Prisco & Kirwan’s Rams at Redskins Preview

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re-live the Rams epic win over the Seahawks from Alec Ogletree’s perspective in “Wired,” join the players on their day off as they make kids wishes come true, and learn more about the matchup with Washington as Dani Klupenger sits down with coach Fisher in “Fisher Up Front.

Watch Rams Nation

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
One thing I take away from the AO wired segment ...... the size difference between our 3 starters and the guys backing them up! LOL.

RamBill

Legend
Rams look to keep big plays coming against Redskins
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...k-to-keep-big-plays-coming-against-washington

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The St. Louis Rams and Washington Redskins kick off at 1 p.m. ET Sunday from FedEx Field. Here are three things to watch in that game:

1. Chunk play priority: The Rams caught most people by surprise with a better-than-expected offensive performance against the Seattle Seahawks' defense in Week 1. The key to that success? Big plays. Since coach Jeff Fisher arrived in 2012, the Rams have been a methodical team with only the occasional explosive play. But they were finding chunks of yards on a regular basis against the Seahawks.

The Rams beat the Seahawks for eight plays of 20-plus yards last week, which would have been good for 25 percent of the amount of those plays Seattle yielded a year ago. Rams quarterback Nick Foles was the primary reason for that, going 7-of-8 for 175 yards and a touchdown on throws at least 15 yards down the field. In the process, Foles became the first quarterback to complete 65 percent of his passes and average 11 yards per completion since Pete Carroll became coach in Seattle in 2010.

The Redskins yielded four passes of 20-plus yards to the Miami Dolphins last week and another three runs of at least 12 yards. The Rams will look to keep that going this week in Washington.

2. Containing Morris: Running back Alfred Morris is the key to everything the Redskins do offensively, a fact that isn't lost on the Rams. All week, players and coaches discussed the need to keep Morris in check. Like Marshawn Lynch last week, Morris packs a punch and isn't easy to bring down.

With Bill Callahan taking over as offensive line coach, the Redskins have begun morphing their run game to include more power and gap schemes than previous seasons. When they met last year, the Rams limited Morris to career lows in carries (eight), yards (6) and yards per carry (0.75). The Rams would love to duplicate that success this time out but even if that's unlikely, the Rams know they must limit his damage to find themselves in position to get another win.

3. Eliminating mistakes: The Rams had just four penalties for 30 yards last week against Seattle, which represents certain progress under Fisher. In fact, it was just the fourth time since Fisher took over that those numbers have been so low. They've won all of them. But just because the Rams improved in one of their major problem areas doesn't mean they are without issues. They were minus-2 in turnover differential for the game and minus-3 in the second half alone. They also allowed both a special teams and defensive touchdown.

More often than not, one of those statistics leads to a loss but when you add them all together, it's exceedingly rare for the team on the wrong side of it to get a victory.

Somehow, the Rams still managed to beat the Seahawks, in large part because of the aforementioned big plays from the offense and a relentless performance from the defense. Those things still exist but if the Rams can cut down on the turnovers and the non-offensive touchdowns allowed, they'll find themselves in a much better place when it comes to getting their first 2-0 start to a season since 2001.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I still have a hard time to get my mind wrapped around the Skins utilizing a First round 2015 Top Five LT pick to start @ ORG.
They did try him at RT...said he did ok, but the overall line works better with James at RT, Scherff at RG....I can see that...as far as run blocking...If they get 15 years of pro-bowl play, #5 overall was worth it...But...like you, I feel you can get quality guards in the 3rd round...Shoulda got an edge rusher...or one more wr or corner...

RamBill

Legend
Rams to wait on running back decision
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_77538d0d-f482-59c2-ad6a-97d179ccacc1.html

Looks like the Rams’ running back mystery will continue right up to Sunday in Washington. Todd Gurley (knee) and Tre Mason (hamstring) were both full participants Friday, the last full-scale day of the practice week.

Coach Jeff Fisher has listed both players at questionable on the team’s official injury report. The questionable designation, by NFL definition, means a player has a 50-50 chance of participating in that week’s game. But Fisher didn’t tip his hand.

“Well, I think it looks a little better than it did last week, not that it was an issue for us because Benny (Cunningham) really carried the load for us (against Seattle),” Fisher said.

“We’ll see how things go during the warm-ups. The two situations are completely different. You’ve got a guy coming off a season-ending ACL injury (Gurley), and you’ve got a guy coming off a three-week hamstring (Mason). But they both practiced full speed the last two days, so that’s encouraging.”

