Preseason Game 1 Fallout

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would like to see more of Brandon Allen, liked him at Arkansas and he struck me as a QB that could move the chains and seems like the perfect backup. Backup QB's need to be able to be successful with things crashing around them, Mannion very stiff in the pocket and deliberate in his mechanics. In the past Mannion has looked decent in preseason, this game, not so much. So let's see what happens next week as I would think the first team offense might get either one quarter or a couple of series.
Whether we want to see Mannion anymore or not, McVay will put him back in there. Seriously den, when has he played decently? It's year four for a developmental QB, who was kept over Keenum, Foles, Hill, and others (mind blowing when looking back at that). I see the same slow footed, lumbering, sack prone QB that I saw in his rookie year. One more game won't change that perception,well, for me anyway.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Mannion has thrown 50 passes in regular season play in three years, probably in meaningless games. I'm in no rush to judge him.

It's odd though, in a preseason game where we got our asses kicked, we say the score doesn't matter, we will be fine, etc..., but we are criticizing Mannion and praising others. Why absolve the whole team for a lopsided loss and at the same time blame Mannion for losing a game that doesn't matter to us?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mannion has thrown 50 passes in regular season play in three years, probably in meaningless games. I'm in no rush to judge him.

It's odd though, in a preseason game where we got our asses kicked, we say the score doesn't matter, we will be fine, etc..., but we are criticizing Mannion and praising others. Why absolve the whole team for a lopsided loss and at the same time blame Mannion for losing a game that doesn't matter to us?
Who cares about the score? Just looking at him play the position badly is what I am keying on. The one saving grace in this, is that McVay has no problem turning the page on a guy who isn't working out.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Who cares about the score? Just looking at him play the position badly is what I am keying on. The one saving grace in this, is that McVay has no problem turning the page on a guy who isn't working out.
The play of the team dictates the score. All I'm saying is how can people get in a lather about Mannion's play against Baltimore when we don't care about the score?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The play of the team dictates the score. All I'm saying is how can people get in a lather about Mannion's play against Baltimore when we don't care about the score?
Actually in preseason, coaches analyze personal performance to determine cuts. Mannion's deficiencies are almost exact as when he was a rookie. These deficiencies will lose us games in the event of a Goff injury (non-season ending).
Someof them:
1. Accuracy: Even if a WR can't catch the ball, he should at least hit their hands with the ball. There were some balls thrown to spots where the WR might have been if he hadn't fell down, granted. But there were just as many WTF throws. Plus, he has been throwing to some of these guys for a while, so where is the chemistry?
2. He can't change his slow, plodding feet. He is a statue waiting to be toppled/sacked. He also doesn't seem to have any pocket awareness.
3. Innovation: He can't do this when shyte goes bad, and often looks clueless in such moments. DOWN GOES FRAZIER.
4. When an NFL player gets an opportunity, he has to be ready for it. Especially when it's year four.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thing for Mannion is - he has to convince McVay he is the better option. He doesn't win a tie. He likely doesn't win if he convinces McVay he is slightly better at this stage than Allen.

Allen is McVay's boy, of course. Mannion was inherited.

Allen has about a quarter of a million less cap hit.

Allen has one more year before free agency, meaning the Rams can draft somebody this offseason, spend a year developing him, and have him be ready as a backup when Allen is gone. It will be much more stressful with Mannion, unless they keep Allen also. But even then, they would need to draft somebody for future seasons.

Allen has less experience, but has looked good so far. Realistically, Allen can grow more with a season under McVay.

There's still time, but after one game, I'd have to say Allen is far more likely to keep his job.

Last edited:

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Everyone wants to trash Mannion. I'll get on board with the trashing when they give him the starting offense for a whole game and then he fucks it up.

That's just wrong. He could have made plays last night instead he overthrew receivers, missed receivers and threw the ball in the wrong spot for a receiver to run after the catch.

Please go back and review Mannions supposed illustrious career at OSU he threw for alot of yards BUT was anything but accurate. He is a dead footed QB like Brees, Warner and Bulger but all three of these QBs have what Sean lacks - accuracy! If your going to be a pure pocket passer with very limited mobility you better be accurate.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Actually in preseason, coaches analyze personal performance to determine cuts. Mannion's deficiencies are almost exact as when he was a rookie. These deficiencies will lose us games in the event of a Goff injury (non-season ending).
Someof them:
1. Accuracy: Even if a WR can't catch the ball, he should at least hit their hands with the ball. There were some balls thrown to spots where the WR might have been if he hadn't fell down, granted. But there were just as many WTF throws. Plus, he has been throwing to some of these guys for a while, so where is the chemistry?
2. He can't change his slow, plodding feet. He is a statue waiting to be toppled/sacked. He also doesn't seem to have any pocket awareness.
3. Innovation: He can't do this when shyte goes bad, and often looks clueless in such moments. DOWN GOES FRAZIER.
4. When an NFL player gets an opportunity, he has to be ready for it. Especially when it's year four.

