks. This week, Morris and the Redskins provide a challenge that is simultaneously similar and different.

Let's start with the similarities. While nobody would argue that Lynch is a better back than Morris, they have similar bruising running styles that make them hard to bring down. Lynch is listed at 5-feet-11, 215 pounds and Morris checks in at 5-10, 224 pounds. In their ideal world, the Rams can do to Morris what they did when the teams met last season.

In that meeting, Morris finished with career lows in rush attempts (eight), yards (6) and yards per carry (0.8). Of course, that game took place in December, and Morris and the Redskins were clearly worn down. Morris enters Sunday's game coming off a 121-yard outing against Miami last week, in which he averaged 4.84 yards per carry.

"We play in the NFC West so we’re used to people running the ball, and when you have guys like Marshawn Lynch, and Alfred Morris is right up there with him, a very physical back, gets downhill so we are used to it," defensive tackle Michael Brockers said. "I’m glad we played the Seahawks first so we can get those guys second. We’re used to it, and I think it will play right into our hands."

What might not play right into the Rams' hands is the different scheme from which Morris will be running. As Fisher mentioned, the Redskins and Seahawks bring a different approach to the run game even if the backs are similar.

The Redskins drafted offensive linemen Brandon Scherff and Arie Kouandjio in an effort to transition from the outside zone scheme of the recent past to a more physical power and gap-based scheme. Essentially the opposite of the alterations the Rams have made to their own running game. But that remains a work in progress, though one that's a significant departure from the dedicated zone-based scheme the Rams saw last week against Seattle.

Last week against Miami, the Redskins ran Morris out of plenty of different looks: single back with multiple tight ends, single back with multiple receivers, offset I and out of the shotgun. Much of Morris' success came running to the left side, particularly behind left guard Shawn Lauvao with fullback Darrel Young leading the way. According to Pro Football Focus, Morris averaged 6.9 yards per carry running between center and left guard.

Given the Rams' talent on the defensive line, one would expect the Redskins to try to spread things out a bit more in an effort to keep Rams defenders out of the box. Coordinator Gregg Williams likes using safeties like T.J. McDonald and Mark Barron near the line of scrimmage and letting them attack whoever has the ball.

No matter which method the Redskins choose to put the ball in Morris' hands, the Rams know they'll probably see him early and often.

"That’s what kind of game we like," Brockers said. "We like a very physical, nasty game. That’s what kind of football we play here."

If they can play it well enough again this week, it would go a long way toward victory No. 2.

RamBill

Legend
Rams-Redskins: Five Things to Watch
BY NORM SANDERS
News-Democrat

http://www.bnd.com/sports/nfl/st-louis-rams/article35816862.html#storylink=cpy

It will be the Washington Redskins’ strong running game and ball-control offense against the sack-happy St. Louis Rams defense Sunday with the Redskins hoping to avoid an 0-2 start at home.

Here’s a look at five things to watch as the Rams search for their first 2-0 start since 2001 (noon; TV: Fox Channel 2; Radio: WXOS-FM 101.1):

1. Can Aaron Donald and the Rams defensive line continue the dominance displayed last week at home against the Seahawks?

Donald was virtually unblockable, finishing with two sacks and 11 tackles on his way to NFC Defensive Player of the Week honors. The Rams like to move the 2014 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year around, creating mismatches or freeing other up others for an easier path to the quarterback or running backs. Defensive end Robert Quinn also had two sacks and defensive end Chris Long remains a force along with tackle Michael Brockers and end William Hayes. Redskins rookie guard Brandon Scherff, the fifth overall pick in the draft out of Iowa, did a good job of limiting Miami all-pro lineman Ndamakong Suh last week.

2. What will the Rams’ running back situation look like against the Redskins?

Tre Mason, the Rams’ 2014 rushing leader, sat out last week because of a hamstring injury, but appears ready to roll after a full week of practice. Rams coach Jeff Fisher dropped hints all week that first-round pick Todd Gurley could be ready to make his debut, but it seems somewhat unlikely since there’s still no real reason to rush him back into the lineup after ACL surgery. Still, Gurley took a lot of reps with the first-team offense this week along with Mason and Benny Cunningham. Cunningham got the start in Week 1 and delivered 45 yards rushing and 77 yards receiving, although the Rams averaged only 2.9 yards per carry against the Seahawks (third-lowest in the NFL).

3. Who wins the battle of former Michigan State quarterbacks?

Rams quarterback Nick Foles and Washington starter Kirk Cousins were once teammates at Michigan State, although Foles eventually transferred to Arizona. Foles had a successful Rams debut, throwing the game-tying touchdown pass to Lance Kendricks and finishing 18-for-27 for 297 yards and one TD. Cousins beat out former second overall pick Robert Griffin III for the Redskins’ starting QB job. He threw a pair of interceptions last week and also will be directing an offense minus its top receiver in the injured DeSean Jackson.

4. How will the Rams defense handle Redskins running back Alfred Morris?

Fisher and several members of the Rams defense called Morris a “heavy” runner who lowers his pads and makes himself extremely tough to bring down. Morris had 121 yards on 25 carries last week against Miami and the Redskins ran for 161 yards overall. Since 2012, only Seattle’s Marshawn Lynch has more rushing yards than Morris (4,083 yards). If Washington has success on the ground early, Morris could have a big day and perhaps help Cousins from being forced into the type of high-risk passes that had led to turnover problems in the past.

5. How will the inexperienced Rams offensive line deal with the Redskins defense?

Foles was sacked twice by the Seahawks last week, once on a blitz that led to a fumble recovery for a touchdown. As they did last week against Seattle, look for the Rams to use a lot of play-action and quick-release passing to slow down the Washington pass rush. Rams second-year left tackle Greg Robinson still struggles at times with pass protection while rookie right tackle Ron Havenstein and rookie left guard Jamon Brown both had good and shaky moments in the opener. The Redskins had three sacks against Miami last week with a strong pass rush led by linebackers Ryan Kerrigan and Trent Murphy and an improved defensive front.