The grass field at FedEx Field is far from the league’s best surface, but Fisher said that would have no impact on his decision to use — or not use — either player.

While the running back position remains somewhat in flux, there is clarity at the cornerback position because Trumaine Johnson has a clear head.

After visiting with team medical officials Thursday, Johnson has passed the concussion protocol and is cleared to play against Washington. Officially, Johnson is listed as probable. He’s expected to start Sunday, which is good news for a Rams defense that has only four cornerbacks on the 53-man roster.

“He’s playing real solid,” defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said. “Last year being my first time seeing him, he had to battle through all those injuries and I don’t think I ever saw the real Trumaine.”

After a strong offseason and preseason by Johnson, Williams has a better idea of what he’s got. Before the concussion against Seattle, Johnson intercepted a Russell Wilson pass that led to a Rams field goal and a 10-7 lead.

“He’s got a long body that you can’t coach,” Williams said. “His burst and his instincts are good, too.”

Johnson also has a better understanding of how Williams likes his cornerbacks to play in his system.

“He has bought into that very well,” Williams said. “I think that staying healthy — we’ve got to continue to stay healthy — I think you’re going to see a big year out of him.”

Johnson suffered the injury making a tackle on Seattle wide receiver Chris Matthews midway through the second quarter. Johnson participated in two more plays before he left the field.

“I do not remember any of those (plays),” Johnson said Friday. “It is scary, just to look back at it and to see if I was technique-sound or let somebody beat me. Luckily they didn’t throw the ball that way.”

Johnson has been free of any symptoms, such as headaches or sensitivity to light, since Sunday, so he’s good to go and excited to get back on the field.

“This whole season, I don’t want to miss any games,” he said. “But at the same time, it’s a concussion. You’ve got to be safe with it. Take it slow. But everything worked out.”

Back at running back, things aren’t as clear cut. Just by the nature of the injury, it seems more likely that Mason returns to action Sunday than Gurley.

Fisher called Mason’s hamstring a three-week injury, and Sunday will be three weeks and a day since Mason tweaked the hamstring against Indianapolis in preseason play.

He tested the hamstring just before the Seattle contest and said: “I felt like I was pretty close. I wasn’t 100 percent, I’m not gonna lie. I feel like it was a smart decision to sit the week out, so I didn’t miss more time.”

Mason likens his body to a Lamborghini, the Italian luxury sports car.

“I feel like if I’m at a race, as soon as the race is over you gotta go right back into the pit stop,” Mason said. “I’m tuning up right now, tuning up the engine. Get a good oil change. New tires. Put a little nitrous in there.”

Mason said he went out for a test ride Friday.

“It definitely went well,” he said. “A real smooth lap around the track. So I can’t wait till Sunday.”

Which sounds like Mason is ready to go against Washington. But he added, “That’s not my job to tell.”

That’s up to Fisher, and the Rams coach obviously is engaging in some gamesmanship to keep Washington guessing until Sunday’s kickoff.

“I can’t wait,” Mason said. “I just want to be a playmaker because when the ball’s in my hand, I try to make something happen, and make something positive for this team happen.”

As for Gurley, he knows he’s close to making his NFL debut. He also knows he has gotten very few practice repetitions through the preseason and training camp, and none during the OTA practice sessions in June.

He says running doesn’t feel any different now from before the knee injury he suffered at Georgia. But adds: “I haven’t done it in a long time, so it’s just kinda getting back in the groove with everything, and getting those reps over and over. The big thing is really getting reps.”

So what would be Gurley’s answer if Fisher asks if he’s ready to play?

Gurley paused, and replied with a laugh: “I don’t know. I gotta think on that.”

RamBill

Legend
Foles set to face old friend Cousins
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_21d6c60b-26dd-5db6-9b13-6029001de3f7.html

The record shows that quarterback Nick Foles was selected in the third round of the 2012 draft by Philadelphia out of the University of Arizona.

But there was a time, in 2007, when Foles sat in a quarterback meeting room at Michigan State. A room that included Brian Hoyer and Kirk Cousins.

OK, we’re not talking Marino, Montana and Elway there, although Cousins and Foles are still young in their NFL careers and Foles already has made a Pro Bowl.

But consider the fact that there were only 32 people on the planet who had the title last week of “opening-day NFL starting quarterback.” And three of them were sitting together in that meeting room eight years ago at Michigan State.

