PFF: Signature Stats - Tackling Efficiency (Linebackers)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Our Signature Stat section is loaded with unique measures of player ability, perhaps none simpler than our Tackling Efficiency stat. While the main pages will show missed tackles, the signature stat page puts them into context against the rest of the league. While scouts will often cite poor tackling technique or laud the ability of “sure tacklers,” nothing gets to the heart of it like an actual on-field measure of tackling. It’s pretty self-explanatory but here’s more information about Tackling Efficiency and a look at the best tackling linebackers in 2014.

o91KUtS.jpg

While he didn’t have a great year from a grade standpoint (-8.9), James Laurinaitis proved to be a sure tackler missing just one out of every 27.3 attempts. Jasper Brinkley added his usual fine work in the running game to go with his strong tackling while rookie fifth-round pick Avery Williamson was a nice find for the Titans. He didn’t miss a tackle in coverage all season.

cqAUr7G.jpg

Larry Foote was active in Arizona’s 3-4 scheme, but unfortunately he was unable to complete a number of plays including missing one out of every 5.4 tackle attempts. A surprising name on the list is that of Brandon Spikes who seemed to be a fixture among the top tacklers in the league when he was in New England but he missed one of every 7.3 attempts in his first year with the Bills. Curtis Lofton led all ILBs with 22 missed tackles including missing one of every 7.5 attempts to tie for ninth-worst in the league.

Rookie Watch

Williamson had a nice season while Browns LB Chris Kirksey was right behind him, missing one of every 18.8 tackles. The only other rookie with significant playing time was Ravens LB C.J. Mosley who had an excellent first season coming in third in our Defensive Rookie of the Year voting. He made plays all over the field, but his tackling efficiency landed in the middle of the pack with one miss in every 10.1 attempts.

zRPSDMI.jpg

A breakout season for Brandon Marshall was highlighted by ranking in the top spot among 4-3 outside linebackers in the tackling department. He got in on 110 total tackles with only four misses. A pair of rookies took up the No. 3 and No. 4 spots in Preston Brown and Christian Jones. Defensive Player of the Year third runner up, Von Miller, ranked fifth as he proved a sure tackler in addition to his usual pass rushing and run stopping acumen.

msioQvi.jpg

Despite a strong debut for Vikings rookie LB Anthony Barr, he struggled in space at times in his new role as a traditional linebacker and missed one of every 4.5 tackle attempts including a league-high 16 in coverage. Second-year LB Alec Ogletree is another player that flashed his potential throughout the season but poor tackling held him to a -3.9 overall grade as he missed 10 tackles in the run game and 10 in the passing game.

Rookie Watch

Aside from Barr’s struggles, the rookies fared well as Brown and Jones ranked near the top and defensive rookie of the year runner-up Khalil Mack fell right in the middle with one miss every 8.9 attempts. Though he didn’t have enough snaps to qualify for the list, Giants rookie LB Devon Kennard missed only one tackle in 39 attempts while Falcons LB Prince Shembo missed one of every 26 attempts, both marks that would have ranked among the best with enough snaps.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Looks like Tree needs to clean that shit up. Time to shine Alec. I like what CLong had to say about him though. Time to make some waves.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Much like the splash play stat for a MLB - especially in this scheme.

fearsomefour

Legend
It is interesting the snap numbers and numbers of tackles....again, scheme could play a major role in this.
I love the potential of Ogletree. I think once he can relax and just react (hopefully this year) he will be one of the these best OLB in the NFL.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
True - but virtually every stat can be twisted to match an opinion of a player.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I did think before I posted.

Anyone who questions James Laurinaitis's value to this team, should stick with baseball.

Or maybe soccer. Or maybe should STFU.
The Rams have had dogshit at MLB since Fletcher left, and people want to rag on JL?

Never ceases to amaze me. It just never ceases to amaze me how ignorant some fans can be. :palm:

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
JL is not bad and those stats make him look great, but I'd take a few more missed tackles from James if it meant he made more stops overall, closer to the line.

BTW STFU probably isn't a good way to end a post around here, even if it was directed at an individual poster.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
It wasn't. It was aimed in a general direction. And I meant it. And will defend it, btw.
JL is individually responsiblefor all runs from scrimmage over 3- 5 yards?
Are people really saying that?
Does one really believe that?
He's the resson? How can that possibly be with our vaunted line?
STFU is a nice way of saying maybe one should review some tape.
Not to mention that he doesn't miss games. And has a brain. And calls the D

And is more than adequate in PC. And saints be praised is not Ray Malauga.
I do feel bad for him however, missing time on ESPN. Like Willis - 0h wait, he gone. Or Peterson - oh, wait, him too
Or Borland , or Brooks?

"Gotta have them highliyght hits dude
, or your irrelevant.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's true. I absolutely loathe the "catch %" stat for wide receivers and have gone round and round with people about that one in the past. I even had to make a freaking video to show someone why certain passes aren't caught even though they were thrown 'to' the receiver.

The article I provided is pretty straight forward though. It's just one measurable. Tackling efficiency. And they do point out some of these players' overall "grades" in addition to their ranking in this measurable. I understand it doesn't point out the quality of the tackles, where they're made, or in what situations, but it does tell us how often they're missed. JL has always been a wrap-up tackler since his days at Ohio State, and he's going to be a wrap-up tackler until he retires. Other players may wrap-up, but will also have a tendency to try and lay the wood with a shoulder hit or something from time to time, so they might whiff on occasion. I'll agree that while that may alter their ranking in this measurable, it doesn't make them a bad player or a poor tackler. And that article doesn't try to paint that kind of picture anyway.

IMO, the reason there's this perception that JL "makes tackles 5 yards past the LOS" (which is patently false) is because he doesn't sacrifice technique. I'm sure if he exploded into gaps like a spear, that there would be less criticism of his presence in the middle. Even if he did miss from time to time, it would be eclipsed by the perception that he's a big hitter.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
STFU is a nice way of saying maybe one should review some tape.
STFU is not a nice way of saying anything dude. Chill. Theses stats match pretty much what I have seen. He makes the tackles that he gets his hands on, wherever that may be. He IS a sure tackler, of that there is no debate, at least by me. Now, if this stat has you all riled up about JL's value, how do you explain the (-8.9) overall grade? For the record, I am not one of the posters that feels JL needs to be replaced. I think ALL of PFFs stats need to be taken with an entire shaker of salt.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It is my opinion that we have a lot of players on this defense who could take some JL classes on tackling. One of the most frustrating aspects of our defense to me.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Not a fan of PFF, but has anyone else notice that while Laurinaitis has more snaps than anyone listed in that top 10 ILB list, half of the guys listed have more or are within 3-5 solo tackles? Are they better able to get to more plays? Or is it just different schemes / circumstances? Probably a little of both, IMO.

Perhaps that has a little to do with this sites (-8.9) overall grade which some on this thread seem to have ignored. Just saying.:whistle:

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
Thanks for posting this X!

This isn't directly related to the JL conversation, more of a general thought, but a neat supplement to this might be Yards After Contact Allowed. Like, an average of how much a defender would allow after initial contact before they were brought the guy down or forced him out of bounds.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
It is my opinion that we have a lot of players on this defense who could take some JL classes on tackling. One of the most frustrating aspects of our defense to me.

This is so true! I get so frustrated watching players that have lousy fundamental tackling technique, trying for the big hit and missing completely! Makes you wonder who is coaching them.

This team has enough tackling challenged players without replacing JL with another one!