Playoff Officiating

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Believe what you want about game fixing. I'm pushing 70 and I might have been born at night, but not last night. When it comes to huge sums of money there is ALWAYS a criminal element trying to get a piece of it. Bribe's, palm greasing, you name it, its been tried (and done) in the NFL. How much of it goes on and to what extent we can debate forever. You can explain it away all you want, but my eyes aren't deceiving me. Officials are influencing game outcomes, and the Patriots are official favorites. They have been getting preferential treatment for years.

Yeah except you have zero evidence to back that. Explain the gap from 2004 to 2014 season. That's a decade of no Super Bowl victories for them. Their last 2 wins are due to opponents being dumbasses. NOT officiating.

Refs did not sack Marcus Mariota 7 times or w/e amount it was last night. Refs did not allow Danny Amendola (!) of all people to look like Wes Welker V 2.0. Refs did not make the Titans look like bumbling fools on their last possession at the end of the 1st half.

I don't like NE more than any one else i.e., none. But that doesn't mean I'm gonna play the conspiracy card or w/e bs.

You know what MY youthful eyes tell me??? The Patriots are a good team. There is a way to beat them and very few teams actually implement it. Or if they do, they blow it because of their OWN downfall.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah except you have zero evidence to back that. Explain the gap from 2004 to 2014 season. That's a decade of no Super Bowl victories for them. Their last 2 wins are due to opponents being dumbasses. NOT officiating.

Refs did not sack Marcus Mariota 7 times or w/e amount it was last night. Refs did not allow Danny Amendola (!) of all people to look like Wes Welker V 2.0. Refs did not make the Titans look like bumbling fools on their last possession at the end of the 1st half.

I don't like NE more than any one else i.e., none. But that doesn't mean I'm gonna play the conspiracy card or w/e bs.

You know what MY youthful eyes tell me??? The Patriots are a good team. There is a way to beat them and very few teams actually implement it. Or if they do, they blow it because of their OWN downfall.
Nobody is saying the Patriots aren't a good team. But the vast majority of people who aren't Patriot fans are saying there were a handful of calls in the 1st half that were horrible calls all benefited the Patriots. They killed drives for the Titans and extended drives for the Patriots. It's a shame that game wasn't better officiated because I'd have like to see 2 good teams decide the game on the field. Momentum was completely and totally changed in that game multiple times in favor of the Patriots by calls and lack of calls.

Angry Ram

Nobody is saying the Patriots aren't a good team. But the vast majority of people who aren't Patriot fans are saying there were a handful of calls in the 1st half that were horrible calls all benefited the Patriots. They killed drives for the Titans and extended drives for the Patriots. It's a shame that game wasn't better officiated because I'd have like to see 2 good teams decide the game on the field. Momentum was completely and totally changed in that game multiple times in favor of the Patriots by calls and lack of calls.

In the grand scheme of things, bad calls shouldn't effect a team. Overcome. Teams have and still do.

The Titans aren't a good team. Not on NE's level, and it showed in the scenarios I described above. I'd say the 8 sacks and constant false starts, plus dropped passes, and lack of a run game with a hammer RB, killed drives more than the refs.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Like I said Mr. Angry. Believe what you want and explain away all you want. I'm not a big believer in coincidence.

Angry Ram

A decade gap of no Super Bowl victories debunks any coincidence you may have.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In the grand scheme of things, bad calls shouldn't effect a team. Overcome. Teams have and still do.

The Titans aren't a good team. Not on NE's level, and it showed in the scenarios I described above. I'd say the 8 sacks and constant false starts, plus dropped passes, and lack of a run game with a hammer RB, killed drives more than the refs.

Keep telling yourself that, because it happens every week in more sports than just the NFL.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I don't care if it's a conspiracy, incompetence, simple bias, or something else. The bottom line is the officials in last night's playoff game were extremely and obviously one-sided toward the Patriots, and were so at the time when the game was in doubt and the Titans were building some momentum. These were game-changing calls without a doubt.

Nobody will argue with the proposition that the Patriots are a better team. But the NFL is an "any given Sunday" league (or Saturday in this case) where upsets happen not infrequently. Maybe the Titans still wouldn't have won without those calls going against them and in favor of the Patriots. But those calls denied the Titans that chance.

