Playoff Officiating

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Well of course, 10 yard flag on a holding is influencing. And while I agree that bad calls are made, I don't think they are prevalent as what they are made out to be. One call that is (or isn't) made shouldn't cause an NFL team to suddenly cave. The Saints last night are prime examples of that. Hell didn't Robert Woods have a PF against Atlanta...and on the very next play Jared Goff threw a 3rd down conversion. That is overcoming.

But that's not the topic of discussion...it's that supposedly certain teams are "favored". And I think that's BS.
I think the refs can be influenced by the environment and

i'll never forget the game where the refs absolutely screwed the ravens when they were playing the cheats. first time the ravens rusher's pinky barely brushed brady's helmet and the flag came out. next time the ravens rusher dove at brady's leg and missed him. out came the flag. both on 3rd down. both incomplete passes. both became 1st down 15 yards down the field.

ray lewis pleaded with the media after the game for the refs to give them a chance to win. to let the players decide the game.

And don't forget the reason the patriots were even in the super bowl with the seahawks was because they came up with an illegal alignment and had an eligible receiver report as ineligible and the refs let them get away with it. At the time the Ravens defense was dominating them and it totally took them out of their game. Don't tell me the refs weren't influenced by the Patriots. It might not be a conspiracy but they always get the benefit of the doubt.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because it's not.

Here's what the rule says again:

You have to take things with these rules at face value. The first four words are "WHEN THE BALL IS SNAPPED." The ball is NOT being snapped when he's moving forward in the snip below. Also this paragraph applies to players in the backfield, which of course he falls under.

View attachment 23790

This is the precise moment the ball is snapped. When you watch the video he's not moving forward. Maybe a bit to his right because of his momentum, but not forward.

View attachment 23791

Here's another angle of it:

View attachment 23792

He's NOT moving forward at the time of the snap. Watch the video again, he comes up, stops for a moment, and then runs his route the moment the ball is snapped. And the rule does not require him to stop for a full second in this situation, as long as he's not moving forward.

Next paragraph in this rule is this:

This is where reset comes in, but it's for a player on the LINE. Rob Gronkowski is playing a "back" position in the backfield. So this doesn't apply in this case.

And the last paragraph states...

Rob Gronkowski is not under or behind center.

His movement doesn't fit into any of these situations, and that is why there was no flag. Not because the refs "allowed them to get away with it."

what are you talking about? the player has to get set before the ball is snapped. plus he ran forward. what were you watching?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I think the refs can be influenced by the environment and

Maybe and as Tony Gonzalez explained in that video it's a human psychological thing, but that doesn't mean they favor one team or are instructed to influence the outcome of the game.

And don't forget the reason the patriots were even in the super bowl with the seahawks was because they came up with an illegal alignment and had an eligible receiver report as ineligible and the refs let them get away with it. At the time the Ravens defense was dominating them and it totally took them out of their game. Don't tell me the refs weren't influenced by the Patriots. It might not be a conspiracy but they always get the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe you are right and that indeed was a mistake on the refs part. But the Ravens had the lead at half, and had plenty of favorable calls from the refs themselves. Their defense completely shit the bed on their, not because the refs allowed NE to get away with everything. Also, Joe Flacco had two chances to win the game, the first when he had plenty of time. Finally it seems liked Tom Brady got smacked around quite a bit in the game, too but no penalty on Baltimore for the "most protected player"?? Hmmm...

what are you talking about? the player has to get set before the ball is snapped. plus he ran forward. what were you watching?

As I already explained in the post you yourself quoted, it's just not a violation of the rule. No matter how much you think or want it to be. It's just not. He's NOT moving forward WHEN THE BALL IS SNAPPED. And video is right in front of you.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't believe there is a conscious effort to favor one team over the other. But I do believe teams that are considered established winners get the benefit of the doubt more than others. Refs are human. They can be influenced by different factors. Its why coaches are always trying to work the refs. Not so much for the last call, but for the next call.

Angry Ram

I don't believe there is a conscious effort to favor one team over the other. But I do believe teams that are considered established winners get the benefit of the doubt more than others. Refs are human. They can be influenced by different factors. Its why coaches are always trying to work the refs. Not so much for the last call, but for the next call.

A lot of it is up to to the team's responsibility too. The Rams were highly penalized from 2012 to 2016, and suddenly with a coaching change the penalties dropped significantly and the Rams weren't established winners, either.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
Because it's not.

Here's what the rule says again:

You have to take things with these rules at face value. The first four words are "WHEN THE BALL IS SNAPPED." The ball is NOT being snapped when he's moving forward in the snip below. Also this paragraph applies to players in the backfield, which of course he falls under.

View attachment 23790

This is the precise moment the ball is snapped. When you watch the video he's not moving forward. Maybe a bit to his right because of his momentum, but not forward.

View attachment 23791

Here's another angle of it:

View attachment 23792

He's NOT moving forward at the time of the snap. Watch the video again, he comes up, stops for a moment, and then runs his route the moment the ball is snapped. And the rule does not require him to stop for a full second in this situation, as long as he's not moving forward.

Next paragraph in this rule is this:

This is where reset comes in, but it's for a player on the LINE. Rob Gronkowski is playing a "back" position in the backfield. So this doesn't apply in this case.

And the last paragraph states...

Rob Gronkowski is not under or behind center.

