Peat smoke = Message to Barksdale?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
The Rams hold all the chips in the Barksdale negotiations. Sending him a message isn't necessary. It's not Barksdale who won't sign a deal, it's the Rams telling him that they are going to wait after the draft to offer him one.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Anyone thinking we're trying to get a deal with Barks done before the draft, and using a perceived preference for Peat (dig that alliteration, baby!) as leverage?
Forget the alliteration, the first half title had me thinking of scotch for a second and I thought that had to be on purpose.

Well played.

WestCoastRam

Legend
It sounds like the prevailing thought is that the Rams aren't concerning themselves with Barksdale anymore until after the draft. It actually makes sense. My guess is that they have a contract on the table. Barksdale knows it. Barksdale is taking the chance that he can get a slightly better deal after the draft. The Rams are unwilling to change anything in the contract at this point - and why should they - they can see what they get in the draft. Coming out of this draft, they may not need Barksdale. They may want Blalock. Plus, they probably have a decent idea if one or two linemen will shake loose after the draft with certain teams.

Sure, there's a possibility that Barks could sign the contract on the table now but he might as well wait and see what happens. His market is what it is right now and it's not gonna change... but it MIGHT change if a team feels desperate after the draft not getting talent.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Forget the alliteration, the first half title had me thinking of scotch for a second and I thought that had to be on purpose.

Well played.
I do have a big ol' bottle of this stuff at home, and even an empty glass that recently held it will fill the room with a wonderful smell of peat:

ardbeg-10-year-old-whisky.jpg

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
If we enter 2015 season with Barksdale as Depth on the offensive line...Then RAMS are in excellent shape!(y)

I'm not pinning my hopes on Barksdale:eek:...Gawd help us if Snead can't rescue Rams offensive line within 30 days!o_O

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
..............- Peat is basically a tackle and only a tackle
- Someone like Scherff would likely be flexible enough to be a guard, which doesn't necessarily solve RT and leaves us still in the position of needing Barksdale more than he needs us
- Fisher has publicly committed to Robinson at LT, so publicly at least, the Peat choice would be for RT and RT only.........

I sure do not see Peat as just a ORT & RT only. I see Peat as both OLT & ORT. Sure Fisher has declared Greg Robinson his starting OLT & I agree but Fisher has a history of changing his mind from time to time. While Fisher may have a solid OLT candidate in GR what he does not have is a back up or a swing OT on his roster. In fact Fisher does not have a legit starting ORT either. Fisher does have Garrett Reynolds as a reserve ORG/ORT but he is far from being looked at as a starting ORT.

Now I know the Rams do not have any history of OLT going down to injury in the last decade. :palm: But I would suggest that Fisher try to seriously try to find a solution @ starting ORT....Barksdale is NO solution just a stop gap. I would also hope he finally finds a replacement for Wayne Hunter who was our last legit swing OT ....and that was in 2012.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I sure do not see Peat as just a ORT & RT only. I see Peat as both OLT & ORT. Sure Fisher has declared Greg Robinson his starting OLT & I agree but Fisher has a history of changing his mind from time to time. While Fisher may have a solid OLT candidate in GR what he does not have is a back up or a swing OT on his roster. In fact Fisher does not have a legit starting ORT either. Fisher does have Garrett Reynolds as a reserve ORG/ORT but he is far from being looked at as a starting ORT.

Now I know the Rams do not have any history of OLT going down to injury in the last decade. :palm: But I would suggest that Fisher try to seriously try to find a solution @ starting ORT....Barksdale is NO solution just a stop gap. I would also hope he finally finds a replacement for Wayne Hunter who was our last legit swing OT ....and that was in 2012.
I'm mostly talking about the public perception that Barksdale is hearing. "We're committed to Robinson at LT" + Peat isn't really going to be moving to G = Peat on the Rams is a RT.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
My money is on Collins - to quote nil.com - "Collins plays with a mean streak that is evident in every game, and could come in and start right away in a power-running game" sounds like a Fisher type player ;) If we get Barks back, start him at RT, Collins as our RG, Jones as our Centre

Our o-line could be:
Robinson, Saffold, Jones, Collins, Barksdale - I'd be happy with that - or
Robinson, Jones, Rhaney, Saffold, Collins - I'd also be happy with that

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm mostly talking about the public perception that Barksdale is hearing. "We're committed to Robinson at LT" + Peat isn't really going to be moving to G = Peat on the Rams is a RT.