Who could’ve known?

“You don’t really know,” Foles said. “I knew Kirk was extremely talented, Brian was extremely talented, and me — I was just trying to rehab my shoulder. I had shoulder surgery, but at that time, you don’t realize that it’s three guys that’ll start in the NFL in the future.

“Right there, you’re just trying to be a college quarterback that can help a team. That’s all you’re really thinking about.”

Hoyer has been benched after just one start for the Houston Texans, giving way to Ryan Mallett. As for Foles and Cousins, they’re squaring off Sunday at FedEx Field when the Rams (1-0) visit Washington (0-1). It’s a noon kickoff (St. Louis time).

“Kirk’s a tremendous competitor,” Foles said. “He’s a really intelligent guy. I really enjoyed my time there with him (at Michigan State) and I’m not surprised at all with the success he’s had.

“Just going through the adversity he experienced at Michigan State. Just the man he’s become, the player’s he’s become, it doesn’t surprise me everything he’s gone through now to be the starting quarterback in Washington.”

Foles went through some adversity of his own in East Lansing, Mich. Coming off shoulder surgery following his senior season of high school, Foles appeared in only one game for the Spartans in 2007, completing five of eight passes for 57 yards against Alabama-Birmingham.

With Hoyer and Cousins both coming back in ’08, that quarterback room got even more crowded when Keith Nichol transferred in from Oklahoma. Couple that with homesickness, and Foles faced an early-life crisis: Should he stay at Michigan State or transfer?

“It’s always tough when you’re deciding to transfer, but it was one of those things where I had to decide,” Foles said. “It had nothing to do with the competition or anything, it just had to do with, did I as a young man — 18, 19 years old — see myself going to college there and being a student-athlete for four years.

“I was a Texas boy, and just wanted to go somewhere where it was a little bit similar to home.”

So he talked it over with his family. He prayed over it. And he eventually sat down with Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio and talked it over.

“I think the world of Coach Dantonio and that staff,” Foles said. “But I had to follow my heart, and it worked out. I went to Arizona, enjoyed being a student-athlete there, found my wife and married.”

But at the time, there were no guarantees in transferring to Arizona.

“My dad told me, ‘If you do this, there’s a chance you’ll never play football again. You just have to know that,’” Foles recalled. “He’s not gonna sugarcoat it; he never has.”

While Cousins was flourishing at Michigan State, Foles did the same at Arizona. Who knows? Had Foles stayed at Michigan State, where he got to know Cousins well, he might never have made it to the NFL. Or vice versa.

“Nick and I were kind of competing, both being freshmen at the time and sharing time on the scout team,” Cousins said on a conference call with St. Louis reporters. “We got to know each other well that year, went to math class together, and spent a lot of time together.

“It’s been really neat to see our football careers and our lives kind of go on paths that have led us to this point. It’s pretty unique.”

How’d the math class go?

“We both did pretty well,” Cousins said, laughing. “We were well prepared for it. Yeah, we did awesome.”

Foles and Cousins have stayed in touch over the years, texting back and forth. Occasionally they’ll run into each other at an event in the offseason.

“We may meet each other, see each other, catch up,” Cousins said. “Our wives met this past offseason, so that’s kind of the way the NFL works, is you’re all in it together and you’re going through similar experiences just in different places. Certainly as quarterbacks you have that shared experience and you both kind of understand what it takes and what you’ve gone through.”

Last Sept. 21, they ran into each other for the first time on a football field.

Foles completed 27 of 41 passes for 325 yards, three touchdowns, and a season-high passer rating of 114.4. Cousins completed 30 of 48 passes for a career-high 427 yards, with three TDs, one interception, and a 103.4 passer rating.

In a shootout, Foles’ Philadelphia Eagles defeated Cousins’ visiting Washington Redskins, 37-34.

Now, almost a year to the day later, they meet again, only this time Foles is wearing a different jersey. After an emotional 34-31 overtime victory against Seattle, Foles’ Rams are trying to start a season 2-0 for the first time since the 2001 Super Bowl campaign of the Greatest Show on Turf group.

But Foles isn’t basking in the afterglow of the Seattle victory. Nor is he thinking about the magnitude of the Rams starting a season with two victories. He’s certainly not thinking about Cousins and Michigan State, circa 2007.

