Peat smoke = Message to Barksdale?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I've read a lot about how the Rams are leaning towards Andrus Peat in the 1st next week. I'm beginning to wonder if this is being floated by the Rams' FO as a tactic to push Barksdale's agent into taking a Ram-friendly deal? Here's my reasoning:

- Peat is basically a tackle and only a tackle
- Someone like Scherff would likely be flexible enough to be a guard, which doesn't necessarily solve RT and leaves us still in the position of needing Barksdale more than he needs us
- Fisher has publicly committed to Robinson at LT, so publicly at least, the Peat choice would be for RT and RT only

Anyone thinking we're trying to get a deal with Barks done before the draft, and using a perceived preference for Peat (dig that alliteration, baby!) as leverage?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't like Peat and hope that the is not the pick at ten. He is has all the tools but I don't think he played like he did. Some question his toughness. That does not sound like a Fisher player to me. I think they go with a mean run blocking type. Lael Collins would be a better ORT choice IMO.

I think they have an offer on the table for Barksdale and aren't budging. Then they said maybe after the draft when we could revisit it. Which probably sounded like, "Right now we need to put all of our energy and focus into the upcoming draft". However, it probably meant, "We want to wait and see how the draft plays and if we get a ORT that we like enough, not to increase our offer to Joe".

The guy that I think is really 'tabled' is Blalock. His agent knows that he probably stands to get the best deal if he waits. Teams that miss out on OLGs and need one or a team that has an injury occur in camp will come calling. The Rams again probably have a set offer, will wait until after the draft to see if they need to up the ante.

I really don't see a need for the Rams to be increasing their bid for either guy until they know what they have. They could get a first round Guard and then why pay Blalock. Or they could get a first round ORT and then why pay Barksdale when a first round talent would most likely be better than Joe right out of the chute.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I
then why pay Barksdale when a first round talent would most likely be better than Joe right out of the chute.

You make good points in your post, but I have to say I don't agree with this. I think the last three 1st round tackles we've drafted show that this is probably not the case.
Even the highly touted Robinson wasn't ready to play at first, and in all honesty he wasn't that good when he did. Not to say he won't get better, but just for the 2015 season I don't think we can rely on a rookie to improve on Barksdale from week 1. I have to say I'm much more comfortable signing Barksdale and drafting a G then signing a G and drafting a tackle. Needless to say, I'm not comfortable drafting both and expecting 2 starters.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
It's all pretty interesting to me right now. If you are (and I am) a conspiracy theorist-is it possible the Rams have every intention of signing Barksdale and have an agreement in place, but are withholding that information so that they can blow plenty of smoke showing interest in Peat. Reason being Peat seems to be the only true LT ready to play now and some other team with high interest may not take the chance of him falling if they think the Rams will take him, so they give us a two or something to swap ones with us. Than we take the guy we really want (Cameron Irving) later in the 1st.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You make good points in your post, but I have to say I don't agree with this. I think the last three 1st round tackles we've drafted show that this is probably not the case.
Even the highly touted Robinson wasn't ready to play at first, and in all honesty he wasn't that good when he did. Not to say he won't get better, but just for the 2015 season I don't think we can rely on a rookie to improve on Barksdale from week 1. I have to say I'm much more comfortable signing Barksdale and drafting a G then signing a G and drafting a tackle. Needless to say, I'm not comfortable drafting both and expecting 2 starters.

It depends on who they get. Barksdale is not that good. Otherwise he would be signed by someone already. He was released by the Raiders in his rookie year. He was a reclamation project. I think La'el Collins is better than he is right now. I also think Peat would be better immediately too. Now if they get a guy like Flowers or Humphries he is a bit raw just like Greg Robinson(who is a bad example for you to use because he was very very raw), then sure they need a security blanket like Barksdale to ease the new guy in.

Offensive linemen start their first year very often and are successful at it. Again Greg Robinson was an unusual case because he was drafted purely on potential. He had very little experience with pass protection. This idea that every rookie Olinemen needs to be eased in over a season is not the norm, and replacing a guy like Barksdale is not that hard. Should we bring Davin Joseph back and Scott Wells to ease in, whoever plays at Guard and Center?

RamzFanz

Damnit
If someone trades up to the Rams spot, I bet it will be to grab Parker.

