Playoff Officiating

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
After watching this weekends games, and especially the Titans-Pats, am I the only one who thinks officials are instructed to influence games with calls, non-calls? It was obvious to me that the Patriots got lots of favorable calls, non-calls by refs. (been going on for many years) Steelers better have a good game plan because I don't think refs will be in their corner.

What say you?

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I've believed that since super bowl 36. It's too easy for them to do for the league/the owners not to be doing it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

What about when Lewis landed on his ass and kept running to the endzone. The refs called it a td when it he was plain as day down. Sickening that they even called a td.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Like I have seen before they only called one penalty on the Pats in the first half and like eight on Tennessee. Once the Pats got a big lead they started calling more penalties on them, when it did not matter, to try to make the calls even out. I have seen this a number of times with the Pats including when they played the Rams.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The refs are bad, but there is no conspiracy and no direction from above.

It would have leaked out, too many people would have to know if the NFL was trying to help or hurt teams.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
The NFL is similar to the WWE. Those headphones the refs wear are directly linked to Goodell. He tells the refs what to call, or not, and when.

But in all seriousness the officiating last night was terrible and it appears the league is never going to really address it. It's always seems veteran teams get the favorable calls. They need to have full-time officials who get fined for making really bad calls/no calls.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame

What about when Lewis landed on his ass and kept running to the endzone. The refs called it a td when it he was plain as day down. Sickening that they even called a td.

It happened pretty quickly, even Romo thought that he was still up, it might've been clear from the broadcast but not necessarily on the field. I think it's a good judgement call, if he's down the replay will correct the call, which is what happened. If the refs called him down, and the replay shows that he wasn't there is no way to correct the call. It would be another case of the refs screwing a team out of points, which is far worse than the overturning an incorrect call.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
The refs are bad, but there is no conspiracy and no direction from above.

It would have leaked out, too many people would have to know if the NFL was trying to help or hurt teams.
This is the biggest reason I have a hard time believing some grand conspiracy.
Why risk credibility of a business that is a money machine that makes billions? Doesn't make sense.
That said. We saw evidence this year of guys not getting calls that other guys did. Whitworth did a fair share of holding this year that was not called. Robinson did plenty of holding that was always called. Grabbing pass rushers now allowed in the NFL....not by he letter of the holding rule but by how it is called. When a QB takes off and a guy is stopped from making a play and his held....that is almost the only time it is called.
End of games....last couple of plays they don't call shit in terms of DBs holding etc.
some teams (NE) get away with holding receivers constantly. And pick plays.
Is it enforced differently? Do we notice because it is them?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
@fearsomefour I don't think enforcement is different for different teams, but I agree that the refs miss a shit ton of stuff especially holding. But that's why I always say they need to put a second ref back there, one guy can only see so much and he is off to one side making sight lines poor. It's just dumb.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And Cheatriot fans get all offended when you point out the officiating was bad. They just can't fathom that people think they get favorable calls all the time. I actually turned the game off at half and I'm not sure I watch either of todays games the officials were so bad. And these crews are supposed to be the best of the best.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And Cheatriot fans get all offended when you point out the officiating was bad. .

They know it, I'm surrounded by many Cheatriot fans here in Upstate, NY and they fully admit some calls go there way, but they don't care and feel they deserve it because of all the other allegations, which when I inform them they are not allegations when proven true, that is what they turn a blind eye to.

The Decker call was bad, but to call an illegal procedure call and wall it off and then to overrule it and walk off an encroachment penalty against the opposing team giving the Patriots a first down was absolutely horrid and why some people feel the games are fixed.

I truly hope who ever plays the Patriots just hits Brady left and right even if they throw flags (they are going to do it anyway) and knock him they hell out so this lunacy ends once and forever.

Ram65

Legend
http://www.titansonline.com/video/v...rference/e26cb4b4-7858-4bff-a009-d8bda7206854

Horrible call on Decker equalled by the encroachment call. Two field changing calls that affect the game.

There just seems to be a lack of consistency. I stated in another thread about letting them play more physically in the playoff. Why not all the time. They may need to change the holding rule. Full time officials could be a better way to go.

Conspiracy seems crazy.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t believe it’s a conspiracy or that there is any sort of edict, but last night was truly awful.
Tony Romo was money, and Boomer Esiason backed him up at halftime. There was a series of calls that were so blatantly awful and provided such assistance to the Pats, it was horrible.
The PI on Decker was a joke and when they reversed their decision to penalize the Pats for false start, and instead give the penalty to the Titans, I threw up a little in my mouth. Never seen that before

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
This conversation had absurd. As a high school (hopefully college this year) official, I laugh at most of the complaints on here. 85% of the complaints about officials are from fans who don't understand the rules and don't understand the difference between rule and philosophy. The "facemask" from yesterday is a perfect example. The RB being down or not on that non td run, is another perfect example of fans who have no clue.

Officiating has gotten dramatically better in the past 30 years but through instant replay and slow motion cameras, flaws are seen clearly. Officials are humans and make mistakes, it's part of the greatest game on earth. To think mistakes are a conspiracy is absurd.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
The only reason I dont believe it is all preplanned and the refs decide the game, is the fact I dont think these officials are competent enough to do so.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I've said it all along...blaming refs is what fans of the losing team does.

Titans played terrible last night. That simple. Bad offense, bad defense.

That sequence right before the end of the first half...4th and 1. Take a time out before the snap (the last TO), then do a pull play with Derrick Henry...who effin bounced BACKWARDS and into a herd of NE defenders. That was the Titans entire night in a nutshell.

You HAVE to run the ball against NE and push their defense around and attack them in the middle of the field through the air. Titans did neither of those things.

Blaming refs...stahp. 35-7 and people blaming refs. C'mon now.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
when they reversed their decision to penalize the Pats for false start, and instead give the penalty to the Titans, I threw up a little in my mouth. Never seen that before

I watched that play over and over.

The center’s head moved first. Then... Both other players moved simultaneously.

It looked like a no call to me. At the very least, on the center.

I understand why Titan fans would be upset.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Believe what you want about game fixing. I'm pushing 70 and I might have been born at night, but not last night. When it comes to huge sums of money there is ALWAYS a criminal element trying to get a piece of it. Bribe's, palm greasing, you name it, its been tried (and done) in the NFL. How much of it goes on and to what extent we can debate forever. You can explain it away all you want, but my eyes aren't deceiving me. Officials are influencing game outcomes, and the Patriots are official favorites. They have been getting preferential treatment for years.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
After watching this weekends games, and especially the Titans-Pats, am I the only one who thinks officials are instructed to influence games with calls, non-calls? It was obvious to me that the Patriots got lots of favorable calls, non-calls by refs. (been going on for many years) Steelers better have a good game plan because I don't think refs will be in their corner.

What say you?

No you’re not. I thought that for a while and this weekend‘s games went a long ways to confirm it. Dear Lord I mean the patriots wide receiver I don’t recall his name, did the same kind of a crackback block that that woods got flagged for and crickets… Nothing no call. New England gets close to the goal line called touchdown. Replay shows looks like it’s a few inches short, no touchdown it’s New England after all, touchdown.