(Poll) Goff or Wentz. Who do YOU want?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which QB do you want?

• Jared Goff

• Carson Wentz

• Don't care. I'm just here to troll the board

Results are only viewable after voting.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Geno Smith
Tim Couch
Brandon Weeden
Johnny Manziel
John Beck
Graham Harrell

And (omg) Nick Foles and Case Keenum!

Would all like to have a word with you.
That's nice, Aaron Rodgers and a few others would love to have a talk with them. Just because some QB's couldn't handle the transition to a pro style offense doesn't mean they all can't.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Somecall Wentz a once in 5 year talent....Man, I am on record saying that I like Goff and think he is more NFL ready, but Wentz looks like an absolute stud! I don't envy Fish/Snead on this one!

Name
Troy
I think the fact Fisher won with McNair, a big, strong, athletic small college QB that was on offense that featured a big back is relevant. He can see Wentz in that role.
I have not studied either player extensively, but of those that do, I respect Mayock the most. He was on Wentz way back at the senior bowl and picked him as the top QB then. He says it is Wentz, and not even close. I'll go with Mayock, and Fisher's pedigree with McNair/Tenn formula and vote for Wentz.
I'd be down with the McNair/Wentz comparison (in regards to Fisher 'making it work') if the gap in time (in NFL years) wasn't so bridged apart. The NFL has evolved greatly since then. Players are faster and the coaches are smarter.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I just hope the 49ers don't end up with the other one

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Geno Smith
Tim Couch
Brandon Weeden
Johnny Manziel
John Beck
Graham Harrell

And (omg) Nick Foles and Case Keenum!

Would all like to have a word with you.

I don't care. People said the same incorrect things about Cam Newton when he came out. Same with Marcus Mariota.

You're not evaluating those QBs. You're evaluating Jared Goff.

And BTW, none of the guys you named ran a system similar to Goff's. It's like claiming that Schotty and Hue run the same system because both are Air Coryell variants. Couch was the closest. And many people, including Bruce Arians, feel that Couch would have been a great success in the NFL if he weren't trapped on one of the worst teams ever.

jap

Legend
I'm a Goff guy. But I'll still be happy with Wentz. The Rams saved me from a draft day temper tantrum. :LOL:

Whenever Jrry is happy even for a moment with the Horns' FO brass, that is always a good day! :ROFLMAO:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

here's the thing.

goff looks great in his videos but on the longer passes he just can't get the ball out in front of the receiver. longer passes are 50 yarders. the rams are built on the play action pass. i'm sick of seeing britt and austin having to wait for a pass to get to them. put it out there in front of them and let them keep running.

as for wentz. if he runs a pro style offense from under the centre, knows the offense inside and out, can make all the defensive reads, can call protections from the line, can answer any question on the whiteboard which is asked of him, has the strength to get the ball wherever it needs to go, how is he not pro ready?

jap

Legend
Yeah i don't get that either. If we're comparing Wentz to a HOF'er i'd have to throw out a name like Favre.

Meh. I prefer a resemblance to our own Roman Gabriel. Now there is a guy defenses respected as a physical specimen!

jjab360

Legend
Okay guys, I'm officially switching sides!

Not going to go into too much detail, but I just watched a shit ton of both QBs and watching the way Goff consistently navigates a muddy pocket just makes me go weak in the knees. Wentz clearly has more arm talent and they're probably equally accurate, but Goff has a pretty big advantage in touch, timing, and anticipation.

Add on the way Fisher said in an interview something to the effect of Wentz is going to take whatever team drafts him to a Super Bowl one day, it sounded like something positive you say to the runner up in a race to make them feel better about losing.

I think we're just more comfortable with taking Goff at this point and I'm down with it.

Stay tuned until next week when I flop sides all over again.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

here's the thing.

goff looks great in his videos but on the longer passes he just can't get the ball out in front of the receiver. longer passes are 50 yarders. the rams are built on the play action pass. i'm sick of seeing britt and austin having to wait for a pass to get to them. put it out there in front of them and let them keep running.

as for wentz. if he runs a pro style offense from under the centre, knows the offense inside and out, can make all the defensive reads, can call protections from the line, can answer any question on the whiteboard which is asked of him, has the strength to get the ball wherever it needs to go, how is he not pro ready?

View: https://fat.gfycat.com/SilentHarmfulArchaeocete.webm

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
New guy here,and thank you for having me. I've enjoyed reading a well represented intelligent message forum. As a guy growing up in the Midwest, I was a huge Dickerson fan, and suspect that I will become a Rams fan once again. It is my hope to shed light on a few things.