It's disgusting and disgraceful and it's ruining the game.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This conversation had absurd. As a high school (hopefully college this year) official, I laugh at most of the complaints on here. 85% of the complaints about officials are from fans who don't understand the rules and don't understand the difference between rule and philosophy. The "facemask" from yesterday is a perfect example. The RB being down or not on that non td run, is another perfect example of fans who have no clue.

Officiating has gotten dramatically better in the past 30 years but through instant replay and slow motion cameras, flaws are seen clearly. Officials are humans and make mistakes, it's part of the greatest game on earth. To think mistakes are a conspiracy is absurd.

Haha, what a fucking load of fucking shit.

People have eyes and can clearly see what happens live.

Angry Ram

I don't care if it's a conspiracy, incompetence, simple bias, or something else. The bottom line is the officials in last night's playoff game were extremely and obviously one-sided toward the Patriots, and were so at the time when the game was in doubt and the Titans were building some momentum. These were game-changing calls without a doubt.

Nobody will argue with the proposition that the Patriots are a better team. But the NFL is an "any given Sunday" league (or Saturday in this case) where upsets happen not infrequently. Maybe the Titans still wouldn't have won without those calls going against them and in favor of the Patriots. But those calls denied the Titans that chance.

It's disgusting and disgraceful and it's ruining the game.

Umm no. Not even close. Titans totally outmatched. Their own incompetence lost them the game, not refs.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Umm no. Not even close. Titans totally outmatched. Their own incompetence lost them the game, not refs.

They may have lost with good officiating to be sure. But they were never given a chance.

Angry Ram

They may have lost with good officiating to be sure. But they were never given a chance.

They had plenty of chances but couldn't get the job done. Not even enough to kick a damn field goal.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
They had plenty of chances but couldn't get the job done. Not even enough to kick a damn field goal.

They had fewer chances because of the officiating. The phantom OPI on Decker attests to that, they had to surrender possession because of that play. That's one less chance in a game where every chance matters.

Angry Ram

They had fewer chances because of the officiating. The phantom OPI on Decker attests to that, they had to surrender possession because of that play. That's one less chance in a game where every chance matters.

I'm assuming you are talking about this one? Where Eric Decker clearly extends his arm out?? Ironic the person who posted this tweet contradicted himself.

Let's say you are right though, and the refs blew this call. It was 7-7 early in the 2nd quarter. You mean to tell me this call caused the Titans to fold the rest of the way, when there were almost 45 minutes of play time remaining?

C'mon. Titans were just outplayed. Even on this sequence the punter shanked it with a 36 yard punt.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm assuming you are talking about this one? Where Eric Decker clearly extends his arm out?? Ironic the person who posted this tweet contradicted himself.

Let's say you are right though, and the refs blew this call. It was 7-7 early in the 2nd quarter. You mean to tell me this call caused the Titans to fold the rest of the way, when there were almost 45 minutes of play time remaining?

C'mon. Titans were just outplayed. Even on this sequence the punter shanked it with a 36 yard punt.

hahaha, c'mon man. that's a horrible call that wouldn't be called on any team except one playing the patriots.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

The contact occurred within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, where it’s legal. The defender made contact as well.

Second, don’t mischaracterize my argument. Neither myself more anyone on this thread argued that the Titans lost because of that one call. But it did deny them a chance to maintain possession and establish momentum. That matters, particularly on the road and in the playoffs.

I sincerely hope one of your non-Rams teams gets totally screwed by the officials someday. You’ll probably still deny the reality in order to save face, but it won’t change the fact that your teams got screwed and their chances of winning were impacted by bad officiating. Call it just desserts.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

The paties outplayed the Titans. That much is true. But they also practically tripped over their dicks showing their love for the evil empire.

Bad calls can and do affect the outcomes of games. Not this game but it is utter ridiculousness to say that a team should have to play better to overcome bad calls. It's pretty natural that a ref is going to give a call based on what he thinks of the players involved. That tendency needs a counter. The refs and the NFL need to straighten this shit out.

I'm watching the Ain'ts/Viqueen game and they threw a flag on yet another phantom PI. The receiver simply fell down. That is a huge penalty that can GIVE a team points that they would not have EARNED. I really don't understand how calls like that should not be reviewable. It would have taken literally seconds for the guys in NY to reverse that call. No need to go under the hood. Everyone could see it. Just reverse it and move on. Those kinds of bad calls can completely change a game and affect how a team has to play. Put two or three of those in a game and you are screwed.