Playoff Officiating

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
They had 3 super bowls in close proximity then a gap shorter than some other teams between playoff appearances,

That has to with other teams' unable to build and sustain a team.

then 2 more super bowl wins in relatively close proximity.

Which they BARELY won. Everyone agrees how stupid the shitbirds were in that Super Bowl, and of course how in the hell does a team give up a 28-3 lead? And still have chance to win but because of a bad play call or bad execution, Atlanta blows it. What do the refs have to do with that???

I went back and dissected the flags. At face value Atlanta was penalized 9 times to NE's 4. Sounds pretty bad. But consider that 3 of those 9 came on ST or between scoring and ensuing kickoff.

7 flags were called on NE, but only 4 were accepted.

The Falcons overcame 3 holding calls on one drive and got a pick 6. The other 3, are typical flags you would see in any game which were called pretty evenly.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/2...s-patriots-vs-facons-blown-call-carl-cheffers

Anyone saying the Patriots were "favored" in this game, or the shitbird game is looking through it in one lens. Like I said all along, a team needs to punch NE in the mouth and beat them physically. So far only the Giants have done so.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
As much as I detest the Patriots organization, it's best to check the stats. Btw it's not just the amount of penalties that matters, it's when they're called and how for how many yards.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/

The NFL must hate the Seahawks the most because they led the 2017 season with 148 penalties called against them(16 games). The Panthers were the least penalized with 85(17 games). The Rams had 112(17 games) while the Patriots had 99(17 games). It's interesting that the Rams were flagged 62 times at home while only 50 times on the road.
Actually Petey's mantra at USC was to do it until they consistently call it. He figured his guys would get away with it most of the time. And he's still right. They get called more than anyone else but they foul far more than anyone else - especially in pass coverage.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i'll never forget the game where the refs absolutely screwed the ravens when they were playing the cheats. first time the ravens rusher's pinky barely brushed brady's helmet and the flag came out. next time the ravens rusher dove at brady's leg and missed him. out came the flag. both on 3rd down. both incomplete passes. both became 1st down 15 yards down the field.

ray lewis pleaded with the media after the game for the refs to give them a chance to win. to let the players decide the game.

Angry Ram

i'll never forget the game where the refs absolutely screwed the ravens when they were playing the cheats. first time the ravens rusher's pinky barely brushed brady's helmet and the flag came out. next time the ravens rusher dove at brady's leg and missed him. out came the flag. both on 3rd down. both incomplete passes. both became 1st down 15 yards down the field.

ray lewis pleaded with the media after the game for the refs to give them a chance to win. to let the players decide the game.

I can't seem to find the game you are referencing, the only one I found was an AFC title game where Billy Cundiff missed a 36 yard field goal to send the game to OT. Yeah, big influence those refs had on THAT game.

But I bet Ray Lewis happily skipped off the field when they beat them in the regular season when the calls went to his team's favor. And again the playoffs that same season.

http://wnst.net/baltimore-ravens/pa...emselves-for-late-game-meltdown-in-baltimore/

Oh but Ray Lewis bitched and moaned about officiating after losing the Eagles game the week prior that year (which wasn't even a close game, BTW).

Only teams and fans of the teams that lose whine about refs.

This article, tho...https://offthemonstersports.com/201...-group-of-referees-for-thursdays-home-opener/

Here's an article where an Eagles player (Lane Johnson) ADMITTED he got away with false starts...AGAINST the Patriots...http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...ntly-missed-8-eagles-false-starts-vs-patriots

-The Chiefs kicked NE's ass on NE's night to celebrate their 5 SB trophies. Despite according to that 2nd link drew a "favorable" officiating crew.

-The Eagles got away with calls AGAINST NE that year in the 3rd article I provided.

Do bad calls happen? Yes.

Do some teams get benefited by said bad calls, and vice versa? Yes.

Do I think there some BS conspiracy theory? NO.