Some people have pointed out that Mannion was playing behind an offensive line made up of late round picks and free agents against the Ravens starting defense. Some of this is on the O-line, and there were drops, Hemmingway for one.
I'm sure the team knew about the slow feet when they drafted him.
Foles could not handle his opportunity with the Rams but he did OK in Philadelphia, so who's to say when a guy can't cut it unless he gets a chance to play with the #1s?

Kevin

Pro Bowler
The thing for Mannion is - he has to convince McVay he is the better option. He doesn't win a tie. He likely doesn't win if he convinces McVay is slightly better at this stage than Allen.

Allen is McVay's boy, of course. Mannion was inherited.

Allen has about a quarter of a million less cap hit.

Allen has one more year before free agency, meaning the Rams can draft somebody this offseason, spend a year developing him, and have him be ready as a backup when Allen is gone. It will be much more stressful with Mannion, unless they keep Allen also. But even then, they would need to draft somebody for future seasons.

Allen has less experience, but has looked good so far. Realistically, Allen can grow more with a season under McVay.

There's still time, but after one game, I'd have to say Allen is far more likely to keep his job.

Snead drafted Mannion and signed Allen. We don't know that Allen is anyone's boy.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Well we all agree the QB is the most important position on any team. McVay/Snead better figure out quickly how they are going to deal with this situation before we are in the middle of the season and Goff goes down. We have a team that can win the Superbowl this year we need a backup QB that is not such a huge drop off from Goff.

This is critical.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Before I would cut a quarterback that I'd invested that much time in and somehow looked proficient enough in the offense to make me want to keep him thus far.

I would still have to evaluate his performance with the ones over a two-game period.

At that point, if he still didn't look like he was getting any better?
Yeah, cut him.

But at this point you almost have to ride it out.
He's going to be gone next year anyway, mtl.

And you are still allowed to keep a third quarterback on the 53 if Mannion does flop.
And mostly it would depend on McVay's gut feeling on the subject.

Intranet pundits with only partial information?
Not so much. :D

…..

Legend
I'm a huge McVay fan but if his career ends with the Rams, it will start with him saying for the umpteenth time: "I can put him [Mannion, the QB, whomever] in better spots to have that success."

Agreed. McVay goes so far out of his way to claim responsibilty for every downfall that its getting to the point where the claim has no credibility.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Snead drafted Mannion and signed Allen. We don't know that Allen is anyone's boy.

I find it exceptionally unlikely that the team picked up a QB without getting the permission of the new QB guru.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Someof them:

Spot on I would add one more thing enable to handle pressure.

You know who else was like that Sam Bradford. Dead footed QB, always checked down and lacked accuracy even for a check down QB 58% which is awful for a QB.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some people have pointed out that Mannion was playing behind an offensive line made up of late round picks and free agents against the Ravens starting defense. Some of this is on the O-line, and there were drops, Hemmingway for one.
I'm sure the team knew about the slow feet when they drafted him.
Foles could not handle his opportunity with the Rams but he did OK in Philadelphia, so who's to say when a guy can't cut it unless he gets a chance to play with the #1s?
Not a good example. Foles had a great year in Philly as a starter with Chip Kelly (before coming to the Rams and back to Philly), but forget about a regular season, when exactly was Mannions great preseason game?

Fisher/Snead drafted Mannion, not McVay.Snead (huge difference in almost every facet of the team).

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. McVay goes so far out of his way to claim responsibilty for every downfall that its getting to the point where the claim has no credibility.
But if you listen to McVay closely, he acknowledge the bad game Mannion had and his bad play. Sure he covered it with the "we, not me" mantra, but the man does not throw players under the bus at press conferences. He just cuts them, trades them when he realizes there is not future with them...and sometimes in very fast fashion...Think of LT Robinson....and later TA.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I find it exceptionally unlikely that the team picked up a QB without getting the permission of the new QB guru.
Permission! I find it highly unlikely that the GM of a pro football team has get a permission slip form the head coach to pick up a guy to compete for backup QB during training camp.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Before I would cut a quarterback that I'd invested that much time in and somehow looked proficient enough in the offense to make me want to keep him thus far.

I would still have to evaluate his performance with the ones over a two-game period.

Yeah, cut him.

And you are still allowed to keep a third quarterback on the 53 if Mannion does flop.

Yeah, going on almost 4 years of partial information. Mannion only looks good (sorta) with a red jersey on, and nowhere else. VERY much.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock

Yeah, cut him.

I'm with you, SS.

I'm not ready to cut him today.

My niece went to UA with Brandon Allen. He's a gamer.

Love the guy.

But he's limited. He's a backup at this level.

Mannion was not the only reason the Rams lost last night. I recorded the game and will watch tonight.

We've all had our patience tested after the off-season the Rams have had.

We want Goff out there slingin' it to Cooks and Woods and Kupp; Gurley running all over and for gosh sake, would someone get AD to sign!

We might not be so pissed off!