If one looks in totality at all of the requirements that go into a truly successful QB in the NFL one would be amazed. As a matter of fact, scouts and teams spend more time today looking at character, intelligence, leadership, maturity, and work ethic than the tangibles. Obviously film tells us all a lot, but If you only look at hard statistics, or grade on a "nice looking ball" or hand size or foot movement you might want to look much deeper. Ryan leaf certainly had a beautiful ball, and a canon for an arm. He also sadly had addiction problems, poor discipline, and virtually no respect amongst his teammates.

For the record, I believe both Goff and Wentz will be good QB's. I do however have many reasons to believe that Wentz will be a Franchise QB and eventual Superbowl Champion. If your new QB is required to start week one, I also believe Wentz would have a better win/loss record at the end of season than Goff would.

I state this because when I look at the totality of his skillset, there is no other conclusion.

1. Leadership. At NDSU, Wentz was a fierce competitor with a strong will to win. The stress of maintaining a winning tradition is huge. A loss is almost unacceptable. Whether his teammates or the staff, Wentz had the support and trust of every member of the program and always commanded his huddle. That leadership and composure is why he commanded many 4th quarter winning drives, and is the very reason he successfully managed the immense pressure he was under at the Senior bowl and Combine.
2. Intelligence/maturity. High School through college graduation, Wentz never received a grade lower than an A, and achieved the highest Wonderlic score in this draft (Wentz-40,Goff-36 both great). This level of intelligence put him under center at NDSU. He called the defense for every play, AND could call any play he wanted in the huddle or at the line.
3. Work ethic. It has been well documented that he is a football junky. Wentz was the most prepared athlete on any field he competed on. It wasn't the A in math that opened the playbook for him at NDSU. Week in and week out he demonstrated his preparedness and ability to execute while rarely making mistakes on the field. Skills that directly translate to the NFL.
4. Character and maturity. Wentz plays football for the right reasons. Every team looking at him has tried to find "the dirt" on him over the last year. They cant find one thing. I can say that he frequented my Brother-in-laws Church on Sunday. My point is that he won't be taken in by the "big stage" or life in L.A. He is grounded and his focus will be on football.

I am concerned about one analytic. Completion % under duress. Analytics don't define "under Duress". Wentz ran quite successfully while under duress, and that skewes this number. Why? Because when Wentz was under duress, he was seriously under duress. i.e. all out blitz.

So. When I look at the totality of Wentz skill set along with being in a pro-style offense under center calling his own plays, I am resolved that the outcome will be pretty incredible. The aspects of his game that need refinement (per the scouting community) are manageable and wont take long to work through.

In totality. I see Wentz as a QB with an NFL elite arm, superb running ability, demonstrated leadership skills, and the intelligence and work ethic you need at the position. All that in the desired prototypical frame for a QB.

Any one (1) skill could make for a productive QB in the NFL. All three???

Thank you if you actually read this far, and thank you for having me on your forum!

floridabison.

Where in Florida?

Anyway, what an excellent post! You've articulated many of the reasons I, too, favor Wentz over Goff.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
After watching plenty of highlights over the weekend of both Wentz and Goff, all I can say at this point is:

"We will rally around [TBD April 28], and we will play good football.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I may have worded my view incorrectly. I shouldn't have said can't. I should have said generally speaking. You have to admit in many of his highlights for the longer throws the wr is waiting for the ball to get to him.

Happens to both QBs. Happens to pretty much every college QB. It's not easy to drop a ball into the bucket. Most college QBs are content with hitting the open WR rather than trying to hit him perfectly in stride and end up missing him. That changes in the NFL because of tighter windows.

Nodak

UDFA
Name
Noday
NDSU fan from Fargo here.

If I was drafting a QB with the idea that my offense was going to be a pass first, and stretch the field to really work the vertical passing game, I'd lean towards Goff.

If I was picking a QB for a run first/pass second offense that stressed picking up first downs, grinding the defense down, a controlled passing game with the occasional ability to go deep and keep the defense honest, I'd go with Wentz.

I'm guessing part of the white board work was to give the guys each an abbreviated playbook and let them look over it for a short time before having them draw up formations, concepts, and keys to look for, etc. Wentz probably memorized it. It probably would have been fairly easy for him to assimilate it into what he already knows, once he got the verbage down, because he has 5 years experience running a similar type offense. Daniel Jeremiah from the NFL Network is right when he says nobody will come close to Wentz on being able to dissect an NFL playbook. You guys already know he's never gotten less than an A in school in his life so being a book nerd is natural for him. True he developed some bad habits on the field, but mostly because he was able to get away with them at the FCS level.