I have provided links articles, referenced past games (including a decade with no SB wins) and provided videos and pictures on rules and how NE isn't "favored." I fail to see where anyone provide any evidence that NE (or any given team) is "favored".

The majority of these games are close, one possession or less. These games are the team's OWN problems. In the end the teams that lost had a chance to win in the end and failed.

Most people don't want to see NE win another Super Bowl. I will be right there with that majority, because I don't either. I'm not defending NE here, I'm arguing this BS conspiracy that so many have RE - the NFL and NE. A team wants to beat NE, how about a team follow what the Giants, Ravens, and Chiefs did and close it out instead of blowing it?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't seem to find the game you are referencing, the only one I found was an AFC title game where Billy Cundiff missed a 36 yard field goal to send the game to OT. Yeah, big influence those refs had on THAT game.

But I bet Ray Lewis happily skipped off the field when they beat them in the regular season when the calls went to his team's favor. And again the playoffs that same season.

http://wnst.net/baltimore-ravens/pa...emselves-for-late-game-meltdown-in-baltimore/

Oh but Ray Lewis bitched and moaned about officiating after losing the Eagles game the week prior that year (which wasn't even a close game, BTW).

Only teams and fans of the teams that lose whine about refs.

This article, tho...https://offthemonstersports.com/201...-group-of-referees-for-thursdays-home-opener/

Here's an article where an Eagles player (Lane Johnson) ADMITTED he got away with false starts...AGAINST the Patriots...http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...ntly-missed-8-eagles-false-starts-vs-patriots

-The Chiefs kicked NE's ass on NE's night to celebrate their 5 SB trophies. Despite according to that 2nd link drew a "favorable" officiating crew.

-The Eagles got away with calls AGAINST NE that year in the 3rd article I provided.

Do bad calls happen? Yes.

Do some teams get benefited by said bad calls, and vice versa? Yes.

Do I think there some BS conspiracy theory? NO.

I have provided links articles, referenced past games (including a decade with no SB wins) and provided videos and pictures on rules and how NE isn't "favored." I fail to see where anyone provide any evidence that NE (or any given team) is "favored".

The majority of these games are close, one possession or less. These games are the team's OWN problems. In the end the teams that lost had a chance to win in the end and failed.

Most people don't want to see NE win another Super Bowl. I will be right there with that majority, because I don't either. I'm not defending NE here, I'm arguing this BS conspiracy that so many have RE - the NFL and NE. A team wants to beat NE, how about a team follow what the Giants, Ravens, and Chiefs did and close it out instead of blowing it?

there's no conspiracy, the refs favour the cheats. that's a fact. especially in the playoffs. and every fan knows it. that's why they're so despised.

that game i referenced was a regular season game when the ravens-cheats rivalry was at it's peak. the year brady came back from injury i think. those calls were so bad you'd have to assume the ref was on the take, or wanted brady to marry his daughter and looked at him with goo goo eyes. like unbelievably bad. his pinky brushed the helmet. when a player misses the qb and still gets called for roughing the passer, c'mon.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Your agrugments are lame AR. You can explain away all you want. What you can't explain away is what mine and other ROD posters see with our own eyes. After 5 pages on the subject of offcials, you are the only one who doesn't believe officiating has been going downhill for years and that the patriots get favorable officiating. I can only guess you are either blind or married to an official.
It's obvious none of the posters in this thread will change your mind, or re-watching Patriot games where they get favorable calls,(and non-calls) and their opponents get a different set of rules will make you see differently. You are entitled to your opinion
The consensus here in this thread is that officiating in the NFL is sub-standard and getting worse, and some teams get favorable officiating. You are sorely out numbered. I'd like you to ask yourself why that is.
You claim only fans of loser teams complain about bad officiating. That simply isn't true and I'm sure you know it.

I started this thread wanting to know what everyone else thought about the current state of officiating.

Thanks for the input ROD, I think I got my answer.

Angry Ram

there's no conspiracy, the refs favour the cheats. that's a fact. especially in the playoffs. and every fan knows it. that's why they're so despised.

Where's your proof? Why is it then they lost and in most cases didn't even make it to the Super Bowl between 2004 and 2014? They are despised because they cheated and win all the team. That's it. Any notion that they are favored is a bunch of bull. Unless they provide something other than why they perceive as evidence.

that game i referenced was a regular season game when the ravens-cheats rivalry was at it's peak. the year brady came back from injury i think. those calls were so bad you'd have to assume the ref was on the take, or wanted brady to marry his daughter and looked at him with goo goo eyes. like unbelievably bad. his pinky brushed the helmet. when a player misses the qb and still gets called for roughing the passer, c'mon.

The only thing I found was a random fan blog complaining about the same thing everyone else does http://bleacherreport.com/articles/266924-roughing-the-passer-rule-needs-to-change

That year the Ravens lost to the regular season...barely. And yet the Ravens still had a shot to win or go to OT, but Mark Clayton apparently dropped a perfect pass. Ray Lewis bitched because his team lost. http://wnst.net/baltimore-ravens/ra...ting-embarrassing-in-ravens-loss-to-patriots/

They beat NE in the playoffs the previous year in 2009 and again in 2012. Also a regular season win in 2012, too.

The Patriots were one and done in 2009 and 2010 (against the Jets), lost the Super Bowl against the Giants, and lost to Denver in 2013. They barely won the Super Bowl the following year because of stupid shitbirds being stupid. They HAD that game, but failed. They lost in 2015 again to Denver and of course we know what Atlanta did the next season.

So again, based on game results...any notion that they are favored is a bunch of crap, man. And even if a call went against an opponent, somehow they still WON.

Angry Ram

Your agrugments are lame AR. You can explain away all you want. What you can't explain away is what mine and other ROD posters see with our own eyes. After 5 pages on the subject of offcials, you are the only one who doesn't believe officiating has been going downhill for years and that the patriots get favorable officiating. I can only guess you are either blind or married to an official.
It's obvious none of the posters in this thread will change your mind, or re-watching Patriot games where they get favorable calls,(and non-calls) and their opponents get a different set of rules will make you see differently. You are entitled to your opinion
The consensus here in this thread is that officiating in the NFL is sub-standard and getting worse, and some teams get favorable officiating. You are sorely out numbered. I'd like you to ask yourself why that is.
You claim only fans of loser teams complain about bad officiating. That simply isn't true and I'm sure you know it.

I started this thread wanting to know what everyone else thought about the current state of officiating.

Thanks for the input ROD, I think I got my answer.

I ask for proof of something...a link, a legit article (not some stupid fan blog) of a ref favoring NE. Not what is perceived.

You wanted what everyone else though about the current state? I gave mine. No need to automatically dismiss the unpopular answer because I disagree with your conspiracy theory.

I'm not going to grab my pitchfork with everyone else. I watch the game and I see the team that lost....fucked up in some way. Sometimes overall as a team, sometimes one mistake that cost them.

I gave proof showing otherwise by pointing to games where teams overcome whatever adversity or straight up BEAT the Patriots. Hell, even in those links the article is ABOUT bad calls.

I've acknowledged that bad calls happen, and teams get cost them and helped them. It's part of football. What I don't believe, is this bullshit notion that you made when you started this thread; that the refs are instructed to influence games.

Bottom line...you lose 35-7 there's a lot more problems than refs.

Last edited:

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. Because what storyline did Atlanta have last year? They were just there.

Peyton Manning was supposed to have a storybook ending in 2012 when he signed with Denver. But it didn't happen that season or in 2013 and 2014. The coach was replaced in that time span But their 4th year they win it all. Why did it take 4 years for one the leagues best QBs and PR figures in history to end his HoF career?

The ultimate story line was NE going for 19-0. Eli threw a sure INT to Asante Samuel which would've been a pick-6 and thus ended the game. But Asante Samuel dropped it. Eli leads a COME FROM BEHIND VICTORY TD DRIVE to BEAT NE. If there was some "conspiracy" this whole situation would never happened.

The sequel came again, this time for more storylines as NE was supposed to "revenge" the Giants. "Oh you can't beat NE twice" they said. And yet this was more a of a beatdown that last time. And NE lost AGAIN.

And this year...the story line would be better for NE to take on Pittsburgh, but Jax threw a wrench into everything. And on the NFC side the best matchup would've been Falcons/Saints. Division rivals that hate each other, with history and the QBs and superstars to boot. But both teams freaked themselves.

Did you misread my Post? I didn't say that it is pre-determined, ala WWE, I said
the NFL is at least trying to get the best matchups for TV Ratings sake? They can only do so much, can't be too obvious about it

That doesn't mean that they fully control the outcome of every game, your entire post is a straw-man argument against a position I didn't even take. I fully believe that the NFL tries to subtly influence the outcome of playoff games for the purpose of TV ratings. I have seen enough over the years in games I was watching from a neutral perspective, that I am convinced. Everyone on this board understands that in a game of inches, Penalty Calls, Non Calls, Ball Spots etc. can be the difference.

Angry Ram

That doesn't mean that they fully control the outcome of every game, your entire post is a straw-man argument against a position I didn't even take. I fully believe that the NFL tries to subtly influence the outcome of playoff games for the purpose of TV ratings. I have seen enough over the years in games I was watching from a neutral perspective, that I am convinced. Everyone on this board understands that in a game of inches, Penalty Calls, Non Calls, Ball Spots etc. can be the difference.

I didn't say that you claimed that are fully controlling. I was responding to your question of people believing the NFL isn't trying to get the best matchups and storylines. Which I don't agree with.

Straw man...funny. The whole thread was based on a conspiracy theory that I don't agree with, have provided all kinds of sources to back up my opinions showing that I DON'T believe refs are "instructed to influence" games with calls, and all I'm met with is "no, refs suck and favor Patriots you should know that" or something similar to that affect. I'm still waiting for anything legit showing that claim is true, besides what anyone perceives in their mind.

Watch the video at the link below for both sides of this issue.
Do refs show the Patriots favoritism? NFL rules analyst Dean Blandino responds

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/speak-for-yourself/video/1074546755764

What a great little video. Tony Gonzalez, a former player, states himself he got away with missed calls and got burned by calls. Best quote by him: "You're gonna win some, you're gonna lose some."

Colin Cowherd also brings up Brett Favre and Peyton Manning...and they were BELOVED back in the day.

Dean Blandino brings in actual number and facts showing that this so called bias actually doesn't exist.

Then you got Jason Whitlock playing the "It's just Tom Brady"...with no evidence, no proof, nothing. Dude doesn't even respond or acknowledge to the other three guys.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't say that you claimed that are fully controlling. I was responding to your question of people believing the NFL isn't trying to get the best matchups and storylines. Which I don't agree with.

Straw man...funny. The whole thread was based on a conspiracy theory that I don't agree with, have provided all kinds of sources to back up my opinions showing that I DON'T believe refs are "instructed to influence" games with calls, and all I'm met with is "no, refs suck and favor Patriots you should know that" or something similar to that affect. I'm still waiting for anything legit showing that claim is true, besides what anyone perceives in their mind.

Go back and read my post and your response. You countered my post with a complete straw-man, as I never claimed that they controlled outcomes, which was your counter to my post.

On a separate note, I also hate the argument that calls shouldn't matter and that the team should play better so the calls don't affect them. As if using that logic, the other team couldn't just play better too, along with the benefit of the calls in their favor. No team plays a perfect game, so you could always point to plays that didn't work, mistakes etc. Taking that logic even further, you could conclude that the refs could never affect the outcome of any game, which is ridiculous.

In theory, yes, you could play better and execute every play perfectly, but so could the other team. Is the logical conclusion that both teams deserve to lose, because they both made mistakes? That you truly only deserve to win if you play a perfect game? But then, in the case of both teams playing the perfect game, the thing that would decide the winner, could only be who gets the calls. LOL

That line of reasoning generally comes from the mentality of "Don't make excuses", which I respect. And I agree that blaming the refs is a crutch that a lot of fans depend on to deal with losses. Like most things, the extreme at either end is probably not the best place to be.

All I am saying is that I have watched a lot of football in my life, and a lot of playoff football in my life, and to me there is too much for me to ignore. The way that the calls, the spots, the non calls and the timing of those calls and non calls is almost always consistently in one team's favor, in playoff games especially, is too much for me to ignore.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I have not kept up with this thread much and I just read this last page (5).

This is an interesting idea of the officiating being worse. I come up with all sorts of thoughts when I think about this.

I stopped watching the NBA because I got sick of watching guys shoot free throws and felt that refs were influencing games too much.

Refs influencing games too much is likely what all the gripe comes down too, let the players decide the outcome of the game within the constructs/rules of the game.

When I reffed soccer I let players play.

But I keep thinking. How much does technology in general have a play in people's opinions regarding this subject? 10 years ago I wouldn't have been able to actually watch the Rams games. I could listen on the radio and I could follow the tracker on nfl.com. I wasn't going to be able to base any opinion on play calls or anything like that unless the Rams were televised. I may catch a game or two from other teams but I didn't have a dog in the fight and was simply watching the game. I'd see bad calls now or then, but nothing like if I was watching a Rams game - know what I mean?

But more recently I have the ability to watch every Rams game - and all other games. I have the ability to chat with people, like you, from all over the world that all have different perspectives and views of every play.

Heck just this past weekend I've been so down-trodden about the Rams loss that I didn't even watch a game. Yet I heard about the Viking and Saint game and I decided to go rewatch it (gamepass). What a great game! What I observed though is the Saints getting a crazy amount of PI calls and I would see similar plays by Viking players not have a flag thrown. I observed this with my eyes.

Did the Saints still have the game in the bag with smart play, sure! However, I saw a guy Wiff on a sure thing pass break up or tackle, but I also watched that play enough to see him absolutely let up. A PI call would have been devastating As devastating as what happened? No. but truly devastating and considering the way the game had been called I just can't imagine that PI wasn't in that rookies head (who had a pretty good game by the way).

Angry Ram

Go back and read my post and your response. You countered my post with a complete straw-man, as I never claimed that they controlled outcomes, which was your counter to my post.

This is my direct response to your old post.

Angry Ram said:
No. Because what storyline did Atlanta have last year? They were just there.

Peyton Manning was supposed to have a storybook ending in 2012 when he signed with Denver. But it didn't happen that season or in 2013 and 2014. The coach was replaced in that time span But their 4th year they win it all. Why did it take 4 years for one the leagues best QBs and PR figures in history to end his HoF career?

The ultimate story line was NE going for 19-0. Eli threw a sure INT to Asante Samuel which would've been a pick-6 and thus ended the game. But Asante Samuel dropped it. Eli leads a COME FROM BEHIND VICTORY TD DRIVE to BEAT NE. If there was some "conspiracy" this whole situation would never happened.

The sequel came again, this time for more storylines as NE was supposed to "revenge" the Giants. "Oh you can't beat NE twice" they said. And yet this was more a of a beatdown that last time. And NE lost AGAIN.

And this year...the story line would be better for NE to take on Pittsburgh, but Jax threw a wrench into everything. And on the NFC side the best matchup would've been Falcons/Saints. Division rivals that hate each other, with history and the QBs and superstars to boot. But both teams fucked themselves.

I did not type out the word "control" in any way or any other term. YOU mentioned storylines, and THAT is what I countered with, and pointed out scenarios where better matchups and scenarios could have happened, but didn't.

On a separate note, I also hate the argument that calls shouldn't matter and that the team should play better so the calls don't affect them. As if using that logic, the other team couldn't just play better too, along with the benefit of the calls in their favor. No team plays a perfect game, so you could always point to plays that didn't work, mistakes etc. Taking that logic even further, you could conclude that the refs could never affect the outcome of any game, which is ridiculous.

But the whole argument that I'm trying to make is that refs DON'T favor a team. Watch the video that Prime Time provided, in which Tony Gonzalez stated you get calls and don't get calls. No team plays a perfect game, yes you are right, and no ref is perfect either. They are gonna miss calls and make bad ones because of judgement.

In theory, yes, you could play better and execute every play perfectly, but so could the other team. Is the logical conclusion that both teams deserve to lose, because they both made mistakes? That you truly only deserve to win if you play a perfect game? But then, in the case of both teams playing the perfect game, the thing that would decide the winner, could only be who gets the calls. LOL

When a team plays like the Titans did last weekend, THAT is why the deserved to lose. Because they couldn't execute, they looked lost, they looked confused, and looked like they didn't know what to do.

A 7-7 ball game at the time, and then proceed to not score again until less than two minutes left, all while giving up 28 points in the process.

I'm not impling a team should play to perfection. What I'm saying when I mean overcome...is that one a call goes against you, you have more than enough opportunity to make up for. I.E., getting a long yardage gain or forcing a 3 and out on the next possession, etc.

I'll give you an example, in the Rams/Titans game, Robert Quinn had a roughing the passer penalty. Warranted or not, it happened. Instead of this affecting the entire drive, the Rams forced a punt and got the ball back (this was the sequence when the next offensive possession the Titans got a fumble return TD). This is what I mean when I go "overcome". The Rams did not play perfectly against the Titans, but ended up still winning.

That line of reasoning generally comes from the mentality of "Don't make excuses", which I respect. And I agree that blaming the refs is a crutch that a lot of fans depend on to deal with losses. Like most things, the extreme at either end is probably not the best place to be.

I can agree with this. I've acknowledged that bad calls happen, but again for me I don't buy into the conspiracy theory that certain teams are favored. Especially when no proof is given.

All I am saying is that I have watched a lot of football in my life, and a lot of playoff football in my life, and to me there is too much for me to ignore. The way that the calls, the spots, the non calls and the timing of those calls and non calls is almost always consistently in one team's favor, in playoff games especially, is too much for me to ignore.

So have I, but that one team (NE) had a decade long drought of no Super Bowls. They've also lost in AFC Title games, and other times they were simply one and done. They play in a weak division because the AFCE most of the time can't build or sustain a team for whatever reason. THAT is why they win, because they are GOOD. When they play against tough competition in the playoffs, they have lost games quite a bit. Claiming they are favored by refs only would allow them to win more. But they LOSE when they get punched in the mouth, as evidenced the Giants, Chiefs, Ravens, etc.

Angry Ram

What I observed though is the Saints getting a crazy amount of PI calls and I would see similar plays by Viking players not have a flag thrown. I observed this with my eyes.

Did the Saints still have the game in the bag with smart play, sure! However, I saw a guy Wiff on a sure thing pass break up or tackle, but I also watched that play enough to see him absolutely let up. A PI call would have been devastating As devastating as what happened? No. but truly devastating and considering the way the game had been called I just can't imagine that PI wasn't in that rookies head (who had a pretty good game by the way).

The Saints had four flags called for PI on them. Two of which happened in the first quarter. The first one, I agree with was not good call, but pointed out WHY the ref pulled it (see the pic I posted earlier).

But the Saints held the Vikings to a FG, limited the damage.

The real problem for the Saints though, was allowing Minnesota to march down the field on a 14 play drive, in which a Viking TD was called BACK for holding, but ended up scoring a couple plays anyway. 14 plays, a favorable call, and Saints still allowed a TD. Can't blame refs for that one.

The Saints having punts and INTs in the first half more than positive production did them in, but they adjusted and fought back like you said. The Saints were called once for PI during the second half, which was declined b/c the Viking WR caught it anyway.

A PI at the end would have been a spot fall and a long FG attempt. The last play was a true fuck up by the Saints.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
Because it's not. His TD starts at 1:28, and he clearly is set before the snap.

http://edge-operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2017-nfl-rulebook/#section-4-action-at-or-before-the-snap

Dan Fouts calling the Jags/Steelers? I assuming you mean Troy. But for me, one graphic said it more that the announcers also brought up for the Saints offensive possessions...punt, punt, punt, INT, INT. Throw in a missed FG and that's tells me more than officiating.

Analysts have the luxury of seeing the replay multiple times and many different angles in slow mo. It would slow the game in in real time. It would take minutes (maybe a couple or three) between the initial review, calling down, resetting the ball, resetting the game and play clocks, etc. It would compound over the course of the game (assuming they make more than one per game).

I don't like NE, I don't want them to win, I don't like Rob Gronkowski, I'm just saying that the refs didn't influence this outcome and that there isn't some sort of conspiracy of handing NE wins.

I don't think there are very few people who share my view. I think I'm the only one with this view. For a league where teams and fans alike pound their chest and bellow "no excuses", complaining about refs I find so ironic.

I apologize. It was not for a TD. It was the 3rd qtr catch for about 20 yds. Now, watch that play and tell me how that motion at least 2 yds forward was missed?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I apologize. It was not for a TD. It was the 3rd qtr catch for about 20 yds. Now, watch that play and tell me how that motion at least 2 yds forward was missed?

maybe the refs let the cheats use cfl rules on offense. run forward before the snap, crack back block, whatever. the cheats can do as they please.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59

Go 36 seconds into the video of Gronks six catches. Watch that play and convince me how refs miss a player as big as Gronk lined up by Brady simply heading 2 or 3 yards toward the line of scrimmage without stopping! It wasn’t a questionable foot or so, we are talking yards! They chose not to flag them on that play, because you know darn well they saw it.

RocknRam29

Live, Love, Laugh, & Learn
FB_IMG_1516255809452.jpg

Angry Ram

Go 36 seconds into the video of Gronks six catches. Watch that play and convince me how refs miss a player as big as Gronk lined up by Brady simply heading 2 or 3 yards toward the line of scrimmage without stopping! It wasn’t a questionable foot or so, we are talking yards! They chose not to flag them on that play, because you know darn well they saw it.

Because it's not.

Here's what the rule says again:

When the ball is snapped, one player who is lined up in the backfield may be in motion, provided that he is moving parallel to or away from the line of scrimmage. No player is permitted to be moving toward the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped. All other players must be stationary in their positions.

You have to take things with these rules at face value. The first four words are "WHEN THE BALL IS SNAPPED." The ball is NOT being snapped when he's moving forward in the snip below. Also this paragraph applies to players in the backfield, which of course he falls under.

upload_2018-1-18_16-49-47.png

This is the precise moment the ball is snapped. When you watch the video he's not moving forward. Maybe a bit to his right because of his momentum, but not forward.

upload_2018-1-18_17-11-8.png

Here's another angle of it:

upload_2018-1-18_17-12-35.png

He's NOT moving forward at the time of the snap. Watch the video again, he comes up, stops for a moment, and then runs his route the moment the ball is snapped. And the rule does not require him to stop for a full second in this situation, as long as he's not moving forward.

Next paragraph in this rule is this:

If an eligible receiver who is on the line moves to another position on the line (not forward), he must reset prior to the snap. If he does not reset, it is Illegal Motion.

This is where reset comes in, but it's for a player on the LINE. Rob Gronkowski is playing a "back" position in the backfield. So this doesn't apply in this case.

And the last paragraph states...

It is also Illegal Motion, if a player under or behind center goes in motion and fails to come to a complete stop for at least one full second prior to the snap.

Rob Gronkowski is not under or behind center.

His movement doesn't fit into any of these situations, and that is why there was no flag. Not because the refs "allowed them to get away with it."