Yes good post & an interesting thought there. I also understand what you was conveying in your post. I just had some heavy thoughts on that "ONLY right OT" comment on Peat.

I in a minority here on the value of Barksdale, however I truly believe that Snead & Boudreau are moving forward with plans without Barksdale, & if he does return to accept the offer that has been out there for a long time.....then that just a small canned cherry on top.

If the Rams were to draft a La'el Collins, Andrus Peat, TJ Clemmings, Ereck Flowers & Jake Fisher ......Barksdale would removed from the starting lineup by the bye week.

Last edited:

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap

Well played.

Ever try Talisker?? If you love a smoky single malt, this is the I've had. (imo) Cheers!:D

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Still hoping for a trade down and an extra first or second so the Rams draft 3 Olinemen in the first 2 rounds! That's right, I said it!:sneaky:

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Ever try Talisker?? If you love a smoky single malt, this is the I've had. (imo) Cheers!:D
Yeah, I've only had one glass of that, at a bar somewhere, and I do remember thinking that it was probably the best I'd had at the time.

One day I'll indulge in a bottle for my liqueur cabinet. I'm with you, I love the smoky single malts.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't like Peat and hope that the is not the pick at ten. He is has all the tools but I don't think he played like he did. Some question his toughness. That does not sound like a Fisher player to me. I think they go with a mean run blocking type.
Something about Peat...Just doesn't scream Pace? It screams Alex Barron...I question his toughness too..Just not a dominant type player for his size & experience. So, I agree with this so much....

Or they could get a first round ORT and then why pay Barksdale when a first round talent would most likely be better than Joe right out of the chute.
Exactly.....I believe several rookies could play to the level Joe displayed last year. I can't believe a bunch of guys here in ROD don't realize how difficult it is to play poorly in a contract year. That is a huge sign....We sign him now, that is surrendering to me.

G-Rob-Cann-Rhaney-Saffold-Flowers

my dream line.....

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam still not happy with our O-line:
Fisher does have Garrett Reynolds as a reserve ORG/ORT but he is far from being looked at as a starting ORT.

But I would suggest that Fisher try to seriously try to find a solution @ starting ORT....
I agree with everything (or at least I see it as a strong possibility) you said in your post.

As for Reynolds, I'll just add to what you said with my view that he isn't even a good solution a guard. I would say that he's a fairly capable backup at both G and RT.

I think you're right that Fisher's desire to find a good solution at RT is his number one priority. Which is why I think they're more likely to draft Collins, Flowers, Humphries or Peat than they are to draft Scherff.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
LACHAMP46 with a ringer:
SEC guy, hmmm...I can't complain, Collins is my second choice, but I'd move him to:

GR_Collins_Rhaney_Saffold_Donovan SMITH

I can see why you might want to move Collins to guard.

I know next to nothing about Smith. He hasn't been on my radar at all because, among other things, I missed the Senior Bowl coverage due to me feeling like crap at the time. Do you think he's a better pass blocker than Collins?

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
My money is on Collins - to quote nil.com - "Collins plays with a mean streak that is evident in every game, and could come in and start right away in a power-running game" sounds like a Fisher type player ;) If we get Barks back, start him at RT, Collins as our RG, Jones as our Centre

Our o-line could be:
Robinson, Saffold, Jones, Collins, Barksdale - I'd be happy with that - or
Robinson, Jones, Rhaney, Saffold, Collins - I'd also be happy with that

I like Collins a lot and would quite happily see him start at LG with Saffold at RG. That's Saffold's best position and, if Barks is re-signed, it immediately gives Barks a chance to be the 2013 version again with Saffold alongside. On that basis, I'm happy to have a rookie like Collins alongside GR on the left hand side. Mason would be drooling when he thinks of running in that direction because Robinson and Collins are both beasts in the run game.

I'm more concerned about the centre position than RT. We're told that its between Barnes, Jones or Rhaney and it would be great if one of them turns into an effective starter but I can't help thinking that Fisher sometimes relies too much on Coach Boudreau's ability to get the best out of his players. That won't always work but we now know he's willing to go out and draft an o lineman high and that needs to continue.