As for Barksdale, there's a lot of interesting stuff here. Who knows. In the end, I think he's coming home.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Has anyone seen anything where someone from the Rams actually said anything about preferring/liking/coveting Peat? I too have seen articles but they are all just writer speculation - and those articles are out there about a dozen or so guys.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Has anyone seen anything where someone from the Rams actually said anything about preferring/liking/coveting Peat? I too have seen articles but they are all just writer speculation - and those articles are out there about a dozen or so guys.
I don't think so but if there was anything like that said from the organization, I would tend believe the opposite. It's smoke season.

jjab360

Legend
Of course no one from the Rams would directly say who they liked in the draft but I haven't even seen anyone claiming they have an anonymous source that that's who the Rams like, which is usually what you hear around this time of year. Does the OP have any links claiming sources?

Anyway, either way, I wouldn't see the point of a smoke screen regarding getting a deal done with Barksdale. It's pretty much guaranteed that they're going to wait until after the draft to deal with Barksdale one way or the other. If it's been leaked that they like Peat either they genuinely just like him more than Barks who struggled at times last year or they're trying to get someone to trade up who has an interest in Peat.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
It depends on who they get. Barksdale is not that good. Otherwise he would be signed by someone already. He was released by the Raiders in his rookie year. He was a reclamation project. I think La'el Collins is better than he is right now. I also think Peat would be better immediately too. Now if they get a guy like Flowers or Humphries he is a bit raw just like Greg Robinson(who is a bad example for you to use because he was very very raw), then sure they need a security blanket like Barksdale to ease the new guy in.

Offensive linemen start their first year very often and are successful at it. Again Greg Robinson was an unusual case because he was drafted purely on potential. He had very little experience with pass protection. This idea that every rookie Olinemen needs to be eased in over a season is not the norm, and replacing a guy like Barksdale is not that hard. Should we bring Davin Joseph back and Scott Wells to ease in, whoever plays at Guard and Center?

Peat and Collins are just another version of "depends on who you talk to." It's funny about Barksdale. Week 8 he was considered a steady decent performer. Year before that the same. He did not play well the last 8 games. He's an average tackle who isn't good enough to play next to Davin Joseph. He's a one year deal guy. You don't think rookie tackles have problems with speed rushers? Would you be comfortable taking one of those two you talked about if tackle wasn't a huge problem? I can't say that for sure, but I am pretty sure I wouldn't be against Scherff at G even if we weren't desperate.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I have to say I'm much more comfortable signing Barksdale and drafting a G then signing a G and drafting a tackle. Needless to say, I'm not comfortable drafting both and expecting 2 starters.

Honestly, I don't see why we can't do both. Not saying they will, but I would favor it. We can strengthen depth while training up the rookies, and start the season with established vets.
If we were to re-sign Barksdale for a one year prove-it deal similar to what Wisniewski received, he could start ahead of, say a Flowers, for a few weeks until the rookie was felt to be prepared for NFL action. In essence, Barks would become a stop-gap. The same holds true at Center should we draft Erving, Barnes/Jones are stop-gap starters until the rookie is ready. Finishing the process would be bringing in a veteran LG like Mathis, a pro-bowler who could soften the blow from an inexperienced LT and Center. Two free agents and two draftees sets the OL with a good mix of veteran and young drafted talent, with depth at a higher level than anything we've seen in these parts for years.
jmo.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I haven't read anything regarding the Rams leaning towards selecting Peat.
Mostly stuff filtering through Twitter and the other forum. Wagoner has mentioned Peat by name once or twice the past few days. Might be nothing.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I think Snead and Fisher are going to select whoever falls.

The smart money on a falling player is one of the top 3 WRs.
Could be Scherff depending on how high he is on the Rams board.
Could be the Pitt OT, because Fisher loves the athletic guys.

Is there a clear pick for us there? No. When you factor in Snead's ability to wheel and deal, everything goes out the window. I'm expecting nothing, and preparing for everything. Such is the life of a Rams fan since the 2012 draft.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Honestly, I don't see why we can't do both. Not saying they will, but I would favor it. We can strengthen depth while training up the rookies, and start the season with established vets.
If we were to re-sign Barksdale for a one year prove-it deal similar to what Wisniewski received, he could start ahead of, say a Flowers, for a few weeks until the rookie was felt to be prepared for NFL action. In essence, Barks would become a stop-gap. The same holds true at Center should we draft Erving, Barnes/Jones are stop-gap starters until the rookie is ready. Finishing the process would be bringing in a veteran LG like Mathis, a pro-bowler who could soften the blow from an inexperienced LT and Center. Two free agents and two draftees sets the OL with a good mix of veteran and young drafted talent, with depth at a higher level than anything we've seen in these parts for years.
jmo.

I agree. We need to sign a couple of FAs for the line and draft OL as well. If it's only one FA I think Barksdale give us the most draft day flexibility.