His movement doesn't fit into any of these situations, and that is why there was no flag. Not because the refs "allowed them to get away with it."

Good Lord! He is moving forward! He is facing forward! That was an absolutely ridiculously missed call! I know what my eyes saw and continue to see. I watched it frame by frame on a full sized TV. The discussion is over if you are going to tell me I am not seeing what I know I saw. He is moving forward and did so for more than 2 yds.

Angry Ram

Good Lord! He is moving forward! He is facing forward! That was an absolutely ridiculously missed call! I know what my eyes saw and continue to see. I watched it frame by frame on a full sized TV. The discussion is over if you are going to tell me I am not seeing what I know I saw. He is moving forward and did so for more than 2 yds.

Again, for the third time, it's not a violation of the rule. The rule clearly states the following five words at the start:

"WHEN THE BALL IS SNAPPED"

He is absolutely moving forward, but BEFORE the ball is snapped.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Again, for the third time, it's not a violation of the rule. The rule clearly states the following five words at the start:

"WHEN THE BALL IS SNAPPED"

He is absolutely moving forward, but BEFORE the ball is snapped.

i'm not sure what you've been watching your whole life but i've never seen a player run forward before the ball is snapped.

plus the player has to be set for at least one second before the ball is snapped.

what are you even arguing?

Angry Ram

i'm not sure what you've been watching your whole life but i've never seen a player run forward before the ball is snapped.

plus the player has to be set for at least one second before the ball is snapped.

what are you even arguing?

For the fourth time, it's BEFORE the ball is snapped.

It is a motion play, it is legal. He's playing in the backfield, in line with the rule.

He's moving to a traditional TE spot on the line. No one else is moving. In line with the rule.

He's playing in the backfield, in line with the rule.

He stops for a moment, as the ball is snapped. In line with the rule.

It is NOT illegal motion, no matter what you want to believe. Keep making random statements pretending like you don't know what I'm saying.

Keep believing whatever conspiracy theory you want. On this play, I will keep referencing the rule. Maybe for a 5th time, then a 6th time, then a 7th time. Again and again.

Sorry not sorry my view is not the popular one.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For the fourth time, it's BEFORE the ball is snapped.

It is a motion play, it is legal. He's playing in the backfield, in line with the rule.

He's moving to a traditional TE spot on the line. No one else is moving. In line with the rule.

He's playing in the backfield, in line with the rule.

He stops for a moment, as the ball is snapped. In line with the rule.

It is NOT illegal motion, no matter what you want to believe. Keep making random statements pretending like you don't know what I'm saying.

Keep believing whatever conspiracy theory you want. On this play, I will keep referencing the rule. Maybe for a 5th time, then a 6th time, then a 7th time. Again and again.

Sorry not sorry my view is not the popular one.

i've never seen an offensive player run forward before the snap.

and he doesn't get set. he never stops. how can you argue against this point? he needs to be set for a second before the snap. he just keeps moving.

please tell me what you're seeing? please.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Give it up Kurt. yur talking to a brick wall.:banghead: :baghead:

Angry Ram

i've never seen an offensive player run forward before the snap.

Because he's going from a "back" position to a traditional TE spot on the line. There's no other direction BUT forward. But again, for the FIFTH time now, it's BEFORE the ball is snapped, according to the rule.

It's no different when a RB goes in motion towards the line to a WR spot. But all the occurs BEFORE the snap.

and he doesn't get set. he never stops. how can you argue against this point? he needs to be set for a second before the snap. he just keeps moving.

I've acknowledged before he doesn't get set for a full second, but he does get set - briefly. You can clearly see him stop and then restart full speed WHEN THE BALL IS SNAPPED.

please tell me what you're seeing? please.

The same video you are. I've already provided that video and screen grabs and illustrating my point, all in accordance to the rule. Nothing that suggests the refs are some how "favoring" NE.

Give it up Kurt. yur talking to a brick wall.:banghead: :baghead:

Funny, that's my exact reaction when I read your BS conspiracy theory.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because he's going from a "back" position to a traditional TE spot on the line. There's no other direction BUT forward. But again, for the FIFTH time now, it's BEFORE the ball is snapped, according to the rule.

It's no different when a RB goes in motion towards the line to a WR spot. But all the occurs BEFORE the snap.

I've acknowledged before he doesn't get set for a full second, but he does get set - briefly. You can clearly see him stop and then restart full speed WHEN THE BALL IS SNAPPED.

The same video you are. I've already provided that video and screen grabs and illustrating my point, all in accordance to the rule. Nothing that suggests the refs are some how "favoring" NE.

Funny, that's my exact reaction when I read your BS conspiracy theory.

he doesn't stop moving. he ran forward without stopping.

please go buy some glasses.

Angry Ram

he doesn't stop moving. he ran forward without stopping.

please go buy some glasses.

Not true. He stops for a moment. Not a full second, but a split second. He's not continuously running forward, if he was he wouldn't have to push off his back foot to run his route full speed. If he was like you claim, it would be one smooth continuous motion...which does not occur in the video.

Its not a flag, no matter how much you want to believe it. The rule is not violated, period.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

You're so smitten with the ideal of fair play that you can't see what's staring you in the face.

Angry Ram

No, I just read the official NFL rules and go off that.

You do you, keep believing in refs helping NE. It's BS.

Angry Ram

Like I said...he was...briefly.

I'm not gonna back off this, I will keep reverting back to the rule.