“All we’re thinking about is the Redskins, and going out and executing,” he said. “It’s one game at a time, one play at a time. That’s the mentality you have to have as a competitor. I know that we as athletes say it all of the time, but it’s the way you’re successful.

“If you overlook anything or you get too excited about something, usually it doesn’t go well.”

Things may not have gone well in East Lansing; Foles very much wants them to go well Sunday at FedEx Field.

RamBill

Legend
7 things to watch: Rams at Redskins
By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_e58f831e-21b7-5329-9f58-654a3c3ac936.html

RAMS FACE ANOTHER HEAVY BACK IN MORRIS

After doing a good job containing Marshawn Lynch last week against Seattle, the Rams have another big challenge at running back in Alfred Morris. Morris topped 1,000 yards in his first three NFL seasons and got a good start on season No. 4 with 121 yards on 25 carries against Miami. Morris (5-10, 224) is what coaches and players call a “heavy back” — a big, strong, power runner who’s tough to bring down. “Gotta get a lot of people to the ball,” DT Michael Brockers said. “We kinda compared him to Marshawn Lynch when he runs. You know, he runs hard, runs tough. He always falls forward.”

CHASING COUSINS

If the Rams can contain Morris, and get Washington in predictable passing situations, well, QB Kirk Cousins has been known to throw the ball up for grabs. Cousins has the highest turnover rate per 100 snaps in the NFL since 2008 — 3.45 — according to CBS. Cousins threw two interceptions against the Dolphins, although one came on a highlight-reel play by Miami CB Brice McCain. Cousins, a former college teammate of the Rams’ Nick Foles, is 2-8 as an NFL starter.

ON THE RECEIVING END

Washington lost one of the game’s top deep threats when DeSean Jackson went down with a hamstring injury against Miami. He’ll miss several weeks. Without him, Cousins’ top options are WR Pierre Garcon and TE Jordan Reed. Garcon’s production dipped noticeably a year ago from his breakout 2013 campaign (113 catches for 1,348 yards), but he remains a dependable short and intermediate threat. Reed, who has been slowed by injuries as an NFL player, has some after-the-catch skill.

UP FRONT

A young but talented Washington offensive line was able to move the line of scrimmage against Miami in the running game, particularly in the first half. Trent Williams is a three-time Pro Bowler and one of the game’s top young LTs. Washington added another skilled blocker when Iowa’s Brandon Scherff became the first O-lineman taken and the No. 5 overall pick in the 2015 draft. Scherff did a good job last week vs. Miami’s Ndamukong Suh, including some successful cut-blocking.

UP FRONT II

According to the depth chart Washington uses a 3-4 alignment, but it played a lot of four-man fronts against Miami, especially in passing situations. There’s some talent here. Nose tackle Terrance Knighton, who has one of the best nicknames in football — Pot Roast — is a 6-3, 354-pound space eater. DE Jason Hatcher had a sack and batted down a pass against Miami; he’s had some disruptive moments against the Rams as a Dallas Cowboy. OLB Ryan Kerrigan has four sacks in three games against the Rams.

ON THE BACK END

There are some issues in the secondary for Washington. Starting free safety Duke Ihenacho has been lost for the season after suffering a fractured wrist against Miami. CB Beshaud Breeland returns from a one-game league suspension; but starting CB Chris Culliver sits out the Rams contest as he serves a one-game league suspension. At the other corner, three-time Pro Bowler DeAngelo Hall missed some time against Miami with a rib injury.

HAPPY RETURNS?

Suffice it to say, Washington’s punt return unit got a lot of work in practice this week. After giving up a 69-yard punt return to Miami’s Jarvis Landry for the game-winning TD, the Redskins face one of the league’s most dangerous punt returners in Tavon Austin. Austin had a 75-yard punt return for a TD in the Rams’ opener against Seattle, and had a 78-yard punt return for a TD against Washington in a 24-0 Rams victory last Dec. 7 at FedEx Field.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The key difference from other years..even last year, is Nick Foles. There is a leadership quality that he has that isn't brittle/tense...He isn't meant to be the guy that saves us every week...BUT, he is the guy that others can rally around. We are NEVER out of the game with him at QB. I watched Sam in that last Eagle game, and he is as I remembered..accurate and tense....I don't think Foles lets this team go down the rabbit hole (I have no idea what this means)..lol

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Rams Look to Go 2-0 for First Time Since 2001

Current Date:
Saturday
Sep 19, 2015
200.gif

Last edited: