PFF: Signature Stats - Tackling Efficiency (Linebackers)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It wasn't. It was aimed in a general direction. And I meant it. And will defend it, btw.
JL is individually responsiblefor all runs from scrimmage over 3- 5 yards?
Are people really saying that?
Does one really believe that?
He's the resson? How can that possibly be with our vaunted line?
STFU is a nice way of saying maybe one should review some tape.
Not to mention that he doesn't miss games. And has a brain. And calls the D

And is more than adequate in PC. And saints be praised is not Ray Malauga.
I do feel bad for him however, missing time on ESPN. Like Willis - 0h wait, he gone. Or Peterson - oh, wait, him too
Or Borland , or Brooks?

"Gotta have them highliyght hits dude
, or your irrelevant.

Sure it was in general but I know a few posters on here that don't like him. Seems to be aimed at them. STFU is never a nice way to say anything and getting excited over some half assed stat doesn't make it right.

JL does some things well and other things not so well. Do I need highlight tackles? Not always but a few would be nice. I can't recall any in JLs entire career though. Would I take Patrick Willis over JL? Hell yeah. Pointing out that he retired due to a foot injury doesn't really mean he wasn't as the better Linebacker. I am also not so sure why you are naming so many 49ers in comparison.

I don't usually complain about Laurinitis because I know he does other parts of his job well. Making tackles at or near the line just isn't one of his strengths. He is usually chasing on tackles. It would be nice to see an occasional stuff now and then though.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Thought it said "Drink before you post". Overreacted - my bad.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I'd also like to add that, due to concussions, we better get used to the idea of people again tackling in the NFL as opposed to them just running around like cue balls trying to knock ball carriers down.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

Ideally, I don't want reckless tacklers at all. They're great at the 3 and 1 stop, but they're the reason you've got 3 and 1 in the first place. They're also the reason your team is on sportscenter watching a guy rumble 65 yards on a 5 yard out.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hmm....tackling efficiency.....I'll let my eyes decide if this "stat" means anything.....PFF....stats...IDK man...watch the game...look at overall rush yards allowed & yards per carry....if you never get your hands on a ball carrier, is that counted as a missed tackle?

Oh, and you can bring someone down with your teeth as far as I'm concerned...wrap, shoulder, helmet...it's all the same...as long as you get some stuffs...oh, there's a stat...at or behind the LOS

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for posting this X!

This isn't directly related to the JL conversation, more of a general thought, but a neat supplement to this might be Yards After Contact Allowed. Like, an average of how much a defender would allow after initial contact before they were brought the guy down or forced him out of bounds.
I can't find a stat-line for that anywhere. I've tried though, and figured PFF would be the one site that would chart something like that.

Have you seen anything like that before?

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
I can't find a stat-line for that anywhere. I've tried though, and figured PFF would be the one site that would chart something like that.

Have you seen anything like that before?

I haven't, and I suspect it might be kinda difficult to chart. Would be cool though.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I haven't, and I suspect it might be kinda difficult to chart. Would be cool though.
Yeah it would.

All we have are stuffs, TFLs, and tackling efficiency. Laurinatis is good at some things and lacking in others, so it is what it is. I just wish that we could all appreciate what he does for us without dwelling so much on where he falls short. I mean, *we* can't cut him, so why not support the effort until someone with the power to make those decisions ... does.

Fan is short for fanatic.
Its also my acronym for Fuck All Negativity.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
Yeah it would.

All we have are stuffs, TFLs, and tackling efficiency. Laurinatis is good at some things and lacking in others, so it is what it is. I just wish that we could all appreciate what he does for us without dwelling so much on where he falls short. I mean, *we* can't cut him, so why not support the effort until someone with the power to make those decisions ... does.

Fan is short for fanatic.
Its also my acronym for freak All Negativity.

I'm with ya on the role of us FANs.

I could be wrong on this -- but it seems like everyone who has coached JL says a lot of his value lies in communication and leadership.

I think that sometimes, the temptation is for some folks to suggest that any old Joe can fulfill that type of role. But my guess is in reality that's a less common thing than we might think. So while JL's impact on a box score may be kind of vanilla (tackles only, instead of the "sexy" stats like TFLs, sacks, FF, picks, etc), and he's often seen as a guy who is in on gang tackles 4-5 yards past the LOS, his impact on the defense runs far deeper than that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Looks like Tree needs to clean that crap up. Time to shine Alec. I like what CLong had to say about him though. Time to make some waves.

Coming in out of shape to camp last year really hurt AO. He didn't do that this year........ (y)

…..

Legend
I kinda view tackling like any other metric or measurable in the NFL. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Imagine if Greg the leg missed 10 field goals and made 122 . We'd all be pleased as it would be an 10% improvement over his 2014 average and 8% over his career avarage.

Missed tackle statistics are very difficult to track accurately and I rarely put any stock in them unless something is really glaring and the stats match up to the eye. In Tree's case, I'm sure alot of his "misses" are due to his speed which allows him to even get to the ball, but then the open field and lack of leverage contribute negatively at the point of contact.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think that sometimes, the temptation is for some folks to suggest that any old Joe can fulfill that type of role. But my guess is in reality that's a less common thing than we might think.
So these young MLB's....Look at the guy in NO (Anthony) and the dude at Tampa (Kwon Alexander) are just so special, definitely not the any ole joe tag? How bout that Borland guy that retired? How about Kuechly? First year starters, at some position supposedly only a math major can handle? and if he is the "leader" of the defense and calls all the signals, I guess he's to blame when we're in the wrong defense? When a coverage looks horrible...Or with the overall results of being 19th (or whatever we rank)in the league in defense...If you want all the credit, accept all the blame too.....

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Yards after contact is tracked but you can only get access from "premium" stat places like ESPN, Stats, Inc., PFF. And PFF probably only has the running back info, not defense team yards after contact allowed. So we're at the mercy of ESPN "journalists" to twit (tweet?) out the stat whenever it helps their cause of the day. For example you'll see it used to "prove why" the 49ers or Seattle defense is just so good. But then the stat magically disappears when they lose the Super Bowl giving up tons of yards after contact.

That's because for a stat to be meaningful you need to look at its statistical viability as a whole, not just for 1 or 2 teams at the top or bottom. Is there a statistical correlation to "yards after contact allowed" and defense ranking? Turnovers? Or most important -- wins? Does this correlation repeat year after year to show it's a "skill" of a defense, or does it wildly fluctuate year to year due to the randomness of football, skill of opponent, small sample size of only 16 game seasons, personnel/coaching turnover, etc...

Then to try to tie it to an individual LB would be a pretty big nightmare since football is such a team sport. You'd penalize a player who has bad teammates that don't help out when a missed tackle happens. Can you follow a player that's been traded and see if his "yards after contact" is sticky year to year? What about a guy that swipes more at a ball to get a fumble and maybe has more missed tackles and yards after contact as a result?

So it's probably a lot more valuable to look at that player's tackling efficiency itself -- and deal with the shortcomings of that stat -- not to see how many yards ultimately happened after they miss a tackle. In short, while nice info to have it comes with all the usual caveats of NFL stats and propensity to misuse conclusions from it.

Oops forgot this fun quote: "one of the first things defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo spoke about was the number of yards after contact allowed by the defense. Well, that is obviously due to a deficiency in tackling and Spagnuolo is leaving nothing to chance in that regard."

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
So these young MLB's....Look at the guy in NO (Anthony) and the dude at Tampa (Kwon Alexander) are just so special, definitely not the any ole joe tag? How bout that Borland guy that retired? How about Kuechly? First year starters, at some position supposedly only a math major can handle? and if he is the "leader" of the defense and calls all the signals, I guess he's to blame when we're in the wrong defense? When a coverage looks horrible...Or with the overall results of being 19th (or whatever we rank)in the league in defense...If you want all the credit, accept all the blame too.....

If you want to discount that role that's of course your prerogative.

I'm just saying that through multiple regimes we've seen a few different HCs and DCs put value on what JL does in these arenas, despite the fact that he doesn't bring a whole lot of sexy stats or flashy plays, and they might not be total idiots for thinking that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I really never realized JL was such a lightning rod before a little while ago. But if I follow the logic, I'm going to have to change the way I talk about this team. Ima have to call out Saffold because he's not Marshal Yanda, and call out Quick/Britt because they're not Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson, and call out Brockers because he's not Gerald McCoy, and call out Foles because he's not Brady, and call out Cook because he's not Gronkowski, and so on. I mean, gosh, our whole team is comprised of players who have superior peers in the NFL right now.

I'm gonna just covet from now on.
It's only a sin if you get caught.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
I really never realized JL was such a lightning rod before a little while ago. But if I follow the logic, I'm going to have to change the way I talk about this team. Ima have to call out Saffold because he's not Marshal Yanda, and call out Quick/Britt because they're not Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson, and call out Brockers because he's not Gerald McCoy, and call out Foles because he's not Brady, and call out Cook because he's not Gronkowski, and so on. I mean, gosh, our whole team is comprised of players who have superior peers in the NFL right now.

I'm gonna just covet from now on.
It's only a sin if you get caught.

I think he's seen as the weak link a lot in this front 7 (or 6) because he doesn't get sacks and turnovers, and a majority of his tackles are seen as the gang tackle/3-5 yards past the LOS type plays.

I don't think anyone that's coached him has shared this observation, but it remains an observation nonetheless...like how SJ used to "dance too much."

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If you want to discount that role that's of course your prerogative.

I'm just saying that through multiple regimes we've seen a few different HCs and DCs put value on what JL does in these arenas, despite the fact that he doesn't bring a whole lot of sexy stats or flashy plays, and they might not be total idiots for thinking that.
How has our defense looked during his tenure?

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
How has our defense looked during his tenure?

They looked pretty rocking the second half of last year, Giant game aside. But there have been some down spots prior to that for as much talent as they have assembled, I get that. I don't put most of the blame at JL's feet for that myself.

Personally, I'm a lot more angsty about Rodney McLeod.